Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:31:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 65
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 117316 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: May 02, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »

looks like Biden is caught up in a scandal already, it's crazy how similar this all is to Hillary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/us/politics/biden-son-ukraine.html

You do realize Rudy Giuliani is only like one or two rungs above Jacob Wohl on the credibility ladder, right?  For those who haven't read the article [titled "Biden Faces Conflict of Interest Questions that are Being Promoted by Trump and Allies"] Giuliani [who is quite frequently quoted in the article] is the primary person trying to push this apparent nothing-burger (barring some sort of major new development not mentioned in the article) claim about Biden.  One would have hoped folks would know by now that Giuliani's claims should be treated with considerable skepticism (to say the least) and he's clearly the main source for this article.

Also, Ukraine was being pressured to fire its Prosecutor General because he apparently had a history of ignoring corruption by his Ukrainian political allies.  Biden wasn't just going off and privately pushing Ukraine to fire its Prosecutor General, the Obama administration, The International Monetary Fund, and The World Bank (among others) were all calling for the guy to be fired (according to the linked article).  In other words, it had nothing to do with Joe Biden or his son.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 12:05:53 PM by Yank2133 »

Some of you need to get off the internet if you think Biden is “bombing”.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #877 on: May 02, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 11:35:24 AM by Liz or Leave »

Don’t many Iowa voters view China as a job stealer?

Also, don’t most economists agree we are an economic foe of China?

Regardless of whether he is right or wrong, this might not be the best thing to say in a wwc state
China is one of the top buyers of American agricultural products, so many people in a state like Iowa are going to want stable economic terms with them.

First half of that statement is definitely true but the conclusion isn't. Candidates have been playing up competition with China for decades now and most of them came up fine - Trump, Obama, (Bill Clinton).

As an example, farmers stood to benefit the most from TPP and still voted overwhelmingly for Trump (and Sanders for that matter).

It is worth noting though that Iowa's ties with China are so strong it's the main reason why Branstad is ambassador to China.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #878 on: May 02, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »

Jesus... how can people be proud to support this guy?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #879 on: May 02, 2019, 02:13:15 PM »

Jesus... how can people be proud to support this guy?

Well, I disagree with him on this. Cheney is a warmonger. I would be ok if he said Dubya. He was a terrible president, but is a decent guy.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #880 on: May 02, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

Biden is going to try and win "the middle" and lose everybody else. I said before that his campaign was anachronistic and he's not proving me wrong. This ain't it Joe. This is not what the Democratic base is looking for. He's been in Washington D.C. too long.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #881 on: May 02, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »

Biden is going to try and win "the middle" and lose everybody else. I said before that his campaign was anachronistic and he's not proving me wrong. This ain't it Joe. This is not what the Democratic base is looking for. He's been in Washington D.C. too long.

Looking at polling, this is exactly what the Democratic base is looking for.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #882 on: May 02, 2019, 02:26:02 PM »

Naw bro, give it a few more weeks of statements like this and you'll see it isn't.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #883 on: May 02, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »

Naw bro, give it a few more weeks of statements like this and you'll see it isn't.

Atlas/twitter are not going to make it through this primary with their sanity. The base doesn't care about statements like this.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #884 on: May 02, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 02:59:59 PM by Russian Bear »

Don’t many Iowa voters view China as a job stealer?

Also, don’t most economists agree we are an economic foe of China?

Regardless of whether he is right or wrong, this might not be the best thing to say in a wwc state
China is one of the top buyers of American agricultural products, so many people in a state like Iowa are going to want stable economic terms with them.

We need to get along with China. It's a good thing, not a bad thing   Pacman

Russians will obviously help Trump again, so it's smart to cajole the Chinese hackers. Whose hackers are best?!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #885 on: May 02, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »

I get that this is the talking point people like to make, and it may be what a certain percentage of Democrats want, but I'd caution against making too much of polling right now, and note that plenty of Democrats want someone further left. It's not like the overwhelming majority of Democrats are centrist.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #886 on: May 02, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »

I get that this is the talking point people like to make, and it may be what a certain percentage of Democrats want, but I'd caution against making too much of polling right now, and note that plenty of Democrats want someone further left. It's not like the overwhelming majority of Democrats are centrist.

I am not talking about Biden's polling.

There have been polls released the last couple of months pointing to the base being more moderate (really in name only IMO) then some on the left think. On top of that, it is not like Biden is running on a 90's DLC centrist platform.

Hell, I don't even support Biden. But leftie outcry to everything he says and does is tiresome.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #887 on: May 02, 2019, 05:05:21 PM »

looks like Biden is caught up in a scandal already, it's crazy how similar this all is to Hillary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/us/politics/biden-son-ukraine.html

Wow.

t was a foreign policy role Joseph R. Biden Jr. enthusiastically embraced during his vice presidency: browbeating Ukraine’s notoriously corrupt government to clean up its act. And one of his most memorable performances came on a trip to Kiev in March 2016, when he threatened to withhold $1 billion in United States loan guarantees if Ukraine’s leaders did not dismiss the country’s top prosecutor, who had been accused of turning a blind eye to corruption in his own office and among the political elite.

Hunter Biden was a Yale-educated lawyer who had served on the boards of Amtrak and a number of nonprofit organizations and think tanks, but lacked any experience in Ukraine and just months earlier had been discharged from the Navy Reserve after testing positive for cocaine. He would be paid as much as $50,000 per month in some months for his work for the company, Burisma Holdings.

What would Democrats say if Trump/Pence forced out the Attorney General of, for example, Saudi Arabia while Jared's business was investigated by the fired AG? Can you imagine what MSM would be doing right now? Instead NyT is spinning it as duh Giuliani's smear and "yielding coverage in conservative media" duh.

The broad outlines of how the Bidens’ roles intersected in Ukraine have been known for some time. The former vice president’s campaign said that he had always acted to carry out United States policy without regard to any activities of his son, that he had never discussed the matter with Hunter Biden and that he learned of his son’s role with the Ukrainian energy company from news reports.
"Known for some time"
"without regard to any activities of his son"
"learned from news reports"

Imagine Trump defending like that. He'd be eaten alive by media. Scrutinized. It'd be a STORY known by EVERYBODY. But since we're talking about when-they-go-low-we-go-high Obama's pal, it is just a story "known for some time". Media, The Opposition Party...

With that said, it will NOT hurt Biden...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #888 on: May 02, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »

Oh not this stupid thing again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #889 on: May 02, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »

Biden is a presumptive nominee, he will bleed support other than this
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #890 on: May 02, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »

Like I've said, Biden has zero chance and is overhyped to hell. We need to nominate literally anyone but him.

Someone with an Atlas username that says Yang2020, is talking about other candidates having "zero chance."
K.
(The real question is which blue avatar created this sock account for trolling purposes.)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #891 on: May 02, 2019, 11:04:31 PM »

Hoping for a biden collapse but I'm not confident....Welcome to America, where people say they want single payer and then say in the same questionnaire that they will vote for JOE BIDEN b/c he's from SCRANTON and he's the ONLY ONE who can beat trump(which is bogus)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #892 on: May 02, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »

There have been polls released the last couple of months pointing to the base being more moderate (really in name only IMO) then some on the left think. On top of that, it is not like Biden is running on a 90's DLC centrist platform.

Hell, I don't even support Biden. But leftie outcry to everything he says and does is tiresome.

Yeah, the boo boohing is getting real old real quick and I say that as someone who does not support Biden.

It's clear Democrats are prioritizing who they think has the best chance of beating Trump over everything else. Someone else in the field will have to convince the bulk of Democratic primary voters that they are better suited to beat Trump and only then will Biden really slip. A senior citizen moment slip up by Biden could very well do that, but things like this video will not.

Exactly.

The hilarious thing about this is that the old man (Biden) gets this, while everyone else seems to be chasing the progressive vote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #893 on: May 02, 2019, 11:26:19 PM »

Biden negotiated behind the scenes as Prez of Senate when he was Veep. Also, he helped, as Veep, to kill Bin Laden.  That's why experience matter.
Yang2020
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -2.09

« Reply #894 on: May 03, 2019, 12:32:56 AM »

Does Biden have autism or Asperger's or something? Why would he say something like this?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/biden-brags-about-his-time-in-the-hood
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #895 on: May 03, 2019, 12:48:04 AM »

Does Biden have autism or Asperger's or something? Why would he say something like this?

...Why on Earth do people think that a candidate saying dumb, offensive, or even contradictory things is a problem?

Our current president both said he wanted to raise the minimum wage to $10 and that the minimum wage was too high and should be lowered. He said that there should be legal consequences for women who have abortions, then backed off like the following day.

Our President said he loved Hispanics while posing with a disgusting taco bowl. Why on Earth would Biden talking about helping women in "the hood" learn how to code be an issue?

Gaffes aren't a thing anymore.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #896 on: May 03, 2019, 12:53:43 AM »

I don't nessecarily have a problem with this, or at least I wouldn't if it came from someone who I felt genuinely cared about social justice.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #897 on: May 03, 2019, 12:55:04 AM »

Yeah, the boo boohing is getting real old real quick and I say that as someone who does not support Biden.

It's clear Democrats are prioritizing who they think has the best chance of beating Trump over everything else. Someone else in the field will have to convince the bulk of Democratic primary voters that they are better suited to beat Trump and only then will Biden really slip. A senior citizen moment slip up by Biden could very well do that, but things like this video will not.

Exactly.

The hilarious thing about this is that the old man (Biden) gets this, while everyone else seems to be chasing the progressive vote.

I guess 2004 was too long ago for these people.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #898 on: May 03, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »

Deeply ironic given the username tbqh
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #899 on: May 03, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

Just like the anti-war base of 2004 totes wanted someone that voted for the Great Big Lie. Just like The Tea Party totes wanted a Blue-state Gov that pretty much set up the healthcare system they whined about like idiots in the first place. Or how they wanted a dullard WWII vet with a record of moderation and bipartisanship.

These were all shown greatly when the base really came out in droves and defeated...George Bush, Barack Obama, and Bill Clinton.

...Oh wait.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 65  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies