Trump-Kim Summit abruptly ends, no deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:23:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump-Kim Summit abruptly ends, no deal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump-Kim Summit abruptly ends, no deal  (Read 1642 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/trump-begins-one-one-kim-jong-un-tempering-expectations-n977466

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »

Well, I'm glad Trump didn't cave here. He's an awful prez, but I'm not sure anyone in his position would have gotten a truly fair deal. Kim is obviously not ready to give up his life insurance (the nukes), especially to someone who is both unpredictable and weakened domestically. The next prez could easily throw any deal into the trash, just as Trump did with Iran.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »

Good to see he didn't give the farm away for nothing like Obama did with the Iran deal.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that it would result in this at a certain junction. Earlier (and much more competent) administrations have already tried and failed.

Trump's boastful "if I meet with Kim in person I will make progress where no other president before managed to make progress, because I am THE DEALMAKER" was merely the usual blowhardiness we can expect from him.

Well, I'm glad Trump didn't cave here. He's an awful prez, but I'm not sure anyone in his position would have gotten a truly fair deal.

Pompeo was also on location and maybe he was the one who insisted towards Trump not to make any concessions? It's doubtful that Trump possesses the finesse to recognize when he's about to sell the farm.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »

Cohen has testified and the meeting didn’t serve its intended purpose as a distraction.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:58:01 AM »

Now he can claim to be a hero, because he got shot down in 'Nam.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »

I love you.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »

Not surprising, but watch and see the right-wing media outlets try and make this into a success story for Trump.

I thought this was going to go so well and be a huge plus for Trump's 2020 odds Huh
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »

Not surprising, but watch and see the right-wing media outlets try and make this into a success story for Trump.

"He was tough and unrelenting when faced with a brutal dictator (who btw had nothing to do with Otto Warmbier's death)."
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »

I thought this was going to go so well and be a huge plus for Trump's 2020 odds Huh

Most people are saying Trump did the right thing...
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »

Kim cannot be stupid enough to denuclearize after what happened to Gaddafi after he did so.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 11:03:54 AM »

Most people are saying Trump did the right thing...

I didn't say he did the wrong thing, clearly no deal is better than a deal that would have had all sanctions lifted on NK in exchange for "concessions" (sure) on their nuclear program.

I was just saying that Fox & Friends and the like will likely try to spin this as a victory for Trump, when it's clearly a failure since he couldn't make a better deal - although that's not necessarily his fault.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:34:17 PM »

Good to see he didn't give the farm away for nothing like Obama did with the Iran deal.

Sarcasm?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »

And just like that, I discover my own stupidity. I recant my statements, nothing is good about that orange clown destroying a fragile ecosystem.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 02:57:53 PM »

North Korea claims they only asked for partial removal of sanctions in exchange for monitored dismantling of Yongbyong plus a permanent end to all nuclear and missile testing. Trump may have missed an opportunity here but with the amount of crap he gets for trying to do a deal I'm not surprised.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »

Sarcasm?

I see you're not familiar with Sandy yet.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 04:01:17 PM »

North Korea claims they only asked for partial removal of sanctions in exchange for monitored dismantling of Yongbyong plus a permanent end to all nuclear and missile testing. Trump may have missed an opportunity here but with the amount of crap he gets for trying to do a deal I'm not surprised.

He doesn't care about that. Sean Hannity and the rest of the Fox News crew will sing his praises to the high heavens and celebrate Peace in Our Time no matter how sh[inks]y or inconsequential any deal actually is.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »

Smiley
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »

He doesn't care about that. Sean Hannity and the rest of the Fox News crew will sing his praises to the high heavens and celebrate Peace in Our Time no matter how sh[inks]y or inconsequential any deal actually is.

But I thought the right/trump was telling all Americans that NK would be rid of its nuclear program and weapons, by the end of trump's first term (2020)?
That we could all "sleep safely every night, without any threat of nukes" hitting the US from NK?
Silly me for believing in the Orange Clown ..... I mean our President.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »

Sad and pathetic for such a stable genius!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 05:48:59 PM »

Im just stating the facts. North Korea's stated position, a phased approach, is not unreasonable. It's clear that some Dems are so invested in partisan bashing of Trump that they are rooting for failure.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 06:13:22 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »

/internet
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »

*Applauds* Well done!

Anyway, I'm detecting a pattern here from the "World's Greatest Deal-Maker."
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »

Im just stating the facts. North Korea's stated position, a phased approach, is not unreasonable. It's clear that some Dems are so invested in partisan bashing of Trump that they are rooting for failure.

I am not "rooting for failure", just pointing out that Trump is a poor negotiator and that having an effective State Media which is never critical of him and endlessly strokes his ego doesn't help the situation. Furthermore, Trump's approach to the Iran deal shows that no agreement made with him is worth the paper it's printed on because he's so erratic. This has been a trend throughout his business and political career. Note that Trump pulled out of the Iran deal and re-imposed sanctions even though Iran was in full compliance. Why should Kim expect to be treated any differently?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies