AOC blasts FDR, Reagan for racist policies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC blasts FDR, Reagan for racist policies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: AOC blasts FDR, Reagan for racist policies  (Read 3023 times)
Boobs
HCP
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 10:37:12 PM »

Even Dems think FDR is bad, he is so overrated

Maybe AOC should have lived under Carter's incompetence or Mondale's immense tax increases, then maybe she would know what to support and what not to

wow, a traveller from an alternative dimension! how did you stumble into our humble universe?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 11:21:07 PM »

Maybe AOC should have lived under Carter's incompetence or Mondale's immense tax increases, then maybe she would know what to support and what not to

wow, a traveller from an alternative dimension! how did you stumble into our humble universe?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 12:37:24 AM »

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:36 AM »

This line of historical argument (if you can even call it that) strikes me as of the same school as fifteenth century Italian scholars who wanted to castigate everything that came before them as part of a Dark Age and discounted the contributions of previous "rebirths" of Classical learning for being too "Gothic." Not that there aren't obvious examples of racist policies implemented during the '30s and '40s that FDR either tolerated or personally promoted during his term in office, but the habit of a certain breed of leftist to blast any example of historical progress as worthless* makes one wonder what the template for future progress looks like.

*In fairness, I wasn't able to find AOC's full remarks, so I don't know if this is actually what she was saying or if she was taken out of context.
Full context = she wasn't doing much speculating, mostly just talking about established and on-the-record facts.

This is correct.

1.Regarding the Japanese internment policies, and that they supposedly weren't mentioned by AOC.  Just because this news clip didn't bring them up (a news clip from Sinclair) doesn't mean she didn't mention it.

2.There were a number of New Deal programs that were explicitly racist.

Most New Deal programs discriminated against blacks. The NRA, for example, not only offered whites the first crack at jobs, but authorized separate and lower pay scales for blacks. The Federal Housing Authority (FHA) refused to guarantee mortgages for blacks who tried to buy in white neighborhoods, and the CCC maintained segregated camps. Furthermore, the Social Security Act excluded those job categories blacks traditionally filled.

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_textbook.cfm?smtID=2&psid=3447

3.In regards to Reagan, she mentioned 'working classes' but Reagan's nastiest 'dog whistle' racism was his 'welfare queens' reference.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/12/20/255819681/the-truth-behind-the-lies-of-the-original-welfare-queen

I certainly don't think Reagan was racist, but, he was a politician and he wasn't above appealing to racists.  After all, he kicked off his 1980 Presidential Campaign (post convention) by giving a speech on 'states rights' near Philadelphia, Mississippi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan%27s_Neshoba_County_Fair_%22states%27_rights%22_speech
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 02:28:05 AM »

Good for AOC calling out FDR's redlining. Make sure to compare the Japanese internment camps to Trump's/Obama's camps at the Mexican border!
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 02:30:30 AM »

I think AOC is insane and racist her self.

She is a stain on the democratic party.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 02:34:46 AM »

There was plenty of racism in the New Deal, but obviously it still helped blacks for blacks to start voting Democratic in 1936.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Correct answer!

Criticizing the New Deal as racist because of the redlining it included is like criticizing the Emancipation Proclamation as racist because it didn't also include an active affirmative action Federal hiring program. Revolutionary for its time even if behind the times by modern standards.

Furthermore, redlining was a practice even before the 1930s. It particularly exploded in the post-war housing boom.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 02:54:32 AM »

I have some respect for her because she didn't just criticize Republicans.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 05:12:47 AM »

Yeah, I Think it's weird to claim that the New Deal was particularly racist since it clearly held a lot of appeal to black people at the time, so much they started voting Democratic because of it.

That doesn't mean it wasn't racist but it's not clear to me that it's fair to blast FDR over it. Japanese internment camps on the other hand...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 06:31:51 AM »

Didn't somebody start an omnibus thread about AOC?  And when is Harry going to get in here to do whatever it is he does?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »

Yes if only she had lived though Mondale's presidency.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

There was plenty of racism in the New Deal, but obviously it still helped blacks for blacks to start voting Democratic in 1936.

Criticizing the New Deal as racist because of the redlining it included is like criticizing the Emancipation Proclamation as racist because it didn't also include an active affirmative action Federal hiring program. Revolutionary for its time even if behind the times by modern standards.

Furthermore, redlining was a practice even before the 1930s. It particularly exploded in the post-war housing boom.

Badger, genuinely curious when the last time you would have been comfortable as a Republican.  I call myself a RINO in jest, but ... if you are fully in line FDR in the 1930s, there surely wasn't some magical come to Jesus moment recently for ya.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »

1984 Dem Convention

"Mr. Reagan will raise your taxes and so will I [I will raise them so high that] I will cut the Reagan budget deficit in 2/3rds
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »

This is actually right, but her remarks are crazy regardless. It's like criticzing all 19th and 20th century presidents for being sexist because they had either no or just few women in their administration. Different times, different political standards.

Couldn't agree more. I'd support a more moderate primary challenger if one emerges, but that's a pipe dream. Sadly, she'll be around in politics for a long, long time.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 03:24:15 PM »

1984 Dem Convention

"Mr. Reagan will raise your taxes and so will I [I will raise them so high that] I will cut the Reagan budget deficit in 2/3rds

The way you phrased it sounded like you were saying Mondale was President
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »

Badger, genuinely curious when the last time you would have been comfortable as a Republican.  I call myself a RINO in jest, but ... if you are fully in line FDR in the 1930s, there surely wasn't some magical come to Jesus moment recently for ya.

The only elections where it seems like Badger would have supported the Republican since 1932 was in 1952,1956,1976  .

On the issue of being comfortable with FDR well if you take it in the context of times I think many of us Blue avatars would be . I would probably have been a Democrat from like 1930-1952. Hoover’s Presidency would have turned me off from the GOP for quite some time till around 1952(like it did with much of the nation as well). I also wouldn’t be comfortable with the conservative wing of the party till the conservative wing had transitioned from the full on libertarian Style Conservativism that Taft embodied to the Modern Conservative movement people like Buckley , Friedman and Reagan embodied .

To me the reason why I don’t think you can say Badger is a Republican in any sort is due to his support of ApC and many of her policies . Not even the most Rockefeller Republican would be in support of those policies

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »

My hero. I am in love with her.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »

So Trump is your king and AOC is your Queen Tongue
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »

The only elections where it seems like Badger would have supported the Republican since 1932 was in 1952,1956,1976  .

On the issue of being comfortable with FDR well if you take it in the context of times I think many of us Blue avatars would be . I would probably have been a Democrat from like 1930-1952. Hoover’s Presidency would have turned me off from the GOP for quite some time till around 1952(like it did with much of the nation as well). I also wouldn’t be comfortable with the conservative wing of the party till the conservative wing had transitioned from the full on libertarian Style Conservativism that Taft embodied to the Modern Conservative movement people like Buckley , Friedman and Reagan embodied .

To me the reason why I don’t think you can say Badger is a Republican in any sort is due to his support of ApC and many of her policies . Not even the most Rockefeller Republican would be in support of those policies

Rockefeller’s meter began to spin soon after he became governor of New York in 1959, and it accelerated as time went on. To be sure, every level of American government was expanding during the 1960s and 1970s. But Rockefeller made an outlier of the Empire State. He quadrupled the state budget and quintupled state debt, including off-the-books public-authority borrowing. He created the nation’s most lavish Medicaid program, designed to draw down maximum federal aid to the state while saddling New York City and county governments with half the non-federally reimbursed cost. He pushed through a collective bargaining law that would bequeath to New Yorkers the nation’s highest level of public-sector unionization. Though New York had been a cradle of open-handed liberalism, its state and local taxes, relative to personal income, were slightly below the national average when Rockefeller took office, according to Census data. By 1974, the combined burden had nearly doubled to a level well above the 50-state norm—where it has remained ever since

https://www.city-journal.org/html/hiya-big-spender-9844.html

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »

Rockefeller’s meter began to spin soon after he became governor of New York in 1959, and it accelerated as time went on. To be sure, every level of American government was expanding during the 1960s and 1970s. But Rockefeller made an outlier of the Empire State. He quadrupled the state budget and quintupled state debt, including off-the-books public-authority borrowing. He created the nation’s most lavish Medicaid program, designed to draw down maximum federal aid to the state while saddling New York City and county governments with half the non-federally reimbursed cost. He pushed through a collective bargaining law that would bequeath to New Yorkers the nation’s highest level of public-sector unionization. Though New York had been a cradle of open-handed liberalism, its state and local taxes, relative to personal income, were slightly below the national average when Rockefeller took office, according to Census data. By 1974, the combined burden had nearly doubled to a level well above the 50-state norm—where it has remained ever since

https://www.city-journal.org/html/hiya-big-spender-9844.html

I know that but AOC policies are well to the left of that
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »

Nancy Pelosi is my Queen.

AOC is my future wife.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »

Meh. With FDR, you could make the argument that he was overly solicitous with the Southern wing of the Democratic party when he had absolutely no electoral reason to be. Southern "negro"-baiting was gross even then.

And the redlining: that was Hoover's doing, precisely because "melting pots" (they already used the term in the 1920s) were invariably associated with slums.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »

While I broadly agree with you I think FDR still deserves some level of criticism for Kow towing to Dixiecrats when he didn't have to, at least pre 1938
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies