Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 139
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 186700 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »

I am surprised that nobody on here has talked about Duterte having ABS-CBN shut down a few days ago.

This is the Canada thread, hoser.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2020, 01:54:33 AM »

Yes, it has an NDP bias. Yes, it's a good video.

Topics include:
- Voters giving Wynne's Liberaks credit for Trudeau's COVID response
- Issues with Conservative and Liberals privatizing long term care facilities
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »

Dominique Anglade becomes the leader of the Quebec Liberal Party after the only other candidate withdrew. She is the first woman to lead the party.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2020, 04:16:43 AM »

An anti-vaxxer who believes eating organic will stop the novel coronavirus told me yesterday that she hopes somebody shoots and kills Trudeau for keeping businesses closed this long.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2020, 05:08:32 AM »

At times like this, anti-vaxxers are the Darwin Awards in action.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »

An anti-vaxxer who believes eating organic will stop the novel coronavirus told me yesterday that she hopes somebody shoots and kills Trudeau for keeping businesses closed this long.
Oh yes! A good old-fashioned assassination would definitely stabilize the country, end the panic, and convince the government to open businesses.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »

I think our patience is stretching thin. I feel deeply betrayed by our leaders, especially Trudeau, in how they have been dealing with all this and contributing to the panic. He also forcibly passed through gun control laws, bypassing parliament. This is a very dangerous precedent. These events have deeply changed how I view politics. Do not take for granted your rights and freedoms you might have today. I don't think we will ever fully recover from this.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2020, 01:33:08 AM »

I think our patience is stretching thin. I feel deeply betrayed by our leaders, especially Trudeau, in how they have been dealing with all this and contributing to the panic.
Trudeau isn't causing ENOUGH panic. I deal with the public every day and there are MANY people acting like we aren't in a state of emergency. I don't only base this on my gut feelings, but what epidemiologists, scientists and staticians have to say about it. Facts and science matter. A lot. You can disagree with experts, but people will understandably ask you why you think they're wrong and what evidence you have to support your claims.

He also forcibly passed through gun control laws, bypassing parliament. This is a very dangerous precedent.
Womp womp on the gun control laws, but I do have to agree with you that bypassing parliament is usually a bad thing and I don't support it in 95% of cases, including this one.

These events have deeply changed how I view politics. Do not take for granted your rights and freedoms you might have today. I don't think we will ever fully recover from this.
Rights have historically ALWAYS been suspended under martial law. This isn't quite that but it is a legitimate emergency / crisis. This is nothing new. We will recover from this just fine, although the economy won't come back right away.[/quote]
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2020, 05:20:26 AM »

I mean, Canada has the precedent of the War Measures Act 50 years ago during the October Crisis.

Not everybody agreed with what was done there, then or now, but the real point is maybe that most of those "emergency" powers were rescinded when things returned to normal.

Similar vigilance is required with the present situation, across all democracies.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #234 on: May 14, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »

Topics include:

Comparing us to B.C.? Good f**king bye lmfao
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #235 on: May 14, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »

I'm more worried about the precedent this sets than anything else. It may not be in bad faith this time but our freedoms should be far more safeguarded than this. We need to advocate for smaller and safer government, and put our citizens in charge. I believe we can all work towards a greater good without the government taking control.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #236 on: May 14, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »

I'm more worried about the precedent this sets than anything else. It may not be in bad faith this time but our freedoms should be far more safeguarded than this.

We need to advocate for safer government, and put our citizens in charge.
Agreed.

We need to advocate for smaller government

I believe we can all work towards a greater good without the government taking control.
Disagree on smallsr government, but to each their own.

Canadians will not work together towards a greater good with no government involvement. There is a HUGE amount of selfishness, narcissism and tunnel vision in our culture that I denied as an optimistic teenager but I see now. A large amount of the population only pretend to give a s___ about each other. I already knew this, but the pandemic has proven it without a doubt in my eyes. You wouldn't believe how much BS I have seen in these last two months.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #237 on: May 14, 2020, 10:11:04 PM »

Topics include:
Comparing us to B.C.? Good f**king bye lmfao
What SPECIFICALLY was wrong with his comparison?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2020, 04:50:18 PM by RogueBeaver »

A Snowbird jet crashed into a Kamloops house, pilot was injured.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2020, 07:11:31 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2020, 07:24:26 AM by Donald Daddy Fetish T'Chenka »

Trudeau warns against spreading COVID-19 by "speaking moistly".

EDIT - Just realized this was on the news and everything 6 weeks ago and lots of people already saw it.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2020, 08:32:34 PM »

Will the Bloc collapse because they tied themselves to the CAQ and will the NDP get a minority/majority next Alberta elections?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2020, 02:33:29 AM »

Will the Bloc collapse because they tied themselves to the CAQ and will the NDP get a minority/majority next Alberta elections?

To your Quebec question, if they do it won't be because of the CAQ. Despite some of the missteps made by the Legault government in recent weeks, he still has remarably high approval ratings (he also did before coronavirus). It will take years for the Liberals to rebuild, especially in the non-Montreal parts of Quebec, as the Quebec Liberal brand is too closely associated with corruption, austerity, and multiculturalism. Parti Québecois is in shambles--with sovereignty off the agenda all but the most hardcore separatists have accepted the CAQ's soft nationalism, while left-wing voters who traditionally voted PQ as the social democratic option now have Québec Solidaire as a more credibly leftist option. However, the QS is too far to the left and urban-focused to seriously challenge the CAQ. Legault and the CAQ are in an extremely strong position, they would have to really, really, really screw up to become a toxic enough brand to hurt the Bloc. If anything, the Bloc saved themselves by tying themselves to the CAQ.

I don't think the Bloc could collapse in the next election, but they may well lose seats. But that won't be due to the CAQ, that would probably be attributed to the federal Liberals riding on Trudeau's current popularity.

As for Alberta, hard to say, although the Tories haven't done themselves many favours. They spent four years blaming the NDP for Alberta's hardships--agree with them or not, that sets the expectation that they will come in and fix everything. But by the look of things, they'll be presiding over an even more difficult time, and Kenney's numbers were collapsing before the Covid-19 situation. However, Alberta is Alberta. Yes the NDP won in 2015, but there were two right-wing parties in that election, splitting the vote almost evenly. It's still an uphill battle for the NDP, though not impossible.

I can say this for sure though: the NDP won't get a minority in the next Alberta elections. Alberta is a firmly two-party province at this point, and the polarisation around Jason Kenney will ensure that. The Alberta Liberals are a joke, and the Alberta Party may win a seat or two if they play their cards right. Under these circumstances, minority government is pretty much mathematically impossible.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2020, 02:38:38 PM »

Canada police arrest 20 and bring hundreds of charges in violent tow truck turf wars
Police in Canada have arrested 20 people and brought hundreds of charges – including first-degree murder – in their latest attempt to disrupt violent turf wars between rival tow-truck operators.

“We allege that the competition for control of the tow market has resulted in murders, attempted murders, shootings, assaults, arsons, threats and property damage,” said the superintendent, Mike Slack, in a video announcing the arrests.
We don’t bring up in Anglophone discourse of the dark underbelly of Canadian society at times, filled with violence and corruption on par of what stories you hear coming out the US on organized crime.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2020, 08:47:53 PM »

The Parliament budget officer estimates the federal deficit at $260 billion.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-deficit-likely-now-at-260-billion-due-to-covid-19-pbo-says-1.4955585
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »

Legault and the CAQ are in an extremely strong position, they would have to really, really, really screw up to become a toxic enough brand to hurt the Bloc. If anything, the Bloc saved themselves by tying themselves to the CAQ.

The Bloc was help by relaying Quebec's goverment demands in the last election. In the next election it could be hurt if CAQ decides to criticize the Bloc, its usefulness, or point disagreements in policy.

The Bloc seems to be holding 30% of the federal Quebec vote which is much more than not distant past. But if support holds or not will depend come the election how people feel of the other options and what are the main issues in the election.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »

what do the resident Canucks of this board think of these videos? They just now cropped up in Youtube recommendeds.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »

what do the resident Canucks of this board think of these videos? They just now cropped up in Youtube recommendeds.
LMAO! I only watched the first one. Lots of good references and small details that only a Canadoan would get/notice. Very well made video. Most of it is a p!ss take but there's some truth to it as well. Some of this stuff is Canadian and some of it only applies to white non-immigrants though. Those commercials took me back, oh my god. Bodybreak, Sleep Country Canada and North American House Hippo.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:15 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 02:33:33 AM by Face Masks Prevent You From Speaking Moistly »

Trudeau was asked about Trump's clearing of protestors with tear gas and threats to use the military against the protestors, and he stood silently figuring out which words he could use to not trigger Trump for literally 20 to 21 seconds. Translated from Canadian that roughly means something like "Trump is a piece of s___".

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies