Why are Sanders and Warren the most disliked?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:38:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why are Sanders and Warren the most disliked?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are Sanders and Warren the most disliked?  (Read 1488 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2019, 05:32:31 AM »

Among Democrats? They are the only Democrats that consistently poll more than 20% unfavorability while the other candidates usually have less than 10%. I don't get it, especially after 2016.
Biden Stans Are Cringelords
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:35:00 AM »

Corporate media doing it's job.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:53:19 AM »

They along with Biden have the highest name ID.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 06:09:12 AM »

I'm not entirely sure why Warren would be heavily disliked among the left, perhaps it was how she handled the DNA test but honestly that's just spitballing.

It's fairly obvious why Sanders has a higher disapproval rating- As an Independent, his interests were often at odds with the democratic party, and many on the left assign blame to him for causing Hillary to lose.

That's not entirely without merit-he stayed in the primaries for months after it was obvious that he wasn't going to win the nomination, particularly after he got stomped in NY, and losing MA and PA as well.  His goal (according to Shattered, an excellent read btw)was to have as much leverage as possible to change HRC's platform into something more progressive and less establishment dem.  He also characterized HRC as "corrupt" and "untrustworthy" no doubt helping the right.

Also, his time in the political spotlight has passed.  Unlike Warren, I don't think he's a viable 2020 candidate as far as the primaries go, and he'll be 79 on election day.  Warren, who will already be 71 then knows that this is her last, best chance at the presidency after considering it a few years back.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:21:02 AM »

I despise Sanders because he represents and empowers a wing of the party that is not unlike Trump's base at all. Casually racist, misogynist, opposed to all identity politics unless its the White Working ClassTM. Sanders himself wrote creepy essays about how women enjoy being raped, he was a drift less freeloader until he got elected mayor at age 30. And he absolutely damaged our chances going into 2016. The primary was over Super Tuesday and he should have dropped out then. While his supporters were protesting Hillary at the convention, he sat there with a smirk on his face and then said "look, just look at Trump. He's bad, okay? We can't let him win." (not the east quote) That was his endorsement of Hillary.

Warren, I don't know. She just comes off as silly to me. She signed onto all of Sander's / AOC's meme legislation like M4A and the GND. Her political instincts are virtually non-existent. Some claim she has policy chops, but I disagree. I wouldn't say I disapprove of her, but she's not a serious contender for me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:32:38 AM »

I despise Sanders because he represents and empowers a wing of the party that is not unlike Trump's base at all. Casually racist, misogynist, opposed to all identity politics unless its the White Working ClassTM. Sanders himself wrote creepy essays about how women enjoy being raped, he was a drift less freeloader until he got elected mayor at age 30. And he absolutely damaged our chances going into 2016. The primary was over Super Tuesday and he should have dropped out then. While his supporters were protesting Hillary at the convention, he sat there with a smirk on his face and then said "look, just look at Trump. He's bad, okay? We can't let him win." (not the east quote) That was his endorsement of Hillary.

Warren, I don't know. She just comes off as silly to me. She signed onto all of Sander's / AOC's meme legislation like M4A and the GND. Her political instincts are virtually non-existent. Some claim she has policy chops, but I disagree. I wouldn't say I disapprove of her, but she's not a serious contender for me.

Really?

Didn't know I was a racist woman-hater. Make sure to tell his black and female supporters that while you're at it.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:16 AM »

I don't dislike Sanders. He had every right to stay in the race until the end in 2016 - infact Hillary did the same in 2008. What I strongly disliked was Sanders effectively boosting the narrative that Hillary was corrupt, which depressed the democratic vote in 2016 and effectively cost Hillary the election. But things happen in the heat of the moment and he did support Hillary strongly after the convention and through the entire general election season. My gripe today is not with him but with his most ardent supporters who would rather have Trump than Hillary.

I don't dislike Warren at all. Infact, I like her a lot and she was my pick for Hillarys VO candidate in 2016 (I still believe this would have been the correct choice). I just happen to think that she would be a pretty terrible top-of-the-ticket candidate. Still a good VP pick, especially if the nominee is viewed with scepticism by the left.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 07:40:59 AM »

I don't dislike Sanders. He had every right to stay in the race until the end in 2016 - infact Hillary did the same in 2008. What I strongly disliked was Sanders effectively boosting the narrative that Hillary was corrupt, which depressed the democratic vote in 2016 and effectively cost Hillary the election. But things happen in the heat of the moment and he did support Hillary strongly after the convention and through the entire general election season. My gripe today is not with him but with his most ardent supporters who would rather have Trump than Hillary.

I don't dislike Warren at all. Infact, I like her a lot and she was my pick for Hillarys VO candidate in 2016 (I still believe this would have been the correct choice). I just happen to think that she would be a pretty terrible top-of-the-ticket candidate. Still a good VP pick, especially if the nominee is viewed with scepticism by the left.

Except the race was actually competitive in 2008. Sanders lost on Super Tuesday; Hillary still could've won.

Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »

Really?

Didn't know I was a racist woman-hater. Make sure to tell his black and female supporters that while you're at it.

You have every right to support him, and I'm not saying that's representative of you, but it is what I've found the larger "Sanders bloc" to be like.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 10:31:07 AM »

A large part of Sanders' base is really obnoxious and cultish.

People are concerned about electability, re: Warren.
Biden Stans Are Cringelords
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »

Except the race was actually competitive in 2008. Sanders lost on Super Tuesday; Hillary still could've won.

But Bernie got into the race to spread a specific message, he didn't expect to become competitive. His initial reason for getting in was still relevant after Super Tuesday.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 11:36:34 AM »

They are only disliked among political nerds and clueless pundit land. For the 90% of voters that will actually detetmine the election....most have no strong opinion of either and are totally malleable until they hear them talk.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »

For Sanders, its mostly due to the divisiveness that surrounds him. While he himself is not really that divisive, his supporters and detractors are. As we all know, there are some pretty fanatical Bernie Supporters, but his detractors are just as, perhaps even more fanatical. This causes people to take a side, you are either with Sanders, or not, and so, more people are going to dislike him due to this tribalism that forms.

For Warren, it has a lot to do with how shes handled everything so far. Her DNA scandal is a big cause of this. When there are constant headlines about how Warren put down Native American on a job description, it doesnt conjure up a positive picture.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »

I despise Sanders because he represents and empowers a wing of the party that is not unlike Trump's base at all. Casually racist, misogynist, opposed to all identity politics unless its the White Working ClassTM.

This is a total lie.  Bernie supporters were less racist than Hillary supporters
https://boingboing.net/2016/07/04/sanders-supporters-are-the-lea.html
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »

Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »

I despise Sanders because he represents and empowers a wing of the party that is not unlike Trump's base at all. Casually racist, misogynist, opposed to all identity politics unless its the White Working ClassTM.

This is a total lie.  Bernie supporters were less racist than Hillary supporters

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 06:02:26 PM »

Really?

You have every right to support him, and I'm not saying that's representative of you, but it is what I've found the larger "Sanders bloc" to be like.

You literally said that Sanders supporters were racist and sexist. Don't bother denying it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »

I like how Bernie supporters are racist has turned into someone on twitter says that Bernie didn't answer some question about Latin America.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »

Due to fact they live in Northeast, MA and VT arent ethnically diverse enough.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »

Because they have the audacity to criticize the Democratic establishment, which is obviously the real reason Democrats lost in 2016 and the only way that they can possibly lose in 2020.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »

Yeah that Bernie is really encouraging racism by *checks notes* “legalizing marijuana and ending the war on drugs which was disproportionately harmful for minority communities”
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »

They represent a specific faction within the Democratic party that is outside the mainstream. It's hardly surprising some people don't like it.

I like both reasonably well as people although Bernie's supporters are often among the most annoying people there are. I don't agree with them very much on the issues.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 07:28:33 PM »

I think it's in part because Warren and Sanders are perceived as GE losers moreso than anything they said or did, at least amongst Democrats.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »

I don't think that's true. Tulsi Gabbard is probably the most objectively disliked of the 2020 contenders so far.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »

I don't think that's true. Tulsi Gabbard is probably the most objectively disliked of the 2020 contenders so far.

The title of this thread should be:  ''Why are Sanders and Warren the most disliked by people who obsessively follow politics?''

The actual voters who determine the outcome of elections dont feel all that strongly about any of the candidates and just vote for short term circumstantial reasons
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies