Trump-Kim Summit abruptly ends, no deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:27:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump-Kim Summit abruptly ends, no deal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump-Kim Summit abruptly ends, no deal  (Read 1641 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »

One thing I found humorous, was when they approached one another for the first hand-shake and media pictures, and seeing both of them with their tiny hands.
Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »

North Korea claims they only asked for partial removal of sanctions in exchange for monitored dismantling of Yongbyong plus a permanent end to all nuclear and missile testing. Trump may have missed an opportunity here but with the amount of crap he gets for trying to do a deal I'm not surprised.

Not really.  North Korea giving up the use of some facilities while they kept others totally unimpaired was a worthless offer. It certainly wouldn't have been worth a reduction of sanctions.  I think Kim the Third overestimated how much he could get out of Trump, which given Trump's past performances and pre-summit rhetoric, I don't blame Kim for thinking it was possible.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »

Sometimes, no deal is the best possible result.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »

North Korea claims they only asked for partial removal of sanctions in exchange for monitored dismantling of Yongbyong plus a permanent end to all nuclear and missile testing. Trump may have missed an opportunity here but with the amount of crap he gets for trying to do a deal I'm not surprised.

Not really.  North Korea giving up the use of some facilities while they kept others totally unimpaired was a worthless offer. It certainly wouldn't have been worth a reduction of sanctions.  I think Kim the Third overestimated how much he could get out of Trump, which given Trump's past performances and pre-summit rhetoric, I don't blame Kim for thinking it was possible.

What would you propose?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 11:17:04 PM »

What would you propose?

Ideally, not have had the summit to begin with, but this was about the best possible result.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 11:29:17 PM »

I could be wrong, but I believe Trump is trying to ape Reagan walking away from the 1986 Reykjavík Summit because he simply couldn't compromise on the Strategic Defense Initiative (derisively known by its critics as 'Star Wars').  As history turned out, there was a lot of progress made at that summit between Reagan and Gorbachev on a number of issues, which formed the basis for an eventual agreement a year later on the landmark Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.  

Could that be what Trump is trying to do here?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 03:04:59 AM »

What would you propose?

Ideally, not have had the summit to begin with, but this was about the best possible result.

How does that solve the North Korean issue?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2019, 04:25:04 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2019, 04:37:24 AM by Ye Olde Europe »

I could be wrong, but I believe Trump is trying to ape Reagan walking away from the 1986 Reykjavík Summit because he simply couldn't compromise on the Strategic Defense Initiative (derisively known by its critics as 'Star Wars').  As history turned out, there was a lot of progress made at that summit between Reagan and Gorbachev on a number of issues, which formed the basis for an eventual agreement a year later on the landmark Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.  

Could that be what Trump is trying to do here?

Donald Trump incorrectly believes that the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan "because terrorists were going into Russia", so I find it doubtful that he's even aware of the Reykjavik Summit's existence.

What Trump is trying to do here is to get the Nobel Peace Prize for himself and he thought meeting one on one with Kim is going to achieve that because nobody makes better deals than him! Trump really isn't such a complex person.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »

What would you propose?

How does that solve the North Korean issue?

Issues usually need to be managed not solved. This is one. It would have been nice to take some small steps towards normalization of relations but those don't need summits to happen.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 02:36:47 PM »

The Warmbier family has responded.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »

Late-night hosts mock abrupt end to North Korea summit.

Watch video here: https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2019/03/01/late-night-laughs-trump-kim-summit-newday-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/atv-trending-videos/

Smiley
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2019, 01:00:22 PM by PSOL »

Don’t fret folks, President Moon will be working closely with both these fat babies to move to a deal
South Korea will work with the United States and North Korea to help them reach a denuclearization deal, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Friday, a day after a U.S.-North Korean summit collapsed over a disagreement on sanctions.

The second meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, in Vietnam, was cut short after they failed to reach a deal on the extent of sanctions relief North Korea would get in exchange for steps to give up its nuclear program.

Moon has been active in efforts to end confrontation on the Korean peninsula, meeting Kim three times last year and trying to facilitate his nuclear negotiations with the United States.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 12:07:22 AM »

North Korea Executed Envoy Over Trump-Kim Summit, Chosun Reports
North Korea executed its former top nuclear envoy with the U.S. along with four other foreign ministry officials in March after a failed summit between Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump in Vietnam, South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported.

Kim Hyok Chol, who led working-level negotiations for the February summit in Hanoi, was executed by firing squad after being charged with espionage for allegedly being co-opted by the U.S., the newspaper said, citing an unidentified source. The move was part of an internal purge Kim undertook after the summit broke down without any deal, it said.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »

North Korea executed its former top nuclear envoy with the U.S. along with four other foreign ministry officials in March after a failed summit between Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump in Vietnam, South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported.

Kim Hyok Chol, who led working-level negotiations for the February summit in Hanoi, was executed by firing squad after being charged with espionage for allegedly being co-opted by the U.S., the newspaper said, citing an unidentified source. The move was part of an internal purge Kim undertook after the summit broke down without any deal, it said.

Trumps fault
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 03:41:49 AM »

Yeah, Kim is such a terrific guy...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »

I just hope that this doesn't give Trump any ideas. If he wins a second term and has even less to lose with his behavior, I wouldn't put it past him to at least talk about this.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »

Trumps fault
Fault? These folks worked for the Dictator who starves his own people!
Another WIN!

Will Trump do same to John Bolton. Unfortunately not, though, he probably should. But the odds that Trump fires him soon seems to go up lately! NICE!

hows the weather in Vladivostok?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »

I just hope that this doesn't give Trump any ideas. If he wins a second term and has even less to lose with his behavior, I wouldn't put it past him to at least talk about this.

Donald J. Trump
Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Crazy Nancy was very unfair to me so I KILLED her! Not illegal because Mueller report showed TOTAL EXONNERATION! Cannot indict! #MAGA
12:30 AM - 1 May 2021
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »

Trumps fault
Another WIN!

Will Trump do same to John Bolton. Unfortunately not, though, he probably should. But the odds that Trump fires him soon seems to go up lately! NICE!

It is raining cats and dogs Kim Hyok Chol.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »

The petulant manchild got cucked again by NK, Sad!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »

Trumps fault
Another WIN!

It is raining cats and dogs Kim Hyok Chol.

Your Soviet mind tricks wont work on me mister
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »

Good for him for not following Obama's mistakes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies