How Congress Can Limit the Emergency Declaration Powers of the President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:49:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How Congress Can Limit the Emergency Declaration Powers of the President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Congress Can Limit the Emergency Declaration Powers of the President  (Read 480 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »

And by that, I don't just mean Trump -for all future presidents, but starting with him.  

The Lawfare blog suggested last month that Congress should include automatic sunset provisions, for instance demanding that after three months, the President should come to them asking for an extension of the emergency in question.  It would definitely be a vast improvement on what's happening now.  

What are your suggestions in limiting the President's emergency declaration powers?  
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:47:57 AM »

We could start by not making a resolution to overturn an emergency require signature so the president can't veto. There's an obvious imbalance of powers favoring the executive in this situation. Sunset provision doesn't seem like a bad idea either.

I'd be wary of a law only allowing certain specific things in an emergency though, since we never know what might come up.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »

Why doesn't anybody here have any problems with the emergency declarations made by Obama and Bill Clinton?
Because they didn't try to fund a wall?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »

We could start by not making a resolution to overturn an emergency require signature so the president can't veto. There's an obvious imbalance of powers favoring the executive in this situation. Sunset provision doesn't seem like a bad idea either.

I'd be wary of a law only allowing certain specific things in an emergency though, since we never know what might come up.

It used to be easier for Congress to undo an emergency declaration, but SCOTUS ruled some years ago that the presentment clause required treating this way.

My suggestion is some variation of sunsetting. Say one week (or one week after Congress is called back into session if it is out of session - HAH!)  and then it requires explicit Congressional approval to continue past then. That certainly is enough time for real emergencies, but I'm not certain it solves the problem with the presentment clause.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »

Only when there is an imminent threat, like in the case of Mexico, just a refugee crisis isn't enough, should an emergency declaration be made in a boarder crisis or a gun emergency declaration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies