If New Brunswick became an American state ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:16:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If New Brunswick became an American state ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If New Brunswick became an American state ...  (Read 1453 times)
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »

How would it vote in federal and state elections? Especially with the substantial francophone minority.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »

All the Canadian provinces except Maaaaybe Alberta would be solid Democrat.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:48:43 PM »

While that's what the polls show, I highly doubt it. Sociologically, there's no reason why the Canadian Plains should vote differently from the American Plains. And even Ontario wouldn't be much to the left of Michigan or Upstate NY - or do you want to tell me that Mike Harris and Doug Ford would be out of place in the modern GOP? Québec would be a complete wildcard, and might be the only State to resist the extension of the American two-party system. The Maritimes would probably be similar to Maine and NH politically.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:52:33 PM »

HAHAHAHA, No.

BC is roughly an extension of Washington, so its a safe D state. Alberta/Saskatchewan/Northwest Territories are similar economically and demographically to the plains, or northern Rockies, safe GOP. Yukon - another Alaska. Nunavut is majority native, so thats safe Dem. Manitoba is similar in pop distribution and economically to Minnesota, so we can probably call it a swing state. Ontario is another New York/Illinois so safe Dem, maybe likely at the worst. The Ontario PC's have appeal to demographics that the GOP could never match in places like Peel and Scarborough. These minority communities would be lock-step dem rather then swing like in the Canadian system. New Brunswick is just ME-02 extended, so swing GOP. The other maritimes all should behave like New England, but I could see Nova Scotia voting GOP. Quebec is unique and defies traditional demographic weights.

These are all generalizations, but I could go deeper into the weeds if needed.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »

HAHAHAHA, No.

BC is roughly an extension of Washington, so its a safe D state. Alberta/Saskatchewan/Northwest Territories are similar economically and demographically to the plains, or northern Rockies, safe GOP. Yukon - another Alaska. Nunavut is majority native, so thats safe Dem. Manitoba is similar in pop distribution and economically to Minnesota, so we can probably call it a swing state. Ontario is another New York/Illinois so safe Dem, maybe likely at the worst. The Ontario PC's have appeal to demographics that the GOP could never match in places like Peel and Scarborough. These minority communities would be lock-step dem rather then swing like in the Canadian system. New Brunswick is just ME-02 extended, so swing GOP. The other maritimes all should behave like New England, but I could see Nova Scotia voting GOP. Quebec is unique and defies traditional demographic weights.

These are all generalizations, but I could go deeper into the weeds if needed.

I guess if you just went back in history and made it so Canada was Always part of the US this would be true, but any conversion done nowadays would make Canadian society so completely to the left of the current USA that all the provinces would probably vote to the left of what their demographics suggest.   

There's no gun rights movements in Canada,  they're much less religious,  they already have universal healthcare and like it a lot,  marijuana is already legalized nationwide and is quite popular,  Taxation is more progressive, and they're certainly a lot more engaged in Climate Change, actually participating in the Paris Agreement for starters. 

I'd say Alberta might lean GOP due to the high reliance on fossil fuels there,  but it'd probably be like Montana more than anything.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 03:23:55 AM »

I'd say Alberta might lean GOP due to the high reliance on fossil fuels there,  but it'd probably be like Montana more than anything.
I disagree. Calgary and Edmonton would vote like Denver, making Alberta likely D.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 06:34:47 AM »

As always, the question here is: are we making the place historically part of America or are we just sticking it in America tomorrow?

If the latter, then everything is Safe D and boring. If the former, it gets more interesting.

I disagree. Calgary and Edmonton would vote like Denver, making Alberta likely D.

Edmonton would be Dem, but Calgary? Large city with a huge reliance on the oil industry and a reputation for nouveau riche sprawling suburbia. That's more comparable to Dallas/Houston than Denver.

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »

While that's what the polls show, I highly doubt it. Sociologically, there's no reason why the Canadian Plains should vote differently from the American Plains. And even Ontario wouldn't be much to the left of Michigan or Upstate NY - or do you want to tell me that Mike Harris and Doug Ford would be out of place in the modern GOP? Québec would be a complete wildcard, and might be the only State to resist the extension of the American two-party system. The Maritimes would probably be similar to Maine and NH politically.

This
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »

As always, the question here is: are we making the place historically part of America or are we just sticking it in America tomorrow?

If the latter, then everything is Safe D and boring. If the former, it gets more interesting.

Edmonton would be Dem, but Calgary? Large city with a huge reliance on the oil industry and a reputation for nouveau riche sprawling suburbia. That's more comparable to Dallas/Houston than Denver.

Dallas and Houston are both Democratic.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »

Doing back of the napkin math here...

Dallas MSA still seems to have gone for Trump by a few points, while Houston went Democratic by a larger margin. I think it's fair to say Calgary would fall in that range... so yes it could go Dem. More to the point though, comparing the voting habits big oil town like Calgary to Denver is a stretch.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 01:32:17 PM »

Neither Harris or Ford even got that close to a majority of Ontario in the popular vote, and let's not forget that the PCs in Ontario get voters that the American GOP would never get (especially minority voters in the GTA suburbs).

Ontario would be Safe D, plain and simple. In any case, I have to agree with this:

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »

Not going to try to parse out what might happen with third parties (with the exception of Quebec - that's probably obvious enough of a rogue state to sustain a legitimate third party), but maybe something like this:

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »

Not going to try to parse out what might happen with third parties (with the exception of Quebec - that's probably obvious enough of a rogue state to sustain a legitimate third party), but maybe something like this:

I think the NW territories, being close to tied between (US Left) Aboriginals and (US Right) migratory extraction workers probably makes this a swing region, similar to Alaska if we drop the greater Anchorage metro and her very red suburbs. Yukon is majority northern resource extraction workers, so is probably as Atlas Blue as Fairbanks. That said, both these regions, in addition to Nunuvut, would be still us territories because of their tiny populations, unless all three ended up merged together.

The fate of the Immediate Maritime provinces, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, will depend upon whether you think they behave more like ME and NH as a whole, or like ME-02. As I said earlier, I think NB would be more like the CD, whereas NS more like the states.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »

I think the NW territories, being close to tied between (US Left) Aboriginals and (US Right) migratory extraction workers probably makes this a swing region, similar to Alaska if we drop the greater Anchorage metro and her very red suburbs. Yukon is majority northern resource extraction workers, so is probably as Atlas Blue as Fairbanks. That said, both these regions, in addition to Nunuvut, would be still us territories because of their tiny populations, unless all three ended up merged together.
Still not big enough. They probably get merged into the lean R state of Alaska-Yukon.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »

Yeah, the territories have a combined population of ~100k. They aren't anywhere near meriting statehood.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »

Yeah, the territories have a combined population of ~100k. They aren't anywhere near meriting statehood.

Neither is PEI at 142,907 as of 2016. If Canada were annexed by the U.S., the only question is whether Atlantic Canada would be admitted as one state or two (N&L and Canadian Maritimes).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »

Dallas and Houston have WAY more blacks and Hispanics than Calgary or Edmonton.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »

No
Flyersfan232

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »

Look up the 1992 election and every election after there is no safe seats in Canada
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »

Dallas and Houston have WAY more blacks and Hispanics than Calgary or Edmonton.

That's another interesting difference between the US and Canada. Calgary's white population is roughly comparable to Dallas or Houston, but its minorities are almost all Asians.

For the Tories that ranges from bad (South Asians), to excellent (Chinese voters vote Tory at much higher rates than whites). I guess the question would be whether this new North American country's politics would resemble Canada's or the States.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies