I'm voting Conservative...but don't for ONE second think I like Bush!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:01:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I'm voting Conservative...but don't for ONE second think I like Bush!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I'm voting Conservative...but don't for ONE second think I like Bush!  (Read 3941 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2004, 06:25:03 AM »

Despite being a Labour supporter, im switching my allegiance to the Conservatives in the Euro election in June. Whether it becomes a permenant thing in the run up to the General Election in 2005/06 depends. I see myself as a centrist, so I'm not to bothered by the change....HOWEVER...I still despise George Bush and root for John Kerry in the US presidential elections. If you understand British politics, you'll understand its not an anomaly or a contradiction in terms. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 06:26:25 AM »

OK. Smiley

I would vote conservative in the UK too, based on my stands on European issues.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 07:09:51 AM »

I'd vote Lib Dem, but that me, upper middle class white leftwinger Smiley

I can understand wanting to go against Blair though. I like him, but not verything he does.

Plus I don't have to live under him 24/7.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 09:24:36 AM »

i equate the european dislike of bush to the black dislike of republicans/bush.

it's the *thing* to do.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 09:29:14 AM »

it's the *thing* to do.  

Um...are you implying that it has to do with some sort of trendy thing?

Blacks vote Democrat b/c southern whites vote Republican, at least that's largely my theory. Europeans don't support Bush b/c they don't like him. Mostly.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 09:57:08 AM »

it is a trendy to thing to do.  as far as blacks go, any blacks that buck the democratic party are immediately labled 'uncle toms'

in no way do i believe that 90% of blacks are liberal democrats, yet they vote that way.

look at shcroeder in germany.  him and his crew have stirred the pot of anti-bush and anti-american feeling in germany.  it deflects attention from the double digit unemployment, the crumbling of the welfare state, and the stagerrring socio-economic divide between western and eastern germany.  

there is an article in the ny times today about the euros dislike of bush.  apparently some polls were conducted and 85% of germans dislike bush.

im still waiting patiently for a pollster to call me and ask about my feelings of schroeder.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 10:32:51 AM »

I can understand wanting to go against Blair though. I like him, but not verything he does.

Birds of a feather you and i. Smiley
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 10:41:03 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2004, 10:41:18 AM by lidaker »

OK. Smiley

Wasn't it you who said Swedish conservatives are too elitist for your taste? Then what about the British ones? Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 11:00:58 AM »

The demographic profile of the average urban LibDem voter... the people that vote for Kennedy, Opik or Beith are very different...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 11:15:57 AM »

it's the *thing* to do.  

Blacks vote Democrat b/c southern whites vote Republican, at least that's largely my theory. Europeans don't support Bush b/c they don't like him. Mostly.

Blacks vote democrat because in the late '40s they were coerced by Southern White Democrats into their party with gifts of money and threatened to cut them off if they didn't ditch the GOP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 11:35:33 AM »

it's the *thing* to do.  

Blacks vote democrat because in the late '40s they were coerced by Southern White Democrats into their party with gifts of money and threatened to cut them off if they didn't ditch the GOP.

'30's actually... though the GOP got it's own back with Goldie et al...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 11:39:34 AM »

Al, love the quote. Though that may be the case Republicans had far greater support for the civil rights act then Democrats did. As I've said before, racism knows no party but the Democrats are where the most vile form of racism resided in the late 19th/20th Century.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 11:43:58 AM »

Al, love the quote. Though that may be the case Republicans had far greater support for the civil rights act then Democrats did. As I've said before, racism knows no party but the Democrats are where the most vile form of racism resided in the late 19th/20th Century.

Racism knows no party... this is true. However cynicism knows both parties...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 11:46:32 AM »

Racism knows no party... this is true. However cynicism knows both parties...

Touché!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 12:27:53 PM »

OK. Smiley

Wasn't it you who said Swedish conservatives are too elitist for your taste? Then what about the British ones? Wink

British elitists have a lot more class... Wink

Also, they're closer to me on Europe...the Swedish conservatives are my opposite on that.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 01:48:03 PM »

Birds of a feather you and i. Smiley

Let's make it 3!

*tweet*

((even though I don't know British politics very well, but I'm an upper middle class white leftwinger Smiley))
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 03:00:23 PM »

I think the number was 51% of UK conservatives are rooting for Kerry.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 04:29:12 PM »

Its 56%. Probably nearer 65% if you take into account recent events. For Labour voters its about 80% I'd think.  Most UK conservatives in the UK would be either Liberal Republicans or Conservative Democrats in the US. Being a centrist, I only back parties that don't stray to far right or left. Voting Labour in the 80's or the Conservatives in the 90's would have been unthinkable for me. At the moment, I think the Labour government has stagnated, as has Blair. If he stands down for Brown, Labour will get my bote no bother. If he doesn't stand down, and remains in the same position he is in now, I will probably vote Conservative with a heavy heart.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 05:46:31 PM »

It doesnt matter if 105% didn't like Bush. Over 95% of those who don't like Bush have never even been to the US or know anything about its politics. Reading the press demean Bush doesn't really give you much insight into what is actually going on.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 05:37:27 PM »

When 56% of CONSERVATIVES in the UK, the party nay the country that created the entire economic and social philosophy of conservatism, want to see Kerry as President, not Bush- you should be worried!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 07:49:32 PM »

I don't really care about what Timbuktu things of Bush. I am more worried what goes on inside these 50 states. The world doesn't vote for the President. We do.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 10:44:45 PM »

It doesnt matter if 105% didn't like Bush. Over 95% of those who don't like Bush have never even been to the US or know anything about its politics. Reading the press demean Bush doesn't really give you much insight into what is actually going on.

Would you be willing to say the same thing for Chirac?  I doubt most of the people who hate Chirac with a passion have been to France or know anything about its politics.  etc. etc.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2004, 10:46:28 PM »

Would you be willing to say the same thing for Chirac?  I doubt most of the people who hate Chirac with a passion have been to France or know anything about its politics.  etc. etc.

I know little to nothing about Chirac or French politics. That's why I say very little about it. I disagree with them not coming to our side and I now know why of course (laundering money to Saddam). But I can't say I hate Chirac.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 11:40:33 PM »

Ok, I was just curious.  That's a good answer.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 07:15:42 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2004, 07:18:26 AM by Michael Z »

Despite being a Labour supporter, im switching my allegiance to the Conservatives in the Euro election in June. Whether it becomes a permenant thing in the run up to the General Election in 2005/06 depends. I see myself as a centrist, so I'm not to bothered by the change....HOWEVER...I still despise George Bush and root for John Kerry in the US presidential elections. If you understand British politics, you'll understand its not an anomaly or a contradiction in terms. Smiley

Hey, who you vote for is cool by me. Of course I could NEVER vote Conservative, but then I'm a crazy tree-hugging hippie commie liberal. Wink

At any rate, I'm not voting Labour at the Euro elections either. I'll probably vote Green or Lib Dem in protest, because I'm still p!ssed off over Iraq and tuition fees, or rather the autocratic manner in which Blair and some members of his cabinet handled these issues... As for the London elections, I'll probably vote Livingstone again.

I don't think it's a contradiction to say that, as a conservative, you are against Bush. Many people in this part of the world feel alienated by his Hobbesian worldview and puritanical beliefs. Still, you won't find me going "Go Kerry!" or anything like that in this board (even though I do want Kerry to win), I have a feeling some Americans may feel offended by non-citizens like me getting too personally involved in their election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies