Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:59:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 65
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 117548 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: May 23, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »

Biden slurring again this time in his own video from his campaign (at 32 seconds and 36). If he's slurring his words throughout the debate next month especially standing next to younger candidates I just can't see how he maintains his support.

Yikes!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1226 on: May 23, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

I am not pleased to keep seeing Biden's slurring. Some of the best ammunition that the GOP can levy at Biden is based around fear-mongering about his age or health, even at it would typically be completely overblown. People will buy into it, guaranteed. In my opinion, this is his biggest liability, even more than his gaffes or voting record.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1227 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »

Honestly, this is far from the worst I have seen. He can probably get away with slurring a word occasionally.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1228 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

This happens to everyone. Yesterday I called a tow truck a "toll truck" by accident despite knowing exactly what I meant to say. The words just came out of my mouth wrong.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1229 on: May 23, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »

Jesus Christ combing through his videos looking for proof of his old age is like QAnon level pathetic.

I'm a 26 year old man and I slur my speech, misspeak, and do accidental spoonerisms all the time when I'm sober. It's just a habit.

Seriously, it's not hard to find legit stuff to drag Biden on. Stick to that and leave the petty conspiracy/stroke truther sh**t to the Republicans.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1230 on: May 24, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »

Biden slurring again this time in his own video from his campaign (at 32 seconds and 36). If he's slurring his words throughout the debate next month especially standing next to younger candidates I just can't see how he maintains his support.

The thing is, most people supporting Biden aren't going to care about this, unless it somehow starts to hurt his "most electable" narrative. It seems that as long as people believe that narrative, they're willing to excuse just about anything.

Yeah. Biden himself said it's legitimate to ask questions on his age and stated he would release medical records if he ends up as the nominee. And even if something happens after he's elected (I hope not of course), what's a vice president for? He'll make a good pick like Kamala.

I have no idea what this fixation is on a Biden/Harris ticket. She doesn't bring anything helpful at all to the ticket. Duckworth would be far better.

Cynical grab at the black vote while making Arizona easier to flip.
Higgins
« Reply #1231 on: May 24, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »

Yikes!

I'm 28 years old, so I would say a young man, and even I, in the midst of making a statement sometimes slip over my own tongue in much the same manner. It has less to do with age and more to do with being human. God forbid we elect such a fallible beast, dear Bernie Bro.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1232 on: May 24, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »

People always say that someone is slurring their words, to discredit them. No one said this, when he was beating Sarah Palin in the debate in 2008
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1233 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »

Yikes!

I'm 28 years old, so I would say a young man, and even I, in the midst of making a statement sometimes slip over my own tongue in much the same manner. It has less to do with age and more to do with being human. God forbid we elect such a fallible beast, dear Bernie Bro.

Jesus Christ combing through his videos looking for proof of his old age is like QAnon level pathetic.

I'm a 26 year old man and I slur my speech, misspeak, and do accidental spoonerisms all the time when I'm sober. It's just a habit.

Seriously, it's not hard to find legit stuff to drag Biden on. Stick to that and leave the petty conspiracy/stroke truther sh**t to the Republicans.

I'm not saying that it's rational or even an accurate characterization of Biden's mental or physical state, but the Republicans are sure to try and make that the case to voters.

People always say that someone is slurring their words, to discredit them. No one said this, when he was beating Sarah Palin in the debate in 2008

He was also 11 years younger then.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1234 on: May 24, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

[/quote]

That's why picking Tim Ryan or Bullock, especially Tim Ryan will make sense.  Just like Obama youth made Biden look younger, Tim Ryan will make Biden more attractive to voters.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1235 on: May 25, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »

That's why picking Tim Ryan or Bullock, especially Tim Ryan will make sense.  Just like Obama youth made Biden look younger, Tim Ryan will make Biden more attractive to voters.
[/quote]

Without a doubt whomever he chooses as his running mate will be quite a bit younger than him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1236 on: May 25, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »

Dems need to put pressure on Trump in OH, that will take the heat off of Dems having a must-win in WI.
Winning OH,IA and VA will help Dems in 2022.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1237 on: May 26, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »

[/quote]

I hope you're joking. If Biden picks 2020's version of Tim Kaine, it hurts him significantly. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1238 on: May 26, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »

Tim Kaine didn't meet expectations, Perez would have been better.  I say Bullock, but who knows, that's not until after March, 2020.
Higgins
« Reply #1239 on: May 26, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »

Tim Kaine was probably the least inspiring running mate in recent memory, with perhaps Joe Lieberman and Dan Quayle as company, and at least Quayle was good for a laugh.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1240 on: May 26, 2019, 04:03:27 PM »

Tim Kaine was probably the least inspiring running mate in recent memory, with perhaps Joe Lieberman and Dan Quayle as company, and at least Quayle was good for a laugh.

The old adage was do no harm, which Kaine and Pence at least met. They are both low energy guys though and their debate put me to sleep.
Higgins
« Reply #1241 on: May 26, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »

The old adage was do no harm, which Kaine and Pence at least met. They are both low energy guys though and their debate put me to sleep.

I'd argue Kaine DID do harm, though, to her ticket anyway:

1) There was something very off-putting about him

2) He added nothing of value to the ticket in any way, and actually harmed it by being 1) a nobody politican with zero charisma 2) a moderate when Hillary needed a progressive to balance the ticket. His pick I am certain hurt enthusiasm and also helped progressives decide to stay home, because she didn't even bother throwing them a bone after the bitter primary race.

3) He came off in the debate as childish, immature and catty.

Pence, while being abhorrent in his views, added to Trump's ticket:

1) He brought genuine conservative views and credibility to a questionable (from a conservative GOPhers POV) ticket. He was the staunch religious conservative the base needed to feel truly safe with Trump's populism. While he didn't EXCITE anyone, he did at least bring unity to the ticket. The Ted Cruz/Jeb type voters had a running mate they could call their own. What did Kaine, on the other hand, do for the Bernie voters?

2) He was charismatic during the debates, and proved to be capable in that realm. He was the, pardon the pun, 'straight man' to Trump's inanity, the real mature conservative in the room essentially on that ticket. He as such balanced out, to a degree, Trump's weaknesses and lack of real policy.

Kaine...I can't remember a single thing he offered that gave me any hope, optimism, or...anything. I tend to respect running mates even if I disagree with them: Biden was a terrific pick for Obama, Cheney was a master stroke, Bush Sr. was essentially the 1980 version of Pence in terms of dynamics (IE, a moderate to balance Reagan's conservatism and appease the questioning side of the party), etc. Palin was a disaster, Lieberman was the guy who basically epitomized the most droll and banal aspects of 1990s politics, and Quayle was a moron. Kaine is just above those in terms of bad picks in the past 50 or so years.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1242 on: May 26, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »

Tim Ryan or Steve Bullock will look presidential against Mike Pence.  Not Harris or Warren. Jon Tester who is the kingmaker, in politics today, would rather see Bullock or Ryan on the Biden ticket.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1243 on: May 26, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »

Kaine's debate performance was fine. His problem was that the Clinton campaign's performative admiration of the political media made it impossible for them to push back on their insane coverage of Pence's "charisma," which here only indicates telling lie after lie with a straight and reassuringly symmetrical face.

Coverage of the VP debate was nothing short of a nationally orchestrated character assassination. Every Clinton surrogate in the country should have been shouting into microphones about the savage pack of pimps and pushers in the lügenpresse for the rest of that week. Instead they conceded the debate as if it had actually been a loss. The absolute shame of it!

Republicans shouldn't have a monopoly on calling out the pack of corporate whores, low-brow entertainers, and professional propagandists who masquerade as a political press corps. They really are an enemy of the people - Democratic people no less than Republicans.

I mostly agree with you here, but the Vice Presidential debate was one of the least relevant aspects to have affected that election. That had news coverage for maybe a day, at most.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1244 on: May 26, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »

Edwards, Lieberman, Palin: VEEPS, all hurt the ticket, Clinton ethics was the downfall of her campaign. But, the VEEP debate, didn't help her campaign.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1245 on: May 26, 2019, 11:20:51 PM »

So far at least, Biden is spending most of his time at fundraisers rather than campaigning:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/joe-bidens-campaign-of-limited-exposure-how-long-can-he-keep-it-up/2019/05/26/dcc045e4-7e2e-11e9-8bb7-0fc796cf2ec0_story.html

Aside from a campaign swing right after announcing his candidacy, Biden has kept his head down while his rivals rush from state to state to state. Even when he has held public events, they have included only a handful of questions from voters or reporters.

The light public schedule reflects the unique position of his campaign, advisers say: With near universal name recognition and high favorability ratings among Democrats, the former vice president does not need to introduce himself to voters like nearly every other candidate. And as the leader in early polls, he can attract media attention without splashy events.
Since entering the race four weeks ago, Biden has held 11 public events, according to his campaign. Former congressman Beto O’Rourke of Texas held nearly four times that number in the same period, according to schedules. And Gillibrand, who is lagging in the polls, planned 11 stops in Iowa just over the holiday weekend.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has shown her face to the public at 27 events in the four weeks since Biden entered the race. Booker has had at least 27 events scheduled in the same time span, and Sanders has had at least 17 announced engagements.

And with the exception of O’Rourke — and unlike Biden — all of those candidates have full-time jobs in the Senate that keep them tethered to Washington most weeks.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1246 on: May 26, 2019, 11:36:47 PM »

So far at least, Biden is spending most of his time at fundraisers rather than campaigning:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/joe-bidens-campaign-of-limited-exposure-how-long-can-he-keep-it-up/2019/05/26/dcc045e4-7e2e-11e9-8bb7-0fc796cf2ec0_story.html

Aside from a campaign swing right after announcing his candidacy, Biden has kept his head down while his rivals rush from state to state to state. Even when he has held public events, they have included only a handful of questions from voters or reporters.

The light public schedule reflects the unique position of his campaign, advisers say: With near universal name recognition and high favorability ratings among Democrats, the former vice president does not need to introduce himself to voters like nearly every other candidate. And as the leader in early polls, he can attract media attention without splashy events.
Since entering the race four weeks ago, Biden has held 11 public events, according to his campaign. Former congressman Beto O’Rourke of Texas held nearly four times that number in the same period, according to schedules. And Gillibrand, who is lagging in the polls, planned 11 stops in Iowa just over the holiday weekend.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has shown her face to the public at 27 events in the four weeks since Biden entered the race. Booker has had at least 27 events scheduled in the same time span, and Sanders has had at least 17 announced engagements.

And with the exception of O’Rourke — and unlike Biden — all of those candidates have full-time jobs in the Senate that keep them tethered to Washington most weeks.

Wouldn't this indicate he's very confident in his standing, at least as of right now?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1247 on: May 27, 2019, 12:47:51 AM »

Wouldn't this indicate he's very confident in his standing, at least as of right now?

There's a very fine distinction between confidence and complacency.  He better start stepping up his game soon, or he is going to find his support is as shallow as it is broad.  
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1248 on: May 27, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »

I just don't think he's up to the rigors of a campaign these days and thus not electable, we don't need a nominee who has to nap half of the day.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1249 on: May 27, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »

I just don't think he's up to the rigors of a campaign these days and thus not electable, we don't need a nominee who has to nap half of the day.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but what evidence do we have that's the case?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 65  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies