Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:58:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 187424 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2021, 11:46:01 PM »

What are some notable Tories and NDPers running if someone could make a list?

He doesn't have a hope of winning in West Vancouver, but Avi Lewis is something of a mini-celebrity.  He's the grandson of former Federal NDP leader David Lewis and the son of former Ontario Provincial NDP leader Stephen Lewis.  He's also married to Naomi Klein and they did at least one documentary film together (The Take, good film.)

Avi Lewis was also a personality on MuchMusic back when they still showed music videos (he wasn't a V.J though.)

That said, he's running in a riding the NDP has never come close to winning federally before, and I'm not actually sure he's all that well known outside of Ontario.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2021, 05:05:40 AM »

The NDP got stomped in Quebec in 2019, but even after that wipeout there was still a small number of ridings that weren't necessarily total lost causes. Are they trying to get the ex-MPs to run again or otherwise looking like they'll make any sort of effort in them, or has the whole province outside of Boulerice's seat been written off for the foreseeable future?

There was a newspaper article a few days ago about not many Quebec NDP MPs who lost in last election running again this time. There is François Choquette in Drummond and Brigitte Sansoucy in Saint-Hyacinthe. Guy Caron is trying for Rimouski Mayor in November.

It mentioned also the party does better where Québec Solidaire did best. Demographics of urban, young, does better among women, students. A goal to win 6 seats, targets Outremont, Laurier Ste-Marie, Beauport-Limoilou, Hochelaga, Sherbrooke.

Eve Péclet is a former MP in east end Montreal who will run in Outremont where she lives. I think there is one another former MP running

Since then Ruth Ellen Brosseau will make an announcement so it looks like she will run in Berthier-Maskinongé again.

While I don't know much about QC politics, I'd imagine going for Quebec Solidaire voters is a much better approach for today's NDP than trying to rebuild that Layton Orange Wave. NDPers tend to have a lot of nostalgia for the Orange Wave, and understandably so given the historic nature of that election. But they need to snap out of it. Even under Mulcair they just barely held on to Saint-Hyacinthe Bagot, Trois-Rivieres, Jonquiere and so on

Quebec Solidaire, if not Quebec Solidaire voters, is the loony left.  Quebec Solidaire is a number of degrees to the left of the NDP.  I don't know if that has any impact on the NDP securing the votes of Quebec Solidaire voters, but I can absolutely see why the NDP does not want to get close to Quebec Solidaire.

And, that is even without taking into account that Quebec Solidaire is a separatist party.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2021, 03:23:37 AM »

The NDP has the most based housing policy!

Justin Trudeau made big promises – but he’s neglected the housing crisis in Canada – and families are struggling to stay in the communities where they live and work.

Jagmeet and the NDP have a plan to tackle the housing crisis – including building 500,000 new units of affordable housing starting right away, and dealing with the speculation and money laundering that fuel skyrocketing housing prices.

Have they said where they'll build this new housing when zoning is a municipal issue and it's dominated by nimby interests?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2021, 06:02:41 AM »

The NDP has the most based housing policy!

Justin Trudeau made big promises – but he’s neglected the housing crisis in Canada – and families are struggling to stay in the communities where they live and work.

Jagmeet and the NDP have a plan to tackle the housing crisis – including building 500,000 new units of affordable housing starting right away, and dealing with the speculation and money laundering that fuel skyrocketing housing prices.

Have they said where they'll build this new housing when zoning is a municipal issue and it's dominated by nimby interests?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but my narrower point is, since the NDP aren't in power federally, and don't have the ability to unilaterally construct housing, this is an incomplete promise. Obviously no provincial government or municipality will have negotiated this with the NDP yet since the NDP aren't in power.

My broader point, and this is why the idea that 'politicians should bring people together and not divide us' is to me naive and misunderstands the nature of politics.  Yes, politicians shouldn't go out of their way to be divisive like Donald Trump clearly enjoyed doing, but politics inherently involves choosing one thing over another and so, is inherently divisive.

If the NDP do get into power and construct these 500,000 units, and I hope that is done, NIMBY interests are going to be angry at the three levels of government.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2021, 07:33:30 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2021, 07:45:42 PM by Frank »

The NDP got stomped in Quebec in 2019, but even after that wipeout there was still a small number of ridings that weren't necessarily total lost causes. Are they trying to get the ex-MPs to run again or otherwise looking like they'll make any sort of effort in them, or has the whole province outside of Boulerice's seat been written off for the foreseeable future?

There was a newspaper article a few days ago about not many Quebec NDP MPs who lost in last election running again this time. There is François Choquette in Drummond and Brigitte Sansoucy in Saint-Hyacinthe. Guy Caron is trying for Rimouski Mayor in November.

It mentioned also the party does better where Québec Solidaire did best. Demographics of urban, young, does better among women, students. A goal to win 6 seats, targets Outremont, Laurier Ste-Marie, Beauport-Limoilou, Hochelaga, Sherbrooke.

Eve Péclet is a former MP in east end Montreal who will run in Outremont where she lives. I think there is one another former MP running

Since then Ruth Ellen Brosseau will make an announcement so it looks like she will run in Berthier-Maskinongé again.

While I don't know much about QC politics, I'd imagine going for Quebec Solidaire voters is a much better approach for today's NDP than trying to rebuild that Layton Orange Wave. NDPers tend to have a lot of nostalgia for the Orange Wave, and understandably so given the historic nature of that election. But they need to snap out of it. Even under Mulcair they just barely held on to Saint-Hyacinthe Bagot, Trois-Rivieres, Jonquiere and so on

Quebec Solidaire, if not Quebec Solidaire voters, is the loony left.  Quebec Solidaire is a number of degrees to the left of the NDP.  I don't know if that has any impact on the NDP securing the votes of Quebec Solidaire voters, but I can absolutely see why the NDP does not want to get close to Quebec Solidaire.

And, that is even without taking into account that Quebec Solidaire is a separatist party.

QS and NDP in Montreal have the reputation of being close. The federal NDP did not support the new party NDP Québec last time. I guess it's not to keep good relations with QS and their volunteer.

Half of QS voters are not for sovereignty. It's more for social justice and sovereignty is not their main issue.

I was not aware that QS and the Federal NDP were close in Montreal, but I presume that is at the grassroots level and not anything more official.  

I know QS reaffirmed their support for separatism not that long ago and the NDP in Quebec is generally regarded as a centralist federalist party, though the NDP has succeeded in having that perception modified in recent years, but I can see why the two parties might not want to be seen as too closely officially aligned.

In regards to QS voters, saying half of QS voters not being for 'sovereignty' is not really a help for the NDP given that QS only received 16% of the vote in 2018.  It would certainly not surprise me if many QS voters vote for the BQ given the overall perception of the BQ being a left wing party, though I'm sure there are many differences as well between QS and the BQ.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2021, 03:26:24 PM by Frank »

For some reason, CBC deleted this post of mine on their story on the potential cabinet.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-2021-election-cabinet-1.6194431?__vfz=medium%3Dtray_notification#vf-1710300020567

I'm not really sure what rule this post violated, especially when you can peruse the inane and factually incorrect comments that they don't delete.  I guess all they really want their comment section for is to be a place for people to vent.

My cabinet prediction:

1.Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau
2.Finance/Deputy Prime Minister, Chyrstia Freeland
3.Treasury Board President, Jean Yves Duclos
4.Industry, Francois Phillippe Champaigne
5.International Trade, Mary Ng
6.Economic Development, Tourism and Small Business, Randy Boissonnault
7.Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, Carla Qualtrough
8.Labour, Filomena Tassi
9.Revenue, Diane Lebouthilier
10.Natural Resouces, Seamus O'Regan
11.Agriculture, Marie Claude Bibeau
12.Fisheries, Oceans and Coast Guard, Lena Diab
13.Environment, Jonathan Wilkinson
14.Transport, Omar Alghabra
15.Infrastructure and Communities, Steven Guilbeault
16.Public Services and Procurement, Mona Fortier
17.Social Development, Ahmed Hussen
18.Health, Patty Hajdu
19.Indigenous Services, Marc Miller
20.Crown-Indigenous Relations, Dan Vandal
21.Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Marco Mendicino
22.Intergovernmental Affairs, Dominic Leblanc
23.Heritage, Pablo Rodriguez
24.Veterans Affairs, Lawrence MacAulay
25.Defense, Anita Anand
26.International Development, Karina Gould
27.Foreign Affairs, Marc Garneau
28.Public Safety, Bill Blair
29.Justice and Attorney General, David Lametti
30.Government House Leader, Melanie Joly

Junior Cabinet
1.Seniors, Helena Jaczek
2.Women and Gender Equality, Arielle Kayabaga
3.Digital Government, Joyce Murray
4.North, Yvonne Jones
5.Rural Economic Development, Pascale St. Onge
6.Diversity, Inclusion and Youth, Bardish Chagger
7.Prairies, Jim Carr
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2021, 03:08:52 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2021, 03:44:23 PM by Frank »

I could see Sophie Chatel, the newly elected Liberal in Pontiac, get Rural Economic Development rather than Pascal St. Onge.  Sophie Chatel is a tax lawyer who was the Head of the OECD tax treaty unit. She must have been at least partly responsible for the agreement on the minimum corporate tax, but obviously left before the treaty was completed.

Ideally, she'd probably make a very good Revenue Minister, but if she were posted there, then there would probably be expectations that the Liberals would address the Panama Papers, the Paradise Papers and the Paradox Papers, and I think that's very unlikely.  

It will be interesting to see who the N.D.P appoints as their Revenue Critic and how much they go after the Liberals on this.

I don't believe that the Outaouais region in Quebec is represented in cabinet.  Pascale St. Onge in Brome-Missisquoi is in the L'Estrie (Eastern Townships) which already has a minister with Agriculture Minister Marie Claude Bibeau.

On the other hand though, Pascale St. Onge, as a former Union President for Communications workers and Journalists and as a former musician herself (I believe she was an opera singer) was something of a celebrity/star candidate which the Liberals might want to continue to encourage in running for them by appointing to cabinet.

Sophie Chatel was something of a star candidate herself as the former head of the OECD tax treaty unit but obviously was much lower profile.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »

An Ivison column is finally generating some interest.  He seems to be mostly ignored on Twitter.  I'm pretty sure the Blue Liberals he speaks to are John McKay and maybe Wayne Long.  John McKay seems to have become a big hater of Justin Trudeau ever since Trudeau said that only people who are pro-choice (or, more broadly, agree with the Canadian Constitution) could become Liberal nominees going forward.  I doubt that there are many more, if any more, Blue Liberals than that who speak to Ivison.

As to the article, Ivison blocked me on Twitter years ago for telling him, as I'm going to say again right now, that's he's nothing more than a pretend economist.

For instance, the article continues the non economist failing, as is still evident in oil patch propaganda for instance (though they know better) that there is no cost to the economy if climate change isn't addressed.  Of course, climate change is going to cost multiple sectors of the Canadian economy billions of dollars every year from now on.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2021, 10:45:49 PM »

It makes sense to me, things are likely going to get a lot worse for a couple years before they get better.  For all of the talk of 'Trudeau called the election to get a majority', I figured he also wanted a renewed mandate before the downturn in order to hopefully get past the downturn before having to go back to the polls. That was what David Peterson hoped to do in 1990.  It didn't work for him, but he did correctly expect that Ontario would have its worst economy since the Great Depression.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »

If Erin O'Toole did resign or was forced out as leader, these are the Conservative M.Ps I think would be the most likely to run to replace him.

1.Shannon Stubbs
2.Pierre Polievre
3.Leslyn Lewis
4.Melissa Lantsman
5.Marilyn Gladu
6.Rob Moore
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2021, 08:17:09 PM »

Somewhat out of the Trump playbook, Shelly Glover is seeking to have the results of the Manitoba leadership convention overturned citing 'irregularities.'

However, out of the much more legitimate Stacey Abrams playbook, Glover does seem to have a legitimate case citing that over 1,200 Conservative members did not receive their ballots in order to vote. In so far as Glover lost by just 400 votes, which was much narrower than expected, she might have a legitimate claim.

This is especially the case given that it's likely that most of those who failed to receive ballots were in the rural areas where her support was the strongest and also that there is no question the leadership of the P.C organization were tacitly supporting her opponent Heather Stefanson.  

The Party acknowledged before the vote that there were at least 1,200 members who did not receive a ballot in time to vote, but said that other accommodations had been made available to them.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »

She now said to a CBC journalist "I am the Premier, not her".
She is claiming the party made up 500 botes for her opponent.
She is totally insane.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/glover-lawsuit-election-pc-1.6234056

She's not insane, she's copying the Trump playbook.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2021, 02:20:14 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2021, 02:41:20 AM by Frank »

These are the only remaining Conservatives who served in cabinet left:
Senior cabinet
1.Erin O'Toole
2.Pierre Polievre
3.Ed Fast
4.Kerry Lynne Findlay
5.Michael Chong, briefly a minister before resigning

Junior Ministers
1.Michelle Rempel Garner
2.Tim Uppal
3.Kelly Block
4.Candice Bergen
5.Rob Moore

Turnover seems to be pretty fast in Canada. Only 12 of the original 31 Trudeau Ministers are still in the cabinet:
1.Justin Trudeau
2.Chrystia Freeland
3.Carla Qualtrough
4.Diane Lebouthilier (only minister in original ministry, probably because she does the Liberal government's bidding of not cracking down on wealthy tax cheats.)
5.Marie Claude Bibeau
6.Dominic LeBlanc
7.Jean Yves Duclos
8.Patty Hajdu
9.Lawrence Macaulay
10.Harjit Sajjan
11.Melanie Joly
12.Carolyn Bennett
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2021, 02:40:40 AM »

Also from the I can't sleep files, these are the other Conservative M.Ps remaining who were first elected before 2015.
1.John Williamson
2.Jacques Gourde
3.Bernard Genereux
4.Scott Reid
5.Cheryl Gallant
6.Kyle Seeback
7.Colin Carrie
8.Dean Allison
9.Ben Lobb
10.Dave MacKenzie
11.Larry Maguire
12.Ted Falk
13.James Bezan
14.Andrew Scheer
15.Randy Hoback
16.Blake Richards
17.John Barlow
18.Chris Warkentin
19.Blaine Calkins
20.Earl Dreeshen
21.Mike Lake
22.Dan Albas
23.Bob Zimmer
24.Mark Strahl
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2021, 02:44:48 AM »

Finally, for those who fall for the 'muh freedom' crowd on vaccines, here is the now Conservative Chief Whip Scott Reid admonishing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for breaking the rules on not eating in the House of Commons in March of 2019.  Apparently to Conservatives, eating in the House of Commons is a terrible thing to do, but mandating a life saving vaccine for M.Ps to appear in the House of Commons is a violation of freedom.

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2021, 10:00:11 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2021, 10:22:13 PM by Frank »

The Canadian English television media's coverage regarding the X political event proves they are liberal and conservative hacks.

I hope this isn't news to Canadians here, but to everyone else, I'm being serious.  When conducting interviews especially, the television journalists on all the major networks will veer from advocating completely the position of one extreme of a debate, and then advocate completely for the opposite extreme position.

This is clearly not some random bizarre thing, but must be a bizarre thing taught in English Canadian journalism school.  I find it to be incredibly annoying and not at all helpful in gaining news. I don't know what the French Canadian media is like.

As an example, this is from the Canadian English language questions from Global News' Mercedes Stephenson in the climate change section of the debate:

"Mr. Trudeau starting with you, on your watch Canada's Green House gas emissions have gone up every year since 2016 giving this country the worst emissions reduction record in the G7.  According to the most recent data from your government, Canada's emissions in 2019 were just as high as they were 15 years ago, Environmentalists say that your performance is insufficient.  If you're so serious about climate change, why are Canada's emissions still going up?"

Then
"Mrs. Paul, obviously climate change is a big focus in your plan, your party calls for a 60% reduction in emissions by 2030, others countries that are making that commitment don't face the same challenges that we do here in Canada.  We live in a cold northern sprawling country and our economy still relies on resource extraction much of which you said you'd shut down completely, how would you offset the economic harm that would come from meeting such an aggressive target?"

Since this was a debate, maybe Mercedes Stephenson should have just debated herself.

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »

Conservative Shadow Cabinet

https://www.conservative.ca/erin-otoole-announces-conservative-shadow-cabinet/
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2021, 11:57:02 AM by Frank »

More unwillingness to tackle the far-right element of the party, i.e. giving a position to Marilyn Gladu. Leslyn Lewis was also left out.

I'm late to go right now, but I have to correct my error first.  That's the press release of the last Conservative Shadow cabinet, sorry.  Marilyn Gladu has been dropped, but Pierre Polievre is back in Finance.

This is the correct press release
https://www.conservative.ca/erin-otoole-announces-new-shadow-cabinet/

Sorry for my mistake.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2021, 09:14:05 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 12:02:46 AM by Frank »

For the Conservative Shadow Cabinet, Shannon Stubbs has also been dropped outright.

For any leadership race, it's possible Marilyn Gladu, Leslyn Lewis and Shannon Stubbs would all be rather pissing outside the tent than pissing inside it.

To be sure, this isn't necessarily technically accurate as Justin Trudeau has officially done away with Junior Ministers and I'm not completely sure which ministers have departments and which ministers are under the departments of other ministers, but I break down my junior and senior cabinet ministers based on historical junior and senior ministers.

So, this is mine: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=316424.msg8278685#msg8278685

The Ministry of Economic Development has been dropped in favor of bringing back the regional economic development portfolios.  Also, it seems the Conservatives don't have a separate Intergovernmental Affairs Shadow Minister as the Liberals made Dominic Leblanc both the Intergovernmental Affairs and Infrastructure and Communities Minister.

These are the newly elected M.Ps appointed to shadow what I count as the Senior Ministry
1.National Revenue, Jake Stewart, New Brunswick
2.Fisheries, Oceans and Coast Guard, Rick Perkins, Nova Scotia
3.Transport, Melissa Lantsman, Ontario
4.Families, Children and Social Development, Laila Goodridge, Alberta
5.Veterans Affairs (and Associate Defence) Frank Caputo, British Columbia

Interesting that the Conservative who won the riding of South Shore-St Margaret's has been made the Fisheries, Oceans and Coast Guard Shadow Minister, I hope the Conservatives aren't going to demagogue the native/non native standoff.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2021, 09:32:50 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2021, 09:51:06 PM by Frank »

Very few shadow ministers remain in the same positions as in the last shadow cabinet appointed in February 2021.  It's possible that Erin O'Toole might be trying to have his shadow ministers serve in a variety of positions.

These are the ones who keep their previous critic roles
1.Environment, Dan Albas
2.Infrastructure and Communities, Andrew Scheer
3.Public Services and Procurement, Pierre Paul Hus
4.Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Jasraj Singh Hallan
5.International Development, Garnett Genuis (but 'Human Rights' is no longer specified)
6.Foreign Affairs, Michael Chong
7.Justice and Attorney General, Rob Moore
8.House Leader, Gerard Deltell, (not really a 'critic role' to be sure)

Jamie Schmale and Gary Vidal flip over as Indigenous Services and Crown-Indigenous Relations Shadow Ministers.

Dan Albas is interesting.  He had been something of a global warming denier.  It seems he's tied his political future to Erin O'Toole.

Dropped from what I consider senior cabinet critic roles outright are:
1.Warren Steinley
2.Tracy Gray
3.Mark Strahl (apparently also something of a Covid denier)
4.Phillip Lawrence
5.Greg McLean
6.Lianne Rood
7.Richard Bragdon
8.Corey Tochor
9.Chris D'Entremont
10.Alain Reyes (but promoted to Quebec Lieutenant)
11.John Brassard
12.James Bezan (given the position of question period coordinator among other things.  He was first elected in 2004 and has been involved with the Defence Ministry pretty much the entire time as committee chair, parliamentary secretary and shadow minister, it's possible this is his last term.)
13.Shannon Stubbs

I haven't looked to see which of the others have been shifted to what I consider to be more junior roles.

13 previous shadow ministers were dropped, 2 shadow ministries were dropped and five newly elected M.Ps got into the 'senior' shadow cabinet, so six incumbent M.Ps must have been added. They are:

1.Kelly McAuley (male), Alberta
2.Randy Hoback, Saskatchewan
3.Scott Aitchison, Ontario
4.John Barlow, Alberta
5.John Nater, Ontario, Heritage (interesting the Conservatives giving the position to a non Quebecer)

6.Kerry Lynne  Findlay in Defence.  Interesting her return to the shadow cabinet.  She was the Revenue Minister under Stephen Harper from 2011-2015 and had a number of controversies due to her almost certainly illegal audits of environmental organizations. She was defeated in 2015 but reelected in 2019.  Her highest profile action since that time was to retweet a conspiracy theory involving George Soros.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2021, 09:40:46 PM »

Gary Burrill has resigned as leader of the Nova Scotia NDP after this summer's lacklustre result.

In terms of leadership contenders, just about everyone on caucus could plausibly be the new leader.

It's not like I know anything, but based on having higher profiles than the average New Democrat, I could also see these defeated candidates in the last provincial election run for the leadership:

1.Cheryl Burbidge (also ran federally)
2.Mercedes Brian
3.Alison Smith
4.Abby Cameron
5.Joanne Hussey
6.Colter Simmonds
7.John Morgan

Maybe former MLA and narrowly defeated federal candidate Lisa Roberts as well.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 07:01:41 PM by Frank »

Thank you for your lack of interest in my breakdown of the Conservative shadow cabinet. I hate you all.  Smile   Angel
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »

Speaker election today, 7 candidates.

Anthony Rota (Liberal, MP for Nipissing-Temiskaming 2004-2011 and since 2015; incumbent Speaker since 2019)
Alexandra Mendès (Liberal, MP for Brossard-La Prairie 2008-2011 and Brossard--Saint-Lambert since 2015; Assistant Deputy Speaker since 2019)
Marc Dalton (Conservative, MP for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge since 2019; BC Liberal MLA for Maple Ridge-Mission 2009-2017)
Chris d'Entremont (Conservative, MP for West Nova since 2019; PC MHA for Argyle 2003-2013, Argyle-Barrington 2013-2019; former provincial Cabinet minister)
Joël Godin (Conservative, MP for Portneuf--Jacques-Cartier since 2015)
Carol Hughes (NDP, MP for Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing since 2008; Assistant Deputy Speaker since 2015
Elizabeth May (Green, MP for Saanich-Gulf Islands since 2011; Green Party leader 2006-2019)

Interesting in that if Elizabeth May becomes Speaker that could be the death knell for the party at the federal level.  They have the one other M.P in Kitchener, Mike Morrice, but he doesn't seem to be interested in running for the leadership, and, while this is purely speculation on my part, he seems to be more of a pragmatic environmentalist, the exact sort of person the Liberals would attempt to woo to their party.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2021, 01:33:56 AM »

There were an additional 28 deputy shadow ministers for a grand total of 83 in the official opposition shadow cabinet or caucus officers.

These are the 36 Conservative M.Ps left out:
British Columbia
1.Rob Morrison
2.Mark Strahl
3.Mark Dalton

Alberta
4.Chris Warkentin
5.Shannon Stubbs
6.Rachael Harder
7.Glen Motz
8.Arnold Viersen
9.Earl Dreeshen
10.Gerald Soroka
11.Michael Cooper
12.Greg McLean
13.Len Webber
14.Bob Benzen
15.Pat Kelly
16.Tom Kmiec
17.Ron Liepert

Saskatchewan
18.Rosemarie Falk
19.Kelly Block
20.Jeremy Patzer
21.Robert Kitchener
22.Cathay Wagantall
23.Michael Kram

Manitoba
24.Dan Mazier
25.Ted Falk
26.Marty Morantz

Ontario
27.Cheryl Gallant
28.Alex Ruff
29.Kyle Seeback
30.Dean Allison
31.Leslyn Lewis
32.Dave MacKenzie
33.Marilyn Gladu
34.Colin Carrie

Quebec
35.Joel Godin

New Brunswick
36.John Williamson
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2021, 12:39:39 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2021, 12:45:08 AM by Frank »

There were an additional 28 deputy shadow ministers for a grand total of 83 in the official opposition shadow cabinet or caucus officers.

These are the 36 Conservative M.Ps left out:
British Columbia
1.Rob Morrison
2.Mark Strahl
3.Mark Dalton

Alberta
4.Chris Warkentin
5.Shannon Stubbs
6.Rachael Harder
7.Glen Motz
8.Arnold Viersen
9.Earl Dreeshen
10.Gerald Soroka
11.Michael Cooper
12.Greg McLean
13.Len Webber
14.Bob Benzen
15.Pat Kelly
16.Tom Kmiec
17.Ron Liepert

Saskatchewan
18.Rosemarie Falk
19.Kelly Block
20.Jeremy Patzer
21.Robert Kitchen
22.Cathay Wagantall
23.Michael Kram

Manitoba
24.Dan Mazier
25.Ted Falk
26.Marty Morantz

Ontario
27.Cheryl Gallant
28.Alex Ruff
29.Kyle Seeback
30.Dean Allison
31.Leslyn Lewis
32.Dave MacKenzie
33.Marilyn Gladu
34.Colin Carrie

Quebec
35.Joel Godin

New Brunswick
36.John Williamson

Some of them are not really left out, as the Deputy Speaker (Bruce Stanton retired, so maybe Joel Godin or Marc Dalton?) is not named yet, neither are commission chairs (Warkentin was Ethics chair, Gladu was Status of Women chair (through I assume she will be replaced), Kitchen (not Kitchener) was chair of Government Operations, Block was chair of Public Accounts and Allison was co-chair of Regulations).

Yes, thanks for this addition. I was thinking of mentioning something like that but I couldn't find out all the Conservative M.Ps who have been offside with O'Toole, so I decided to just write up the list of those not included and let that speak for itself.

A few points though now that you've added some of the names

1.In terms of Assistant or Deputy Speakers, for what it's worth if anything, Marc Dalton was an Assistant Deputy Speaker in the B.C legislature for at least part of 2013-2017.

2.Rob Merrifield and probably a couple others were members of the National Security (oversight) Committee which the Conservatives quit in protest to some Liberal government action.  It is possible the Conservatives will either rejoin or will negotiate to try to rejoin.

3.Thanks for the information on the Conservative M.Ps who were committee chairs in the last Parliament.  Of course, I wouldn't expect Dean Allison to be reappointed as he has gone full 'antivax.'  (Never go full antivax.)

I also wouldn't expect Chris Warkentin to receive any position as he, along with the similarly left out Shannon Stubbs, have both been critical of Erin O'Toole's leadership.

4.On the other side, I'm familiar with at least Ron Liepert and Marty Morantz who have been supportive of Erin O'Toole's leadership, so I'm surprised they weren't appointed to any shadow cabinet positions, especially since both are senior politicians.  Liepert might have been left out due to his age (72) but he is a former Alberta Finance Minister, while Morantz is just one of 13 lawyers in the Conservative caucus.  

Morantz was also a Winnipeg City Councilor and chair of its finance committee.  Two Winnipeg City Council finance committee chairs have gone on to higher office: Greg Selinger first as Finance Minister under Gary Doer and then as Premier, and Scott Fielding, the current Finance Minister.  Former Manitoba Premier Gary Filmon was also previously a Winnipeg City Councilor. While he wasn't the finance committee chair (if the position existed at that time) he was on the Winnipeg city council executive committee.

5.It is interesting though, I think, that 14 of those left out (so far) are Albertans.  That's almost half (14/30) of the Alberta Conservative caucus.

I also agree that with the other comments that there seem to be three 'buckets' of those who were left out:  1.those critical of Erin O'Toole, 2.the anti vaxxers 3.at least some of the overtly religious right.  I believe about half of the Conservative caucus voted against the Conversion Therapy ban in the last Parliament, so obviously many who voted against it have Shadow Cabinet positions, but it does seem that many if not all of the most vocal against it have been left out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies