KY Gov. Bevin exposed his 9 kids to chickenpox rather than vaccinate them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:01:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  KY Gov. Bevin exposed his 9 kids to chickenpox rather than vaccinate them
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KY Gov. Bevin exposed his 9 kids to chickenpox rather than vaccinate them  (Read 1364 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/20/matt-bevin-exposed-kids-chickenpox-instead-vaccine/3221848002/

*bonks head on desk*
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:03:09 PM »

Joke state with joke governor.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »

That clown managed to reproduce 9 times?

Lawd Jesus.... Idiocracy was all true
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »

He just went up a couple points in the polls for this, didn't he?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:46:14 PM »

Did you people misread chickenpox as smallpox?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »

Did you people misread chickenpox as smallpox?

Of course not; that's a really idiotic thing to say.  In case you're unaware of this, chickenpox is not just a mild annoyance like the common cold.  It can lead to complications including death, even in healthy children.  Does this happen a lot?  No, the risk is low.  But it's MUCH HIGHER than the risks of any side effects from the vaccine, which are quite rare and generally mild.  Choosing to get the disease when there's a safe and effective vaccine is rank stupidity, and I would go so far as to call it child endangerment.

In the olden days, like my childhood, when there was no vaccine, it may have made some sense to expose kids to get the disease over with while they're young, since it's usually more serious in adults.  That's at least a somewhat defensible balancing of risks, although personally I don't recall ever hearing of "chickenpox parties".  Like most of my peers, I just got the disease when it was going around.  It was a very miserable time.

I generally hate to play the age card in discussions, but recent generations simply do not have a first-hand understanding of childhood diseases.  They were NOT a walk in the park.  People got seriously ill, and some were permanently affected.  I had a school friend develop encephalitis as a complication from measles.  He was left mostly deaf and intellectually impaired.  There was no measles vaccine then.

I have ZERO tolerance for anti-vaxxers.  Frankly, they're all idiots (and if any anti-vaxxers are reading this, yes I do mean you personally).
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »

Like most of my peers, I just got the disease when it was going around.  It was a very miserable time.

So is this where it comes from? Liberals’ low pain tolerance?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »

Like most of my peers, I just got the disease when it was going around.  It was a very miserable time.

Why exactly should children needlessly suffer like this? Saying stuff like it causes autism or denigrating them to the guardian’s property isn’t an argument by the way.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »

(For the record, I'm not particularly liberal.) 

No, it's based on long-standing medical history and research.  Why don't you try doing a little research of your own from expert sources like the CDC?  Is it too much work, or do you just inherently value it less than your own opinions? 

Serious complications from chickenpox include:

Bacterial infections of the skin and soft tissues in children, including Group A streptococcal infections
Infection of the lungs (pneumonia)
Infection or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis, cerebellar ataxia)
Bleeding problems (hemorrhagic complications)
Bloodstream infections (sepsis)
Dehydration

Some people with serious complications from chickenpox can become so sick that they need to be hospitalized. Chickenpox can also cause death.

Deaths are very rare now due to the vaccine program. However, some deaths from chickenpox continue to occur in healthy, unvaccinated children and adults. In the past, many of the healthy adults who died from chickenpox contracted the disease from their unvaccinated children.

https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/complications.html
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »

Why don't you try doing a little research of your own from expert sources like the CDC?  Is it too much work, or do you just inherently value it less than your own opinions?

No, I’m just extremely skeptical of the pro-vaccination meme that’s been everywhere over the past year or so. It makes me wonder what the elites are going to start putting in vaccines after they make them mandatory.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »

Why don't you try doing a little research of your own from expert sources like the CDC?  Is it too much work, or do you just inherently value it less than your own opinions?

No, I’m just extremely skeptical of the pro-vaccination meme that’s been everywhere over the past year or so. It makes me wonder what the elites are going to start putting in vaccines after they make them mandatory.

*plonk*
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »

It's chemicals that'll turn the frogs gay.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »

People dying early or getting sick won’t be good wagecucks, in fact they’ll make the Bougies lose money. The Reptilians have known this for quite some time.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »

RIP Mopsus
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 09:58:56 PM »

Their Democratic governor was really good, had the best state health insurance exchange from ObamaCare/ACA until this guy got rid of it.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »

Allowing your children to contract infectious diseases to own the libs
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 10:13:48 PM »

When they get shingles in their adulthood they will be very thankful to him. /S

Seriously, shingles is awful and if you've had the chickenpox you can get shingles by being exposed to the virus. The chickenpox vaccine isn't so much for chickenpox as it is shingles. Several of my relatives have had it and even those who have given birth say shingles is worse. And in the elderly, it can kill.

Chickenpox and shingles may not be the virulent murderers that polio and diptheria were, but it's still no joke, either.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »

Allowing your children to contract infectious diseases to own the libs

Survival of the fittest
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »

Isn't purposely making your children ill some kind of child abuse?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »

You doughnut. They're mandatory over here and people aren't showing more signs of autism.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 01:58:58 AM »

Obvious troll is obvious.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 04:59:26 AM »

That clown managed to reproduce 9 times?

Lawd Jesus.... Idiocracy was all true

Some of them are adopted.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »

I had chicken pox as a baby. Much better than as an adult. Thanks mom.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 06:31:56 AM »

I had chicken pox as a baby. Much better than as an adult. Thanks mom.

And being vaccinated is better than having it at any age.

You probably got it before 1995 when the vaccine was released (as did I.) Bevin's children however did not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies