Atlasians for Toll Roads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:38:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasians for Toll Roads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasians for Toll Roads  (Read 794 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

Hey, Atlasia

This is an advocacy group for toll roads

If you want to keep your taxes low and would rather have toll roads, which you can choose not to use please sign below!!!!

This is the signup for the Atlasians for Toll Roads Advocacy Group
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtOEig1l8SA
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 05:11:57 PM »

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »

Uh, I prefer not having toll roads, thank you very much. Toll roads do have their uses, but they are a necessary evil and should be avoided if possible.

We already have ways of taxing car owners like taxes on fuel and maybe on vehicle ownership as well (correct me if I am wrong)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »

Uh, I prefer not having toll roads, thank you very much. Toll roads do have their uses, but they are a necessary evil and should be avoided if possible.

We already have ways of taxing car owners like taxes on fuel and maybe on vehicle ownership as well (correct me if I am wrong)

So federally there is a tax on gas, diesel, kerosene, and other similar fuels.
There is a tax on tires.
There is a tax on heavy trucks and similar vehicles (technically the axles)
There is a tax on vehicles with low gas mileage
Fund matching from the Regions

Regionally, options can include the above taxes, revenue bonds and infrastructure banks, fund matching or minimum assessments from developers during subdivision, road naming and billboard revenue, special one-time taxes for specific projects, and from general revenues. Transportation infrastructure is site specific so often what projects are desired determines the best funding sources.

thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »

A toll is effectively the same as a tax, except you are paying it in the middle of a journey, which slows down travel times and clogs up smaller roads due to people wanting to avoid expensive toll roads. It is a less efficient system.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »

Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »

A toll is effectively the same as a tax, except you are paying it in the middle of a journey, which slows down travel times and clogs up smaller roads due to people wanting to avoid expensive toll roads. It is a less efficient system.

This is why you use an e-tag system.

Also it means those getting the benefit of the roads use the infrastructure are the ones who pay for it. I only am amenable to a toll for a period until the cost of the road is paid off.
Otherwise it's just another drip feeding cash grab from the government. Or a private business which has no incentive to stop charging.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM »

Also it means those getting the benefit of the roads use the infrastructure are the ones who pay for it. I only am amenable to a toll for a period until the cost of the road is paid off.
Otherwise it's just another drip feeding cash grab from the government. Or a private business which has no incentive to stop charging.

Those two notions are contradictory, though. On the one hand, you’re advocating the use of a system that would probably be costly to implement and would require people to make a change and buy the user side of a system - given the costs to both the government and population, this is a change generally advisable only if the system is going to be permanent.

On the other hand, you’re then saying that all toll roads should be temporary until it’s paid off. Doesn’t make much sense to me.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »

Those two notions are contradictory, though. On the one hand, you’re advocating the use of a system that would probably be costly to implement and would require people to make a change and buy the user side of a system - given the costs to both the government and population, this is a change generally advisable only if the system is going to be permanent.

On the other hand, you’re then saying that all toll roads should be temporary until it’s paid off. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Here you can see how I approach this issue

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=318808.0
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »

Here you can see how I approach this issue

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=318808.0

Under your bill the toll to drive from Philly to Buffalo would be $285 DOLLARS.
The toll is 75 cents per mile. Do you not think that no one would ever possibly pay such exorbitant tolls?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 09:42:52 PM »

The Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia is over $1.00 per mile, plus if people do not want to pay the toll, they can take a different road, but they have the option to pay, if they want
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »

The Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia is over $1.00 per mile, plus if people do not want to pay the toll, they can take a different road, but they have the option to pay, if they want

It's not just a matter of "wanting to pay" the toll, though.  Tolls punish poor drivers, and those dollars add up when working-class folks are trying to navigate to and from work.

Unrelated to tolls, this whole debate inspired me to introduce an anti-punishing-poor-drivers bill in Parliament.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »

Hell no
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 10:00:52 PM »

Do you really think anyone is going to take it at that rate though? That's like offering government provided trips to the moon for only $145 Million one way.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 10:07:42 PM »

Unrelated to tolls, this whole debate inspired me to introduce an anti-punishing-poor-drivers bill in Parliament.

so you're cutting tax on petrol?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 10:14:36 PM »

so you're cutting tax on petrol?

Criminal justice is a more urgent matter, in my opinion.  We've already shifted taxes on energy resources several times over the past year.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »

Do you really think anyone is going to take it at that rate though? That's like offering government provided trips to the moon for only $145 Million one way.

The point is, we are giving them the choice, and if even a few people take the deal, that is profit for Lincoln, and it’s being used on infrastructure so, it will help the people, whatever tolls that they pay
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 11:09:12 PM »

Idea 1.
Quote from: Muaddib
This was in response to
Quote from: Representative Thumb21
...slows down travel times and clogs up smaller roads due to people wanting to avoid expensive toll roads. It is a less efficient system.

Idea 2. (separate paragraph) of which Key point was
Quote from: Muaddib
I only am amenable to a toll for a period until the cost of the road is paid off.
I don't have an issue with a toll as a mean of funding new infrastructure. It means it will pay for itself over the period of the toll by the people who use the road. The fee can be a token amount it doesn't need to be an expensive toll. Tolls on existing roads is just a cash grab.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 11:27:19 PM »

?

It's $8 on summer weekends, $2 the rest of the time, for 16 miles of road.   Regular users can pay a monthly fee to save money.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 04:53:00 AM »

But everyone benefits from the existence of roads, even people who don't drive at all. This disincentives even local commerce when you have to seriously regulate even small journeys. Ultimately, everyone will still pay, but it will be through higher prices.

I also don't like the idea of having a government tracking device in my car simply for the privilege of being able to drive to work.

This is a problem, not a solution. More people on minor roads makes life difficult for locals, and means that more money will have to be spent on their maintenance to allow for more traffic. It increases journey times as people will be using roads with lower speed limits and more obstacles. This means a weaker economy also, time is money.

Its not really fair framing to present this as a matter of choice either. Unless you are going on a day trip or on holiday, you are likely using the road in relation to your job, not just commuting but also jobs that require you to travel more, such as truck driving, construction, mobile mechanic ect. For most people, driving is a necessity, not a luxury.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 06:37:14 AM »

The point is, we are giving them the choice, and if even a few people take the deal, that is profit for Lincoln, and it’s being used on infrastructure so, it will help the people, whatever tolls that they pay

It wont be profit. You have to pay to build this mega highway upfront. Tolls are to recoup the cost. If you spend $100 million to build a toll road and only collect a few thousand dollars each year, thats not profit at all. Thats like saying you've "won" at gambling when you dump $100 in a slot machine and finally win a $20 payout.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »

This disincentives even local commerce when you have to seriously regulate even small journeys. Ultimately, everyone will still pay, but it will be through higher prices.

So you're cutting tax on petrol then?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies