Governor Northam contemplating leaving Democrats and governing as an Independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:28:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Governor Northam contemplating leaving Democrats and governing as an Independent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Governor Northam contemplating leaving Democrats and governing as an Independent  (Read 1229 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/this-isnt-me-gov-northams-defiance-caught-advisers-off-guard/2019/02/05/62e97b14-296f-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html?utm_term=.1d22a959fa66

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:56:22 PM »

Honestly...that could be for the best at this point. We're looking at a political crisis of pretty significant proportions here and this would be a simple way to mitigate that even as it puts him in an incredibly weak position as Governor.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »

Honestly...that could be for the best at this point. We're looking at a political crisis of pretty significant proportions here and this would be a simple way to mitigate that even as it puts him in an incredibly weak position as Governor.

How does this change anything?  Changing his Party ID to "independent" won't endear him to Republicans or Democrats; he'd still be a governor without a constituency, which is why he must resign.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:21 PM »

Just resign.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »

How does this change anything?  Changing his Party ID to "independent" won't endear him to Republicans or Democrats; he'd still be a governor without a constituency, which is why he must resign.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:57 PM »

I say that only because of the problems Fairfax, and now, maybe even Herring are facing. Imagine all three of them resigning and the ensuing chaos and confusion.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »

I say that only because of the problems Fairfax, and now, maybe even Herring are facing. Imagine all three of them resigning and the ensuing chaos and confusion.

What problems is Herring facing?

I haven't read or heard anything negative come out about him during this whole episode.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 09:15:41 PM »

George Wallace would be proud.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »

I haven't read or heard anything negative come out about him during this whole episode.

Well, there's this:

https://twitter.com/WVUCavalier/status/1092246798436102146?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1092246798436102146&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fuselectionatlas.org%2FFORUM%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D312875.175

Not much more has been made of it beyond this tweet though, from what I can tell. But at this point, the Daily Caller or some other website could follow up on it. And if this snowballs, the three top elected Virginia Democrats would have been respectively accused of racism, sexual misconduct, and homophobia.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »

This is the political equivalent to Kevin Spacey coming out as gay after being accused of sexually assaulting young boys
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »

Northam was a Republican until 2005, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »

I'm glad to hear it. This country needs more independents. Not everyone is a Republican or a Democrat. A lot of us are centrists.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »

Well, there's this:

https://twitter.com/WVUCavalier/status/1092246798436102146?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1092246798436102146&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fuselectionatlas.org%2FFORUM%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D312875.175

Not much more has been made of it beyond this tweet though, from what I can tell. But at this point, the Daily Caller or some other website could follow up on it. And if this snowballs, the three top elected Virginia Democrats would have been respectively accused of racism, sexual misconduct, and homophobia.

Herring is fine if that’s all they have on him.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:19:17 PM »

I think he got something to do with this
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »

At a certain level, the question is, "Why?".  Why should Northam resign to make the Democrats' lives easier?  The people elected him.  Democrats whine about the GOP not having worked with Obama; here's a chance for them to show them how it's done.

Northam, by the way, would not be contemplating this if the Democrats had not jumped into full-bore Identity Politics mode (a mode that Fairfax, the main beneficiary of it, resisted).  The stupidity by which the VA Democratic Party acted, in retrospect, is astonishing; they have no basis to push Northam out of office.  He looks like an idiot, and some people may wonder what his real feelings about blacks are, but the people elected HIM.

That's something people need to remember:  We don't elect parties here; we elect individuals.  This isn't the Israeli Knesset, where folks vote for lists of candidates, and the Knesset members are apportioned according to the percentage of votes for parties and lists of joint parties.  And even there, one can switch parties and keep their Knesset seat.  (Moshe Dayan switched to Likud after Begin's election in 1977 and he still kept his Knesset seat.) 

Now, Ralph Northam can be and independent Governor and endorse Trump for re-election.  Will this be just enough to keep VA in play?  Will these follies soil the Democratic Brand in VA for years to come?  If it does, it will be a self-inflicted wound.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »

He may not have a constituency, but he still has his office, which forces the legislature to continue to work with him. It immediately resolves the burning conflict he has with the Dems because they won't have any official association with him. Honestly this feels like the best way out given that Northam clearly doesn't feel he should resign for this.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »

Schultz/Northam 2020?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »

He'd be opposed by Evangelicals, Conservative Catholics, African-Americans, and others.  I'm guessing his base would be alt-right edgelords and 90 year old Dixiecrats.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »

Well, there's this:

Homophobia? Refusing to stand by the Virginia Marriage Amendment is like, the most notable thing he did.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »

This is the political equivalent to Kevin Spacey coming out as gay after being accused of sexually assaulting young boys
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »

Why not just return to the Republican Party from whence he came?
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »

Not having a constiuency is only important if one seeks re-election or wants to be President.  As long as Northam is Governor, the Democrats (and the Republicans, for that matter) will have to deal with that fact.

The potential here is for actual non-partisan government in Virginia.  Northam is done, politically, as far as higher office goes, but he could still be a successful Governor in a different way than he imagined.  As Northam's Administration would no longer reflect on either party, legislators could take the opportunity to act constructively and make compromises in order to achieve things that THEY can put on THEIR resumes as something THEY worked to usher in.  Northam could never be the BFF of either party now, but as an Independent he could govern.  He's not accused of corruption, and as time goes on, I believe that the majority of Virginians will consider the initial response to Northam's yearbook as extreme, even while disapproving of the act.

One of the things that strikes me about this as days go on is that there is NOTHING anyone has brought up about Northam's conduct IN OFFICE that is significantly objectionable.  The most objectionable thing he's done (in my opinion) is his abortion posturing, and while I vehemently disagree with Northam on that issue, that IS, at a certain point, politics and not corruption.  I cannot believe how the Democrats have shot themselves in their right foot on this issue, only to shoot themselves in their left foot providing the response.  They really had to work at putting themselves in this position, and the VA GOP must be ROFL at this point.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »

One of the things that strikes me about this as days go on is that there is NOTHING anyone has brought up about Northam's conduct IN OFFICE that is significantly objectionable.  The most objectionable thing he's done (in my opinion) is his abortion posturing, and while I vehemently disagree with Northam on that issue, that IS, at a certain point, politics and not corruption.  I cannot believe how the Democrats have shot themselves in their right foot on this issue, only to shoot themselves in their left foot providing the response.  They really had to work at putting themselves in this position, and the VA GOP must be ROFL at this point.
Do you not think it is significantly objectionable to lie to the public while in office? He held a press conference where he denied that it is him in the photo (after previously admitting it was him in the photo). Past conduct aside, if it is in fact him in the photo, then he’s lying right now in the present as the sitting governor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies