Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:07:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 188836 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2022, 10:04:13 AM »

Those headlines are so misleading. It only got that far because complicit police forces refused to do their jobs.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »

Every single country in the world does protect its multinationals by making deals. By refusing to make a deal, Wilson-Raybauld (one of the worst Attorney General ever) put her ego over her job. The media only got upset because they can't accept that Quebec has a successful business instead of Bay Street.

"We broke the law, but we did it for the right reasons!"

Now what's your explanation for WE Charity and the Kielburgers?

A former SNC-Lavalin official pretty much said it in news yesterday. If they didn't do what they did, contracts would go to American or European businesses doing the exact same things as SNC-Lavalin, with their governments turning a blind eye. Canada is a small country, it doesn't make the rules.

I'm not a Liberal voter and certainly won't defend the whole WE charade or the incompetent mess that was Bill Morneau.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »

— Showdown lowdown: Invoking the Emergencies Act is a measure of last resort. It gives the federal government enormous powers to quell the disturbances, shut down crowdfunding and freeze the bank accounts of anyone assessed to be aiding the demonstrators.

It also means an inquiry is on the horizon, one that will be mandated to interrogate all the decisions that led Trudeau’s government to invoke the emergency measures.

Would that be a Parliamentary inquiry? In other words, Trudeau's party would have a minority of the membership? If so, I see an election in the near future to avoid it, because that's how Trudeau's Liberals think.

Reading the law, the emergency declaration needs to be approved by both Houses within 7 days of the publication of the degree and then re-approved every 30 days (even if the Houses are adjourned or in recess).

There must be a parlimentary committee made of MPs and Senators. This is not the inquiry, which seems to be a traditionnal judge-led one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2022, 10:33:29 AM »

Honestly, it's a stretch to even consider SNC Lavalin a "scandal" to begin with.

I always go under the principle of "if the other party did this, would this party complain?" This is how you can distinguish partisan hacks that only care about power from people that have principles. If SNC-Lavelin happened under the Harper government, would the Liberals have pounced on it as a scandal and telling of the corruption of the ruling government in how it kowtows to big business? The answer to that question is yes. Your only other option to anyone that says otherwise is for you to acknowledge your naked hypocrisy that you're a partisan that will lie and spin truth to benefit the party you support so they can take and remain in power. It's why I'm no longer a Republican, and I'll never be a Democrat, Democrats will lie and stick a knife in your back smiling at you the whole time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNC-Lavalin_affair

The Bloc did actually not attack the Liberals over that (well, they did attack until Wilson-Raybould was fired) and attacked the Conservatives over "their attacks on Quebec economy" when they attacked Trudeau over it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »

Tell me , what would be your reaction if Trump had fried Mueller

Wrong analogy, it would work way better if you said Barr (and I would have no problem with it).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2022, 04:20:24 PM »

Red States should fine any banks that go along with this . It’s time to take on these authoritarian actions head on

I'm eager to see DeSantis in jail in Canada for sedition.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2022, 07:11:16 PM »

The National Assembly has adopted a unanimous motion asking the federal government not to apply the Emergency Act on Quebec territory.

A majority of Premiers have made comments not really agreeing with the federal government move. Ontario and BC Premiers seem to support it.

Why the hell do they keep getting special treatment

Because the Montreal and Quebec City police forces are actually competent and managed to keep the situation under control.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2022, 07:26:24 PM »

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trudeau-plans-record-number-of-immigrants-to-canada-through-2024-1.1723412

Trudeau plans to increase immigration to record levels through 2024.

I'm not Canadian and I of course do not know all the details on this, but I can't imagine this will be good in terms of the already horrific housing affordability crisis up north.

It's not really changing anything, because those changes are to compensate for the fact way less immigrants were admitted than planned in 2020 and 2021. Even quite anti-immigration Quebec made the same move a few months ago. Same total as before, but more numbers added in 2022/3/4 to compensate 2020/1 way lower than planned originally.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2022, 09:23:38 AM »

The National Assembly has adopted a unanimous motion asking the federal government not to apply the Emergency Act on Quebec territory.

A majority of Premiers have made comments not really agreeing with the federal government move. Ontario and BC Premiers seem to support it.

Why the hell do they keep getting special treatment

Because the Montreal and Quebec City police forces are actually competent and managed to keep the situation under control.

Are there only 2 cities in all of the province of Quebec?

To further this take, what you, MaxQue, is saying, is that the police in every other province and territory in the entire country are not competent, from St. John's to Yellowknife, and therefore for that reason are subject to Emergencies Act? This is your logic, correct?

Those are the only 2 places in Quebec where trucker demonstrations happened. I, for sure, wouldn't call my local police competent.

It seems that, at the point, the only area that needs the Emergencies Act is Ottawa, but it not possible to declare in one province only without Ford playing ball (and he doesn't as he is focused on pandering to his base for winning re-election in June). The National Assembly of Quebec, of course, doesn't give a damn about St John's or Yellowknife and is only focused on itself.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2022, 03:06:32 PM »

In my local news, there is more proof of the lawlessness of the demonstrators. A snow removal contrator just decided to go in Ottawa and is there since 2 weeks. His customers don't get the services they paid for (in other words, he stole their money) and his answer to customers is pretty much "don't blame me, blame Trudeau".

Yet another proof demonstrators are overgrown manchildren with no concept of responability.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2022, 08:41:49 PM »

Ahem

And they will collapse again when they choose as Stockwell Day-type nut as their leader.
Talking of Stockwell Day, today, he compared Ottawa to the Tienanmen Place.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2022, 01:10:56 PM »

Wait, what. He's one of my favorite Canadian Youtubers and I know he leans moderate / economically liberal, but I've never seen him express that opinion?

JJ McCullough, moderate or liberal? Now I've heard everything.

As for the other point, he seems to believe there is no meaningful difference between Canada and the US and we're just a hanger-on to a broader American culture or what have you.

JJ McCullough is pretty much far-right by Canadian critaria, as he believes in ideas that are quite out there (like anti-bilinguism and him being furiously anti-Quebec).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2022, 02:29:15 PM »

Wait, what. He's one of my favorite Canadian Youtubers and I know he leans moderate / economically liberal, but I've never seen him express that opinion?

JJ McCullough, moderate or liberal? Now I've heard everything.

As for the other point, he seems to believe there is no meaningful difference between Canada and the US and we're just a hanger-on to a broader American culture or what have you.

JJ McCullough is pretty much far-right by Canadian critaria, as he believes in ideas that are quite out there (like anti-bilinguism and him being furiously anti-Quebec).

JJ McCullough is not remotely "far-right" lol. His views on bilingualism are unusually right-wing, and his obsession with the US is unusual (though by no means far-right). But most of his other takes on politics are pretty much those of a mainstream Conservative in Canada. Unless you believe that the CPC itself is "far-right", or that one's views on Quebec and the French language are the only indicators of their politics, he's not far-right

He also went on rants calling BC Liberals far-left when they refused to have Aaron Gunn (some guy in the leadership of hard-right organisation Canada Proud; the only right-wing candidate, according to McCullough) in their leadership race.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2022, 05:18:18 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2022, 05:55:34 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2022, 06:26:57 PM »

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 

The emergency will have to be approved by the Parliament (Trudeau has a majority in neither house) next week and then every 30 days. That's a democratic norms.

And what about the individual rights of the inhabitants of Ottawa? Of people who lost income because of factory closures caused by the border being blocks? Why the individual rights of wannabe January-6ers are more important than theirs?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »

So Orwellian

The Orwellian thing here is Anthony Furey who works for the right wing propagandist Sun Chain and is in no way a credible journalist.
So you support the concept of calling an emergency for a potential future event?

The wannabe January-6ers just fled to Embrun, a French town near Ottawa and already said they will be back as soon the police reopen the streets in Ottawa downtown. So, the events of the last weeks are not even finished yet.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »

So Orwellian

The Orwellian thing here is Anthony Furey who works for the right wing propagandist Sun Chain and is in no way a credible journalist.
So you support the concept of calling an emergency for a potential future event?

The wannabe January-6ers just fled to Embrun, a French town near Ottawa and already said they will be back as soon the police reopen the streets in Ottawa downtown. So, the events of the last weeks are not even finished yet.
Imagine if the government compromised on the mandates that are ending in many different places.

The government already removed the testing mandate for vaccinated travellers. Policy has to be decided by the elected government, not by violent thugs, arsonists and foreign-funded militias, especially as their main demand now seems to be a change of government.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »

Also, respecting a college dean is hardly not questioning authority. Especially in the context of the 1960s and protestors at universities like Berkeley refusing to comply with school norms.

It was part of the idea of respecting authority, and it's you who have misinterpreted the song - marijuana, LSD and burning draft cards were not a matter of personal choice, but were/are illegal.

The rest is part of the debate over the song: how much of it was personal choice and how much of it was forced social conformity?

No. The point is that they're choosing not to. They could use drugs and burn draft cards, like the hippies are doing, but they won't.

Quote from: North Carolina Conservative link=topic=316424.msg8488485#msg8488485

Boomer hippies are so funny. I am unfree and it is literally 1984 because LSD is illegal. Sex outside of marriage is a federal crime. Long hair is banned.

Did you consider it a great imposition to your freedom to have to wear a mask during a pandemic?

I certainly didn't like it.

But, you don't have a problem with LSD or other drugs being illegal?

I do, actually.

1.Again, that is part of the debate about the song's lyrics, whether it was meant as a straight homage to small town America or as a parody of its social conformity. From wiki, this is what Merle Haggard himself said:

In an interview with American Songwriter, Haggard called the song a "character study," his 1969 self being the character: "It was the photograph that I took of the way things looked through the eyes of a fool... and most of America was under the same assumptions I was. As it's stayed around now for 40 years, I sing the song now with a different attitude onstage... I've become educated... I play it now with a different projection. It's a different song now. I'm different now.

2.However, if you support legalizing drugs, then I don't have a disagreement with you anyway.

1. I am aware. The lyrics support my point.

2. You do. Because LSD being illegal doesn't change that Americans are the freest people in the world.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

No, freedom is independence from state compulsion.

That's not what freedom means, it's a concept which philosophers and political theorrists have written abour for millenia, it's way wider that what you describe it. Anyways, the current group is just upset they don't have the "freedom" to impose their views on the whole society. Sore losers whose parents failed at their jobs by never learning to them what no means.

Your definition is just the fake definition given to it by the amoral ultra free marketers running the Republican Party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2022, 03:15:45 PM »

So Orwellian

Imagine if the government compromised on the mandates that are ending in many different places.

So, if there was a blockade in say, Calgary, that opposed the Alberta government's ending of all mandates, do you think the Kenney UCP government should seek compromise with them?

If I was kenney I would be willing to meet the crowd and explain how they have the option to voluntarily check vaccination status at their business.

But they cannot, as Kenney is deleting the app to do so. So, you would just be lying (okay, granted, that's why Kenney does all the time).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »

So Orwellian

The government already removed the testing mandate for vaccinated travellers. Policy has to be decided by the elected government, not by violent thugs, arsonists and foreign-funded militias, especially as their main demand now seems to be a change of government.
A border testing mandate is more logical than a vaccine mandate though.

It just seems like Trudeau wants to punish those who disobeyed his "get vaccinated" order.

Also, he met with a took a knee to protesters in 2020 also so he is not against doing anything you mentioned.

Well, the logistics of the latter are way easier (and cheaper) than the former.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2022, 09:27:44 PM »

It's a shame how indifferent the NDP is to this government using emergency powers to restrict civil liberties. Tommy Douglas was far more critical of the government using emergency powers in a much more serious situation.

This isn't your grandfather's NDP anymore.

One recalls that the young Jack Layton was drawn to the NDP thanks to Tommy Douglas's principled opposition to the invocation of the War Measures Act. The contemporary NDP would never do such a thing because it would involve taking any sort of stand at all.

Giving the keys of 24 Sussex Drive to Candice Bergen is worse than "principled opposition".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2022, 10:50:39 AM »

MaxQue is defending Trudeau's actions while Trudeau and his party are smearing all opposition.
If we approach this from a strictly logical perspective, MaxQue defending Trudeau's actions on the Ottawa occupation does not automatically mean he is supporting Trudeau's party's actions in the House Of Commons. What if in the future, you support POTUS Trump doing something in 2025 and then Taylor-Greene shoots her mouth off in the House about something illogical. Would you like people to characterize you as supporting Greene's comments because she is in the POTUS' political party?

I mean Trudeau's actions are what I find so extremely authoritarian and a clear disregard for basic democratic principles. The reason I have brought up what Trudeau and liberal mp's have said in the House of Commons is that Maxque basically got so upset by my characterization of Trudeau's polices as fascist when Trudeau and his party at this very moment are justifying the use of emergency powers by smearing their opponents as fascists.

Is it a smear if it's true?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2022, 01:01:29 PM »

Nope, no emergency here. Everything is clearly hunky dory in this city. Roll Eyes

I'm not going to feel safe until all the yahoos are gone.

The police was weak again, they should have been forced to go home, instead of being allowed to go terrorize Embrun instead.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2022, 10:15:48 AM »

With the Russian invasion of Ukraine we are getting a real-time example of what an actual emergency looks like.

That's not an emergency, that's a war.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies