Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:33:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 139
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 187204 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: August 09, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »

Canada should not have reopened the border with the US. As an American, I think they should keep us out forever.
lol
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1551 on: August 09, 2021, 11:34:22 PM »

Canada should not have reopened the border with the US. As an American, I think they should keep us out forever.
lol

Contrary to popular belief, I mean everything I say. The US is the last country on Earth where this will still be a problem.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1552 on: August 10, 2021, 02:58:36 AM »

Interesting that the NDP has chosen Cheryl Hardcastle as their candidate in Windsor-Tecumseh, given she was a big part of the reason why she lost. It might not matter though.

Is there any Electoral Calculus style website where I can put some polling numbers in and see what happens? I know there's the 338 simulator, but anything more detailed would be fun.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1553 on: August 10, 2021, 08:23:45 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2021, 08:26:58 AM by Senator Ishan »

Is there any Electoral Calculus style website where I can put some polling numbers in and see what happens? I know there's the 338 simulator, but anything more detailed would be fun.
https://www.tooclosetocall.ca/p/canada-simulator.html
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1554 on: August 10, 2021, 10:07:30 AM »

https://www.tooclosetocall.ca/p/canada-simulator.html

Ooh that is good. Thanks very much.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1555 on: August 10, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »

Interesting that the NDP has chosen Cheryl Hardcastle as their candidate in Windsor-Tecumseh, given she was a big part of the reason why she lost. It might not matter though.

If O'Toole's "blue collar strategy" actually goes anywhere (so far no evidence it's resonating at all) Windsor-Tecumseh is the kind of seat they could take.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1556 on: August 10, 2021, 02:16:23 PM »

If O'Toole's "blue collar strategy" actually goes anywhere (so far no evidence it's resonating at all) Windsor-Tecumseh is the kind of seat they could take.

Strikes me as a pretty weak strategy. What other seats are there that would flip? A few ridings like Sydney-Victoria, plus a few Hamilton and Niagara seats and maybe a few in Northern Ontario. That doesn't seem enough if he's struggling in York and the BC Lower Mainland.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1557 on: August 10, 2021, 09:33:20 PM »

This is a pretty stunning statement:

Here is a mildly shocking implication of our recent polling . If these numbers hold up it may explain why Pierre Poilievre is vigorously campaigning . And Erin O'Toole. There are literally no safe CPC seats in Ontario right now . #1993

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfFranky/status/1425281814625718282
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #1558 on: August 10, 2021, 11:42:31 PM »

Here is a mildly shocking implication of our recent polling . If these numbers hold up it may explain why Pierre Poilievre is vigorously campaigning . And Erin O'Toole. There are literally no safe CPC seats in Ontario right now . #1993

"Literally no safe CPC seats" seems like a bit of a stretch, there's no amount of scumbaggery that could lead the Tories to lose seats like Renfrew-Nipissing or Elgin-Middlesex. But if the election goes right for the Liberals and badly for the Tories, there's a world where both O'Toole and Poilievre are looking for a new job by the end of September.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1559 on: August 11, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »

Frank Graves deleted the post.

Even if the CPC was at 20% in Ontario I think they'd still win some seats.  In 90s situation was different with Reform and PCs evenly split, allowing Liberals to win rural seats with vote splits.
Central Lake
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #1560 on: August 11, 2021, 05:02:35 PM »

Regarding the discussed Erin O' Toole blue collar strategy. It could have an effect in defending the ridings of Kenora and Essex
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1561 on: August 12, 2021, 12:40:38 AM »

"Literally no safe CPC seats" seems like a bit of a stretch, there's no amount of scumbaggery that could lead the Tories to lose seats like Renfrew-Nipissing or Elgin-Middlesex. But if the election goes right for the Liberals and badly for the Tories, there's a world where both O'Toole and Poilievre are looking for a new job by the end of September.

I could easily see Tories falling below 30 seats and maybe even 25 seats if things go really badly, but I would be shocked if they got under 20 seats in Ontario.  Only way that happens is if PPC starts getting around 10% in polls which I don't see happening.
laddicus finch

« Reply #1562 on: August 12, 2021, 07:47:39 AM »

New Abacus: https://abacusdata.ca/election-2021-liberals-lead-by-9/

I wanted to pinpoint the Quebec numbers in particular. If the main anti-LPC parties in Quebec (BQ and Tories) split like that (poll suggests 22-19), the Liberals will win a good number of seats there without really having to increase their numbers all that much. A simple Tooclosetocall input of those numbers gives the LPC 45 seats in Quebec, 10 more than they won in 2019 and 5 more than 2015.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1563 on: August 12, 2021, 09:29:08 AM »

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1564 on: August 12, 2021, 11:49:31 AM »

New Abacus: https://abacusdata.ca/election-2021-liberals-lead-by-9/

I wanted to pinpoint the Quebec numbers in particular. If the main anti-LPC parties in Quebec (BQ and Tories) split like that (poll suggests 22-19), the Liberals will win a good number of seats there without really having to increase their numbers all that much. A simple Tooclosetocall input of those numbers gives the LPC 45 seats in Quebec, 10 more than they won in 2019 and 5 more than 2015.

A bit skeptical of Quebec numbers, but Quebec doesn't tend to make up its mind until about 2 weeks before the election and wild swings not uncommon there.  Ontario more interesting as while you can swing a lot of seats with a relatively small shift, its unusual for a party to rise or fall more than 10 points during a campaign.  2015 perhaps exception where Liberals rose quite a bit there although Tory vote was pretty flat in Ontario whole campaign and most of shift was from NDP to Liberals.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1565 on: August 12, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2021, 01:43:46 PM by King of Kensington »

With the Liberals ahead of the Tories in Ontario by 13 points, the NDP would likely end up with few new seats there even with 22% province-wide.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1566 on: August 12, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »

Uni-Rosedale could also vote NDP theoretically, but not with Freeland as the incumbent.

Chrystia Freeland appeals to both the "professors and plutocrats" demographics in Uni-Rose.

It's interesting to note how both the Annex and Rosedale are more Liberal today than in the Chretien era.  At that time PCs were strong in Rosedale while the NDP did better in the Annex. 
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #1567 on: August 12, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »

The NDP got stomped in Quebec in 2019, but even after that wipeout there was still a small number of ridings that weren't necessarily total lost causes. Are they trying to get the ex-MPs to run again or otherwise looking like they'll make any sort of effort in them, or has the whole province outside of Boulerice's seat been written off for the foreseeable future?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1568 on: August 12, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »

My thoughts on the parties are as follows:

Liberals: Definitely in the driver's seat but still would only take a slight uptick to win a landslide majority of over 200 seats while only a slight drop to struggle to hold the 157 they have (note biggest drop in Tory support is Prairies so Tory vote is probably not as inefficient as was in 2019).  That being said, short of a monumental mess up or one opposition leader really catching in, they should win most seats.  Real question is will it be a majority or minority.  I think majority is narrowly favoured, but wouldn't be shocked if they fall a bit short either. 

Conservatives: Right now in very bad shape and most likely election will be a defensive one.  Pandemic has been devastating for parties on right as moderates who they need to win over tend to support vaccinations, vaccine passports, and public health restrictions, while much of their right flank opposes them so have to look over both shoulders.  Go right and fail to win key swing votes they need.  Go closer to centre and risk PPC or Maverick Party gaining and splitting votes.  Still Tories do tend to outperform polls is one saving grace, but usually only 2-3 points so not nearly enough to get them anywhere near power.  Perhaps one thing that could cheer them up is Harper going into 2006 election had similar numbers, but you also had a 13 year incumbent rocked by major scandal, not 6 year one who people seem okay with thus I think shifts like you saw in 2006 are very unlikely. 

NDP: Singh has very high personal numbers so definitely has potential for NDP surge.  Still repeating 1990 election in Ontario, 2015 in Alberta, 2011 federally, or 2018 in Ontario will be tough.  To make matters worse, NDP vote heavily skews towards millennials who generally don't vote in same numbers as older voters do.  That being said Singh's personal popularity does bode well if Trudeau slips up and more importantly lead amongst millennials suggests long term party has potential to do quite well. 

Bloc Quebecois: Down a bit from last election, but Quebec tends to be quite volatile and usually we don't know which way they will go until about 2 weeks before election so I could see them either gaining or losing seats.

Green Party: With all the infighting, they are pretty much toast.  They will be lucky if they can hold onto a single seat.  Their best option would be immediate leadership change but might be too late.  BQ back in 2017 was in similar crisis and things looked bleak but recovered through leadership change, but Greens lack time for that.

PPC/Maverick Party: I suspect both win 0 seats and underperform.  Most of their rabid supporters hate Trudeau with a passion so when push comes to shove, I expect most to end up voting Conservative in end (although won't be nearly enough for Tories to win).
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1569 on: August 12, 2021, 04:08:49 PM »

My thoughts on the parties are as follows:
Conservatives: Right now in very bad shape and most likely election will be a defensive one.  Pandemic has been devastating for parties on right as moderates who they need to win over tend to support vaccinations, vaccine passports, and public health restrictions, while much of their right flank opposes them so have to look over both shoulders.  Go right and fail to win key swing votes they need.  Go closer to centre and risk PPC or Maverick Party gaining and splitting votes.  Still Tories do tend to outperform polls is one saving grace, but usually only 2-3 points so not nearly enough to get them anywhere near power.  Perhaps one thing that could cheer them up is Harper going into 2006 election had similar numbers, but you also had a 13 year incumbent rocked by major scandal, not 6 year one who people seem okay with thus I think shifts like you saw in 2006 are very unlikely. 

Is their best hope Singh's popularity you mention below splitting the left?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1570 on: August 12, 2021, 04:09:51 PM »

Green Party: With all the infighting, they are pretty much toast.  They will be lucky if they can hold onto a single seat.  Their best option would be immediate leadership change but might be too late.  BQ back in 2017 was in similar crisis and things looked bleak but recovered through leadership change, but Greens lack time for that.
Is May retiring?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1571 on: August 12, 2021, 04:28:14 PM »

Conservative ceiling is lower than a decade ago, thus making it harder to benefit from vote-splitting on their left.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1572 on: August 12, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »

Conservative ceiling is lower than a decade ago, thus making it harder to benefit from vote-splitting on their left.

That is true although if you add PPC + Maverick party only slightly lower, but definitely country has shifted leftward in past decade, in fact shift has been very strong and I don't think any other country has seen as big a shift leftward.  By contrast the movement to right in 80s and 90s was much more gradual.  Part of it too is left through 80s and 90s largely accepted the right wing narrative of balanced budgets, lower taxes and never really challenged it.  In last decade they have challenged it while right has surprisingly not defended it and instead focused on culture wars, which may be a vote winner in some countries, but not in Canada.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1573 on: August 12, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »

I think another big risk for Tories is anti-vaxxer candidates.  Only need a few and could seriously damage them.  After what we've gone through in pandemic, I don't think public is interested in being lectured on freedom with vaccine passports.  Most of us got our vaccines and want our lives back to as normal as possible with some minor restrictions.  Never mind party should look South and see what a mess entertaining this does.  Even many in GOP are now begging their supporters to get vaccinated as worried its killing off their own supporters.
laddicus finch

« Reply #1574 on: August 12, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »

With the Liberals ahead of the Tories in Ontario by 13 points, the NDP would likely end up with few new seats there even with 22% province-wide.

Also, the progressive vote in Ontario has a habit of coalescing around one party. I'd be surprised to see the NDP above 20% here.

The problem I see for the (federal) NDP in Ontario is that they do not do well in immigrant-heavy areas. Immigrant-dominated parts of the GTA largely swung to the Liberals in 2019, except for the Chinese areas, which got more Conservative. Trudeau has the South Asian vote on lock (except some parts of Brampton which go NDP), and the black vote also seems to go strongly Liberal. Black voters seem to go NDP when the Liberals are down, but South Asians can go either NDP or Tory. Chinese-dominant areas give single-digit margins to the NDP, Italians seem to be Blue Grits who don't care for the NDP, Jewish and Eastern European areas will absolutely not vote NDP, and Muslims of all backgrounds tend to go to the default anti-CPC choice, i.e. Liberals (see: Milton). Filipinos seem to be divided by class, but generally, little love for the NDP.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies