Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:08:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 30925 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 12, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »

if she does poorly in nevada (i.e. no delegates) she should probably drop out, or else she actually ironically hurts the chances of a moderate winning the nomination

Given Warren and Biden are toast, I submit that buttigieg is simply not electable, why should she be the one to drop out are you saying we should rally around Bloomberg?
i said if she does poorly in nevada. in that case her momentum is halted and staying in the race while having single digit support would just take away from the rest of the more viable moderates. she also has no minority support when we're already multiple states in. i'm simply saying that for the moderate wing of the party, it would be in their best interests to rally around a candidate before bernie starts running away with the nomination

My point Remains the Same even if she does poorly in Nevada. At that point Warren and Biden are toast more than ever, buttigieg still remains unelectable in November, and that leaves us by my count.... Bloomberg?

So my question Remains the Same.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #401 on: February 12, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »

if she does poorly in nevada (i.e. no delegates) she should probably drop out, or else she actually ironically hurts the chances of a moderate winning the nomination

Given Warren and Biden are toast, I submit that buttigieg is simply not electable, why should she be the one to drop out are you saying we should rally around Bloomberg?
i said if she does poorly in nevada. in that case her momentum is halted and staying in the race while having single digit support would just take away from the rest of the more viable moderates. she also has no minority support when we're already multiple states in. i'm simply saying that for the moderate wing of the party, it would be in their best interests to rally around a candidate before bernie starts running away with the nomination

My point Remains the Same even if she does poorly in Nevada. At that point Warren and Biden are toast more than ever, buttigieg still remains unelectable in November, and that leaves us by my count.... Bloomberg?

I prefer Amy to Buttigieg in part because of her electability (and her experience and her platform), but I question where "unelectable" comes from in relation to Pete? Results suggest that he did pretty well both in the suburbs and Obama-Trump areas. The NH exit polls showed him with a pretty broad coalition across ages and education levels.
Fargobison

« Reply #402 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »

She is 100% in until MN votes on Super Tuesday.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #403 on: February 12, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »

I mean, I’d argue Pete’s the most electable candidate and Klobouchar’s electability is highly overrated at best, but here’s what I’ll say: Ohio votes after Super Tuesday, right?  Why not hold off making a decision between Pete and Klobouchar until after Super Tuesday?  If Pete can’t make inroads with Hispanics or African-Americans by then, he’s screwed anyway.  Klobuchar even more so because she lacks his national organization.  Why not see who is more viable after Super Tuesday?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #404 on: February 12, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »

I mean, I’d argue Pete’s the most electable candidate and Klobouchar’s electability is highly overrated at best, but here’s what I’ll say: Ohio votes after Super Tuesday, right?  Why not hold off making a decision between Pete and Klobouchar until after Super Tuesday?  If Pete can’t make inroads with Hispanics or African-Americans by then, he’s screwed anyway.  Klobuchar even more so because she lacks his national organization.  Why not see who is more viable after Super Tuesday?
because at that point it won't matter, nearly 40% of the country's delegates will have been awarded. bernie has effectively consolidated the progressive vote with warren's decline, while the moderate vote is all over the place. he's likely to win nevada, which could snowball into SC and absolutely into ST
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #405 on: February 12, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »

I prefer Amy to Buttigieg in part because of her electability (and her experience and her platform), but I question where "unelectable" comes from in relation to Pete? Results suggest that he did pretty well both in the suburbs and Obama-Trump areas. The NH exit polls showed him with a pretty broad coalition across ages and education levels.

Among DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY VOTERS. Trying to translate search results into determining one's electability in November determines exactly zilch.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #406 on: February 12, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »

If she were to somehow make some quick and large inroads with the black community I think she could become the new mainstream favorite, after last night, to compete against Sanders. That's not going to happen though.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #407 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »

I will start to seriously consider Klob

Because I will support anybody (save Xerox Mike) to beat Pete
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #408 on: February 12, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »

When i look up news videos of the candidates to get a feeling for what they are saying, all i am getting on CNN and MSNBC is Petey B.

And surprisingly, Elizabeth Warren looks like a favoured daughter of the media. She gets a lot of coverage.

But Amy is nowhere to be seen. Need more of that front of the website 'free' airtime to survive. Chris Matthews from MSNBC loves her, so she needs to get on that panel.

And then there is this lonely old guy who comes across like an angry Larry David lookalike.

That changed a lot recently. Klobuchar is getting the media attention now and they almost didn't talk about Warren. Even in the debates, Warren got some of the least amount of time.

I could only find one:

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/amy-klobuchar-headed-for-third-place-in-new-hampshire-touts-support-of-moderates-independents-78594629957

And I looked for a long time.

These videos are important for the other US states to look at the candidates.

Most of the videos were:

1. Sanders getting really angry (about Trump) like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings;
2. 10 videos of Mayor Pete with a great smile and talking about the future and how positive it is;
3. Elizabeth Warren telling the National audience that she took broke students last $3 followed by the comment "That is what we have to do";
4. Biden saying that he is still in the race, but looking ready to lie down and go to sleep.

I actually do want to hear what she has to say. I want to discover what it is about here that has caused the latest acceleration in her chances.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2020, 08:44:45 PM »

because at that point it won't matter, nearly 40% of the country's delegates will have been awarded. bernie has effectively consolidated the progressive vote with warren's decline, while the moderate vote is all over the place. he's likely to win nevada, which could snowball into SC and absolutely into ST

Okay, but again, that fails to answer my question. At the risk of derailing this thread, who is this mythical moderate uniter candidate that Klobuchar should be withdrawing in favor of? Dead in the Water Biden or Warren? Unelectable Pete? Or the multi-billionaire who backed George W bush for president?

If, and I emphasize if, one accepts the theory that moderates should unite around a single candidate to stop Bernie, who is realistically better than Amy Klobuchar?
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »

When i look up news videos of the candidates to get a feeling for what they are saying, all i am getting on CNN and MSNBC is Petey B.

And surprisingly, Elizabeth Warren looks like a favoured daughter of the media. She gets a lot of coverage.

But Amy is nowhere to be seen. Need more of that front of the website 'free' airtime to survive. Chris Matthews from MSNBC loves her, so she needs to get on that panel.

And then there is this lonely old guy who comes across like an angry Larry David lookalike.

That changed a lot recently. Klobuchar is getting the media attention now and they almost didn't talk about Warren. Even in the debates, Warren got some of the least amount of time.

I could only find one:

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/amy-klobuchar-headed-for-third-place-in-new-hampshire-touts-support-of-moderates-independents-78594629957

Most of the videos were:

1. Sanders getting really angry (about Trump) like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings;
2. 10 videos of Mayor Pete with a great smile and talking about the future and how positive it is;
3. Elizabeth Warren telling the National audience that she took broke students last $3 followed by the comment "That is what we have to do";
4. Biden saying that he is still in the race, but looking ready to lie down and go to sleep.

I actually do want to hear what she has to say. I want to discover what it is about here that has caused the latest acceleration in her chances.

I was talking mostly about the media narrative on TV. They spent a lot of time talking about Klobuchar, her great Iowa showing, her great NH debate, her great NH showing, her great moment (even used the term #Klobmentum). If you want to find articles with Amy Klobuchar's name in them, just Google "Amy Klobuchar articles" no quotes needed. Many recent articles  (mostly within the last 24 hours) will come up, mostly positive about her.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »

Okay, but again, that fails to answer my question. At the risk of derailing this thread, who is this mythical moderate uniter candidate that Klobuchar should be withdrawing in favor of? Dead in the Water Biden or Warren? Unelectable Pete? Or the multi-billionaire who backed George W bush for president?

If, and I emphasize if, one accepts the theory that moderates should unite around a single candidate to stop Bernie, who is realistically better than Amy Klobuchar?
i wasn't addressing it lol? anyway, moderates should back the the candidate that appears to have the best chance of beating bernie. it may not necessarily be the candidate you like the most, but you can't always get that in a crowded primary
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2020, 09:43:40 PM »

Buttigieg is unelectable because he's gay, which loses most religious people. They may even be in favor of equal rights, but that doesn't mean they want to vote to put a gay man in as President over religious candidates. He also lacks experience, which matters a lot more in the general elections. He isn't winning minorities despite them mostly knowing who he is at this point, and he basically has already admitted his own governing was racist. Also his look, because he just doesn't look like a President. He's a small statured, fragile-looking man. A woman can get away with that, but men are expected to look tough with broad shoulders. He's also a White man, which will drive down enthusiasm among Progressives for him. Once the general election hits, enthusiasm among Progressives to vote for the first woman President and to have her kick out President Trump would be invigorating.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2020, 09:49:29 PM »

i wasn't addressing it lol? anyway, moderates should back the the candidate that appears to have the best chance of beating bernie. it may not necessarily be the candidate you like the most, but you can't always get that in a crowded primary

We're not even into March yet. The people need to decide. It's most important to pick the favorite candidate, which is determined by people actually voting. Coalesce around a candidate too early where most states never even have a chance to vote and you will end up with apathy. Part of the reason there are so many candidates is because voters are still split, not because of how many candidates there are, but because they are still trying to decide which way they want to go. There are always many candidates to chose from, it's just that now there are voters choosing more than just the top two or three. If a candidate really nails the message and gains momentum, the voters will coalesce around her, and then she'll become the main candidate with some others dropping out. But the voters need to decide who they like, not feel forced into picking someone they don't like to get the primary season over with. I wouldn't agree with you until we start hitting at least April.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »

I could only find one:

Most of the videos were:

I was talking mostly about the media narrative on TV. They spent a lot of time talking about Klobuchar, her great Iowa showing, her great NH debate, her great NH showing, her great moment (even used the term #Klobmentum). If you want to find articles with Amy Klobuchar's name in them, just Google "Amy Klobuchar articles" no quotes needed. Many recent articles  (mostly within the last 24 hours) will come up, mostly positive about her.

Online videos are king.

I am not saying you missed the point, but a search on YouTube revealed only 4 videos of Amy in the last week.

And this is one of those 4.

https://youtu.be/adcXx8obFKw

It's Pete's opinion of Amy.

My point is, she is not getting on the front of the news websites. She is bot being interviewed by the top journalists.

Amy needs to be front and centre on CNN, MSNBC and better yet, FoxNEWS. A Sixty Minutes interview for 20 mins would be perfect.

Then she becomes a threat. Then she becomes a candidate.

It's the spotlight she needs.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #415 on: February 13, 2020, 02:27:16 AM »

I could only find one:

Most of the videos were:

Online videos are king.

I am not saying you missed the point, but a search on YouTube revealed only 4 videos of Amy in the last week.

And this is one of those 4.

https://youtu.be/adcXx8obFKw

It's Pete's opinion of Amy.

My point is, she is not getting on the front of the news websites. She is bot being interviewed by the top journalists.

Amy needs to be front and centre on CNN, MSNBC and better yet, FoxNEWS. A Sixty Minutes interview for 20 mins would be perfect.

Then she becomes a threat. Then she becomes a candidate.

It's the spotlight she needs.

Klobuchar absolutely has been front and center in a lot of the MSM coverage on TV. The Youtube videos are just clips from the TV coverage. It's what they say on TV that sends out the narrative. They clip it up, put on Youtube, Twitter, etc. and that sends a message to everybody else what they will be saying. And where do they get their orders? From the MSM bosses, who talk to the Party bosses (either RNC or DNC bosses). That's how it works. Have you ever noticed that the MSM will start saying the exact phrases that the party is just starting to message?

I did a search of "MSNBC" on Youtube to see if what you were saying was even accurate. Under "Latest from MSNBC", the first one is about Klobuchar from the Rachel Maddow show posted 20 minutes ago. The second one is from 22 minutes ago with Amy Klobuchar on the Maddow show. Another video down the list included Klobuchar's good showing in New Hampshire. Who knows, maybe you aren't seeing it because you are in Australia, but Klobuchar is the talk of the MSM.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #416 on: February 13, 2020, 03:53:26 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2020, 06:23:06 AM by Meclazine »

I will have another look. Thanks.

UPDATE: Amy did exactly what I wanted just before you posted. Get her face on the online news sites.

12 * MSNBC videos in a row starting with Rachel Maddow.

I really like her. Not saying she is going to win, but I like the person.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2020, 05:02:45 AM »

Very anecdotal: Some youngish boomers/old gen Xers at a buffet restaurant in Dane county were talking about how they liked "that lady from Minnesota" even though they couldn't remember her last name very well. While these guys aren't representative of anyone other than themselves, it was surprising but encouraging to hear that they were open to Amy.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2020, 01:08:14 PM »

Very anecdotal: Some youngish boomers/old gen Xers at a buffet restaurant in Dane county were talking about how they liked "that lady from Minnesota" even though they couldn't remember her last name very well. While these guys aren't representative of anyone other than themselves, it was surprising but encouraging to hear that they were open to Amy.

I was speaking to an older Millenial business owner. He was pro-Klobuchar as well.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »

At my law school, there seems to be a decent core of support for Klobuchar. Pretty gender-balanced too, compared to the Bernie and Biden support. Warren is way out ahead in terms of overall backing though. You see her stickers everywhere. Then there are some people for Biden and a few for Pete and Bernie here or there. On campus as a whole, there are groups for Bernie, Klobuchar, Warren, and Biden. I think there was a Yang group too.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #420 on: February 13, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »

What’s with these bland midwesterners catching on? Pete and Amy have the charisma of a jar of mayo and a wet blanket, respectively.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #421 on: February 14, 2020, 05:45:37 AM »

What’s with these bland midwesterners catching on? Pete and Amy have the charisma of a jar of mayo and a wet blanket, respectively.

Username: "Beat-'Em-All Beto"
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »

Username: "Beat-'Em-All Beto"

Beto of 2018 >>> Beto of 2019. When he was a Senate candidate he ran an idealistic campaign based on what he believed, regardless of how it would play with voters (see NFL kneeling video). Whereas in 2019, Obama-alums convinced him to run to the center and you could see all his passion disappear in this campaign and got overtaken by Mayo Pete.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #423 on: February 14, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »

Someone is salty. There are different types of charisma. There is the type where a guy stands on a table and sounds confident and then there is the type that is relatable to people. Klobuchar is the relatable type. She has been through the struggles with her baby at the hospital and has been through the struggles with the insurance companies. She's willing to go out and give a speech in the middle of a snowstorm and not call it off like the majority of candidates would do. She works whether the weather is good or bad, just like the bad average person. And all those people came out for it in that snowstorm btw.

Beto lost again. You are going to need to get over it. It doesn't make sense to come into the Klobuchar thread over and over months later to show your saltiness. And btw, he had loads of money, but the reason he lost his passion is because he realized his extreme policies that don't work for 90% of the country weren't catching on. Shocker.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: February 14, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »

Someone is salty. There are different types of charisma. There is the type where a guy stands on a table and sounds confident and then there is the type that is relatable to people. Klobuchar is the relatable type. She has been through the struggles with her baby at the hospital and has been through the struggles with the insurance companies. She's willing to go out and give a speech in the middle of a snowstorm and not call it off like the majority of candidates would do. She works whether the weather is good or bad, just like the bad average person. And all those people came out for it in that snowstorm btw.

Beto lost again. You are going to need to get over it. It doesn't make sense to come into the Klobuchar thread over and over months later to show your saltiness. And btw, he had loads of money, but the reason he lost his passion is because he realized his extreme policies that don't work for 90% of the country weren't catching on. Shocker.
I haven’t been a Beto supporter since last June. My support’s gone Beto >> Warren >> Sanders as of NH.

Well obviously there’s different types, but thing is Klobuchar has none. At all. She gets on stage and makes cringe, obviously canned lines and just keeps repeating that she won in Minnesota.

I don’t dislike her. Between Pete, Bloomberg, and her she’s by far and away the best choice. But that’s because she’s inoffensive, and she’s inoffensive because she’s so bland.

To win, you have to appeal to more than just middle aged and old white people. Her problem is that she has no message that appeals to people under 30 or people of color. And that’s because she doesn’t propose policies that excite them because they’re “pipe dreams”.

But what she has going for her over the others in her lane is that she isn’t an overt corporatist, beholden to big donors like Pete or the epitome of oligarchy like Bloomberg.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies