NY-Gov: State GOP to back Weld.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:54:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Gov: State GOP to back Weld.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Gov: State GOP to back Weld.  (Read 2558 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:27:15 PM »

From the NY Daily News:

ALBANY - State GOP leaders said yesterday they will embrace William Weld as their pick for governor, in a move aimed at derailing billionaire Tom Golisano's chances of capturing the party's nod.

The Republican State Committee's vice chairmen are expected to line up behind Weld next Monday, said the committee's executive director, Ryan Moses.

Golisano recently became a Republican after waging three unsuccessful bids for the governor's mansion on the Independence line.

Weld, a former governor of Massachusetts, is supported by state GOP boss Steve Minarik and has close ties as well to former Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:35:13 PM »

Weren't they the ones trying to get Golisano into the race? What a mess.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:49:33 PM »

Good!  I'm rooting for Weld.  I'd support him over Spitzer, believe it or not.

Unfortunately, he's going to get his ass handed to him barring a major scandal, or some other earthshaking event.

Weld's chances of beating Spitzer: <1%
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »

Will the New York Conservative party back him?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:02:42 PM »

Will the New York Conservative party back him?

I'd be very surprised if they did. Remember, he was too "liberal" for the Republicans in the Senate to confirm him as an ambassador.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 06:39:17 PM »

I love the NY GOP Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 07:05:23 PM »

Because they've decided to nominate a successful governor instead of a joke? I'm glad you're on my side man.

Excellent news. Maybe the NYGOP isn't completely retarded.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 07:09:07 PM »

Unfortunately, he's going to get his ass handed to him barring a major scandal, or some other earthshaking event.

Yes but he'll still do better than the other jokes we could've nominated.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 09:07:35 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2005, 09:12:20 PM by Vice-President Defarge »

Because they've decided to nominate a successful governor instead of a joke? I'm glad you're on my side man.

Golisano at least starts out with a bit of a base.  What was Weld at in the latst poll?  16%?  NY has no problems with carpetbaggers, as long as they're Democrats Smiley

You're going to lose anyways.  Why not go with at least a New Yorker, lest your party leaders end up being portrayed as hypocrites.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 09:46:05 PM »

The New York GOP needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  The whole state is just going down the toilet under the Democrats who call themselves Democrats, and the Democrats who call themselves Republicans.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 09:55:05 PM »

Golisano at least starts out with a bit of a base.  What was Weld at in the latst poll?  16%?  NY has no problems with carpetbaggers, as long as they're Democrats Smiley

You're going to lose anyways.  Why not go with at least a New Yorker, lest your party leaders end up being portrayed as hypocrites.

Weld is born and raised a New Yorker and moved back here in 2000. He isn't a carpetbagger.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 11:05:35 PM »

The New York GOP needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  The whole state is just going down the toilet under the Democrats who call themselves Democrats, and the Democrats who call themselves Republicans.

How can you say that? The governor is A REPUBLICAN!!! Stop blaming us, Dems aren't in power in Albany.

I like Weld, but I still think Spitzer will win. What about that joke Mary Donahue, what the hell has she been doing for 12 years, sitting in a basement? If she had ever been seen in public she could be a candidate.

I supported Golisano in 2002 so this would be a tough choice for me if I lived in NY State.

Spitzer was great on the Colbert Report last week, not awkward at all like many politician interviews.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 05:11:22 PM »

How can you say that? The governor is A REPUBLICAN!!! Stop blaming us, Dems aren't in power in Albany.

Pataki is pretty much ineffective and the Democrats will soon control what they already don't.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 05:19:57 PM »

This is a bit of an unrelated question, but since her name is being thrown about, I will ask it: which Democrat is most likely to run against Mary Donohue for Lt. Governor, and what are Mary Donohue's chances in remaining Lt. Governor against that Democratic challenger?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 12:41:06 PM »

This is a bit of an unrelated question, but since her name is being thrown about, I will ask it: which Democrat is most likely to run against Mary Donohue for Lt. Governor, and what are Mary Donohue's chances in remaining Lt. Governor against that Democratic challenger?

Can no one answer this question?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 02:22:43 PM »

Nope because no one really cares about Lt.Gov.

Since Pataki's not running she won't be running. If she does run it will be for the top spot but I can't see that happening.
RBH

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 03:30:21 PM »

Will Golisano run for the Independence Party nomination too?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »

Will Golisano run for the Independence Party nomination too?

It'd be funny if there were 3 different Republicans with ballot status.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 02:01:06 AM »

Like I implied in my post above, no one knows anything about Mary Donohue, I have literally never heard anything about her except seen her name listed. I certainly hear about my state's LT-Gov. (Kevin Sullivan) and MA's (Kerry Healy) so its not that the post is completely unimportant. There has been no news about a Dem running for the spot yet that I know of.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 10:11:52 AM »

Like I implied in my post above, no one knows anything about Mary Donohue, I have literally never heard anything about her except seen her name listed. I certainly hear about my state's LT-Gov. (Kevin Sullivan) and MA's (Kerry Healy) so its not that the post is completely unimportant. There has been no news about a Dem running for the spot yet that I know of.

kerry healy will be a terrible candidate for governor in mass.  ugh.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 09:41:18 AM »

I suppose as Republicans go, Weld isn't too bad but I'm rooting for Spitzer

Dave
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2005, 05:25:46 AM »

I've seen that Healy doesn't accept a salary, just like Brigham.....I mean Mitt Romney, is she very wealthy too?

As long as Romney is gone and their candidate is not a reactionary like him, I'd have no problem with the Republicans keeping the MA gov's seat. Jane Swift and William Weld would be much better than the current Governor.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 11:20:31 AM »

I've seen that Healy doesn't accept a salary, just like Brigham.....I mean Mitt Romney, is she very wealthy too?

As long as Romney is gone and their candidate is not a reactionary like him, I'd have no problem with the Republicans keeping the MA gov's seat. Jane Swift and William Weld would be much better than the current Governor.

yes kerry healey is very wealthy...or more accurately, her husband is rich.

healey is a moderate but a terrible candidate.  she isnt ready for 'prime time'.  she has a habit of sticking her foot in her mouth and poorly articulating her positions.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 12:24:14 PM »

I remember seeing a poll ahwile back where 4% of New Yorkers were able to name their Lt. Gov.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies