Disney adds Fox assets to its brand, could be a major detriment to Entertainment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:35:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Disney adds Fox assets to its brand, could be a major detriment to Entertainment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Disney adds Fox assets to its brand, could be a major detriment to Entertainment  (Read 206 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/20/a-monopolistic-blob-what-the-disneyfox-merger-means-for-cinema
The mouse just ate the fox – and created a monster. Or rather, an even bigger monster than the two separate ones already in existence. The Walt Disney Company’s $71.3bn takeover of most of 20th Century Fox is a gigantic deal, the business equivalent of a sex scene between Alien and Predator – and Fox’s Alien and Predator products are included in the purchase, along with James Cameron’s Avatar franchise and many other lucrative properties. It is estimated that the merger gives Disney control of 40% of all theatrical box office and puts it in a position to take on the digital streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon and Apple. (Incidentally, the deal includes a commitment to offer to buy 100% of Britain’s Sky TV.)

It’s an almost cartoon-like demonstration of alpha-capitalism: diversity and differentness mushed together into a great big monopolistic blob. With each acquisition, the stakes get higher, as do the profit-opportunities – and, I predict, the numbers of ass-covering executives who will feel less and less inclined to take risky chances on new and different types of film from new and different types of film-maker.
We need stronger antitrust laws to prevent and reverse this decision. Our entertainment sector would be dealt a huge blow from such grand acquisitions snuffing out smaller and independent labels.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »

The good news is that Star Wars I-VI are reunited with the rest of the Star Wars intellectual property.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »

The good news is that Star Wars I-VI are reunited with the rest of the Star Wars intellectual property.

What Star Wars IP did Fox have?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »

A New Hope.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »

A New Hope.
So they’re going to butcher the canon-great, just great.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »

A New Hope.

So they’re going to butcher the canon-great, just great.

OR...they could release the original cuts of the original trilogy in HD and rack in the cash.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:51:22 PM »

They had A New Hope indefinitely and they had Empire, Jedi, and the prequels until some point in 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies