Poll: Ilhan Omar
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:07:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Ilhan Omar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Should Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN) be expelled from the Democratic Caucus?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 232

Author Topic: Poll: Ilhan Omar  (Read 11914 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2019, 03:39:07 AM »

Why does every thread about this woman turn into a 5+ page thread? I promise you she is not that interesting.

Its because many Democratic posters and left-leaning posters on here have not only defended Omar but her comments as well which is worse. I wasn't expecting those posters to disown Omar but I did expect them to criticize and call out those comments but instead they decided to defend her comments. The fact is Omar's views are no longer fringe but quickly becoming more and more common among Democrats which is just scary.

BTW: I am not a hypocrite on this, I have called out Trump numerous times when he has made bigoted statements as well.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »

The Democratic Party is working overtime these days to kill liberalism.  There is nothing liberal about Ilhan Omar and, to a large degree, there is nothing liberal about AOC.  The Democrats are about to give America a meaningful lesson about the difference between what is "liberal" and what is "leftist".
So you're claiming that AOC and Omar - cheerleaders of The Green New Deal, free public college and Medicare For All - hold "conservative / moderate leftist" positions? I thought the right wing position was that the Green New Deal was pie-in-the-sky hippy-dippy chicken-little nonsense because the world isn't ending in 12 years. Would you classify it as conservative or possibly moderate?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2019, 07:46:12 AM »

The Democratic Party is working overtime these days to kill liberalism.  There is nothing liberal about Ilhan Omar and, to a large degree, there is nothing liberal about AOC.  The Democrats are about to give America a meaningful lesson about the difference between what is "liberal" and what is "leftist".
So you're claiming that AOC and Omar - cheerleaders of The Green New Deal, free public college and Medicare For All - hold "conservative / moderate leftist" positions? I thought the right wing position was that the Green New Deal was pie-in-the-sky hippy-dippy chicken-little nonsense because the world isn't ending in 12 years. Would you classify it as conservative or possibly moderate?

Not sure how you derived that from his post. It is clear to me that AOC's Green New Deal represents a break from liberalism. The GND, if implemented correctly, would directly challenge capitalism. Capitalism is one of the core values of liberalism. So yes, the Sanders/AOC wing of the party is "leftist" and opposed to "liberal." We can only hope that they manage to "kill liberalism," as Fuzzy fears. But they haven't taken over the Democratic Party yet.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2019, 08:25:56 AM »

The GND, if implemented correctly, would directly challenge capitalism.
Would you kindly elaborate on this?

I'm under the impression that the GND has lots of "carrot and stick" methods of acheiving it's goals, as well as regulation, caps, and big infrastructure projects which will create jobs related to a greener America.

Does any of that contradict capitalism? It seems to me to be a more controlled and manipulated outcome, but via capitalism.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2019, 08:33:44 AM »

Why does every thread about this woman turn into a 5+ page thread? I promise you she is not that interesting.

Its because many Democratic posters and left-leaning posters on here have not only defended Omar but her comments as well which is worse. I wasn't expecting those posters to disown Omar but I did expect them to criticize and call out those comments but instead they decided to defend her comments. The fact is Omar's views are no longer fringe but quickly becoming more and more common among Democrats which is just scary.

BTW: I am not a hypocrite on this, I have called out Trump numerous times when he has made bigoted statements as well.

A page of this entire thread is you equating the Democrats to Corbyn, something you have done on literally every thread about Omar, and something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2019, 10:46:52 AM »

Criticism towards Israeli policies =/= antisemitism. Although I wouldn't word this the way she does, nor do I agree with some of her points.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »

Not yet, but she needs to learn how to talk about foreign policy without putting her foot in her mouth.

The disingenuous and selective “outrage” Republicans have about antisemitism is pretty patronizing to me, personally. Yes, there are antisemitics on the left. That doesn’t mean you get to claim moral superiority on the issue and ignore antisemitism that is less politically convenient to point out.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »

Appreciating all this advice and recommendations coming from the party of Donald Trump, thanks so much!

Not all of us are Trump supporters but being the party of Trump is far less worse than being the party of Corbyn/Omar/AOC

Imagine having such a high opinion of voters to where you assume more than 10% of them even know who Ilhan Omar actually is. The Republican Party never faced any backlash for the stuff Trump and Steve King have said. In fact, voters rewarded them for it

The republicans stripped Steve King of all his committee assignments and the congressional committee didn’t help his campaign: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/10/31/gop-fund-wont-help-steve-king-in-tight-race-due-to-white-supremacist-support.html

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »

Appreciating all this advice and recommendations coming from the party of Donald Trump, thanks so much!

Not all of us are Trump supporters but being the party of Trump is far less worse than being the party of Corbyn/Omar/AOC

Imagine having such a high opinion of voters to where you assume more than 10% of them even know who Ilhan Omar actually is. The Republican Party never faced any backlash for the stuff Trump and Steve King have said. In fact, voters rewarded them for it

The republicans stripped Steve King of all his committee assignments and the congressional committee didn’t help his campaign: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/10/31/gop-fund-wont-help-steve-king-in-tight-race-due-to-white-supremacist-support.html

The Democrats will never rightfully punish her like how the Republicans did Steve King because she checks little token boxes for them. Who cares how terrible she actually is.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »

The Democrats will never rightfully punish her like how the Republicans did Steve King because she checks little token boxes for them. Who cares how terrible she actually is.

This narrative that the GOP has done nothing about Steve King just isn't true.

The voters of his district can elect him ad infinitum; that's not on the GOP.  They've stripped him of his committee assignments.  They could join with Democrats to expel him from Congress, but could that stand?  Can you lawfully expel a member of Congress who was duly elected?  I think not, and I think that the principle of voter sovereignty in King's case (and in Omar's if it ever comes to where King is now) ought to be considered.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2019, 09:31:01 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2019, 09:34:29 PM by SWE »

Jeremy Corbyn is not a Democrat.

AOC and Omar are basically Corbyn

AOC is more socially Corbyn and Omar is more fiscally Corbyn

The reverse is true

AOC on economic policies is Corbyn
Omar on social and cutural policies is Corbyn

bahahahahahaha
Old School Republican is a living "I forced a bot to read 1000 atlas posts and write its own, here are the results" meme

Can you lawfully expel a member of Congress who was duly elected?  
The Constitution provides a specific procedure for expelling a member of Congress (Article 1,Section 5), so very unambiguously yes.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »

Jeremy Corbyn is not a Democrat.

AOC and Omar are basically Corbyn

AOC is more socially Corbyn and Omar is more fiscally Corbyn

The reverse is true

AOC on economic policies is Corbyn
Omar on social and cutural policies is Corbyn

bahahahahahaha
Old School Republican is a living "I forced a bot to read 1000 atlas posts and write its own, here are the results" meme

The Constitution provides a specific procedure for expelling a member of Congress (Article 1,Section 5), so very unambiguously yes.

Should the Congress, which I understand is the judge of its own members, simply refuse to seat a person just because they don't agree with their viewpoints? 

Are we going to expel all members of Congress we don't approve of by 2/3 votes? 

If we do so, what does that say about the House of Representatives being a democratic institution?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2019, 02:14:18 AM »

k

Should the Congress, which I understand is the judge of its own members, simply refuse to seat a person just because they don't agree with their viewpoints? 

If we do so, what does that say about the House of Representatives being a democratic institution?

Who brought up expelling King from the House?  The first person to mention that course of action is you.

Expulsion from the House has so far only been applied in cases of treason (i.e. supporting the Confederacy) and criminal convictions.  Censure and reprimands are relatively far more common.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:55 AM »

She has turned out be a disappointment, if I'm honest. Not quite the Muslim representation I was hoping for. Abdul El-Sayed would be better.

I don't think she should be expelled now, but remain a last option.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »

Criticism towards Israeli policies =/= antisemitism. Although I wouldn't word this the way she does, nor do I agree with some of her points.

This. The ability of  Republicans for screaming that any criticism of right-wing Israeli politics is the moral equivalent of the Holocaust is sickening.

I keep waiting for the GOP to start ranting about how the Israeli justice system is anti-Semitic for indicting Netanyahu.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »

This. The ability of  Republicans for screaming that any criticism of right-wing Israeli politics is the moral equivalent of the Holocaust is sickening.

I keep waiting for the GOP to start ranting about how the Israeli justice system is anti-Semitic for indicting Netanyahu.

I keep waiting for Atlas to stop goysplaing anti-Semitism to Jewish posters, but that ain’t happening either.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »

I keep waiting for Atlas to stop goysplaing anti-Semitism to Jewish posters, but that ain’t happening either.

Now, now, that's a fair criticism of far-right Republicans *checks notes* Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Eliot Engel, and Ted Deutch.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »

Absolutely not.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »

You can criticize Israel without playing into anti-Semitic tropes. Look at the difference between Ilhan Omar's comments and Betty McCollum's.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

beep boop democrats are corbyn
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »

k

Who brought up expelling King from the House?  The first person to mention that course of action is you.
Expulsion from the House has so far only been applied in cases of treason (i.e. supporting the Confederacy) and criminal convictions.  Censure and reprimands are relatively far more common.

... Preachy Parson Fuzzybear loves to cling onto an irrelevant or incomplete portion of the point being made and then bloviate ad nauseum.  He does this in nearly every argument he makes.
  This is called ignoratio elenchi or “irrelevant conclusion” in which the person makes what may or may not be logically valid or sound argument, but whose conclusion misses the point of the issue in question.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2019, 11:33:16 PM by Mayor Steve Pearce »

I don't know the right thread to throw the new Democratic response to Omar's comments in. This is a bit of a blog-post, similar to my infamous “Party of Macklemore” post about how Democrats will vote for any parasite with regard to social issues. This isn't going to be some thing from five years ago where I wring my hands over how we care too much about “social issues”. I'm not going to make some cringe-worthy post about how we need healthcare reform because it'd stop people from dying while concern trolling about focusing on gun violence. It's a more nuanced take, hopefully reflective and less problematic than the last post.

The “Democratic” response to Ilhan Omar's comments prove they've learned nothing from 2016. In fact, it's syptomatic of the same mistakes made back then. I could at least get behind it if it was about social issues or culture wars. Instead, it's about the Democratic Party willing to cozy up to anyone willing to piss off Trump – including the right. Lately, it feels like they'd rather reach out to the right than the left.

Yes, Omar's comments were clumsy. Yes, they should have been worded better. I can certainly see why they could be construed as anti-Semitic. If you want me to be honest, I'm still conflicted, and as someone who isn't Jewish, I don't think I have the experience to judge. All I know is that I can only remember two people that have gotten more flack from Democratic leadership than Omar: Donald Trump and Brett Kavanaugh.

That's the key difference between the two parties. Republicans actively seize on the “both sides” narrative, while Democrats feed into it. When Steve King was advocating for white supremacy and prancing around with Nazis, you didn't see people like Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell flagellating themselves in front of the NAACP or J Street. The powers that be quietly removed him from his committee assignments after one too many defenses of white supremacism and moved on as King faded into obscurity. He'll either leave Congress through being primaried or on his own terms. unfortunately, neo-Nazism just isn't a deal-breaker for the people in his district.

With Democrats, you have the second-in-command in the House and the Senate Majority Leader flagellating themselves in front of a group lobbying for the Republican Party's vision of Israel. Not only do remarks like Hoyer's paint the rising leftward tide of the party as a whole as anti-Semitic, it does nothing but fuel Republicans. It outright plays into the “both sides” narrative the media likes to spout, which late-stage capitalism is more responsible for than anything.

We don't know when King will make another Nazi comment, but when he does, you know the right will be hand-wringing about Ilhan Omar until she's out of office. Instead of talking about how Schumer hasn't done anything, they'll now talk about how Schumer hasn't done enough to combat hate and should call on Omar to resign before he talks about King. Now, because Democrats keep dredging it back into the news cycle, people are going to care about it, and they're not only going to remember, they're going to become the party of anti-Semitism.

At the end of the day, the Democratic experience at AIPAC shows that they've learned nothing from their previous mistakes. The old guard, which still largely is in power, is continuing their pivot to the center-right, and is using Omar's comments as an olive branch to bring more neoconservatives into the fold. It's more symptomatic of the Trump-centric view the party took of America, allowing the President to define the issues and hand-wringing about the good old days when politics were civil, and taking in anyone who opposed the coalition, regardless of whether they needed it or not.

In short, I'm not leaving the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party left me. It feels like they'd rather have someone like Meghan McCain or Jeff Flake than me or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Sure, there's a growing buzz around the Green New Deal, but how am I supposed to trust that the party's committed to green energy when they named Manchin their ranking member of the Energy Committee?

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1110396032418865152

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1110569503862255616

e: can't get the tweets to work below the tweet
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »

Stripped from her committe assignments at least relating to foreign policy yes .

Caucus I’m not sure because at one hand while house parties should have some power to choose who can be in their caucus on the other hand the voters did vote for her to be part of the caucus . So I’m leaning towards no.

Pretty much this, especially the first part.
I cant imagine anyone sane can disagree with that.

The left in our country defines what is "sane," so surely you'll get plenty of far lefties defending her.  See above.  However, I am inclined to agree with this.  Keep this wackjob away from anything related to foreign policy.

Perhaps you should offer the Dems a deal? They can keep Omar away from foreign policy, and you can keep Trump away from foreign policy by removing him from office?

Until they definitively demonstrate their rejection of Trump and everything he represents, the only response to anything coming from Republicans should be:

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »

Stripped from her committe assignments at least relating to foreign policy yes .

Caucus I’m not sure because at one hand while house parties should have some power to choose who can be in their caucus on the other hand the voters did vote for her to be part of the caucus . So I’m leaning towards no.

Pretty much this, especially the first part.
I cant imagine anyone sane can disagree with that.

The left in our country defines what is "sane," so surely you'll get plenty of far lefties defending her.  See above.  However, I am inclined to agree with this.  Keep this wackjob away from anything related to foreign policy.

Perhaps you should offer the Dems a deal? They can keep Omar away from foreign policy, and you can keep Trump away from foreign policy by removing him from office?

Until they definitively demonstrate their rejection of Trump and everything he represents, the only response to anything coming from Republicans should be:

Still going to dodge and make this about Trump, huh? Figures.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2019, 12:32:42 PM by fluffypanther19 »

At this point, no. But she's clearly on strike two as a representative. Her next anti-semitic outburst will likely be worse and should result in the exact same treatment as Steve King got.

This.  The ice has gotten paper-thin.

edit: she should be also be primaried
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies