Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:17:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86333 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: March 19, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »

Real question, when are we actually going to see Beto’s policies? Because right now the only indication are his blue dog endorsements (plus half of his support on here is from #bothsides moderate heroes, Republicans, and libertarians). I want to like Beto, but I really need to know what he’s running as first.
I notice you haven't asked where Harris', Klobuchar's, and Mayor Pete's platforms are.  I wonder why that is...

Well I’m not supporting Klobuchar either and haven’t been too impressed with Harris so far, actually. And Buttigieg’s lack of a platform is also holding my opinion of his campaign down.

So nice deflection, but my question still stands.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #626 on: March 19, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »

Real question, when are we actually going to see Beto’s policies? Because right now the only indication are his blue dog endorsements (plus half of his support on here is from #bothsides moderate heroes, Republicans, and libertarians). I want to like Beto, but I really need to know what he’s running as first.
March 31, his official announcement.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #627 on: March 19, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »

Beto is winning the media coverage primary:

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #628 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »

So when Beto initially said he wasn’t supporting Medicare for All as a presidential candidate I was miffed and briefly stopped supporting him because I thought he had nothing in place and would try to negotiate something with obstructionist Republicans. I walked it back when he came out in favor of Medicare for America which was written by Reps. DeLauro and Schakowsky. Medicare for America would move everyone from the ACA Exchange to Medicare, folks (like myself) who are about to age out of their parent’s insurance can join as well as others not insured, and all children born after its enaction would be born into the program. The main difference between this and Bernie’s plan is that people can retain their employer insurance if they so choose. This is much more realistic and puts us on a path to single payer.

The purists will hate it but it is ambitious and will get us to universal coverage. Eliminating all private insurance is unrealistic.

https://slate.com/business/2019/03/beto-orourke-health-plan-medicare-for-all-america.html

I need to find the link but while 81% of Dems would support Medicare for All, 91% support Medicare for America. Bernie supporters who think he can snap his fingers and make all his dreams the law of the land will resist this but Beto’s plan is progressive and attainable.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #629 on: March 19, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »

So when Beto initially said he wasn’t supporting Medicare for All as a presidential candidate I was miffed and briefly stopped supporting him because I thought he had nothing in place and would try to negotiate something with obstructionist Republicans. I walked it back when he came out in favor of Medicare for America which was written by Reps. DeLauro and Schakowsky. Medicare for America would move everyone from the ACA Exchange to Medicare, folks (like myself) who are about to age out of their parent’s insurance can join as well as others not insured, and all children born after its enaction would be born into the program. The main difference between this and Bernie’s plan is that people can retain their employer insurance if they so choose. This is much more realistic and puts us on a path to single payer.

The purists will hate it but it is ambitious and will get us to universal coverage. Eliminating all private insurance is unrealistic.

https://slate.com/business/2019/03/beto-orourke-health-plan-medicare-for-all-america.html

I need to find the link but while 81% of Dems would support Medicare for All, 91% support Medicare for America. Bernie supporters who think he can snap his fingers and make all his dreams the law of the land will resist this but Beto’s plan is progressive and attainable.
So a public option basically?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #630 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »

I love this, actually. Medicare for America is much better than Medicare for All, in that it’s actually attainable. May actually bump Beto up to the #2 slot for me.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #631 on: March 19, 2019, 06:06:45 PM »

Sherrod Brown was just on CNN talking positively about Beto (after they had a phone convo yesterday... Beto apparently called him yesterday to discuss several of Brown's policy initiatives on his way to Michigan & I think Ohio).  Brown said they had a good conversation and he liked him (after talking to him... which I think was his first interaction with Beto). 

That was a really smart move calling Sherrod Brown- and getting on his good side... and getting some policy advice from him.

If Beto can get Brown to support, or even endorse him by the time the first couple of debates roll around, it could be the momentum he needs to break out of the pack. The field is so divided that the support of party figures like Senators Brown, Casey, etc could be enough to elevate candidates into a uneasy first place.

I know Brown is viewed as an "electability" type guy, but he's not gonna endorse somebody who voted to weaken the Volcker rule, if anyone.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #632 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:37 PM »

The only problem is that it shows once again that Democrats are going to the table with a compromise. It's a poor negotiating tactic when the other side isn't on the same page. If you start from a more extreme negotiating position (IE, Medicare for All), then you're more likely to get the things you want in the final bill.

Call me stupid for suggesting this if you want.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #633 on: March 19, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »

The only problem is that it shows once again that Democrats are going to the table with a compromise. It's a poor negotiating tactic when the other side isn't on the same page. If you start from a more extreme negotiating position (IE, Medicare for All), then you're more likely to get the things you want in the final bill.

You're not. I actually would prefer O'Rourke to make this argument. Maybe someone else will on the debate stage.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #634 on: March 19, 2019, 06:37:38 PM »

You're not. I actually would prefer O'Rourke to make this argument. Maybe someone else will on the debate stage.

Exactly. I half expect one of the left-wingers, such as Sanders or Warren, to make this argument themselves.

When the other side is so intent on not compromising, you don't try to go and be on the same stage as them. If it has little chance of getting through Congress, go out and sell the idea to voters. Most Americans support Medicare for All anyway, so go out and sell it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #635 on: March 19, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »

There are already O'Rourke signs around campus, which is, frankly, amazing given how far we are from even the first primaries.

Same with mine.

Its happening.

Several of my friends who were big Sanders supporters back in 2016 appear to have been converted into being Beto supporters. Make of that what you will. Frankly, I was surprised by it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #636 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »

There are already O'Rourke signs around campus, which is, frankly, amazing given how far we are from even the first primaries.

Same with mine.

Its happening.

Several of my friends who were big Sanders supporters back in 2016 appear to have been converted into being Beto supporters. Make of that what you will. Frankly, I was surprised by it.

Not too surprising based on how he handled the crowd at Penn State today and how they loved him.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #637 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »

Same with mine.

Its happening.

Although this is Anecdotal and I take it with a large grain of salt

ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT the average Sanders supporter in 2016 just voted for whoever was the coolest D and not the most liberal as most democrats agree on atleast 80% of the issues.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #638 on: March 19, 2019, 08:00:30 PM »

Same with mine.

Its happening.

Although this is Anecdotal and I take it with a large grain of salt

ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT the average Sanders supporter in 2016 just voted for whoever was the coolest D and not the most liberal as most democrats agree on atleast 80% of the issues.

It is definitely anecdotal, but I keep hearing about how Sanders' support is unflappable from those he won over in 2016. Clearly, that isn't going to be the case in this wider field. But, these friends of mine in particular seemed to be the type that would support him again, and I'm just surprised that they've embraced Beto so easily. Yes, it probably isn't out of some sense of purity like we see on the internet.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #639 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »

Beto O'Rourke in 2012 said the US had an 'extravagant government' that needed 'significant' spending cuts

O'Rourke at the time endorsed cuts to defense and domestic spending in the middle and long term, along with seriously considering changes to Social Security and tax laws that would do away with some tax breaks. Those past positions are at odds with the current and more progressive liberal base of the party that has largely embraced increased government programs like cost-free college and "Medicare for All."

The deficit and national debt are no longer major parts of O'Rourke's political message, and though sometimes light on specifics, he's signaled support for the Green New Deal and, at times, universal health care coverage -- two proposals that would require increased government spending.

The deficit and debt became a lightning rod in the race in which O'Rourke, who had just left the El Paso city council, unseated eight-term incumbent Rep. Silvestre Reyes in the Democratic primary for Texas's 16th district. Republicans, who controlled the House of Representatives at the time in the summer of 2011, had demanded a deficit reduction plan from then-President Barack Obama in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #640 on: March 19, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »

Beto O'Rourke in 2012 said the US had an 'extravagant government' that needed 'significant' spending cuts

O'Rourke at the time endorsed cuts to defense and domestic spending in the middle and long term, along with seriously considering changes to Social Security and tax laws that would do away with some tax breaks. Those past positions are at odds with the current and more progressive liberal base of the party that has largely embraced increased government programs like cost-free college and "Medicare for All."

The deficit and national debt are no longer major parts of O'Rourke's political message, and though sometimes light on specifics, he's signaled support for the Green New Deal and, at times, universal health care coverage -- two proposals that would require increased government spending.

The deficit and debt became a lightning rod in the race in which O'Rourke, who had just left the El Paso city council, unseated eight-term incumbent Rep. Silvestre Reyes in the Democratic primary for Texas's 16th district. Republicans, who controlled the House of Representatives at the time in the summer of 2011, had demanded a deficit reduction plan from then-President Barack Obama in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.

Well, he did decide to cut foreign aid to Ukraine. But he later voted for Trump's bloated military budgets.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #641 on: March 19, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »

Platitudes about "coming together" and "working across the aisle" are pretty commonplace, but I hope that O'Rourke is ready to play hardball if he does win the nomination/election. If he goes into the presidency with the naive idea that he can work with Republicans and bring an end to partisan politics, he's going to get eaten alive.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #642 on: March 19, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »

It is a crap policy vs Single Payer. It is a buy-in which will have little effect on millions of uninsured & underinsured & would continue to encourage a system with huge per capita spending with poor results.

And it will never lead to Universal healthcare which neoliberals don't want anyways. They just should be open & accept it.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #643 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:31 PM »

It is a crap policy vs Single Payer. It is a buy-in which will have little effect on millions of uninsured & underinsured & would continue to encourage a system with huge per capita spending with poor results.

And it will never lead to Universal healthcare which neoliberals don't want anyways. They just should be open & accept it.
Beto Derangement Syndrome is real.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #644 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »

I am Congressman Beto O'Rourke
My aura smiles and never frowns
Soon I will be President
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »

It's not a buy in in the same way a publlic option is AFAIK.

. It would automatically enroll newborns, the elderly, and the uninsured. It would also bar insurance companies from selling policies to individuals that duplicated the government’s coverage, meaning it would largely wipe out the nongroup market as we now know it. However—and this part is key—the bill would permit businesses to continue offering private insurance as a benefit, as long as it was as comprehensive as today’s gold plans. Companies would also have the option of purchasing Medicare for their employees by paying a tax equal to 8 percent of their annual payroll.

Now to be fair, hard single payer is probably better to run on on the campaign trail since it's an easier public sell and would shift the overton spectrum left enough to where something like this proposal would be likely to pass but it's not a bad policy per se. Still, I don't know why Beto is not framing this as a particular version of Medicare for All rather than an alternative. Is he doing it out of pure honesty? Or does he feel the need to run to the center for some reason?
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #646 on: March 19, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »

Baristas to Beto O’Rourke: Come On Man, Get Off Our Counters

Submitted without additional comments.

Edit: Nvm, can’t resist:

💁‍♂️
☕️🔢
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #647 on: March 19, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »

Same with mine.

Its happening.

You can count me among those. Politically speaking, I think I fall between Sanders and Clinton, but I voted and supported Sanders in the primaries. I think Beto has the energy and enthusiasm behind him to beat Trump.

I do think that Medicare For All would cause some problems. I really don’t want to defend insurance companies, but they employ a lot of people and I think it would be a harder sell. I like the opt-in options thrown around though.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #648 on: March 19, 2019, 10:21:33 PM »

Bernbots about to move the goal posts again:

SCNCmod

« Reply #649 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:18 PM »

It is definitely anecdotal, but I keep hearing about how Sanders' support is unflappable from those he won over in 2016. Clearly, that isn't going to be the case in this wider field. But, these friends of mine in particular seemed to be the type that would support him again, and I'm just surprised that they've embraced Beto so easily. Yes, it probably isn't out of some sense of purity like we see on the internet.

I definitely think there will be many of the Under 25 age Bernie Supporters from 2016 that end up supporting Beto.  In 2016 there were no young candidates to choose from... and the only alternative to Hillary was Bernie.  Where as this year there are young candidates... and younger voters are usually particularly drawn to charisma (Of which Beto certainly has the most).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies