Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 03:50:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 87132 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: April 17, 2019, 12:37:14 AM »

He raised $6.1 million in the first 24 hours. Stop moving goal posts to prop your Messiah up.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #926 on: April 17, 2019, 12:40:37 AM »

He raised $6.1 million in the first 24 hours. Stop moving goal posts to prop your Messiah up.

He lied about outraising Bernie. And anyways, those donors are totally maxed out and can't give again. Bernie has very few maxed out donors. No goal posts were moved. Only primary money should be counted over a year before any general election money can be spent.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #927 on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »

He lied about outraising Bernie. And anyways, those donors are totally maxed out and can't give again. Bernie has very few maxed out donors. No goal posts were moved. Only primary money should be counted over a year before any general election money can be spent.

Source? Reddit doesn't count. Keep telling yourself that though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #928 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:12 PM »

Beto doesn't take money from PAC, and wants that to be his selling point. He would be best to end soft money contributions as Prez
SCNCmod

« Reply #929 on: April 17, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »

Why is Beto not taking part in any of the CNN Town Halls? 

I realize Beto had not yet declared when many of the first round of town halls took place.... but the upcoming 5 CNN back-to-back town Halls will be the 2nd on CNN for Klobuchar, Castro, Bernie, etc.

(I guess strategically, its possible he may want to wait for Biden to announce, and then be grouped in with back to back Biden-Beto town halls (maybe thinking it would provide a good contrast, given Biden's age, somewhat overly dramatic delivery, etc)??
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #930 on: April 17, 2019, 07:56:59 PM »

Probably because he doesn't have any policy positions to defend.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #931 on: April 17, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »

Probably because he doesn't have any policy positions to defend.

Well said. The substance-free candidates of this cycle know to stick to their stump speeches.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #932 on: April 17, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »

Source? Reddit doesn't count. Keep telling yourself that though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/democrats-2020-fundraising.html

Hes (kinda) right, heres the original:

Mr. O’Rourke’s campaign touted, loudly, that he actually had out-raised Mr. Sanders in his first 24 hours as a candidate: $6.1 million to $6 million. But the new federal disclosures show that Mr. O’Rourke relied upon a bit of accounting finesse to score that headline: Nearly $300,000 of his first-day haul was actually general-election funds raised above the limit that he can spend in the primary contest.

Sanders did outraise Beto on the first day.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »

No offense but I think you are acting way too frantic about something that doesn't matter. Nobody is paying attention to 2020 like that. He will be on television when the debates happen and I'm sure he will ramp up television appearances in the fall. He is doing five to six events A DAY to huge crowds and had folks knocking on doors for him last weekend in all 50 states. Relax.

Sanders did outraise Beto on the first day.
Beto O'Rourke raised $6.1 million during the first 24 hours of his campaign. Next subject.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #934 on: April 17, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »

Beto O'Rourke raised $6.1 million during the first 24 hours of his campaign. Next subject.

That still isnt correct. He raised $5.8 million during the first 24 hours of his campaign and then transferred $300k from his previous general election campaign that he was unable to use due to regulations.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #935 on: April 17, 2019, 08:24:39 PM »

Also, Im surprised this wasnt mentioned, but Beto released 10 years of his tax forms on Monday, same day as Sanders:
https://betoorourke.com/tax-returns/

He, um, well he isnt really getting positive news coverage from it.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/17/beto-orourke-tax-returns-1279475
Over Charity Donations too.... Huh
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #936 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2019, 08:53:17 PM by Beto Bro »

That still isnt correct. He raised $5.8 million during the first 24 hours of his campaign and then transferred $300k from his previous general election campaign that he was unable to use due to regulations.
There were donors that gave the maximum amount allowed for the primary and the maximum amount allowed for the general. $300,000 of the money he raised on Day 1 can't be spent unless he wins the nomination. Beto raised $6.1 million in his first 24 hours.

ETA: re: national news appearences, here is a longer quote:

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #937 on: April 17, 2019, 10:13:23 PM »

Bernie Sanders beat Beto O'Rourke in a key fundraising measure

The monster $6.1 million haul that Beto O'Rourke touted in the first day of his presidential campaign included nearly $300,0000 that he can't use for the Democratic nomination fight. Julian Castro, already at the back of the fundraising pack, didn't actually raise a full $1.1 million for the primary. And Amy Klobuchar has more than $572,000 sitting in her campaign's bank account that she only can tap if she wins her party's nod. Lumping in an extra $300,000 into his first-day haul allowed O'Rourke, for instance, to claim a larger first day windfall than rival Sanders, who reported raising $5.9 million in the first 24 hours of his presidential bid. But Sanders, who raised only primary money, has more cash available for the fight at hand, the new figures show.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/politics/beto-orourke-bernie-sanders-q1-white-house-fundraising/index.html

Beto actually raised 0.3M for the general & 5.8M for the primary vs 6.1M that Bernie raised with double the number of donors. He put that 0.3M with his primary figure to boast that he raised more money than Bernie.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #938 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:57 PM »

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/17/democratic-candidates-lobbyist-donations/

Beto, Harris, Booker & others are all raising money from lobbyists despite their pledge. Ofcourse this is not the first time Beto has broken a pledge.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2019, 12:27:13 AM »

Beto, Harris, Booker & others are all raising money from lobbyists despite their pledge. Ofcourse this is not the first time Beto has broken a pledge.

Shhh. Not allowed to talk about that.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2019, 07:00:04 AM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/politics/beto-orourke-charity-trump-tax-returns/index.html
Beto O'Rourke defends paltry charitable contributions by saying he gives his time instead
When Beto O'Rourke released his tax returns this week, one of the most surprising details was how little he and his wife Amy have given to charity -- just $1,166 in 2017, or about 0.3% of their income for the year.

When asked by a voter about his paltry giving during a campaign stop in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Tuesday, O'Rourke replied that his public service is the real contribution.
"I've served in public office since 2005, I do my best to contribute to the success of my community, of my state, and now of my country," O'Rourke said. "There are ways that I do this that are immeasurable and there are ways that I do this that are measurable. There are charities that we donate to that we've recorded and itemized, others that we've donated to that we have not."

He added: "But I'll tell you I'm doing everything I can right now, spending this time with you, not with our kiddos, not back home in El Paso, because I want to sacrifice everything to make sure that meet this moment of truth with everything that we've got."

The man who was born to run for president has spoken. Behold!
SCNCmod

« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »

Complete non-story.  IMO.

"His latest filing, however, shows that he accepted donations from a federal utility-company lobbyist and a top Chevron lobbyist in New Mexico."

First of all- was this from the lobbyist in his individual capacity as a voter ... or on behalf of his lobbying efforts.

2nd-even if on behalf of lobby- this is 1 donation out of almost $10Million .... hardly a "gotcha moment" ... much more likely an oversight.  (why would a candidate only take 1 donation.  If not going to stick to the pledge, Beto would accept from any lobbyist and would have over $20Million by now)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #942 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:23 PM »

Complete non-story.  IMO.

"His latest filing, however, shows that he accepted donations from a federal utility-company lobbyist and a top Chevron lobbyist in New Mexico."

First of all- was this from the lobbyist in his individual capacity as a voter ... or on behalf of his lobbying efforts.

2nd-even if on behalf of lobby- this is 1 donation out of almost $10Million .... hardly a "gotcha moment" ... much more likely an oversight.  (why would a candidate only take 1 donation.  If not going to stick to the pledge, Beto would accept from any lobbyist and would have over $20Million by now)

I thought Beto supporters freely accepted criticism of their candidate. Saying something is a non-story doesn't make it go away.
SCNCmod

« Reply #943 on: April 18, 2019, 08:31:12 PM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/politics/beto-orourke-charity-trump-tax-returns/index.html
Beto O'Rourke defends paltry charitable contributions by saying he gives his time instead
When Beto O'Rourke released his tax returns this week, one of the most surprising details was how little he and his wife Amy have given to charity -- just $1,166 in 2017, or about 0.3% of their income for the year.

When asked by a voter about his paltry giving during a campaign stop in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Tuesday, O'Rourke replied that his public service is the real contribution.
"I've served in public office since 2005, I do my best to contribute to the success of my community, of my state, and now of my country," O'Rourke said. "There are ways that I do this that are immeasurable and there are ways that I do this that are measurable. There are charities that we donate to that we've recorded and itemized, others that we've donated to that we have not."

He added: "But I'll tell you I'm doing everything I can right now, spending this time with you, not with our kiddos, not back home in El Paso, because I want to sacrifice everything to make sure that meet this moment of truth with everything that we've got."

The man who was born to run for president has spoken. Behold!

Anyone running for President could be hired tomorrow, easily, in any number of jobs making over $1 Million in the Private Sector- certainly a charasmatic top tier candidate in their 40s.  So most of these candidates who have chosen Public Service careers, are giving up a lot more money than a
Private Sector Executive who makes $1 Million and gives $500,000 to charity.

And regarding the "born to run" quote ... I think it has been proven pretty decisively that the quote of taken out of context from the original longer conversation it came from ... the convo was something to the effect of finding what feels like your true purpose in life, etc and that serving in public office feeling like the answer to that question- interacting with so many people, public policy, etc etc. (I didn't summarize this very well - but born to run for public office feeling like his purpose ... not Born to Run... for President , as the quote implies.
SCNCmod

« Reply #944 on: April 18, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

Complete non-story.  IMO.

2nd-even if on behalf of lobby- this is 1 donation out of almost $10Million .... hardly a "gotcha moment" ... much more likely an oversight.  (why would a candidate only take 1 donation.  If not going to stick to the pledge, Beto would accept from any lobbyist and would have over $20Million by now)

I thought Beto supporters freely accepted criticism of their candidate. Saying something is a non-story doesn't make it go away.

Apparently this was a lobbyist giving money (under the individual limits) in his/her individual capacity... not on behalf of the organization he/she lobbies for.

Just like people who happen to work in the oil & gas industry should be free to donate to any campaign in their individual capacity, regardless what job they happen to have... An individual who happens to be a lobbyist should also be able to donate to any candidates in their individual capacity, regardless of what job they may have. (and my guess is candidates are not even aware of who their individual donors are... or what job they happen to have).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #945 on: April 19, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »

2nd-even if on behalf of lobby- this is 1 donation out of almost $10Million .... hardly a "gotcha moment" ... much more likely an oversight.  (why would a candidate only take 1 donation.  If not going to stick to the pledge, Beto would accept from any lobbyist and would have over $20Million by now)

Apparently this was a lobbyist giving money (under the individual limits) in his/her individual capacity... not on behalf of the organization he/she lobbies for.

Just like people who happen to work in the oil & gas industry should be free to donate to any campaign in their individual capacity, regardless what job they happen to have... An individual who happens to be a lobbyist should also be able to donate to any candidates in their individual capacity, regardless of what job they may have. (and my guess is candidates are not even aware of who their individual donors are... or what job they happen to have).

Sure, of course it was a personal donation from someone who just happens to work as a lobbyist for the fossil fuels industry. You're not getting any red flags from that at all?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #946 on: April 19, 2019, 07:44:04 AM »

FACTS!

Focus group tested Beto is NOT!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #947 on: April 19, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »

FACTS!

Focus group tested Beto is NOT!

Nah, he just centers his campaign on how much of a technocrat/rich urban liberal he is. Totally different.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #948 on: April 19, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »

It would be fitting for the woke intersectionality crowd to settle on a WASP candidate who projects what they've judged as the right kind of white guilt over more accomplished competitors whose victories would actually matter in terms of representation.

You have a gay mayor, a Jewish Senator, several female Senators, two black Senators, an Asian entrepreneur, a Hispanic Cabinet Secretary, and others. Even Joe Biden of all people at least has a claim to working class roots.

Beto O’Rourke: Notorious Protestant
SCNCmod

« Reply #949 on: April 19, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2019, 11:54:54 AM by SCNCmod »

Sure, of course it was a personal donation from someone who just happens to work as a lobbyist for the fossil fuels industry. You're not getting any red flags from that at all?

Whether you're a teacher, oil rig worker, lobbyist, doctor, lawyer, farmer or small business owner... you should be allowed to support the candidate of your choice by donating in an individual personal capacity, within the individual limits.

I would hope every candidate and every atlas member could agree that every US citizen has the right to donate to a campaign of their choice, in their individual capacity, without being excluded due to their Job.  And again- candidates rarely if ever know who their 100s of thousands of individual contributors are or what jobs they may have.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies