Senseless Gun Deaths thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:20:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senseless Gun Deaths thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Senseless Gun Deaths thread.  (Read 5662 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:08:40 AM »

Sensible gun laws would save lives in the United States. Unfortunately, until reform is enacted, innocent Americans will continue to die. The loss of these people is heartbreaking, but often doesn't get much coverage. I'll be posting the stories I hear about in this thread because their lives matter.

Seven-year-old girl dies after being shot in the head

Non-fatal injuries:
Man allegedly shot 2-year-old son in face with shotgun during argument with child's mom
2 children shot in road rage incident involving father
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »

Sensible gun laws would save lives in the United States. Unfortunately, until reform is enacted, innocent Americans will continue to die. The loss of these people is heartbreaking, but often doesn't get much coverage. I'll be posting the stories I hear about in this thread because their lives matter.

Seven-year-old girl dies after being shot in the head

Non-fatal injuries:
Man allegedly shot 2-year-old son in face with shotgun during argument with child's mom
2 children shot in road rage incident involving father

Okay, I'm listening ... go on ... state a case...
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »

Tell me how stricter gun laws will stopped "gun violence". They won't.
Republicans always talk about this philisophically and hypothetically, which is very unnecessary when there is MOUNTAINS of data and evidence from Canada Australia Europe et cetera ad infinitum to show what works and what doesn't.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2019, 12:18:40 PM by mathstatman »

One left-leaning friend of mine suggested requiring firearm safety classes for everyone, even non-owners. Possibly not a bad idea. We (the American people, one person at a time) needs to change the culture so that an untrained person carrying (not simply owning) a firearm with intent to use it becomes unthinkable.

The vast, vast majority of firearm owners who train and practice at the local sportsperson's (?) club have never used the firearm irresponsibly and never shot anyone, nor has anyone in their family. As for firearm suicides, I think a solution is better access to mental health services, so that people are not driven to attempt such an act even by a less lethal method.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »

Tell me how stricter gun laws will stopped "gun violence". They won't. Criminals and the mentally ill don't follow the laws. Do criminals and the mentally ill care if the school is a "Gun Free Zone". Of course not! They'll go into the schools and start shooting anyway. If you outlaw guns, only that outlaws will have guns. Assuming that everybody is a law abiding citizen and that laws are unbreakable is very illogical and unrealistic.
I question how well we are enforcing those laws currently on the books, to say nothing of enacting new laws.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »

Republicans always talk about this philisophically and hypothetically, which is very unnecessary when there is MOUNTAINS of data and evidence from Canada Australia Europe et cetera ad infinitum to show what works and what doesn't.
Gun control doesn’t mean that mass casualty events still can’t happen. Just ask the people of Marseilles.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »

Gun control doesn’t mean that mass casualty events still can’t happen. Just ask the people of Marseilles.
It means less of them and added difficulty in enacting them. Mass casualty events are only part of it.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »

Nothing will ever make my views on this issue budge.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »

Is there any evidence that the guns used in these stories were obtained without a background check? The only gun law that would prevent this is a full on ban for everyone, which is tyranny.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »

I'm not sure what you're thinking about - but two people killed in a stabbing attack, while obviously horrific, would seem to be significantly less bad than the kinds of mass shootings you get in the US?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 02:06:28 PM »

I'm not sure what you're thinking about - but two people killed in a stabbing attack, while obviously horrific, would seem to be significantly less bad than the kinds of mass shootings you get in the US?
My bad - the incident I’m referencing was the truck attack, but that was actually in Nice.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »

I mean, then you are probably not challenging your beliefs enough, lol. If you have a constant stream of articles stating the pro-gun position to me, I would probably change my beliefs.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »

I mean, then you are probably not challenging your beliefs enough, lol. If you have a constant stream of articles stating the pro-gun position to me, I would probably change my beliefs.

This is where I am ... I am generally pro-gun rights but do not see the true encroachment/problem with something like universal background checks pose (though I will be weary if we start getting too strict with who can buy a gun ... a guy who got a public intox last year, for example, should not be barred from owning his hunting rifle because he's supposedly unruly and dangerous), and I did not used to think that way.  I have been swayed by listening to people argue in favor of them.  I have NOT, however, been swayed to believe that gun control beyond that will be any more effective than the War on Drugs was at stopping people from getting drugs or that "gun culture" is some massive and impactful problem on American culture ... I have never seen a news story of your stereotypical gun loving redneck that likes to go to the shooting range and hunt with his uncle shooting up a school.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »

How about bombs and planes?

We've already talked about this sweety. Confusing "things that really happened" with "things that only happened in your head" is not a great place to be, intellectually speaking.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 05:17:46 PM »

This is where I am ... I am generally pro-gun rights but do not see the true encroachment/problem with something like universal background checks pose (though I will be weary if we start getting too strict with who can buy a gun ... a guy who got a public intox last year, for example, should not be barred from owning his hunting rifle because he's supposedly unruly and dangerous), and I did not used to think that way.  I have been swayed by listening to people argue in favor of them.  I have NOT, however, been swayed to believe that gun control beyond that will be any more effective than the War on Drugs was at stopping people from getting drugs or that "gun culture" is some massive and impactful problem on American culture ... I have never seen a news story of your stereotypical gun loving redneck that likes to go to the shooting range and hunt with his uncle shooting up a school.
This is about where I am too. Though I think everyone needs mandatory testing to show they can use it and if they fail, the government will provide free classes to teach you.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

Leftists: Too many people on the planet; get abortions and don't breed.

Also Leftists: Too many people are dying by guns BAN THEM.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:30 PM »

The majority of left wingers in America don't say or believe either of those things.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »

There is a nothing inconsistent between wanting to decrease the earth's surplus population and wanting to allow the people already on it to live pain-free existences. Those are the same goal since less competition for finite resources and less damage to the earth will cause living standards to decline less precipitously.

Next you'll tell me that it is ideologically inconsistent to support healthcare because we want the population to fall. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to get to live after their working years.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »

There is a nothing inconsistent between wanting to decrease the earth's surplus population and wanting to allow the people already on it to live pain-free existences. Those are the same goal since less competition for finite resources and less damage to the earth will cause living standards to decline less precipitously.

Next you'll tell me that it is ideologically inconsistent to support healthcare because we want the population to fall. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to get to live after their working years.

Pain-free like those aborted fetuses and incels right? LOL
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 10:57:19 PM »

Pain-free like those aborted fetuses and incels right? LOL

I am radically pro-life to an unspeakable extent though naturally support massive efforts to provide contraceptives to the impoverished (again, for the benefit of literally everyone on this earth). But I guess you owned me because "incels" (Huh) is somehow related to this discussion on why we should have gun rights and/or not healthcare (Huh).
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »

It's pretty disgusting that several posters in here seem to think a criminal is something irreducible that a person is, rather than crime being something that people do. It has the rhetorical benefit of meaning nobody who hasn't committed a crime can be a criminal, because otherwise they would have committed a crime; and afterwards, when they've committed a crime, we couldn't have stopped it because they're a criminal, as proven by the fact that they committed a crime!

Unless, of course, it's a white kid who raped a girl. We wouldn't want to ruin his future over this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »

a semantics argument AND a strawman about race, you win the thread brother!
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »

Whoosh!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »

Whoosh!

Put me in the Whoosh™ Category, lol ... such a random comment for this thread.  It reads like it should be in the "Should felons be allowed to vote while in prision?" discussion, where it would at least be a relevant if misguided and simplified take.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »

Whoosh!

Put me in the Whoosh™ Category, lol ... such a random comment for this thread.  It reads like it should be in the "Should felons be allowed to vote while in prision?" discussion, where it would at least be a relevant if misguided and simplified take.

It was a direct response to those in here saying that gun laws are pointless because CrImInAlS will always break laws because it is their nature. This makes no sense, especially because "criminals" is defined only after the fact.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies