WI redistricting (was Wisconsin GOP's obstruction of Tony Evers)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:49:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  WI redistricting (was Wisconsin GOP's obstruction of Tony Evers)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: WI redistricting (was Wisconsin GOP's obstruction of Tony Evers)  (Read 11007 times)
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »

Evers can get plenty of stuff done if he reminds Republicans that Ronald Reagan engaged in bipartisanship. GOP reps will then calmly assess the situation and agree that Evers is correct and engage in a level of bipartisanship not seen since the glorious 90s

I suppose.....
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 02:07:30 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2019, 02:19:26 AM by Scottholes 2.0 »

Tony Evers will be a one term governor that won't be able to get anything done. The GOP could have easily won the election if Scott Walker wasn't the nominee. I expect the state to flip red next gubernatorial election.

I have to respectfully disagree. I honestly thought the "Wisconsin will be gone for Democrats" narrative would die once Tony Evers and Tammy Baldwin won. Apparently I was wrong. I guess Evers had to beat an incumbent by 20 points for Wisconsin to not be considered a lost cause for Democrats.

After awhile, it gets really tiring having to remind people that Wisconsin is a purple state that was close in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections.

I guess WI will always be an R wet dream.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »

Tony Evers will be a one term governor that won't be able to get anything done. The GOP could have easily won the election if Scott Walker wasn't the nominee. I expect the state to flip red next gubernatorial election.

I have to respectfully disagree. I honestly thought the "Wisconsin will be gone for Democrats" narrative would die once Tony Evers and Tammy Baldwin won. Apparently I was wrong. I guess Evers had to beat an incumbent by 20 points for Wisconsin to not be considered a lost cause for Democrats.

After awhile, it gets really tiring having to remind people that Wisconsin is a purple state that was close in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections.

Wisconsin is still a swing state when it comes statewide elections. However, when it comes to congressional elections inside the state the GOP holds a majority in both the House and the Senate.

Yes, the seats are gerrymandered.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »

What are Evers' approval ratings right now ? Considering the GOP-controlled WI State Legislature wants to make life Hell for him.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »

Wisconsin is still a swing state when it comes statewide elections. However, when it comes to congressional elections inside the state the GOP holds a majority in both the House and the Senate.

Yeah, Republicans have more seats in the US House and State Legislature. The map is gerrymandered, though. More votes were cast for house democrats and state house democrats in 2018.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »

What are Evers' approval ratings right now ? Considering the GOP-controlled WI State Legislature wants to make life Hell for him.

According to the recent MU Law School Poll, Evers' approval rating is 41 percent, which was conducted not even a month after I took the oath of office. I expect it to climb a little.
Epaminondas

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »

There aren't words harsh enough for the way Republicans are sabotaging the core tenets of government.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/six-months-after-inauguration-no-confirmation-for-tony-evers-cabinet/article_790d22ff-db75-5452-85e7-d5aaf5adea3a.html
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »

Seriously, watch the highly partisan State Supreme Court limit Evers' veto powers!

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/conservative-group-files-lawsuit-to-limit-tony-evers-veto-power/article_9de9fe35-7895-59bb-96cf-bf2c98d96d4d.html
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2019, 01:43:40 PM »

What is the current partisan lean of the 7 Wisconsin Supreme Court justices?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »

5-2 conservative. I don’t even know why Evers would want to run for a second term after this. I would just go for Senate in 2022 instead since being a Democratic Governor of Wisconsin is pointless
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2019, 01:50:18 PM »

5-2 conservative. I don’t even know why Evers would want to run for a second term after this. I would just go for Senate in 2022 instead since being a Democratic Governor of Wisconsin is pointless
Uh Wisconsin Gov is literally one of the most powerful in the country.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »

Not with the Wisconsin GOP going all tanya Harding on Evers
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »

This makes me pissed about Hagedorn winning
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2019, 05:33:19 PM by Scottholes 2.0 »

Not with the Wisconsin GOP going all tanya Harding on Evers

It is really sad. I am getting ready to leave this damn state BEFORE November 2020!
Epaminondas

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »

It is really sad. I am getting ready to leave this damn state BEFORE November 2020!
Surely the only chance is for Dem voters to stay for Nov 2020?
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »

I suppose.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2019, 05:08:21 AM »

And if Trump squeaks through again, Dem voters still need to be there to try and flip the Senate seat in 2022, 8 years of McConnell would be terrible but 10 years of McConnell would be even worse.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »

He says this after each election, no need to worry.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »

He says this after each election, no need to worry.

"After every election"? I'm pretty sure the SCOTUS Race back in April was the only election in which I have ever said this.
UncleSam

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2019, 05:51:01 PM »

Is there any hint of Evers or the state GOP, you know, trying to govern the state together? Or do they just block each other from doing anything?

Also Wisconsin is a state where geography favors Rs quite heavily. Almost all of the D votes in the state are centered around Milwaukee and Madison. Any fair map would result in Rs getting more seats than they would based on proportional vote share. It is hard to see Dems regaining the majority in Wisconsin barring a huge wave or significant realignment.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »

Is there any hint of Evers or the state GOP, you know, trying to govern the state together? Or do they just block each other from doing anything?

Also Wisconsin is a state where geography favors Rs quite heavily. Almost all of the D votes in the state are centered around Milwaukee and Madison. Any fair map would result in Rs getting more seats than they would based on proportional vote share. It is hard to see Dems regaining the majority in Wisconsin barring a huge wave or significant realignment.

I disagree.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2019, 03:48:02 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2019, 04:03:22 PM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

I disagree.

Ok draw a 4-4 map with minimal splits  and no connecting north Milwaukee county to Kenosha/Racine. Thats a gerrymander.

https://districtr.org/edit

This has 2016 data FYI so you can use this. Wisconsin democrats are horribly self packed.

The only thing that would happen in a fair map is switch WI 1st from Trump +10 to Trump +4 but WI 3 goes to Trump +8 and WI-8 goes to Trump +16. The rest of the map should be more or less the same.
Epaminondas

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2019, 05:00:20 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2019, 08:01:23 PM by Epaminondas »

Let's do one better, 5-3 Dem:

That wasn't hard, was it. Just a time machine to before GOP skulduggery.
Epaminondas

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2019, 09:38:58 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2019, 10:08:52 PM by Epaminondas »

After some practice, here is a fairly clean 6-2 map, using 2016 numbers.
As few county splits as possible, only Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay.

It wants improving, naturally, but it's 7-1 using 2012 numbers - I suspect it could be 8-0 with some tweaking.

Do you still insist that "self-sorting" is to blame?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »

The first map uses the Senate race which is a lopsidedly large Democratic victory and the second map splits Dane county four ways. Indeed, a fair map will be 5-3 Republican, the 3rd was even meant to be a Dem pack to help Republicans win the 7th!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies