ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:24:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 76348 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: September 22, 2020, 06:23:12 AM »

Sabato’s Crystal Ball, the election handicapper at the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics, has shifted Maine’s hotly contested Senate race toward Democrat Sara Gideon.

The rating change from "toss-up" to "lean Democratic" is the latest sign of trouble for Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who is among the most vulnerable GOP senators facing reelection this year.

Is Maine a Lean D seat?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #751 on: September 22, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »

Sabato’s Crystal Ball, the election handicapper at the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics, has shifted Maine’s hotly contested Senate race toward Democrat Sara Gideon.

The rating change from "toss-up" to "lean Democratic" is the latest sign of trouble for Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who is among the most vulnerable GOP senators facing reelection this year.

Is Maine a Lean D seat?

It’s Lean at worst at this point
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #752 on: September 28, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »

The debate's feed was cut the last time he did this. He has also apparently protested Gideon's height, so tune in for a wild ride!

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2020, 07:15:43 PM »

Max Linn Dark Horse 2024 GOP Presidential Campaign?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #754 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »

Coward Collins strikes again:

It's like she's actively trying to lose. Trump is down by double digits in her state. She has no incentive to go easy on him, especially over something like that debate, where his performance was almost universally panned as disgraceful and even some of his own supporters admitted it did not go well.

I get that she doesn't want to alienate the diehards too much, but she has even more to lose if she can't convince enough Biden voters to split their tickets.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #755 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »

If Collins wants even a shot at winning at this point then she needs to directly condemn Trump. At the presidential level Maine (at large) is practically a Safe D state at this point and she has no hope if she can't bring herself to realize that and behave accordingly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #756 on: September 30, 2020, 07:57:19 PM »

Collins has become the caricature of a moderate hero and the saddest/funniest thing is that she doesn't understand it.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #757 on: September 30, 2020, 07:59:31 PM »

Collins has become the caricature of a moderate hero and the saddest/funniest thing is that she doesn't understand it.

Maybe she's saving the true moderate hero moment for right before the election to try to get a last minute bump. I have a feeling she knows what she's doing.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #758 on: September 30, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »

If Collins wants even a shot at winning at this point then she needs to directly condemn Trump. At the presidential level Maine (at large) is practically a Safe D state at this point and she has no hope if she can't bring herself to realize that and behave accordingly.

And lose Trump's base in the process?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #759 on: September 30, 2020, 08:42:12 PM »

Well, I guess at this point there's not really any saving her, but had she been truly moderate from the beginning of Trump's administration, then yes, it would be worth that risk in order to maintain the coalition that has made her so successful. Better yet, she would have voted in ways that clearly delineated herself from her party so that she wouldn't have to make last-minute criticisms of the President in order to remind people that she's supposedly a moderate. Also, frankly, who else would the Trump supporters vote for? I guess part of it is just inherent to the struggle of being a senator from a state solidly aligned with the opposing party, but Collins clearly doesn't understand why she's been reelected so many times.

Jon Tester, Joe Manchin, and now candidates Bullock and Bollier know how to behave in ways that maintain enough crossover appeal to be competitive without alienating voters of their own party. Collins clearly doesn't know how to do that. For someone who has been around as long as she has (in fact, I think she's been a senator for about 90% of my life), it's shocking to suddenly learn just how unsavvy she is as a politician.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #760 on: September 30, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »

Well, I guess at this point there's not really any saving her, but had she been truly moderate from the beginning of Trump's administration, then yes, it would be worth that risk in order to maintain the coalition that has made her so successful. Better yet, she would have voted in ways that clearly delineated herself from her party so that she wouldn't have to make last-minute criticisms of the President in order to remind people that she's supposedly a moderate. Also, frankly, who else would the Trump supporters vote for? I guess part of it is just inherent to the struggle of being a senator from a state solidly aligned with the opposing party, but Collins clearly doesn't understand why she's been reelected so many times.

Jon Tester, Joe Manchin, and now candidates Bullock and Bollier know how to behave in ways that maintain enough crossover appeal to be competitive without alienating voters of their own party. Collins clearly doesn't know how to do that. For someone who has been around as long as she has (in fact, I think she's been a senator for about 90% of my life), it's shocking to suddenly learn just how unsavvy she is as a politician.

It is easier to maintain crossover support without alienating the base when one's own party is in the opposition. Compromise/"moderation" etc. seems more rational from that perspective to a lot of voters and the agenda one runs on/against is defined more by the other party than figureheads within the same team.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #761 on: September 30, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »

She's done
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #762 on: September 30, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »

Jon Tester, Joe Manchin, and now candidates Bullock and Bollier know how to behave in ways that maintain enough crossover appeal to be competitive without alienating voters of their own party. Collins clearly doesn't know how to do that.

Tester and Manchin would have lost if they had been up in a Republican wave year/Clinton midterm or even if Republicans hadn’t proven themselves as laughably incompetent in (not) contesting those races as they did in real life (e.g. by aggressively pushing for Jenkins/Fox, going scorched earth on the incumbents and the Libertarians in MT, not prioritizing NV/AZ/TN/etc. over MT/WV, not allowing Tester/Manchin to define their opponents early, etc.). Bollier would be DOA under a Clinton presidency, and Bullock would be facing an uphill battle after twelve years of Democratic party control in Washington.

The real explanation for the success of Tester/Manchin/Bollier/Bullock and the apparent underperformance of Collins (and Ernst... and Marshall... and Sullivan....) isn’t so much some major disparity in "candidate quality" as it is good/bad luck + the difference between a favorable and an unfavorable national environment.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #763 on: September 30, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »

Maybe she's saving the true moderate hero moment for right before the election to try to get a last minute bump. I have a feeling she knows what she's doing.

That sounds like a terrible idea. The process by which the Republican base forgives a politican for going against the party is not instantaneous. Has she done something two months before the election she could have duped some guibble Democrats into voting for her, while giving the Republican base enough time to cool off and fall in line. Doing it at the last minute would leave the base foaming at the mouth while appearing more calculated to to swing voters. All the early voting and the disproportionate number of Republicans planning to vote on november 3rd only makes it more likely that any last minute moderate hero stunt would backfire.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #764 on: October 01, 2020, 01:57:13 AM »

Bye Susan.  Get your golden parachute ready.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #765 on: October 01, 2020, 05:26:11 AM »

Yeah as soon as I saw her "both sides" comment I was flabbergasted. She's terrible at this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #766 on: October 01, 2020, 07:36:16 AM »

Since Biden is getting 55 Percent of vote, Collins can lose by 10 pts
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #767 on: October 01, 2020, 07:38:56 AM »

Hmm is she going to stop the Barrett confirmation?  I think at this point, it’s the only thing that could save her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: October 01, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »

Collins can only blame herself, she was the swing state voter in the Kavanaugh nomination and she voted the wrong way, now she isn't and wants Barrett nomination held up. But, she hasn't said how she will vote, herself and Murkowski said it should wait til after election
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #769 on: October 01, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »

Hmm is she going to stop the Barrett confirmation?  I think at this point, it’s the only thing that could save her.

No, but maybe she'll be vocally opposed enough to regain a bit of ground
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #770 on: October 01, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »

Collins and Murkowski said the confirmation should wait til after the election but they haven't said they won't confirm her, Barrett is a center right politician and I do feel that she will allow votes to be counted like provisional ballots that Bush W signed into law.  But, she will vote against Roe and ACA. But we have Medicaid and Medicare and birth control and adoptions.

Barrett has adopted 4 kids. Even if D's Crt pack, it would still be 6/5 Conservative
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #771 on: October 01, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »

No, but maybe she'll be vocally opposed enough to regain a bit of ground

Has early voting started yet in Maine? It might be too little too late.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #772 on: October 01, 2020, 11:33:37 AM »

Susan does not seem to be aware that Biden is in position to win Maine by 15 points
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #773 on: October 01, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »

Susan does not seem to be aware that Biden is in position to win Maine by 15 points

She is partying like it's 2008.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #774 on: October 01, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »

She is partying like it's 2008.

Tbf even in 2008 Obama still won ME by double digits, although back then she was an actual moderate and much more liked.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies