AOC blasts FDR, Reagan for racist policies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:32:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC blasts FDR, Reagan for racist policies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: AOC blasts FDR, Reagan for racist policies  (Read 3061 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »

I actually agree with her here. This is why unlike a lot of Democrats, I don't consider FDR one of the best presidents. I can't excuse locking up Japanese civilians.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »

I actually agree with her here. This is why unlike a lot of Democrats, I don't consider FDR one of the best presidents. I can't excuse locking up Japanese civilians.

I agree. This should immediately come to mind when one thinks of race-based Roosevelt policies; why it didn't for Ocasio-Cortez, I can't say.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »

Regardless of whether or not you agree with this and/or the Obama statement having AOC say these things is great. It's important for people within a movement to constantly challenge orthodoxy and look for improvement. The Republican party hasn't done this in any critical or meaningful way in decades and is suffering from ideological and intellectual rot right now.

I was neutral on AOC when she beat Crowley in the primary but she's grown on me so much since being sworn in.
James Monroe

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »

Hope that AOC remembers Roosevelt legacy to this very great nation. There's no Democratic Party today without the Roosevelt.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »

Hope that AOC remembers Roosevelt legacy to this very great nation. There's no Democratic Party today without the Roosevelt.

Well to be perfectly hnest, the Japanese-American internment is one of the bigger What The Hell, Hero? moments I can think of.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 11:23:58 PM »

Well to be perfectly hnest, the Japanese-American internment is one of the bigger What The Hell, Hero? moments I can think of.

The Aleutian internment was also terrible.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/us-forcibly-detained-native-alaskans-during-world-war-ii-180962239/
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 11:39:49 PM »

The Aleutian internment was also terrible.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/us-forcibly-detained-native-alaskans-during-world-war-ii-180962239/
Wow. This is news to me. This is possibly even more unethical than the Japanese internment, both being really really really bad of course.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2019, 04:45:15 AM »

Tear down the FDR statues.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2019, 06:32:47 AM »

What the hell? Comparing Nancy Pelosi’s “bad” (being old and moderate) to FDR’s bad (locking American citizens in concentration camps due to war hysteria) is absolutely ludicrous.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2019, 10:39:17 AM »

Japanese internment was absolutely a defensible measure. The fact that history has shown it was probably unnecessary is irrelevant.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »

What the hell? Comparing Nancy Pelosi’s “bad” (being old and moderate) to FDR’s bad (locking American citizens in concentration camps due to war hysteria) is absolutely ludicrous.

I fail to see where the tweet compared what Roosevelt did and what Pelosi did.  All it said is that 'no politician is perfect and that no politician should be regarded as some 'all knowing Jedi.'"

There is no question that there are Pelosi cultists who regard her as some unique political genius as there are Trump cultists.  

Again, in no way is that a comparison of Trump and Pelosi.

These "how dare you compare these?" complaints have gotten mindless.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies