Am I a Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:36:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Am I a Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Am I a Democrat?  (Read 3280 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2004, 03:22:35 AM »

Well, my fantasy race against StevenNick and the reaction of Republicans in the primary has really opened my eyes.  I wonder if maybe my overwhelming desire to kill terrorists has blinded me to fact that I'm actually a Democrat.  Is this an overreaction, or a revelation?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 03:57:22 AM »

Well, my fantasy race against StevenNick and the reaction of Republicans in the primary has really opened my eyes.  I wonder if maybe my overwhelming desire to kill terrorists has blinded me to fact that I'm actually a Democrat.  Is this an overreaction, or a revelation?

where's the simple and plain NO option?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 05:48:54 AM »

I think you're a moderate who would fit in well with the UAC. Smiley

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 07:12:46 AM »

the most basic question:

What is more important-Your own personal freedoms and liberties, or everyones?

That might sound like a biased question, and it probably is. But that is the most neutral way I can express the difference.

Is it better that you are 100% secure or everyone is 50% secure is the reverse of that bias.

Can anyone find a midpoint?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 09:43:29 AM »

Ford a democrat? Yea right. Just because you lost to Steven doesn't mean your a democrat. Your one of the biggest partisan Republican on this board.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »

Nah you're not a Democrat... But you are more of a John McCain Republican.

Ford a democrat? Yea right. Just because you lost to Steven doesn't mean your a democrat. Your one of the biggest partisan Republican on this board.

See Ford! This if proof that you're not a democrat!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 10:58:14 AM »

i hear the UAC is recruiting. Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 11:12:53 AM »

You are a liberal, I don't know about Democrat.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 12:00:40 PM »

yes, would you like to join texasgurl?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »

Heh...no he isn't.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »

Ford, what is your position on abortion? gay marriage? Afirmative action? Who are you or would like to vote for in the 2004 election? What is the color of your avator? Come on Ford, you are NOT a democrat. I never have heard you say anything liberal. Liberal is NOT a bad thing and I am a damn proud Liberal! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

Ford, what is your position on abortion? gay marriage? Afirmative action? Who are you or would like to vote for in the 2004 election? What is the color of your avator? Come on Ford, you are NOT a democrat. I never have heard you say anything liberal. Liberal is NOT a bad thing and I am a damn proud Liberal! Smiley

He isn't a liberal, but he also isn't one of the most partisan Republicans on the board. There is something in between...
ShapeShifter

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 12:56:28 PM »

He isn't a liberal, but he also isn't one of the most partisan Republicans on the board. There is something in between...

I disagree.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 01:00:29 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2004, 01:02:43 PM by lidaker »

Jag ser att du har blivit svensk, ShapeShifter. Trevligt. Vi kan behöva lite påfyllnad i detta avlånga och glest befolkade land. Eller vad säger du, Gustaf?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 01:19:25 PM »

Jag ser att du har blivit svensk, ShapeShifter. Trevligt. Vi kan behöva lite påfyllnad i detta avlånga och glest befolkade land. Eller vad säger du, Gustaf?

Shapeshifter isn't Swedish, he just has a Swedish avatar.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 01:36:47 PM »

Really? What? It says he's Swedish, but you mean he isn't? FRAUD!

Smiley
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 03:45:55 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2004, 03:52:33 PM by John D. Ford »

I didn't lose.  It was a a tie in all 3 regions.  My strength is in the West region which votes in a week, so I basically had it locked up until I quit the fantasy party this afternoon.  As for partisanship, I am perfectly willing to call Bush on his mistakes, and I am one of the first on this board to call for Rumsfeld to resign over the Abu Gharib scandal.  The problem has typically been that your atatcks on Bush have been partisan, dishonest, and unjustifiable.  I defend Kerry from cheap attacks on his post Vietnam protesting, and I defend Bush against attacks that are unfounded.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 03:49:26 PM »

Well, lets see.  I am against abortion, but the extreme punishments advocated by people who make up the base of the GOP bothers me.  I am opposed to gay marriage, but open to Civil Unions depending on how they are structured.  I am for affirmative action, but it should be income based rather than race based.  I intend to vote fo Bush, mostly on issues of foreign policy.  Like I said, I am right wing on foreign policy, and at the moment that is the #1 issue to me, but that is not the basis for a long term political allegiance.  My avatar is blue, but as this poll would suggest, that may be mistaken.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »

I princip ja, men vi vill inte ha honom...amerikanerna kan gott behålla honom. Wink
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2004, 06:59:51 AM »

You're young. Many young people are very conservative because of their nationalitic views. I personally was far right-winger (but NOT racist) on this issue at age 15-18. I wanted take back of Karelia, Finnish province which Soviet conquered in the WWII. (Seems very unrealistic nowadays)

It's possible that you will "grow up" and become more liberal, but not necessarily. Most people become more conservative when they get older.  
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 06:29:25 PM »

You're young. Many young people are very conservative because of their nationalitic views. I personally was far right-winger (but NOT racist) on this issue at age 15-18. I wanted take back of Karelia, Finnish province which Soviet conquered in the WWII. (Seems very unrealistic nowadays)

It's possible that you will "grow up" and become more liberal, but not necessarily. Most people become more conservative when they get older.  

In America, I notice the young tend to go the opposite way.  Most young folks I know are liberal on foreign policy more than anthing else.  Also, most are liberal on social issues.  They are conservative on economics though, in my estimation.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 02:21:01 AM »

I'll admit I was more conservative(populist) 6 years ago when I was 18.  I was more against abortion, thought drugs were the fault of the ghetto, and thought welfare was just plain wrong.  Now I think there are worse things in life.  I registered as an Independent in 1998, but went Democrat in 2002 because I began to distrust Bush and of course to vote for Rendell in the primaries.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2004, 08:14:32 AM »

I'll admit I was more conservative(populist) 6 years ago when I was 18.  I was more against abortion, thought drugs were the fault of the ghetto, and thought welfare was just plain wrong.  Now I think there are worse things in life.  I registered as an Independent in 1998, but went Democrat in 2002 because I began to distrust Bush and of course to vote for Rendell in the primaries.

Who did you vote for in 2000?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2004, 01:01:04 PM »

I was away at school in 2000 so I didn't bother to ask for an absentee ballot.  I didn't like either candidate becuase I thought Bush was an idiot and Gore really didn't inspire me especially picking Lieberman.  I can assure you it will be Kerry and Hoeffel this time around.  I'm even thinking about working for the person who is running against Santorum in '06 b/c I think he's such a prick!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 01:07:46 PM »

In 2000, I thought Bush was an idiot and Gore didn't inspire me so I didn't vote.  I was also away at college so I didn't ask for an absentee ballot.  I can assure you it will be Kerry and Hoeffel this time around.  In 2000, I also had some remnants of Catholic school and living in a fringe white neighborhood brainwashing which going to college and seeing the big picture made me realize I am a Democrat.  Have you ever seen Bronx Tale?  It's kinda like that.  I had racist neighbors that would vote Republican even though they were in a union.  Catholic school also drilled pro-life propaganda.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies