Ilhan Omar: Obama’s a “pretty face” who “got away with murder”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:16:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar: Obama’s a “pretty face” who “got away with murder”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar: Obama’s a “pretty face” who “got away with murder”  (Read 3033 times)
Reluctant Republican

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »

Part of me wonders if she's going to have the same trajectory as McKinney, including ending up in the Greens.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »

So Obama wasn't a "murderer" 2 years ago?
I'm officially done with her. You can criticize Obama (I have done so) but calling him essentially a war criminal is bridge too far.

Why? What else would you consider what he did? He bombed a freaking civilian hospital ffs.

And wrecked Libya. And wrecked Yemen. And "droned some folks". And armed terrorists.

And he promised a badly needed peaceful revolution while governing like an establishment technocrat.

He was also a pretty good President compared to his peers.

These contradictions are not some exceptional and unique failure of Obama. They are inherent in the structure of modern America, split between a huge population who are more or less scrapping by (and doing above average by global standards) and an oligarchic elite profiting directly or indirectly by domestic and global explotation.

We, as a nation need to decide what we want to be.

Fortunately for the establishment oligarchy, Trump has managed to discredit, divide and alieniate populists, while simultaneously making oligarch-lackey police-state war criminals like Bush and Obama look good by comparison.

Very well put.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 07:15:27 PM »

Bye Felicia. Time to fund a primary challenger next year.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »

She hid her true self until she was elected - now its all coming out.  A radical, anti-semitic, America hating extremist.  She is a joke and should be expelled from the caucus.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »

Oh look another thread where Atlas melts down over fake news.

Omar didn't say anything like that and has the tapes to prove it.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »

Huh
Am I missing something? Have none of you heard the phrase "Get away with murder"?

Full quote:
“His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar said.

“And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”

Its clearly not literal, its figurative.

Seriously, it feels that y'all are really taking what she says waaaaay too seriously. Its ridiculous.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »

Criticizing Obama's foreign policy is absolutely fair game. It was easily the worst part of his presidency, and a massive disappointment that he didn't depart from Bush-era policies. Saying he's not that different from Trump shows an inability to see nuance and an incredibly black-and-white way of looking at the world, which unfortunately seems to describe Omar pretty well. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she's been giving me every reason not to, lately.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2019, 08:21:13 PM by Former Senator Zaybay »

So, after listening to the tapes, I understand what the problem is, and its sigh due to interpretation(a rather recurring problem for Omar).

If you listen to the tape, she says those exact words. She isnt misquoted or anything, she says all of that word for word. So, its easy to see how this can be pretty bad, but then theres the other side to it. If you listen earlier in the interview, she says that every president has a blotch on their record, even great presidents, and then uses Obama as an example, which implies she really likes Obama, and that she is saying that Obama's weakest area was foreign policy(which Im pretty sure we can all agree on).

So, really, the big problem is that Omar clearly has foot-in-mouth disease, and seems to always articulate ideas that can be seen as antisemitic, or anti-Obama, etc, even in cases where she was talking in good faith. While I do not feel foot-in-mouth disease deserves expulsion, her state is famous for having a Republican version of her that founded the HFC, or something like that, she clearly must stop giving interviews and try to re-calibrate how she talks. This is really just her, BTW. Others like Tlaib have been able to articulate their ideas pretty well without getting into hot water like this, and all of Tlaib's controversies have been rather purposeful(she was in the news for wanting to "Impeach that ****er". Pretty easy to understand, and no form of cognitive dissonance where you can argue that she said something else.).

Do I think Omar deserves expulsion? No, other politicians have said much, much worse, and have seen no condemnation. Do I think Omar deserves to be stripped of her foreign policy committee? Maybe, but in reality she doesnt have that much influence on there to begin with and it would really just be for the media. Im not sure what a valid punishment for this would be, but I feel that everyone is rushing to the rather severe options on the table for comments/issues that no one seems to be following in the first place except for a couple on twitter.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=Illhan%20Omar,%2Fm%2F0w6tdpj,Bill%20Nye,AOC,%2Fm%2F059_x6c

I guess the best punishment would be the Steve King punishment, do a primary challenge, and see how it goes. Thats the only one I can see actually working and ending the issue, but I personally doubt she loses.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 08:08:11 PM »

Barack Obama is above criticism, full stop. Revere the office, and especially the GOAT.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »

Not a fan of this statement, but still a fan of her.
○∙◄☻Ątπ[╪AV┼cVę└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 08:15:54 PM »

Huh
Am I missing something? Have none of you heard the phrase "Get away with murder"?

Full quote:
“His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar said.

“And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”

Its clearly not literal, its figurative.

Seriously, it feels that y'all are really taking what she says waaaaay too seriously. Its ridiculous.

Our foreign policy literally murders many.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »

Good on her for having the courage to call a spade a spade. The weak-need liberals whining about this are welcome to join the neocons in the GOP plotting to obliterate Iran.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »

So, after listening to the tapes, I understand what the problem is, and its sigh due to interpretation(a rather recurring problem for Omar).

If you listen to the tape, she says those exact words. She isnt misquoted or anything, she says all of that word for word. So, its easy to see how this can be pretty bad, but then theres the other side to it. If you listen earlier in the interview, she says that every president has a blotch on their record, even great presidents, and then uses Obama as an example, which implies she really likes Obama, and that she is saying that Obama's weakest area was foreign policy(which Im pretty sure we can all agree on).

Nope.

His foreign policy was bad, but giving free passes to torture, widespread illegal domestic surveillance, and epic financial fraud was worse.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »

Oh no baby what is you doin?

She's not wrong though, sadly. I mostly like Obama but he did some terrible things, as do most presidents.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »

Literally the only good thing about Obama was him droning everyone.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »

This is sarcasm... yes?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »

This is sarcasm... yes?

Fine, not the only good thing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »

If any Republican said this leftists here would call this racist and bigoted .

By the way it’s stunning that Democrats are choosing Omar over Obama and shows how far left extreme they are getting
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »

By the way it’s stunning that Democrats are choosing Omar over Obama and shows how far left extreme they are getting

Did you not bother to read the thread? It's all #fakenews, as I suspected from the first headline.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 08:56:43 PM »

Did you not bother to read the thread? It's all #fakenews, as I suspected from the first headline.

She said it word. for word.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 08:57:47 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:54 PM »

Context. matters. You can clearly. see how. she was taken. out. of context. in order to generate. clicks and. circlejerks for her. haterz.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »

Context. matters. You can clearly. see how. she was taken. out. of context. in order to generate. clicks and. circlejerks for her. haterz.

Nah.  Its clear man.  Stop making excuses for genocide.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »

Well, we ARE only 20 months away from President-Elect Sanders after all, so...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »

Nah.  Its clear man.  Stop making excuses for genocide.

That's a. really good. point. Criticism of. Obama is equivalent to. dare-I-say. wor.se than. genocide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies