Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 10:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 32143 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »

Klobuchar has some nice words for Yang and his gang. 

Maybe some of them will come her way? 
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »

She is doing surprisingly well.  Giving her a second look.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2020, 10:34:30 PM by Badger »

Two people notoriously awful towards their staffs.

That said, I believe I'm now on the Amy train
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »

Amy's got no where to go from here. Perhaps a win on Super Tuesday in MN, but otherwise in order to stand a chance she'll need to knock Pete down a peg, consolidate college whites, and become more competitive with nonwhites. Geographically, I can see a path for her through the midwest and northeast, but Bernie's gonna be tough to dislodge.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2020, 12:19:45 AM »

If Amy were the nominee, I'm assuming Minnesota would be off the table for Trump, but I wonder if she also has the edge in states like Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. due to proximity/similar voters.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2020, 01:35:57 AM »

If Amy were the nominee, I'm assuming Minnesota would be off the table for Trump, but I wonder if she also has the edge in states like Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. due to proximity/similar voters.

She would be strong there.
The election would be decided in only one state - Pennsylvania.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2020, 02:04:52 AM »

What's next for Amy and Pete? Should they do something in Nevada/SC or focus their activity on north Super Tuesday states?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:11 AM »

What's next for Amy and Pete? Should they do something in Nevada/SC or focus their activity on north Super Tuesday states?

Probably trying to kill each other, TBH.  Either would have easily won NH if the other wasn't in the race.

What they should be doing, especially Amy, is trying to make up ground with black voters.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »

Anecdotally, I've heard Amy has a weak ground game in NV, while Buttigieg has a stronger one there.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2020, 11:47:11 AM »

Why?

Anecdotally, I've heard Amy has a weak ground game in NV, while Buttigieg has a stronger one there.

Jon Ralston said pretty much the same thing IIRC.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #385 on: February 12, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »

To be fair, and I say this as a Amy fan, she presumably has a weak ground game everywhere. She's still in the race because her campaign has proved itself to be a diligent steward of resources; some of how they've been able to do that is must be by not stretching themselves in too many directions. We're going to get a sudden test of what happens when your campaign is given an infusion of cash and attention but very little time to deploy it. How are they going to use their money? I would expect a surprising amount of money will go into ads; there's simply not enough time to hire people who will know anything useful about the state of Nevada at this point.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: February 12, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »

The interesting thing is that the Culinary Union is giving hints that Any may be their preferred candidate. If so, then their organization may be enough in Nevada at least.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »

Klobuchar is making a 7 figure ad buy in Nevada:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/482692-klobuchar-rolls-out-seven-figure-ad-buy-in-nevada
SInNYC

« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »

To be fair, and I say this as a Amy fan, she presumably has a weak ground game everywhere. She's still in the race because her campaign has proved itself to be a diligent steward of resources; some of how they've been able to do that is must be by not stretching themselves in too many directions. We're going to get a sudden test of what happens when your campaign is given an infusion of cash and attention but very little time to deploy it. How are they going to use their money? I would expect a surprising amount of money will go into ads; there's simply not enough time to hire people who will know anything useful about the state of Nevada at this point.

Depending on your definition of ground game, she had a very strong one in IA though it ended up not helping her much. She was the only candidate to have visited all 99 counties. And being from a neighboring state, she probably had plenty of staffers who knew lots about IA, especially the northern third.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »

Depending on your definition of ground game, she had a very strong one in IA though it ended up not helping her much. She was the only candidate to have visited all 99 counties. And being from a neighboring state, she probably had plenty of staffers who knew lots about IA, especially the northern third.

Of course. Sorry; I should've specified "everywhere that isn't IA/NH". Like, she did have a good ground game in IA, and apparently enough of one in NH to capitalize on her blip. But I doubt she had much resources to invest elsewhere.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »

Of course. Sorry; I should've specified "everywhere that isn't IA/NH". Like, she did have a good ground game in IA, and apparently enough of one in NH to capitalize on her blip. But I doubt she had much resources to invest elsewhere.

She won almost every Newspaper endorsement in NH which does show she had a strong ground game.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #391 on: February 12, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »

She won almost every Newspaper endorsement in NH which does show she had a strong ground game.

Klobuchar also had the most endorsement in IA. Endorsements helped propel her, I believe. They don't mean a lot individually, but as a group for an unknown candidate they really force people to give a second look. And now everyone knows Klobuchar is a legitimate contender, so that question is gone, too.

About spending money, spending advertising money is easy, and it's also more effective on Super Tuesday. The money is coming in at just the right time and honestly, it's easy to spend advertising money. A professional campaign like the Klobuchar campaign knows how to do that. What's not easy is to build the ground game up, because obviously that's her campaign's strength.

Nevada and South Carolina will be interesting. How much does she try to put into these states? Does she save for Super Tuesday? Can she resonate with the minorities? She keeps knocking down hurdles, but there are a few major ones left to come. I hope she can pull it off. Her campaign has a tough decision to make about momentum. Does she want to sacrifice it to focus on other areas or not?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »

About spending money, spending advertising money is easy, and it's also more effective on Super Tuesday.

Honestly I'm not sure that that's true, unless your campaign has Bloomberg-like resources.  The battlefield is so enormous on Super Tuesday, with so many expensive media markets, that there just isn't enough $ to go around to make a meaningful dent, in all likelihood.  Free media at that point is probably more important.  Which is why Klobuchar is smart to spend a decent sum of money on Nevada now, rather than save cash for Super Tuesday.  She (and the other campaigns) need to get more free media to help on Super Tuesday, and the way to do that is to win or do well in NV and/or SC.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #393 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »

Having a ground game and getting newspaper endorsements are literally Polar Opposites in terms of Grassroots political organization.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #394 on: February 12, 2020, 03:56:09 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2020, 05:34:59 PM by Meclazine »

When i look up news videos of the candidates to get a feeling for what they are saying, all i am getting on CNN and MSNBC is Petey B.

And surprisingly, Elizabeth Warren looks like a favoured daughter of the media. She gets a lot of coverage.

But Amy is nowhere to be seen. Need more of that front-of-the-website 'free' airtime to survive. Chris Matthews from MSNBC loves her, so she needs to get on that panel.

And then there is this lonely old guy who comes across like an angry Larry David lookalike.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #395 on: February 12, 2020, 03:57:01 PM »

if she does poorly in nevada (i.e. no delegates) she should probably drop out, or else she actually ironically hurts the chances of a moderate winning the nomination
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #396 on: February 12, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »

if she does poorly in nevada (i.e. no delegates) she should probably drop out, or else she actually ironically hurts the chances of a moderate winning the nomination

Given Warren and Biden are toast, I submit that buttigieg is simply not electable, why should she be the one to drop out are you saying we should rally around Bloomberg?
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #397 on: February 12, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »

About spending money, spending advertising money is easy, and it's also more effective on Super Tuesday.

Honestly I'm not sure that that's true, unless your campaign has Bloomberg-like resources.  The battlefield is so enormous on Super Tuesday, with so many expensive media markets, that there just isn't enough $ to go around to make a meaningful dent, in all likelihood.  Free media at that point is probably more important.  Which is why Klobuchar is smart to spend a decent sum of money on Nevada now, rather than save cash for Super Tuesday.  She (and the other campaigns) need to get more free media to help on Super Tuesday, and the way to do that is to win or do well in NV and/or SC.

I think we're talking past each other. I wasn't comparing advertising $ to free media, I was comparing advertising $ on Super Tuesday to advertising $ on other days, say like the New Hampshire primaries. Free media is always good and effective. In-person contact is good in small states, but it really doesn't have an impact in the big states because they are big. Media can reach all places at once, including geographic areas that are not close to each other. It's hard for candidates to be in-person on the East Coast one day and West Coast the next day. So I don't think we disagree.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #398 on: February 12, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »

When i look up news videos of the candidates to get a feeling for what they are saying, all i am getting on CNN and MSNBC is Petey B.

And surprisingly, Elizabeth Warren looks like a favoured daughter of the media. She gets a lot of coverage.

But Amy is nowhere to be seen. Need more of that front of the website 'free' airtime to survive. Chris Matthews from MSNBC loves her, so she needs to get on that panel.

And then there is this lonely old guy who comes across like an angry Larry David lookalike.

That changed a lot recently. Klobuchar is getting the media attention now and they almost didn't talk about Warren. Even in the debates, Warren got some of the least amount of time.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #399 on: February 12, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »

Given Warren and Biden are toast, I submit that buttigieg is simply not electable, why should she be the one to drop out are you saying we should rally around Bloomberg?
i said if she does poorly in nevada. in that case her momentum is halted and staying in the race while having single digit support would just take away from the rest of the more viable moderates. she also has no minority support when we're already multiple states in. i'm simply saying that for the moderate wing of the party, it would be in their best interests to rally around a candidate before bernie starts running away with the nomination
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies