Ford Wins in 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:23:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ford Wins in 1976
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford Wins in 1976  (Read 556 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »

I feel like this is underdiscussed ... let's say Ford squeaks by Carter in 1976 but leaves office with a lot of the same (economy-related) troubles.  What would a map look like for a winning Democrat in 1980?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2019, 03:55:46 PM by Iowa more R than Ohio »

My guess, with Walter Mondale as the Democratic nominee in 1980 (vs. Reagan):

279 - 259
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »

Gerald Ford winning in 1976 would have been great. He would have handled the foreign crisis and the economy with more competence and saved us from both Carter and Reagan (and the Bushes).

The 1980 nomination battle would have been between Vice President Bob Dole and Ronald Reagan, with the Gipper edging out a narrow win. The Democratic nomination is a wildcard, I think Reubin Askew may have advanced (or even Jerry Brown?). I don't see Mondale being strong enough. Askew ultimately beats Reagan by a comfortable margin. California goes narrowly into Reagan's column.

✓ Former Governor Reubin Askew (D-FL)/Senator John Glenn (D-OH): 326 EV. (51.87%)
Former Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/Senator John Tower (R-TX): 212 EV. (46.39%)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »

Sets up Ted Kennedy versus Ronald Reagan but in an environment where the GOP presided over a broken Vietnam promise, Watergate, and a MISERABLE 4 years that includes an energy crisis, a bad economy and the Iranian hostage crisis. Thus I think Ted Kennedy wins.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 05:44:33 PM »

Sets up Ted Kennedy versus Ronald Reagan but in an environment where the GOP presided over a broken Vietnam promise, Watergate, and a MISERABLE 4 years that includes an energy crisis, a bad economy and the Iranian hostage crisis. Thus I think Ted Kennedy wins.

Fair enough, but I don't think the hostage crisis happens under Ford. That was mostly, if not completely, on Carter.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:53 PM »

My Prediction:

Gov. Hugh Carey (D-NY) / Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX): 344 EV, 52% PV
Fmr. Gov. Ronald Reagan (R-CA) / Defense Sec. Donald Rumsfeld (R-IL): 194 EV, 47% PV

Reagan beats Dole for the nomination on the Republican side. He came close to beating Ford for it in '76 I see no reason why he wouldn't beat a weaker Bob Dole. Carey seems like the best candidate for Democrats in 1980 in a Ford wins '76 scenario as Teddy never wanted to be President, Askew and Bumpers are out with  Carter's "New South" appeal failing in '76, Hart and Glenn are up for re election that year, Scoop Jackson is too hawkish for the base, and Mondale will have the stench of Carter. Bentsen is a good ticket balancer for him to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies