WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has been arrested.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has been arrested.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has been arrested.  (Read 4644 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »

Jesus...what?

Serisously? Please tell me this is irony...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »

See, this is why running from Sweden (a country from which extradition to the United States is rather tricky) to Great Britain (a country from which extradition to the United States is usually a rubber-stamp job) is probably not a great move if one wishes to avoid being extradited to the United States.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »

How pro-life of you.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »

That's a little bit harsh, but I can't say I have enough sympathy for Assange to really care about anyone saying this.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »

What was telling was that Wikleaks started doxing the Ecuadorian president's children when they heard  the (correct) rumors that he was going to revoke Assange's asylum. They were abusing their own "open-source platform exposing corruption" to embarrass a head of state to force him to keep hosting the abusive and entitled asshole Assange just to silence his anonymous blackmailers. That some honest journalism right there, straight out of the mafia.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »

Good. It shouldn't be acceptable for someone to flee to escape rape charges. Even though those charges have since been dropped because of the statute of limitations, it was not okay for him to flee. While I'm sure most people are interested in this because of Wikileaks, I'm just glad he'll finally be facing justice for something, even though it's not the rape charges.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 01:40:57 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »

Good. It shouldn't be acceptable for someone to flee to escape rape charges. Even though those charges have since been dropped because of the statute of limitations, it was not okay for him to flee. While I'm sure most people are interested in this because of Wikileaks, I'm just glad he'll finally be facing justice for something, even though it's not the rape charges.
Actually the statute of limitations has not expired. Sweden could bring up the charges again.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »

This is exactly why he should have never been given shelter. He's a horrible person beyond just the hacking.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 03:00:32 PM »

This is exactly why he should have never been given shelter. He's a horrible person beyond just the hacking.
Sweden has moral responsibility to its citizens to push to toll(basically asking the court to reset the clock because either the damaged party was unable to seek justice until now or sometime in the recent past or that the SoL never started because the activity that caused the damages is still occurring) the SoL and resume prosecution!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »

First, I want to make it clear that my strong distaste for Assange shouldn't be construed as approval for our current Administration! In the interest of fairness, let's compare and contrast Julian Assange with other whistleblowers and see how he differs from them.

First, let's talk about Chelsea Manning. Manning may have disclosed the information illegally, but she did so with the intent of bringing light to truly heinous actions committed by the military in Iraq. The original leak she presented to Assange was redacted and free of information that might endanger informants or civil servants. Now, she also leaked diplomatic cables to Assange. While these were unredacted, they were supposed to be redacted prior to release. However, Assange went ahead and leaked them in full back in September of 2011.

Edward Snowden is a similar case. Leaking information about the NSA was very important and while I can't say I approve of his decision to seek asylum in Russia, I can see why he would do that given the circumstances.

Assange, however, is a noted egomaniac who attacked other leaks, such as the Panama Papers, which he said were funded by George Soros and USAID. He also attempted to silence any criticism of himself. Then there's the alleged sexual assault and warrant for his arrest in Sweden, which was dropped in 2017.

Whatever good Assange did for the cause of free speech and freedom of the press is now a distant memory. He's a loathsome person who has done far more damage than good for the cause of transparency and accountability.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »

On a completely off topic note, why does he look like Glenn Beck circa fifteen years from now?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »

But what about his cat?
Does it still have sanctuary?
The world needs to know!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »

On a completely off topic note, why does he look like Glenn Beck circa fifteen years from now?

He’s a wizard!!!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »

Hard to argue with this:

This is a pretty good argument against that.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »

Also, I have learned today that the name of the president of Ecuador is Lenin. There are a lot of jokes in Russian twitter about Lenin (Vladimir Ilyich) screwing with Assange, ahaha.
James Monroe

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2019, 05:25:02 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »

She’s such a c u next Tuesday.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »

This arrest is good, but it's nowhere near as cinematic as it should be. Real justice would have been him being shoved into the back of a black car, seeing Hillary Clinton in the passenger seat glaring at him and then it driving away with him screaming at the top of his lungs. LOL.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2019, 06:00:17 PM »

He's pure ego. It was always about him. Once he took a Trump's side he lost any credibility as an honest actor.

FIFY.

If Assange had leaked Trump's Tax Returns, you'd be singing Hosannas and hailing him as the Whistleblower of Whistleblowers.

I've been around here for years.  I've seen people's posts and responses.  This may not be true of everyone here, but there are many folks like yourself for whom this is their actual opinion, if the truth be known.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »

This arrest is good, but it's nowhere near as cinematic as it should be. Real justice would have been him being shoved into the back of a black car, seeing Hillary Clinton in the passenger seat glaring at him and then it driving away with him screaming at the top of his lungs. LOL.

Are you implying that Hillary is a "sadistic sociopath" WikiLeaks claimed she was? I think she dreamed of that you described, too!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/07/30/11000-wikileaks-twitter-messages-released-to-the-public/
More obviously, the messages show a strong Republican favoritism. Previous reports had already revealed portions of the Wikileaks' Twitter chats. They included messages allegedly sent by Assange himself, one saying, "it would be much better for the GOP to win." He later described Hillary Clinton as "a bright, well-connected, sadistic sociopath."

Also, this >>>
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »

I still stand by it, the guy should be given capital punishment, same with that Manning character.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »

Are you implying that Hillary is a "sadistic sociopath" WikiLeaks claimed she was? I think she dreamed of that you described, too!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/07/30/11000-wikileaks-twitter-messages-released-to-the-public/
More obviously, the messages show a strong Republican favoritism. Previous reports had already revealed portions of the Wikileaks' Twitter chats. They included messages allegedly sent by Assange himself, one saying, "it would be much better for the GOP to win." He later described Hillary Clinton as "a bright, well-connected, sadistic sociopath."

Also, this >>>

I was just making a joke, but I'm sure Clinton isn't upset to see him get arrested. And anyone who smears poop all over the walls of a room is in no position to call anyone else a sociopath.
James Monroe

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »

She’s such a c u next Tuesday.

Thanks for reminding me you're misogyny towards strong women.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2019, 06:56:57 PM »

I still stand by it, the guy should be given capital punishment, same with that Manning character.

Why don't you like that Assange and Manning exposed that US killed civilians (among them children and journalists) and then covered it up?

Neocon GOP/Fox News hated the guy then. Now, when Trump "converted" Fox News to doves it's the Democrats who hate the guy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies