UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:35:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May  (Read 65274 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: June 21, 2019, 11:42:10 AM »

Anyway. Mark Field. Yikes.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #826 on: June 21, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »

More alarming than what he did, is all the right wingers backing him all guns blazing.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #827 on: June 22, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »

Big if true. I guess indyref 2 will not happen in Scotland but rather in Wales? Lol

Also, I guess this is good news for Plaid. When is the next Welsh devolved election coming?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #828 on: June 22, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »

More alarming than what he did, is all the right wingers backing him all guns blazing.

Some of the stuff today on Johnson is even worse.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #829 on: June 22, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »

As are some of the defences.

Still, unearthing old Allison Pearson tweets is proving an amusing pastime.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #830 on: June 23, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »

Big if true. I guess indyref 2 will not happen in Scotland but rather in Wales? Lol

Also, I guess this is good news for Plaid. When is the next Welsh devolved election coming?

I thought Wales was the strongest area for Brexit...
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #831 on: June 23, 2019, 08:12:52 PM »

Nah; behind large chunks of England.  I imagine that this is a Brexit motivated change that is temporary although who knows: especially if things go downhill in the long run.  Certainly good news for Plaid if they can manage to utilise it to their advantage.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #832 on: June 25, 2019, 04:46:23 PM »

Not seen the full survey, but 'excludes 29% who did not answer' is, for the record, a pretty huge red flag for what is technically a serious constitutional question.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #833 on: June 25, 2019, 07:11:41 PM »

Doesn't English independence poll somewhere in the 30s?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #834 on: June 26, 2019, 06:14:10 AM »

All Labour MPs have been asked to signal their intention to stand again (or not.) Jim Fitzpatrick (Poplar and Limehouse) and Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley) have already announced their intention to stand down.

Some MPs are at risk of being deselected. Kate Hoey, Roger Godsiff and Virendra Sharma look the most likely (Hoey for voting with the government on Brexit, Godsiff for his Anderton Park incident, Sharma for being a bad MP,) but Peter Kyle, Angela Eagle, Alison McGovern, Kerry McCarthy, Catherine McKinnell, Darren Jones, Neil Coyle, Wes Streeting, Barry Sheerman, Vicky Foxcroft, Louise Ellman (likely standing down anyway), Anna Turley, Helen Goodman, Shabana Mahmood, Liam Byrne (also likely to stand down), Liz Kendall, Paul Williams and Jo Platt are also potential candidates, although of course some of these are far less likely. Some of the likeliest candidates for this left to join CHUK/TIG (Joan Ryan and Gavin Shuker.)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #835 on: June 26, 2019, 06:33:19 AM »

Chris Leslie was also a dead cert for deselection.

(not least because he hardly ever visited his constituency, according to at least some accounts)

Some of those you list are actually pretty safe barring a total meltdown of non-Corbynism in the party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #836 on: June 26, 2019, 06:55:32 AM »

The reality is that selection issues are mostly about ambitions and egos - everything else simply provides a pretext. So the critical issue in most cases would be whether there are serious contenders lurking around who fancy their chances.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #837 on: June 26, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »

Chris Leslie was also a dead cert for deselection.

(not least because he hardly ever visited his constituency, according to at least some accounts)

Some of those you list are actually pretty safe barring a total meltdown of non-Corbynism in the party.

It wasn't a list of people who were likely to be deselected, moreso those who could face selection battles. Most of them would win.

Chris Leslie was understandable since I don't think local members ever warmed to him that much - he was parachuted after losing Shipley anyway.

The reality is that selection issues are mostly about ambitions and egos - everything else simply provides a pretext. So the critical issue in most cases would be whether there are serious contenders lurking around who fancy their chances.

Exactly. There are rumours of battles for MPs like Foxcroft because it's possible someone credible could challenge her. Likewise, Virendra Sharma will face a selection battle because therei s bound to be someone more interested in actually representing the people of Southall than he is.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #838 on: June 26, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »

What a terrible, terrible party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48778129
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #839 on: June 26, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »

I agree, not great - looks like a shabby little deal brokered by that most principled of politicians, Keith Vaz. At the very least Williamson should have had to show contrition a la Naz Shah to be let back in.

But the fact that so many - including loads on the Labour and normally pro-Corbyn left - have reacted as they have to this news shows the essential falseness of your claim.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #840 on: June 26, 2019, 02:08:57 PM »

The arrogance is extraordinary. Beyond that there's not much worth saying.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #841 on: June 26, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »

The arrogance is extraordinary. Beyond that there's not much worth saying.

Don't know if arrogance is quite the right word here........insouciance may be a better one.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #842 on: June 27, 2019, 03:04:51 AM »

I agree, not great - looks like a shabby little deal brokered by that most principled of politicians, Keith Vaz. At the very least Williamson should have had to show contrition a la Naz Shah to be let back in.

But the fact that so many - including loads on the Labour and normally pro-Corbyn left - have reacted as they have to this news shows the essential falseness of your claim.

I wouldn't go as far as DaWN, but decisions like this one do suggest the cultists (as opposed to the wider left) are essentially in control.  And what I've heard from people who have been involved with the Labour Party locally fits with that, I'm afraid.

We will see what happens with the deselections.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #843 on: June 27, 2019, 06:26:21 AM »

There is a big difference between Chris Williamson and the #GTTO cultists on social media like Rachel Swindon than people with similar beliefs to Corbyn like Naz Shah, who made an effort to reevaluate her stance. That's why this is a terrible decision.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #844 on: June 27, 2019, 06:30:29 AM »

Yep, a mere slap on the wrist isn't enough here. Can Labour not fine its MPs?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #845 on: June 27, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »

As much as anything, the number of, um, unforced errors that Labour manage to make is impressive
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #846 on: June 27, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »

Corbyn has been doing that since he was elected leader.

Anyway, quite a few Labour MPs are not happy with this decision:

Open letter to Corbyn calling for Williamson to lose the whip
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #847 on: June 27, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

I wouldn't go as far as DaWN, but decisions like this one do suggest the cultists (as opposed to the wider left) are essentially in control.  And what I've heard from people who have been involved with the Labour Party locally fits with that, I'm afraid.

We will see what happens with the deselections.

So who are the "cultists", exactly?

As the reporting of this has now made clear, had Williamson's case been judged by the people who were originally meant to have considered it there would almost certainly not have been the same decision. One of the replacements who decided to let him back in was Keith Vaz, who whatever else he is (and "an unprincipled charlatan on the BoJo level" would certainly not be unfair there) wouldn't meet most people's description of a "cultist".

Increasingly this looks like cock up rather than nefarious triumphalist conspiracy.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #848 on: June 27, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »

One of the replacements on the plan made clear her opposition to the EHRC investigation of Labour.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #849 on: June 27, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »

I would argue that is a legitimate position, even if you don't agree with it.

(as is not agreeing with the IHRA definitions of AS, something Lisa Forbes was slagged off for)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies