Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:06:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 139
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 186914 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2020, 10:01:08 AM »

They don't make them like that anymore. RIP
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2020, 03:10:23 AM »

So Trudeau has a beard all of a sudden. Caught me off guard.

Is Peter MacKay going to be the new Conservative leader?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »

So Trudeau has a beard all of a sudden. Caught me off guard.

Is Peter MacKay going to be the new Conservative leader?

It's going grey too. It's the end of baby face Justin Trudeau.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »

Someone should change the title to reflect the new decade

Anyway, the protests by the Wet'suwet'en are heating up
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »

Why are protests over a pipeline resulting in protesters blockading railway lines?
Is there connection between railway owners and pipeline owners?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »

Why are protests over a pipeline resulting in protesters blockading railway lines?
Is there connection between railway owners and pipeline owners?
They’re trying to get attention to their cause and are hoping that the civil disobedience causes the pipeline to be canceled.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »

Trudeau's wokeness and his stature as a global left-liberal leader continue to be paper-thin.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »

Andrew Scheer says indigenous protestors need to "check their privilege."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/pipeline-protesters-need-to-check-their-privilege-conservative-leader-says-1.4812204

"These protesters, these activists, may have the luxury of spending days at a time at a blockade, but they need to check their privilege, they need to check their privilege and let people whose job depends on the railway system – small business, farmers – do their job," said Scheer.

He said the blockades are "illegal" and should be shut down by law enforcement.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »

The pipeline was approved by all the elected tribal leaders on the path of the pipeline.  The un-elected "hereditary" chiefs are the ones leading the push to make sure the safest way to move one of the cleaner sources of energy is way more expensive than it needs to be and takes longer to get done and harming all Canadians (poor more than the rich too) in the process.  You'd think people would be on the side of the elected leaders and not some random dude who claims his great grandaddy was, but here we are.  You'd think they'd want energy companies to use the safest way to move the energy around too, but people are weird sometimes.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »

The pipeline was approved by all the elected tribal leaders on the path of the pipeline.  The un-elected "hereditary" chiefs are the ones leading the push to make sure the safest way to move one of the cleaner sources of energy is way more expensive than it needs to be and takes longer to get done and harming all Canadians (poor more than the rich too) in the process.  You'd think people would be on the side of the elected leaders and not some random dude who claims his great grandaddy was, but here we are.  You'd think they'd want energy companies to use the safest way to move the energy around too, but people are weird sometimes.
Are the elected leaders disguating corrupt garbage, or do they actually represent the interests of their constituents? I genuinely don't know, but it's a huge question IMO.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

Are the elected leaders disguating corrupt garbage, or do they actually represent the interests of their constituents? I genuinely don't know, but it's a huge question IMO.
I agree and I have no idea.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2020, 10:03:01 PM »

Hopefully the pipeline gets built
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:54 PM »

Lol what do people expect Trudeau to do here? Marc Miller, who's better qualified than Trudeau to deal with this, is currently meeting with the Mohawk protesters. This is why he has a Cabinet.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2020, 06:38:51 AM »

I agree and I have no idea.

Fun fact. Two of the hereditary chiefs involved in the protest actually ran for elected chief and lost to candidates who later agreed to the pipeline. Make of that what you will.

Lol what do people expect Trudeau to do here? Marc Miller, who's better qualified than Trudeau to deal with this, is currently meeting with the Mohawk protesters. This is why he has a Cabinet.

This is more a leadership question than a specific achievement question. The Prime Minister wants to avoid the perception that he's indifferent to indigenous issues on the left and that he's fiddling while Rome burns on the right. Sometimes you just need to be somewhere in person.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »

NL: Ball is quitting upon his successor's election.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2020, 06:00:17 AM »

I've been on vacation and I haven't been following politics too much. How much do people actually care about the protests/blockades? Are the comparisons to the Winter of Discontent accurate, or is it something people will likely forget come the next news cycle?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2020, 09:43:19 AM »

I've been on vacation and I haven't been following politics too much. How much do people actually care about the protests/blockades? Are the comparisons to the Winter of Discontent accurate, or is it something people will likely forget come the next news cycle?

If I had to guess, it's in between. Hard to tell though, and there haven't been any polls released with Feb field work yet Angry
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »

Wild NL news: opposition parties are talking with rebel Grits about a coalition to replace Ball.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2020, 10:00:49 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2020, 06:48:35 AM by DC Al Fine »

My parents' propane dealer is no longer delivering to them as they only use propane as a secondary heat source. Propane is only being delivered to those who use it as their primary heat source.

A Dalhousie Univeristy food industry expert says we're about two weeks away from food shortages, starting in the Maritimes and spreading from there.

The Prime Minister has often expressed his dislike for right wing populism. He would do well to understand that empty grocery stores and shortages of heating fuel (in Canada... in winter) will do more for right wing populism than a hundred Maxime Berniers ever could.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2020, 08:31:07 AM »

The Prime Minister has often expressed his dislike for right wing populism. He would do well to understand that empty grocery stores and shortages of heating fuel (in Canada... in winter) will do more for right wing populism than a hundred Maxime Berniers ever could.
This is my big worry with regards to these blockades. However, I couldn't find any references to shortages in the article you linked.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2020, 08:48:02 PM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2020, 06:49:17 AM »

This is my big worry with regards to these blockades. However, I couldn't find any references to shortages in the article you linked.

D'oh! Linked the wrong article. Fixed
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »

Latest Nanos poll

Tory: 36% (+5)
Liberal: 33% (-1)
NDP: 15% (-2)
Bloc: 7% (-1)
Green: 7% (-2)
People's: 1% (nc)

A good couple weeks for the Tories.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "People's"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies