Did the domestic abuse claims against Brown help him more than it hurt him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:27:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did the domestic abuse claims against Brown help him more than it hurt him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did the domestic abuse claims against Brown help him more than it hurt him?  (Read 1120 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »

Serious thread, believe it or not. I spoke to some of my grandfather's friends recently and we happened to get into politics, and I was surprised to learn that quite a few of them were examples of the secretive DeWine/Brown voter. Most of their explanation why was the usual 'not like the other Democrats' stuff or trade things, but one of them justified it by saying that the attacks on him were unfair, and compared it to people attacking Trump as sexist.

So, serious question: does anyone think that the presence of unfounded assault claims on Brown helped him appeal more to culturally conservative people who are predisposed to be suspicious of allegations of such things more than they hurt him among people who believed the claims? I don't think there's any way to actually measure it, but I think after having this conversation that it's conceivable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »

Serious thread, believe it or not. I spoke to some of my grandfather's friends recently and we happened to get into politics, and I was surprised to learn that quite a few of them were examples of the secretive DeWine/Brown voter. Most of their explanation why was the usual 'not like the other Democrats' stuff or trade things, but one of them justified it by saying that the attacks on him were unfair, and compared it to people attacking Trump as sexist.

So, serious question: does anyone think that the presence of unfounded assault claims on Brown helped him appeal more to culturally conservative people who are predisposed to be suspicious of allegations of such things more than they hurt him among people who believed the claims? I don't think there's any way to actually measure it, but I think after having this conversation that it's conceivable.

I don't think the DV claims got much attraction, but to what degree they did I suspect it hurt Brown among Women Voters who were undecided more than it helped. I suspect your grandfather's friends were exceptions to the rule.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2019, 08:19:00 PM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

I don't think the DV claims got much attraction, but to what degree they did I suspect it hurt Brown among Women Voters who were undecided more than it helped. I suspect your grandfather's friends were exceptions to the rule.

Yeah it was like one passing comment at the debate, a boo from the audience, some dark money website and that was it. Did Gardner just full on triage Renacci?

Not like anyone actually watched the debate lol
Roblox

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »

Yeah it was like one passing comment at the debate, a boo from the audience, some dark money website and that was it. Did Gardner just full on triage Renacci?

Or any senate debate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »

I doubt it. The only thing hurting Brown is Ohio's sharp rightward turn over the past decade or so.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 03:19:19 AM »

Brown like Bernie, hasnt been tainted by scandal. Allegations have to be proven and they werent. Therefore, he passed the ethics probe and got reelected. However, presence of DeWine, Scott and Charlie Baker making a GOP senate appointment continues to hamper Warren, Sanders and Brown's prez campaign. Not Harris'
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »

There were actually some tv ads ran against Brown raising the matter.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »

There were actually some tv ads ran against Brown raising the matter.

Now that you mention it, I think I did see that *once*, but the fact that I remember the Ben Suarez ad more then I remember those tells you either how bad the Renacci campaign was and/or how much Gardner gave up on him.

It might just be because I obviously enjoyed anti-Renacci adds more then anti-Brown adds so I remember those better but I don't know.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »

I don't think it had much of an impact, honestly.
The3rdParty
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.67, S: -4.25

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »

Little impact as most Americans believe in due process and the few radical feminists who don't vote democrat anyways no matter what
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:28:21 AM »

I mean, maybe in the sense that it was pretty well-established that these are false allegations and the person who made them has subsequently appeared in ads for Brown and hosted a fundraiser for him.  I know at least one person was planning to vote for Renacci until he started slinging around false DV allegations.  But that’s not really being helped by the allegations so much as by the fact that pretty much everyone in Ohio who has heard of them knows they were false and that even the person who made them is a really strong Brown supporter who publicly defends him whenever someone tries to pull this sort of [Inks].

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »

OT: I wonder if Brown would have done better if he was a more pro-gun Democrat. I remember CNN saying in 2000 that Bush beat Gore in OH because of gun owners.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies