Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:49:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 128
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 169239 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: February 23, 2023, 02:48:01 PM »

The turnout operation that Ben Wikler & co have built in Dane County is probably the single-greatest threat to Republican statewide chances in this state for the foreseeable future, even moreso than trends in WOW (though the latter obviously does more to help with geographic balance).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1851 on: February 23, 2023, 02:49:23 PM »

The turnout operation that Ben Wikler & co have built in Dane County is probably the single-greatest threat to Republican statewide chances in this state for the foreseeable future, even moreso than trends in WOW (though the latter obviously does more to help with geographic balance).

Really frustrating too in the sense that if everyone knew the Barnes race would only be 1pt, I'm sure he would've been able to maximize resources and come up with some additional ideas to get that last 25-30k votes.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1852 on: February 23, 2023, 03:03:38 PM »

Really frustrating too in the sense that if everyone knew the Barnes race would only be 1pt, I'm sure he would've been able to maximize resources and come up with some additional ideas to get that last 25-30k votes.

That race eats at me more than anything from the '22 elections. Ron Johnson is a traitor, a liar, a bigot, an election denier and a Putin simp. Getting rid of him would have been a big victory for the country and democracy in general.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1853 on: February 23, 2023, 05:12:27 PM »

Duke of York

« Reply #1854 on: February 23, 2023, 05:15:54 PM »

Thats excellent but they should have a turnout operation in every county. No county should be ignored.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1855 on: February 23, 2023, 05:29:50 PM »

Lean D at a minimum.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1856 on: February 23, 2023, 05:51:33 PM »

I haven’t done the maths but I really wonder whether the post September tightening saw a lot of resources go elsewhere- NV obviously needed it, but I wonder how much NH and some other house raises got.

It really was awful that Barnes got outspent in that time and iirc he didn’t have a huge lead in campaign cash to overturn the huge Super PAC spending against him.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1857 on: February 23, 2023, 07:33:03 PM »

Thanks for doing this. I was watching that jerk Let's Talk Elections YouTuber try to cover this race and describe the swing, and I almost screamed at the screen "Just show me the map with the sides added up!"
Why do you watch him in the first place?
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1858 on: February 24, 2023, 10:22:57 AM »

Thats excellent but they should have a turnout operation in every county. No county should be ignored.

Good idea in theory and morally, but with the way trends are going in most Wisconsin counties there's a good argument to be made that this hurts WisDems in the longrun more than it helps.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1859 on: February 24, 2023, 11:19:19 AM »

I haven’t done the maths but I really wonder whether the post September tightening saw a lot of resources go elsewhere- NV obviously needed it, but I wonder how much NH and some other house raises got.

It really was awful that Barnes got outspent in that time and iirc he didn’t have a huge lead in campaign cash to overturn the huge Super PAC spending against him.
It really stings but despite how close it was, I don't think Barnes actually could have won. Johnson was more toxic than we thought
Duke of York

« Reply #1860 on: February 24, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »

Good idea in theory and morally, but with the way trends are going in most Wisconsin counties there's a good argument to be made that this hurts WisDems in the longrun more than it helps.

I disagree. I heard turnout in Eau Claire was three times as high as in November, That could have made a difference in the Senate election if it was combined with similar turnout rates in other college towns.

Georgia Dems have a turnout operation in every county. There is no reason Wisconsin can't.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1861 on: February 25, 2023, 09:49:21 AM »

It really stings but despite how close it was, I don't think Barnes actually could have won. Johnson was more toxic than we thought

Hard to say, but what is pretty clear is that Kind would’ve won had he run (assuming he could win the nomination).  I think Barnes might’ve won had he received significantly more outside support (maybe if the DSCC made it’s beefed up late-ish play here rather than in North Carolina and began doing so back in early September), but it’s impossible to know.  

I do think this election shows that #StrongIncumbent Ron Johnson was largely a myth/meme given that he almost lost to Barnes despite Barnes being a pretty weak candidate who received inconsistent support from the national party.  
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1862 on: February 25, 2023, 09:56:20 AM »

Hard to say, but what is pretty clear is that Kind would’ve won had he run (assuming he could win the nomination).  I think Barnes might’ve won had he received significantly more outside support (maybe if the DSCC made it’s beefed up late-ish play here rather than in North Carolina and began doing so back in early September), but it’s impossible to know.  

I do think this election shows that #StrongIncumbent Ron Johnson was largely a myth/meme given that he almost lost to Barnes despite Barnes being a pretty weak candidate who received inconsistent support from the national party.  

I think Barnes wins if he would have been able to counter Johnson's post-primary spending barrage that permanently defined Barnes as weak on crime which critically wounded him. Just countering that with equal spending I think would have gotten him the necessary votes. He only needed to flip ~15k. Funny enough, Johnson's strategy here is what Baldwin has done to both of her opponents in both 2012 and 2018. You hit them hard immediately after the primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1863 on: February 25, 2023, 10:20:50 AM »

I think Barnes wins if he would have been able to counter Johnson's post-primary spending barrage that permanently defined Barnes as weak on crime which critically wounded him. Just countering that with equal spending I think would have gotten him the necessary votes. He only needed to flip ~15k. Funny enough, Johnson's strategy here is what Baldwin has done to both of her opponents in both 2012 and 2018. You hit them hard immediately after the primary.

Re: Baldwin: Ehhhh…I dunno.  I don’t recall 2012 that clearly, but 2018 wasn’t anything so impressive.  Baldwin’s opponent was a whacko sacrificial lamb and the seat was always considered Safe D iirc (plus, it was 2018).  I actually think Baldwin is somewhat overrated Re: candidate strength and is basically just Generic D.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1864 on: February 25, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »

Re: Baldwin: Ehhhh…I dunno.  I don’t recall 2012 that clearly, but 2018 wasn’t anything so impressive.  Baldwin’s opponent was a whacko sacrificial lamb and the seat was always considered Safe D iirc (plus, it was 2018).  I actually think Baldwin is somewhat overrated Re: candidate strength and is basically just Generic D.

I think both Wisconsin senators are overrated and more lucky than anything in the years they’ve ran.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1865 on: February 25, 2023, 11:38:11 AM »

Re: Baldwin: Ehhhh…I dunno.  I don’t recall 2012 that clearly, but 2018 wasn’t anything so impressive.  Baldwin’s opponent was a whacko sacrificial lamb and the seat was always considered Safe D iirc (plus, it was 2018).  I actually think Baldwin is somewhat overrated Re: candidate strength and is basically just Generic D.

I think both Wisconsin senators are overrated and more lucky than anything in the years they’ve ran.

RoJo for sure got lucky in all of his 3 elections, though Baldwin winning with 55% in 2018 was impressive, even for a blue wave year. Remember that Evers just very barely won on the same ballot. Baldwin for sure is favored next year and will most likely outperform Biden.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1866 on: February 25, 2023, 08:45:30 PM »

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1867 on: February 27, 2023, 10:19:05 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2023, 10:22:46 AM by Pollster »

I disagree. I heard turnout in Eau Claire was three times as high as in November, That could have made a difference in the Senate election if it was combined with similar turnout rates in other college towns.

Georgia Dems have a turnout operation in every county. There is no reason Wisconsin can't.

Georgia Dems can afford to do this because the trends in their favor in the state drastically outweigh the trends against them. Creating a strong turnout infrastructure only serves to benefit them in the longrun, without question.

Wisconsin's countervailing trends are the exact opposite and is the reason WisDems need a different kind of turnout operation. If a person votes once, they are more likely to vote a second time. If they vote a second time, they are even more likely to vote a third time. If they vote a third time, they are even MORE likely to vote a fourth time, and so on. And they become even easier to turn out in an irregular/off-year election as this pattern develops. This is functionally what "building a turnout operation/infrastructure" means, and it's not something you want to create in an area where the voters you are forming those habitual, long-term voting habits with are quickly turning against you, especially in a state as evenly divided as this one. In practice, for example, you could argue that the behemoth suburban turnout machines that the GOP built during the Clinton/Bush years are major contributors to their struggles today.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1868 on: February 27, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2023, 12:29:49 PM by Gass3268 »

Republicans are trying to turn this race into "protecting Walker's reforms" rather then the issues I think we all know will define the race (abortion and democracy).

That said I do expect Act 10, Right to Work, Voter ID, and all the other controversial issues from the Walker years will be challenged again. Plus the issues related to Evers' ability to appoint folks.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1869 on: February 27, 2023, 12:36:02 PM »

Kelly has been dark for a week.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1870 on: February 27, 2023, 09:43:19 PM »

Kelly has been dark for a week.

The conservative side is finally going up after almost a week dark, but its from a SuperPac so the dollars won't be worth the same as the Liberal side.

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1871 on: February 27, 2023, 09:50:45 PM »

Side note but how do you pronounce Protasiewicz
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1872 on: February 27, 2023, 11:11:05 PM »

Listen to the second half of the following video for the candidate's preferred pronunciation (Hint: It's different from how her Polish ancestors would have pronounced it):

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wWN4iiBm6gw
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1873 on: February 27, 2023, 11:13:55 PM »

I think I'll be saying Purotashiewish. That's what instinct tells me that would be said.
walleye26

« Reply #1874 on: February 28, 2023, 08:10:19 PM »

Her ad makes fun of this, she says “you don’t need to know how to say Pro-tuh-say-witz to know judge Janet will fight for your rights.”
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 128  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies