Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:41:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: Amy Klobuchar 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 30845 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 08, 2020, 02:21:35 PM »

What would it take for Klobuchar to be able to stay in the race after NH?

Results-wise, I would think it would require Klobuchar to pass Biden, catch up to Warren, and be closer to Buttigieg.  The clear trend in NH is toward Sanders, and that appears to be a bit at the expense of Mayor Pete.

One thing that would help is some last minute endorsements from folks who would be expected to back Biden, but who believe Biden is too old and too flawed (at this point) as a candidate.  Biden LOOKS old, and having his son and him being dragged into the impeachment drama was hardly rejuvenating.  Biden doesn't have a lot of prominent endorsements as of now; many of his endorsements are political figures, but rather obscure ones.  What if some major endorsements were to suddenly come Klobuchar's way?  It's kind of late for that, but NH is a primary, and lots of folks could change their minds at the last minute. 

That's what would have to happen.  Honestly, I don't know where that would come from.  I believe that part of the problem is there are a number of Anyone But Sanders Dems who have put their hopes in Biden, but who are looking to Bloomberg as their fallback plan.  And in terms of strategy, this is sound, to the extent that Bloomberg won't run out of money.  If Bloomberg weren't in the race, I believe that those looking to bolt Biden for a better candidate would have already been in Klobuchar's camp. 

I trust Klobachar about as much as I trust Hillary.  Even Bloomberg would be better.

Klobuchar is, I believe, the most electable candidate in the race against Trump, except for (maybe) Bloomberg, and that's because of Bloomberg's immense fortune.

Part of what Pete and Bernie have going for them is that there are a significant number of folks that are excited about voting for them rather than simply against someone else.  Trump too has folks excited to vote for him.  I've seen no evidence that Klob is exciting folks in the same way.

I'd argue electability goes in the following order:

1. Pete
2. Bernie

3. Bloomberg

4. Biden

5. Klob

6. Warren
7. Yang
8. Steyer
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #351 on: February 08, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »

Part of what Pete and Bernie have going for them is that there are a significant number of folks that are excited about voting for them rather than simply against someone else.

Exactly. I can just imagine that Pete would be my friend, you know, like the mayor next door, which makes me excited because he is so smart and charismatic, and I like to have friends like that because it makes me feel smart and charismatic too and actualizes me.

anyone who votes for pete buttigeg doesnt belong in the democratic party.

Hes a liar. a fraud. has no regard for human being and will do anything to screw over people to get a job.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #352 on: February 08, 2020, 03:15:37 PM »

Part of what Pete and Bernie have going for them is that there are a significant number of folks that are excited about voting for them rather than simply against someone else.

Exactly. I can just imagine that Pete would be my friend, you know, like the mayor next door, which makes me excited because he is so smart and charismatic, and I like to have friends like that because it makes me feel smart and charismatic too and actualizes me.

anyone who votes for pete buttigeg doesnt belong in the democratic party.

Hes a liar. a fraud. has no regard for human being and will do anything to screw over people to get a job.

Couldn't even go a full week without posting here, huh?
O3E
Rookie
United States

« Reply #353 on: February 08, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »

Why did Amy decide to be good this late?

atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #354 on: February 08, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2020, 04:42:09 PM by atheist4thecause »

Why did Amy decide to be good this late?

Better than peaking too early. She's never really been bad. She just doesn't have the money and name recognition others have.

People here are so ridiculous. They talk about how nobody is getting energized to vote for Klobuchar, which couldn't be further from the truth. I've already posted about how Klobuchar has one of the lowest unfvorable rating and one of the highest rates of people not knowing her name. This means that people like her once they get to know her.

The other thing is that Klobuchar is at her weakest during a Democratic Presidential nomination, but during the General Elections, she would become the strongest. People on the Far Left are going to be energized to vote against Trump anyways. People on the moderate Left, Independents, some Centrists, and some Republicans would be completely willing to vote for her over Trump. She can bring in the broadest coalition, and she can do it in the most important swing states.

I don't know why so many are trying to predict she's going to drop out. She has run a frugal and effective campaign. She did better than expected in Iowa, not in terms of place, but in terms of %. She just had the best debate of anybody. She is likely to bring in a bunch of fundraising. She connects well with voters and NH is a small state, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities for her to gain a lot. If she can finish 3rd or a close 4th, she'll gain even more traction. She also does well bringing in endorsements, as I believe she brought in more endorsements in Iowa than anybody else. She already brought in a bunch in NH, too.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #355 on: February 08, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »

atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #356 on: February 08, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »

I wish she would be given the chance. I think the work she would do as President would be on a higher level than the others, and also on a broader scale, touching more people.

But people don't care for her personality. That's what they say. But I like her personality. I like her short quips. She is intelligent and aware of the plight of females and also of Americans around our country. Maybe next time....

You had me until the end. There is no plight of females.

The plight I am referring to is that there has never been a female President. If that means nothing to you, so be it. But females know what I'm talking about when I say "plight" in this instance.

The fact that he self-identifies as a "men's rights advocate" means he is not worth arguing with.

Yeah, me caring about the disproportionate homelessness of men, dropouts of boys, suicides of men and boys, etc. means that nobody should consider what I have to say. Can't have people caring about the lives of men and boys.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #357 on: February 08, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »

Peaking too early is certainly not good, as many campaigns have seen, but peaking too late is no good either. It's too late for Klobuchar. Sorry, but it really, really is.

For one thing, she has not been vetted, and it's too late to vet her. She has a long career history from her time as a prosecutor, do you really think there are no skeletons there?

At this point Klobuchar is only serving as an extra column for the Bernie Sanders campaign. She is there to take votes from his opponents, Buttigieg, Biden and Warren. She might as well be on the Bernie Sanders payroll.

She is not going anywhere. And in your heart, you know this. Deep down, people know this. If she had a real shot, she would be getting a lot more criticism. She had more of a shot back in February than she does now, which is why the media knee-capped her with the comb story. But no one sees her as a real threat now, because she is not. Hence she will get a free pass and be able to look good but it is only because people know her window has closed.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »

I wish she would be given the chance. I think the work she would do as President would be on a higher level than the others, and also on a broader scale, touching more people.

But people don't care for her personality. That's what they say. But I like her personality. I like her short quips. She is intelligent and aware of the plight of females and also of Americans around our country. Maybe next time....

The plight I am referring to is that there has never been a female President. If that means nothing to you, so be it. But females know what I'm talking about when I say "plight" in this instance.
Women won office at a higher rate than men. It's just that fewer run. That's hardly a plight. Sure, no woman has become President, but no woman feels they can't, either. Everybody knows a woman can become President.

Yeah, right.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2020, 10:05:53 PM »

Women won office at a higher rate than men. It's just that fewer run. That's hardly a plight. Sure, no woman has become President, but no woman feels they can't, either. Everybody knows a woman can become President.

Yeah, right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/25/upshot/the-problem-for-women-is-not-winning-its-deciding-to-run.html

It's a myth that women can't win, and when the Left perpetuates this myth it discourages women form running. Ironically, what is holding women back is not running more than it is not winning. The Left is holding women back in politics. Stop pushing your BS, because you hurt women.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #360 on: February 08, 2020, 10:13:44 PM »

Peaking too early is certainly not good, as many campaigns have seen, but peaking too late is no good either. It's too late for Klobuchar. Sorry, but it really, really is.

For one thing, she has not been vetted, and it's too late to vet her. She has a long career history from her time as a prosecutor, do you really think there are no skeletons there?

At this point Klobuchar is only serving as an extra column for the Bernie Sanders campaign. She is there to take votes from his opponents, Buttigieg, Biden and Warren. She might as well be on the Bernie Sanders payroll.

She is not going anywhere. And in your heart, you know this. Deep down, people know this. If she had a real shot, she would be getting a lot more criticism. She had more of a shot back in February than she does now, which is why the media knee-capped her with the comb story. But no one sees her as a real threat now, because she is not. Hence she will get a free pass and be able to look good but it is only because people know her window has closed.

Could the same not be said about Warren too ? She is 9% is the last NH poll. She won't make the viability of 15% to get delegates. She has got no chance in Nevada or South Carolina. She doesn't have the funds to compete nationally. In the CNN NH poll Gabbard is like 3% behind Warren which is nonsensical.

After NH her national polling numbers will also fall off a cliff. She hasn't attacked Biden @ all. Maybe she is on the Biden payroll given much more of her supporters go to Bernie than Biden?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #361 on: February 08, 2020, 10:20:37 PM »

til i'm a decrepit neo-liberal boomer
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #362 on: February 08, 2020, 10:21:06 PM »

You keep using words like "real shot". What do you mean by that? If all you are trying to say is that she is not the favorite, then I agree with you. But if you are actually trying to say that she has such a minute chance that we shouldn't even consider her a relevant competitor, then I disagree strongly with you.

Candidates don't need to win Iowa to stay in the race. They need to continue to build momentum. They need to find places to win. She has places that can stabilize her campaign, like Minnesota. These first 4 primaries don't have a whole lot of delegates at stake. Iowa has 41, then NH has 24, then NV has 36, and then SC has 54. If you add these all up, the 4 pre-Super Tuesday races have 155 delegates up for grabs. California is on Super Tuesday, and it alone has 415 delegates. Minnesota has 75, and she can really run it up in Minnesota potentially. There are 1,344 total delegates up for grabs on Super Tuesday. The first 4 primaries make up around 11.5% of the Super Tuesday amount.

We talk a lot about having to win the early states, but typically that's because you need to make people believe that you can win and you want to prevent other candidates from gaining too much momentum. Well, we already went through Iowa and nobody gained momentum at all. We're also going to be splitting the delegates between 5 major candidates, heck maybe even 7 with Steyer and Bloomberg. So this race is different than other races. You can afford to lose big in some states but not fall too far behind.

And look what people are saying. They believe in Klobuchar's potential. She needs a moment (which she had in the debate IMO but we'll see how much of a boost she gets) and to continue building momentum, but she is well-liked and gets a lot of endorsements. There are people willing to donate to her the more they believe she has a chance. She is spending money well. So no, I don't agree with your claims unless all you are saying is that she's not the favorite.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #363 on: February 08, 2020, 11:13:58 PM »

Klobuchar is now ahead of Warren in the Emerson NH Poll. Warren is 4th almost similar to Biden who is @ 5th.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2020, 11:17:01 PM »

You keep using words like "real shot". What do you mean by that? If all you are trying to say is that she is not the favorite, then I agree with you. But if you are actually trying to say that she has such a minute chance that we shouldn't even consider her a relevant competitor, then I disagree strongly with you.

Candidates don't need to win Iowa to stay in the race. They need to continue to build momentum. They need to find places to win. She has places that can stabilize her campaign, like Minnesota. These first 4 primaries don't have a whole lot of delegates at stake. Iowa has 41, then NH has 24, then NV has 36, and then SC has 54. If you add these all up, the 4 pre-Super Tuesday races have 155 delegates up for grabs. California is on Super Tuesday, and it alone has 415 delegates. Minnesota has 75, and she can really run it up in Minnesota potentially. There are 1,344 total delegates up for grabs on Super Tuesday. The first 4 primaries make up around 11.5% of the Super Tuesday amount.

We talk a lot about having to win the early states, but typically that's because you need to make people believe that you can win and you want to prevent other candidates from gaining too much momentum. Well, we already went through Iowa and nobody gained momentum at all. We're also going to be splitting the delegates between 5 major candidates, heck maybe even 7 with Steyer and Bloomberg. So this race is different than other races. You can afford to lose big in some states but not fall too far behind.

And look what people are saying. They believe in Klobuchar's potential. She needs a moment (which she had in the debate IMO but we'll see how much of a boost she gets) and to continue building momentum, but she is well-liked and gets a lot of endorsements. There are people willing to donate to her the more they believe she has a chance. She is spending money well. So no, I don't agree with your claims unless all you are saying is that she's not the favorite.

Thank you so much for helping Bernie Sanders get the nomination
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #365 on: February 09, 2020, 07:48:39 AM »

Results-wise, I would think it would require Klobuchar to pass Biden, catch up to Warren, and be closer to Buttigieg.  The clear trend in NH is toward Sanders, and that appears to be a bit at the expense of Mayor Pete.

One thing that would help is some last minute endorsements from folks who would be expected to back Biden, but who believe Biden is too old and too flawed (at this point) as a candidate.  Biden LOOKS old, and having his son and him being dragged into the impeachment drama was hardly rejuvenating.  Biden doesn't have a lot of prominent endorsements as of now; many of his endorsements are political figures, but rather obscure ones.  What if some major endorsements were to suddenly come Klobuchar's way?  It's kind of late for that, but NH is a primary, and lots of folks could change their minds at the last minute. 

That's what would have to happen.  Honestly, I don't know where that would come from.  I believe that part of the problem is there are a number of Anyone But Sanders Dems who have put their hopes in Biden, but who are looking to Bloomberg as their fallback plan.  And in terms of strategy, this is sound, to the extent that Bloomberg won't run out of money.  If Bloomberg weren't in the race, I believe that those looking to bolt Biden for a better candidate would have already been in Klobuchar's camp. 

I trust Klobachar about as much as I trust Hillary.  Even Bloomberg would be better.

Klobuchar is, I believe, the most electable candidate in the race against Trump, except for (maybe) Bloomberg, and that's because of Bloomberg's immense fortune.

Part of what Pete and Bernie have going for them is that there are a significant number of folks that are excited about voting for them rather than simply against someone else.  Trump too has folks excited to vote for him.  I've seen no evidence that Klob is exciting folks in the same way.

1. Pete
2. Bernie

3. Bloomberg

4. Biden

5. Klob

You literally have it backwards.
Klob is first, Biden second, Bloomberg third, Sanders fourth and Pete five
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #366 on: February 09, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »

1. Pete
2. Bernie

3. Bloomberg

4. Biden

5. Klob

You literally have it backwards.
Klob is first, Biden second, Bloomberg third, Sanders fourth and Pete five

"Maybe" to the highlighted part.  I do agree that Klobuchar is the most electable if you just gave her the nomination.

Klobuchar SHOULD be surging more than she is right now.  The reason she isn't is the specter of Michael Bloomberg in the background.  Bloomberg is a moderate with his own money to spend, and many Democrats are thinking that Bloomberg and his money are the last hope to beat Trump. 

Donors are loath to contribute to a candidate who stands to be overwhelmed soon afterward.  Voters in upcoming primaries on Super Tuesday are already getting a full view of Michael Bloomberg on TV; he has a head start over Klobuchar, who is just coming into focus as far as the average TV viewer goes.  If Bloomberg was not on the sideline to rescue the centrist Democrats from Biden tanking, Klobuchar would be having a greater surge than they are having now.
DanPrazeres
Rookie

« Reply #367 on: February 09, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »

Looking into last days NH Google Trends , I believe she will be the biggest surprise of New Hampshire.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #368 on: February 09, 2020, 04:49:51 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #369 on: February 09, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »

If you looked at Klobuchar during the debates it felt like she was almost in tears and begging for votes.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #370 on: February 09, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #371 on: February 09, 2020, 05:04:46 PM »

I can see why Klobuchar hates Pete now
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #372 on: February 09, 2020, 05:10:51 PM »

atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #373 on: February 09, 2020, 07:46:28 PM »

In terms of Democrats, I support Klobuchar so that's obviously my bias. Having said that, I really do believe that she is the best Democrat for the country. It's hard to hate her. From my perspective, we'd have a win-win no matter who won (Klobuchar or Trump), and so I'll accept a lower chance of Trump winning to have a 100% chance to get a good President. And Amy Klobuchar being the first female President? She's a woman worth the honor, unlike Hillary.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »

First you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies