Lincoln Legislation consultation & general Discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lincoln Legislation consultation & general Discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln Legislation consultation & general Discussion thread  (Read 1111 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »

While I love the general discussion we are having in all bills reciently, we have been directing a large amount of it to the wrong place: The legislation introduction thread.

So I'm opening this thread for any discussion on legislation that has not yet been introduced to the floor of the Council, in order to keep the Legislation introduction thread exclusively for legislation.

Link to the Legislation introduction thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=318808.0

Let's hope we can keep this high of an activity level! The council has really surprised me and this has been a phenomenal start!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:11:59 PM »

Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act

to return Lincoln to a common sense reproductive health law

Section I

1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Act (L 11.30) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

1. This act takes effect immediately upon signing by the governor.

I don’t think this makes sense, as we just ended an anti-abortion amendment to the single payer bill

Also would like to add similarly, what is the point of repealing an abortion abn, if we are banning funding for it, KEEP THE BAN!!!!!!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 05:10:08 AM »

Regarding abortion, the ammendment I accepted for the Single Payer Act is a ban on funding abortions indeed (minus those for rape or to save the mother of course).

However remember, it only bans funding for abortions, not abortion itself. I do believe that while abortion on demand should be legal, it shouldn't be funded, especially not for everybody (funding for low income familiesm who can't afford might be ok though)

If both the Abortion Ban Repeal and the Single Payer act pass, abortion will still be legal in Lincoln, it's just that people will have to pay for it themselves. (or get some sort of extra insurance that covers abortion, but I doubt such a thing would exist).

It may be a worthwhile idea to pass another law (or an ammendment to the Abortion Ban Repeal) funding abortions for low income mothers but separate from the LHS.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:43:31 AM »

Is there a reason the abortion bill jumped the line in front of like 4 other bill ideas in the queue? Is bill order not handled in a reasonable fashion like in order of when it was posted to the queue?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:50:40 AM »

Is there a reason the abortion bill jumped the line in front of like 4 other bill ideas in the queue? Is bill order not handled in a reasonable fashion like in order of when it was posted to the queue?

What que did it skip?

The current government slots aren't even filled. You must be mixing up the opposition order.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »

What que did it skip?

The current government slots aren't even filled. You must be mixing up the opposition order.

Im referring to this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=318808.0

The abortion bill was like the 5th bill posted but got floor time immediately ahead of the other 4.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »

The government/opposition dynamic.

Currently the 2 opposition slots are occupied, but the government has not filled all slots.

Those 4 bills were all proposed by the opposition so until an opposition slot gets freed, they will have to wait in the queue.

Of course if any government Councillor co-sponsors them, they will be brought to the floor as government legislation
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »

Currently the 2 opposition slots are occupied, but the government has not filled all slots.

Those 4 bills were all proposed by the opposition so until an opposition slot gets freed, they will have to wait in the queue.

Of course if any government Councillor co-sponsors them, they will be brought to the floor as government legislation

Wait, really? That's retarded. Is that just a dumb debate rule that can be easily changed or is that part of the Parliament bill of goods Lincoln got sold? I remember the argument made the weekend of the Parliament referendum was that Parliament was totally gonna be better at reducing partisanship. I dont know how many slots there are but it sounds like you are saying there can be 25 bills awaiting floor time in the legislation introduction thread and there could be open slots and only 2 bills on the floor, and under the rules none of those 25 would ever make it to the floor because the elected legislator who introduced it is in the wrong party? How in the hell is that considered good governance or reducing Partisanship? What even is the point of playing this game in Lincoln if elected legislators arent even entitled to have bills considered on the floor? I get having rules where if you already have a few bills on the floor and there are pending bills by someone else you can prioritize the new author. But to indefinitely keep empty slots open when there are pending bills is definite mismanagement. Between this and automatic adjournment is it any surprise the Lincoln government rarely accomplishes anything?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »

Wait, really? That's retarded. Is that just a dumb debate rule that can be easily changed or is that part of the Parliament bill of goods Lincoln got sold? I remember the argument made the weekend of the Parliament referendum was that Parliament was totally gonna be better at reducing partisanship. I dont know how many slots there are but it sounds like you are saying there can be 25 bills awaiting floor time in the legislation introduction thread and there could be open slots and only 2 bills on the floor, and under the rules none of those 25 would ever make it to the floor because the elected legislator who introduced it is in the wrong party? How in the hell is that considered good governance or reducing Partisanship? What even is the point of playing this game in Lincoln if elected legislators arent even entitled to have bills considered on the floor? I get having rules where if you already have a few bills on the floor and there are pending bills by someone else you can prioritize the new author. But to indefinitely keep empty slots open when there are pending bills is definite mismanagement. Between this and automatic adjournment is it any surprise the Lincoln government rarely accomplishes anything?

I have just introduced a bill to add more legislation slots
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »

I have just introduced a bill to add more legislation slots

Much appreciated. Sorry if my hangover rant above was a little blunt. It just seems crazy that after like a month long slowdown that bills that are written and pending cant be discussed due to the party of the Legislator who wrote it when there are open floor slots.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »

Worth noting that the opposition/government dynamic is enshrined in the Lincoln Constitution.

You can get around it by greatly expanding the number of slots so that it is irrelevant, but still far from ideal. It's supposed to replicate the fact that in parliamentary systems the government is the one that gets its agenda on the floor.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »

It has come to my attention that some disturbing messages have been posted on Discord

Discord Regulation Bill

I. All Discord posts by a Lincoln Councilor shall be viewed by all Councilors

II. A Discord post can be grounds for censure or impeachment of a Lincoln Councilor

III. Any Councilor who repeatedly posts offensive or discriminatory messages on discord shall be automatically recalled

IV. This bill takes effect, immediately after being signed by the governor

I hope to get bipartisan support for this bill, as elected officials we need to be held to high standards and serve as role models for our community, those Discord posts are not indicative of being role models.

You can't regulate activities on Discord. It's not going to work.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »

It has come to my attention that some disturbing messages have been posted on Discord

Discord Regulation Bill

I. All Discord posts by a Lincoln Councilor shall be viewed by all Councilors

II. A Discord post can be grounds for censure or impeachment of a Lincoln Councilor

III. Any Councilor who repeatedly posts offensive or discriminatory messages on discord shall be automatically recalled

IV. This bill takes effect, immediately after being signed by the governor

I hope to get bipartisan support for this bill, as elected officials we need to be held to high standards and serve as role models for our community, those Discord posts are not indicative of being role models.

You can't regulate activities on Discord. It's not going to work.

Of course it isn't. It's both downright unenforceable and unconstitutional, even if the intention is to reduce animosity, it's not something we can forcibly regulate.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »

Ok, after looking at thr's huge surge in bills, I am glad we have government and opposition slots separated Tongue

Also, many are certainly important bills. A criminal code, a civil code, etc. Almost makes me think we might "legislate for everything" and "win Atlasia" Tongue
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »

Ok, after looking at thr's huge surge in bills, I am glad we have government and opposition slots separated Tongue

Also, many are certainly important bills. A criminal code, a civil code, etc. Almost makes me think we might "legislate for everything" and "win Atlasia" Tongue

Would you rather break them up into 30 pieces?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 09:01:15 PM »

Would you rather break them up into 30 pieces?

No I think you missunderstood me. There are a lot of very important bills in there. Almost too many. We normally get what, 2-3 "big bills" in a single session? (like for example so far in this Council the Education Act and the Single payer Act if we end up passing them). Not sure if having a huge amount all together is a good or bad thing.

I certainly appreciate the work even if it is a bit too quick. Also because of how Lincoln works, the opposition can't really do anything else now. I will miss SNJC's bills Tongue

Though I will say the "Lincoln Government Reform Act" is an extremely weird pairing (An Israel bill, a lottery bill and a workers "rights" bill with an anti-union provision?)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 06:24:06 AM »

I have to say that abortion is quite weird and controversial as an issue right now in Lincoln. Especially considering the current Council is 100% male Tongue
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »

Public Space Reclamation Act

Section I: Homeless Liberation

1. The Region of Lincoln shall ensure fair housing to the homeless by the establishment of the Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
    a. The budget for the department shall be 3% of the annual Lincoln budget
    b. The department shall ensure that the needs of the Homeless are ensured
        I. 35% of the budget shall be designated for nutritional needs of the homeless
        II. 40% of the budget shall be taking care of housing concerns
             1. The creation of public homeless shelters (40%)
             2. Sanitation and inspection control (60%)
             3. In no way, when faced with crowded conditions and need of supply, shall the government of Lincoln pay for rent
       c. In crowded conditions among a lack of supply, homeless and landless people shall be sent to vacant private housing
            I. Taking up 10% of each building unit
            II. Kicking out renters for room is deemed a breach of protocol
                1. Punishable by a $5,000 fine
        d. The D.L.P. shall be run as a rotating collective
             1. In which each collective body is split based on ZIP codes
             2. The head chair shall be decided on a Raffle
             3. Picked chairs from each individual Zip Cope shall be placed on the bottom of the list
             4. Each branch shall include at least 50% currently homeless people
2. The Region of Lincoln shall allocate 35% of its Luxury Tax to pay for the establishment of subsidized
    housing for the landless people of Lincoln
3. Any vagrancy or squatting laws in Lincoln are hereby abolished
4. Anti-homeless architecture is hereby deemed illegal in Lincoln
   a. Such as
        I. Spikes on public property clearly in reach of a possible sleeping area
        II. Middle handles on benches or other flat space on public property

Section II: Establishments of Party Towns
1. The Region of Lincoln shall issue permits for festivities, carnivals, raves, and other fun activities on 25% of currently vacant lots not owned by the public or private sources
      a. These “Party Towns” shall abide by all regulations established on official areas of the public
           I. Sanitation laws, zoning, etc.
      b. The tickets and pricing available will be fully subsidized by the government
      c. Third party businesses will be able to operate on the lots
           I. Must employ no more than thirty people
           II. Pricing will be negotiated beforehand with the government
           III. Half of the private businesses shall be run by Carnies and street performers that are given permits
            IV. Music venues shall be ran accordingly with those selected by a team in the Atlasian Public Radio.
        d. The Party Towns shall be run every three years
        e. The Party Towns shall only occur on the poorest 8% of statistical areas
Section III: initiation

1. This act takes effect on June 28th, 2024

What an awful bill.
Also  atlas autolog out lol.

3% of Lincolns budget for around 200k homeless means 100k+ spent per homeless person. Absurd.

Also lol at Property owners property being temporarily confiscated by the government for the crime of having it empty. I fail to see how this isn't worse than civil asset forfeiture .I would never want to give a home I own to a meth head or mentally ill person without a significant premium/security deposit due to the likelihood of a house value drop.

Why is squatting legalized? You don't have a right to use another's property although I wouldn't mind this being decriminalized for pure land use such as a forest or a empty lot.

Mostly fine with the anti homeless architecture ban provided private individuals can still scare away homeless people.
Also its one thing to subsidize one's needs but now we have to subsidize their parties?

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 12:41:27 PM »

1. The Region of Lincoln shall ensure fair housing to the homeless by the establishment of the Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
             3. In no way, when faced with crowded conditions and need of supply, shall the government of Lincoln pay for rent
       c. In crowded conditions among a lack of supply, homeless and landless people shall be sent to vacant private housing
             3. Picked chairs from each individual Zip Cope shall be placed on the bottom of the list
2. The Region of Lincoln shall allocate 35% of its Luxury Tax to pay for the establishment of subsidized
   a. Such as

1. The Region of Lincoln shall issue permits for festivities, carnivals, raves, and other fun activities on 25% of currently vacant lots not owned by the public or private sources
      a. These “Party Towns” shall abide by all regulations established on official areas of the public
           III. Half of the private businesses shall be run by Carnies and street performers that are given permits
            IV. Music venues shall be ran accordingly with those selected by a team in the Atlasian Public Radio.

What an awful bill.

3% of Lincolns budget for around 200k homeless means 100k+ spent per homeless person. Absurd.

Also lol at Property owners property being temporarily confiscated by the government for the crime of having it empty. I fail to see how this isn't worse than civil asset forfeiture .I would never want to give a home I own to a meth head or mentally ill person without a significant premium/security deposit due to the likelihood of a house value drop.

Why is squatting legalized? You don't have a right to use another's property although I wouldn't mind this being decriminalized for pure land use such as a forest or a empty lot.

Mostly fine with the anti homeless architecture ban provided private individuals can still scare away homeless people.
Also its one thing to subsidize one's needs but now we have to subsidize their parties.

Confiscate people's houses for being empty, but dont even think of suggesting borrowing empty legislative slots if the bill author doesnt have the right letter next to their name.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 12:51:50 PM »

Lincoln Defensive Counter Act

Section I: Preamble

Recently, the South has begun to unfairly attract Yankee businesses unanimously. This is an unfair travesty of one region thinking it can do whatever it wishes. This is an attack on not just the ethics and precedent of the Federal government or the other two regions, but the citizens of Atlasia of a whole. To combat this, I ask the committee to —preferably in a United and Unanimous Front — to move with speed with a counter

Section II: Recouping lost profits

1. To regain any lost revenue, the Region of Lincoln shall
    a. Disestablish Business taxes for businesses leaving the South and settling in Lincoln for seven   
        years, then a tax rate of just 30% of the current Lincoln corporate tax for ten years
           I. Further incentives activated from the Southern government will be met by a 15% positive difference
    b. Property belonging to any of the current instigators of S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act or
        any future pro-Southern theft in the Lincoln region will be appropriated without compensation.
          I. To be eligible, one must approve of such acts or actions
    c. A 5% Tariff rate shall be applied to all goods from the Southern Region

Section III: Legal action from all angles

1. The Region of Lincoln shall sue the government of the South for the repeal of S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act for unfair treatment
2. The government of Lincoln shall seek penalties on the ringleaders of this amendment for treason and sedition against Atlasia

Section IV: Further pressures

1. The distribution, production, and ownership of any Southern memorabilia is hereby illegal
     a. Southern memorabilia is defined as
         I. Any iteration of the flags of the South
         II. Trinkets that glorify the South in any way
         III. Inter-regional memorabilia commemorating Southern sub-units
               1. Does not apply to Indigenous and/or African-American symbology
      b. Punishment will
          I. range from a $5,000–15,000 fine
          II. 10 years in prison without parole
2. The instigators are
     a.barred from entering Lincoln for the remainder of this crisis

3. The National Guard will be impacted for the time of this crisis by
    a. Being mobilized on the Southern-Lincoln border
    b. Being allocated a 40% increase in current funding
    c. Firing any employees deemed a security risk to Lincoln by the exhibition of Southern support
 4. The Home Front will be energized with a
     a. Increase in Lincoln spending on the arts with regards to our contribution to the 1861-5 civil war of 20%
     b. Clear communication with the press
5. All treaties signed with the South by the Lincoln government still active are hereby nullified.
Section V: Enactment policies

1. This act takes effect ten days from the enactment of the S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act
    a. Will expire or not he enacted if S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act and any other
         act against the rest of the country is repealed

I understand the drive behind this legislation, but it just goes way too far. We should definitely look toward bringing about a fair solution to this problem that ensures there's no bad blood between regions.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »

Lincoln Defensive Counter Act

Section I: Preamble

Recently, the South has begun to unfairly attract Yankee businesses unanimously. This is an unfair travesty of one region thinking it can do whatever it wishes. This is an attack on not just the ethics and precedent of the Federal government or the other two regions, but the citizens of Atlasia of a whole. To combat this, I ask the committee to —preferably in a United and Unanimous Front — to move with speed with a counter

Section II: Recouping lost profits

1. To regain any lost revenue, the Region of Lincoln shall
    a. Disestablish Business taxes for businesses leaving the South and settling in Lincoln for seven   
        years, then a tax rate of just 30% of the current Lincoln corporate tax for ten years
           I. Further incentives activated from the Southern government will be met by a 15% positive difference
    b. Property belonging to any of the current instigators of S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act or
        any future pro-Southern theft in the Lincoln region will be appropriated without compensation.
          I. To be eligible, one must approve of such acts or actions
    c. A 5% Tariff rate shall be applied to all goods from the Southern Region

Section III: Legal action from all angles

1. The Region of Lincoln shall sue the government of the South for the repeal of S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act for unfair treatment
2. The government of Lincoln shall seek penalties on the ringleaders of this amendment for treason and sedition against Atlasia

Section IV: Further pressures

1. The distribution, production, and ownership of any Southern memorabilia is hereby illegal
     a. Southern memorabilia is defined as
         I. Any iteration of the flags of the South
         II. Trinkets that glorify the South in any way
         III. Inter-regional memorabilia commemorating Southern sub-units
               1. Does not apply to Indigenous and/or African-American symbology
      b. Punishment will
          I. range from a $5,000–15,000 fine
          II. 10 years in prison without parole
2. The instigators are
     a.barred from entering Lincoln for the remainder of this crisis

3. The National Guard will be impacted for the time of this crisis by
    a. Being mobilized on the Southern-Lincoln border
    b. Being allocated a 40% increase in current funding
    c. Firing any employees deemed a security risk to Lincoln by the exhibition of Southern support
 4. The Home Front will be energized with a
     a. Increase in Lincoln spending on the arts with regards to our contribution to the 1861-5 civil war of 20%
     b. Clear communication with the press
5. All treaties signed with the South by the Lincoln government still active are hereby nullified.
Section V: Enactment policies

1. This act takes effect ten days from the enactment of the S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act
    a. Will expire or not he enacted if S.19.2-21: Southern Investment Act and any other
         act against the rest of the country is repealed

I understand the drive behind this legislation, but it just goes way too far. We should definitely look toward bringing about a fair solution to this problem that ensures there's no bad blood between regions.
This amendment will be left inactive if the South stops their own aggravations against Lincoln.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »

a. Such as

What an awful bill.

Also its one thing to subsidize one's needs but now we have to subsidize their parties.

Confiscate people's houses for being empty, but dont even think of suggesting borrowing empty legislative slots if the bill author doesnt have the right letter next to their name.
My main purpose of this amendment was to gage how the atmosphere would be like and to begin crafting a more passable bill in debate. I would be open to any and all suggestions when we get there.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »

Regarding the Lincoln Defensive Counter Act, I have to say it is a blatantly unconstitutional piece of legislation.

While I do think interregional commerce has to be fair and that the Southern bill is a bad bill and possibly unconstitutional, that one is 100% unconstitutional.

Section II.1.c is blatantly unconstitutional as it directly contradicts the federal constitution.

Also that bill goes way too far and there are some arguably unenforceable provisions like the one requiring a lawsuit (unless Pyro appoints a minister of justice or sues himself on behalf of Lincoln)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »

Regarding the Lincoln Defensive Counter Act, I have to say it is a blatantly unconstitutional piece of legislation.

While I do think interregional commerce has to be fair and that the Southern bill is a bad bill and possibly unconstitutional, that one is 100% unconstitutional.

Section II.1.c is blatantly unconstitutional as it directly contradicts the federal constitution.

Also that bill goes way too far and there are some arguably unenforceable provisions like the one requiring a lawsuit (unless Pyro appoints a minister of justice or sues himself on behalf of Lincoln)
Once introduced onto the floor, I would be willing to cut the unconstitutional and exaggerated provisions. Again, my main purpose of this Amendment was to protect the region of Lincoln and get the point across, of which it seems some progress is being made.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »

For various reasons, I have pulled down the Lincoln Defensive Counter Act and Public Space Reclamation Act. The first bill is no longer necessary now that the causing legislation is deemed unconstitutional. With the leading drive of that bill rendered mute, and intraregional dialogue present, I felt no need to press on with it. On the second act, the comments of its unfeasibility held true in several regards, mostly on the leadership selection and budget allocations. Due to the spoken popularity of some key aspects present, after some needed trimming, there was enough left to craft a more appropriate legislation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies