Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 139
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 186967 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2019, 09:53:35 AM »

Lmao
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2019, 09:59:29 AM »

My reaction when Atlas is silent on this.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »

Can’t speak for “Atlas” but I find this quite disgusting...and pretty hilarious.
urutzizu
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »

There are two other Threads about this where it is being thoroughly discussed. I suggest you look there instead of reaching premature conclusions that confirm your political biases.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »

There are two other Threads about this where it is being thoroughly discussed. I suggest you look there instead of reaching premature conclusions that confirm your political biases.
where?  In an "elections" board?  Many people avoid those cesspools.

Conservative Facebook is having a field day with this.  As is to be expected since it's freaking hilarious.  You know, like when a conservative gay hater gets caught with a dick in his butt.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »

where?  In an "elections" board?  Many people avoid those cesspools.

International Elections is far less of a cesspool than U.S. election boards.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 03:45:14 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2019, 03:50:09 AM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

This election is interesting but frustrating.

There are many Canadians that will NEVER vote Conservative, who also don't like Trudeau's overspending, SNC-Lavelin law breaking and the blackface incidents. Some would vote NDP, but in many ridings the NDP seems to have no chance to win. Will those voters suck it up and vote Liberal? Will they vote NDP or Green anyways to show their support but knowing that their candidate won't win? Will they simply not vote?

It's my.personal opinion that Scheer's Conservatives will win the most seats in parliament, only to become the opposition when the NDP and Greens back the Liberals to form a coalition government. The way Canadian politics is right now, and how the Conservatives seem to be less moderate these days, I don't know tbat the NDP can come to terms with them on a coalition government partnership. I think some of this may have to do with "Trump voter" type Canadians, who are demanding more loudly less centrism and more conservatism from their party.

I myself am an NDP voter who sometimes leans Green, but my riding almost always goes Red or Blue. In low stakes or medium stakes elections, I tend to vote NDP. In high stakes elections, I tend to strategically vote Liberal in an effort to prevent a Conservative victory in my riding. My thoughts at this time are that we CANNOT move forward with the Conservative policies on climate change, so for me this is a high stskes election. I am NOT happy with the Liberal policies on climate change, but they are still much better than the Conservatives by comparison.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »

there is a Canada election 2019  thread on the International election section.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2019, 05:58:10 PM »

Election eve and it's going to be close. I expect the conservatives are being underestimated on here much like Doug Ford was in 2018 and Donald Trump was in 2016.  Political pundits often think too much and get morally outraged  at stuff the general public doesn't give a crap about.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »

A classic case of "expect" actually meaning "hope" there Smiley
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »

No, that's what you and other communists are hoping. I don't  see any last minute liberal surge happening
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2019, 06:03:27 PM »

No, that's what you and other communists are hoping. I don't  see any last minute liberal surge happening

Lolwut Wink

I'm hoping for an NDP surge btw.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »

Lolwut Wink

I'm hoping for an NDP surge btw.

That could happen, and hopefully it takes away votes from the liberals Smiley
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »

Political pundits often think too much and get morally outraged  at stuff the general public doesn't give a crap about.

If this is true, wouldn't it benefit the Liberals by meaning SNC-Lavalin and blackface don't matter?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »

Yeah, if there's a political party this Canadian election trying to brush off scandals with "grow up, nobody really cares about that", it's the Liberals.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »

Political pundits often think too much and get morally outraged  at stuff the general public doesn't give a crap about.

If this is true, wouldn't it benefit the Liberals by meaning SNC-Lavalin and blackface don't matter?

Judging by the election results, this is probably true. Also, when it comes to likeability,  Trudeau has a certain charisma that Scheer lacks. He seems a bit smarmy, almost Ted Cruz like. I can't put my finger on it. It makes me wonder how well Mad Max would have done if he got the nomination.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2019, 09:39:13 PM »

Am I wrong in saying that the Bloc is the real winner tonight?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »

The Bloc did have a great result but the Liberals did well enough that they only need the NDP to prop them up it seems. If the Liberals got like 20 less seats it would be an even better result for the Bloc.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2019, 11:37:13 PM »

The Bloc did have a great result but the Liberals did well enough that they only need the NDP to prop them up it seems. If the Liberals got like 20 less seats it would be an even better result for the Bloc.
True. The more I watch the results, I find it interesting that no party, aside from maybe the Bloc, came out the winner.

The Liberals lost their majority. The Tories barely gained any ground at all, and Scheer doesn't strike me as a viable leader heading into the future. The NDP basically failed to make any impact at all. The Greens tripled their seats but failed to really break through anywhere, even in Victoria apparently. The People's Party (and Maxime Bernier) is over. Only the Bloc seems to have made any real gains, and they still won't have the impact needed in parliament for the reasons you've noted.

I've never seen an election in which everyone comes out the loser, but here we are!
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2019, 01:35:50 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2019, 01:41:17 AM by SomethingPolitical »

I wasn't expecting this result - I had assumed after the blackface scandal that Trudeau was finished and that Scheer would end up being Prime Minister. The Liberals won the most seats, but lost the popular vote.

I've noticed something - right now, the U.S., Canada and UK have leaders who either lost the popular vote in their most recent election (Trump, Trudeau), or never won a (general) election in the first place (Johnson).

All three also faced big scandals that normally would have sunk any candidate shortly before their election. Trump with the Access Hollywood tape in the weeks before the 2016 election, Trudeau with the blackface scandal last month, Johnson with domestic violence allegations in the run up to the Conservative leadership election.

If this trend continues, it might mean whoever wins in 2020 will have the biggest scandal news story in the weeks preceding the election. That would bode well for Trump despite his dismal polling right now - but I still don't think he'll be re-elected.

Edit: A year
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »

True. The more I watch the results, I find it interesting that no party, aside from maybe the Bloc, came out the winner.

The Liberals lost their majority. The Tories barely gained any ground at all, and Scheer doesn't strike me as a viable leader heading into the future. The NDP basically failed to make any impact at all. The Greens tripled their seats but failed to really break through anywhere, even in Victoria apparently. The People's Party (and Maxime Bernier) is over. Only the Bloc seems to have made any real gains, and they still won't have the impact needed in parliament for the reasons you've noted.

I've never seen an election in which everyone comes out the loser, but here we are!

Agreed with what you said on Scheer. The problem is it really doesn't seem like the CPC has much of a bench at all (Scheer only became party leader because he was basically everyone's second choice and none of the first choices could rally enough support to win). I honestly have the feeling the CPC will be in trouble soon.

How did the liberals survive in the first place? And why did the block make gains here?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2019, 09:17:29 PM »

yes cause they don't get to back a anything.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »

It’s even worse than this – the fact that the Liberals overperformed in 2015 meant that this election was always going to be a reversion to the mean, of sorts, and in such an environment they have been basically confined to Ontario/Québec/Atlantic Canada and shut out of the Prairies. The Greens massively underperformed expectations aside from picking up *one* seat on top of the earlier by-election, and the NDP has been reduced to the fourth-largest party in Parliament after their losses in Québec and elsewhere. The Conservatives, as you pointed out, have a serious leadership problem that is also hurting their chances of winning as long as the BQ continues to the main threat to Liberals in Québec. The BQ made huge numerical gains but still won’t have any real lawmaking clout aside from their sound and fury about Québecois priorities that signify nothing legislatively speaking. There will be a huge urban-rural divide to deal with in the next few years.

On the other hand, the *real* winner is obviously Jody Wilson-Raybould. </s>
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »

Guess we can start posting here again now that the election is over.

Scheer survived the first opportunity to replace him with caucus voting against giving themselves the ability to initiate a leadership review. On to the big challenge in April.

Also, May has resigned as Green Party leader. Any ideas on who could replace her besides the other two MP's in her caucus?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »

Globe says Caroline Mulroney and Michael Fortier might be interested in replacing Scheer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies