Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 01:12:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 129
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 171001 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 14, 2020, 04:29:20 PM »

Looks like Marsy's Law passed by a landslide.

Yes, very sad but expected when it sounds so nice and helpful but nobody really knew what it actually does.

Yep. I voted against it.
I voted against as well, but my goodness I was not expecting it. I’m surprised nobody ran any anti-Marsy’s Law ads.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1051 on: April 14, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »

Yes, very sad but expected when it sounds so nice and helpful but nobody really knew what it actually does.

Yep. I voted against it.
I voted against as well, but my goodness I was not expecting it. I’m surprised nobody ran any anti-Marsy’s Law ads.
What does the law say?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1052 on: April 14, 2020, 05:30:43 PM »

Yep. I voted against it.
What does the law say?

Traditionally, a prosecutor is required to provide a defendant with evidence that could show innocence (exculpatory evidence). If the prosecution does not provide it, it may require a new trial.[40] Under Marsy's Law, however, a victim would be able to refuse to provide that evidence to the defendant, the court, and the jury.[41]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsy%27s_Law
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1053 on: April 14, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »

Yep. I voted against it.
What does the law say?

Traditionally, a prosecutor is required to provide a defendant with evidence that could show innocence (exculpatory evidence). If the prosecution does not provide it, it may require a new trial.[40] Under Marsy's Law, however, a victim would be able to refuse to provide that evidence to the defendant, the court, and the jury.[41]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsy%27s_Law

How is this not unconstitutional?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1054 on: April 14, 2020, 06:26:10 PM »

Yoda
United States

« Reply #1055 on: April 14, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »

Ben Wikler is an OG. The twitter thread he put up last night after Karofsky won was an epic, inspiring read. Really inspires a lot of confidence in Wisconsin Democrats' game plan for November.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1056 on: April 15, 2020, 01:00:14 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 02:57:34 AM by Gass3268 »

Supreme Court Map for Dane County:

Karofsky got 89% of the vote in Madison! There were some wards where she was getting over 97% of the vote.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1057 on: April 15, 2020, 04:58:53 AM »

Karofsky got 89% of the vote in Madison! There were some wards where she was getting over 97% of the vote.

That is getting to Obama 08 levels in Chicago where McCain literally had zero votes in a few precincts.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1058 on: April 15, 2020, 06:25:34 AM »

That is getting to Obama 08 levels in Chicago where McCain literally had zero votes in a few precincts.

I mean...that's kinda normal in urban hyper-AA precincts. Madison is a white city though.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1059 on: April 15, 2020, 09:48:05 AM »

Is there anything stopping the local governments of Madison and Milwaukee from mailing ballots to every registered voter the way those other cities did? If no, seems like a no-brainer.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1060 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »

Is there anything stopping the local governments of Madison and Milwaukee from mailing ballots to every registered voter the way those other cities did? If no, seems like a no-brainer.

$$$
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1061 on: April 15, 2020, 01:34:11 PM »

$$$

Yep, Bayside has about 4400 people, Whitefish Bay (Called Whiteman's Bay) has around 13500, compare that to the amount of people in Milwaukee and Madison. Plus, those two burbs have money too.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1062 on: April 15, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »

I think absentee ballot request forms were mailed, not actual ballots. Might be wrong, though. If it was request forms, that would be extra processing costs vs just sending them a ballot.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1063 on: April 15, 2020, 01:45:43 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 02:32:44 PM by lfromnj »

What was the margin in river hills?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1064 on: April 15, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1065 on: April 15, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »

I think absentee ballot request forms were mailed, not actual ballots. Might be wrong, though. If it was request forms, that would be extra processing costs vs just sending them a ballot.

Sounds like you are correct, looks like Milwaukee is going to follow suit for November:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1066 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »

^^ That is one way for states to mitigate turnout/safety issues without relying on changes to the law from Congress or the state legislature. It might even encourage Republicans to make the process easier because if all the major cities do it, they won't want to be left out. On the other hand, they could just as easily seek to prevent cities from doing this.

In some states, it might not be a viable option if the absentee request rules are too onerous. For instance, I'm not sure if Texas has any plans to make fear of getting COVID-19 a valid excuse in requesting an absentee ballot. For TX, these are the only excuses listed:

https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/reqabbm.shtml

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

be 65 years or older;
    be disabled;
    be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
    be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

The bare minimum compromise in Congress should be to at least force states to allow people to request absentee ballots if they fear getting sick. Most states already allow this, so it's really just for the holdouts .
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1067 on: April 15, 2020, 02:46:31 PM »

Thanks! I didn't catch that!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1068 on: April 15, 2020, 02:51:42 PM »

^^ That is one way for states to mitigate turnout/safety issues without relying on changes to the law from Congress or the state legislature. It might even encourage Republicans to make the process easier because if all the major cities do it, they won't want to be left out. On the other hand, they could just as easily seek to prevent cities from doing this.

In some states, it might not be a viable option if the absentee request rules are too onerous. For instance, I'm not sure if Texas has any plans to make fear of getting COVID-19 a valid excuse in requesting an absentee ballot. For TX, these are the only excuses listed:

be 65 years or older;
    be disabled;
    be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or

The bare minimum compromise in Congress should be to at least force states to allow people to request absentee ballots if they fear getting sick. Most states already allow this, so it's really just for the holdouts .

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2020/04/texas-officials-try-to-clarify-who-can-vote-by-mail-but-they-might-not-be-able-to-just-say-everyone/

In their advisory, state officials said, "the Election Code defines ‘disability’ to include ‘a sickness or physical condition that prevents the voter from appearing at the polling place on election day without a likelihood of needing personal assistance or of injuring the voter’s health.’ (Sec. 82.002).”

Officials said any voter who meets that definition must be able to apply for ballot by mail.

AG Paxton disagrees and might arrest/charge anyone that says otherwise.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1069 on: April 15, 2020, 02:53:50 PM »

Sounds like you are correct, looks like Milwaukee is going to follow suit for November:

Where are Bloomberg and Steyer to fund these efforts?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1070 on: April 15, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »

be 65 years or older;
    be disabled;

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2020/04/texas-officials-try-to-clarify-who-can-vote-by-mail-but-they-might-not-be-able-to-just-say-everyone/

In their advisory, state officials said, "the Election Code defines ‘disability’ to include ‘a sickness or physical condition that prevents the voter from appearing at the polling place on election day without a likelihood of needing personal assistance or of injuring the voter’s health.’ (Sec. 82.002).”

Officials said any voter who meets that definition must be able to apply for ballot by mail.

I smell a lawsuit coming.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1071 on: April 15, 2020, 02:58:43 PM »

Always interesting to see conservatives threatening jail time for people who make an honest mistake in light of confusing rules when it comes to voting. Seems to be a real proud southern conservative tradition.

If someone is not allowed to vote, the burden should be on the state to tell them so. There is no reason they can't manage that given the technology we now have. This is even more true when Republicans are constantly adding more and more restrictions for partisan gain.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1072 on: April 15, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 05:55:43 PM by Skill and Chance »

be 65 years or older;
    be disabled;

I smell a lawsuit coming.

Deleted the post that quoted that article.  Please follow all rules outlined in any official guidance and subsequent court decisions in your state. 

EDIT: Please delete the post that quotes my deleted post quoting that article.  It is no longer up to date.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1073 on: April 15, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »

Fast changing story:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1074 on: April 15, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »

I'll hold my thoughts on that because it seems whether it's in state or federal court, there is a good chance it will get reversed on appeal.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 129  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies