Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:53:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 71258 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »

I almost empty post this an agreement, but then realize it's someone previous in this thread pointed out that because of Northram's close ties with the legislature, he succeeded in Medicaid expansion in a way perriello might not've.

Perhaps northrim was the right guy at the right time, whose time has clearly passed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »

Let's say that the African-American Liberal Democrat Justin Fairfax was NOT Virginia's Lt. Governor.  VA elects its Lt. Governor separately.  Would Democrats be Pedal-To-The-Metal in their effort to drive Ralph Northam from office if a Republican (we'll call that Republican "Ken Cuccinelli") had been elected Lt. Governor?

You tell me.  Personally, I think that if a Republican were the LG, the Democrats would be twisting themselves into pretzels apologizing for Northam.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2019, 02:29:46 PM »

"the African-American liberal Democrat".

You're describing Justin Fairfax as if he's some mysterious, dark figure.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »

OUR GOVERNOR IS A KLANSMAN!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #354 on: February 03, 2019, 02:47:50 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2019, 02:52:47 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

"the African-American liberal Democrat".

You're describing Justin Fairfax as if he's some mysterious, dark figure.

To be fair, it's part of the narrative in this High Drama.  Fairfax isn't a bad guy; not at all.  But the fact that he is an African-American adds to the drama in this narrative.

And, yes, this Northam stuff is Drama of the Highest Order.

It's a big deal, politically, that a possible outcome for this drama is an additional African-American elevated to a Governorship.  That IS important for Democrats, who have historically drawn criticism for taking black votes but having few African-Americans in key positions in the party.  This issue has faded somewhat since Obama, but this is still a big deal.  It's also relevant in that there is the aspect of a black Lt. Governor succeeding Northam being an act of righting a wrong.  

A white Democratic Lt. Governor might be expected to show some backup for the Governor in a way that a black Lt. Governor would not be expected to, given the nature of this issue.  

The BIGGER deal, of course, would be if a Republican were Lt. Governor, and I don't believe there would be much difference if that Republican were moderate Tom Davis or conservative, pro-life extremist Ken Cuccinelli.  But maybe it would.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: February 03, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »

I take it that you are saying this like you are excited, proud and acceptable of it.
Your kind-of-guy, right?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #356 on: February 03, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »

I take it that you are saying this like you are excited, proud and acceptable of it.
Your kind-of-guy, right?
Of course not. I think he should resign.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #357 on: February 03, 2019, 03:17:11 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2019, 03:21:42 PM by Pope Michael Bolton »

They’d still be demanding that he resign (and I certainly would), you guys don’t seem to understand that the condemnation of Northam is coming from a genuine place in contrast to the Republican condemnations of Steve King whose racism was apparently fine by the GOP until he used the term “white supremicist.”  Just because the Republican party happily gives Trump a free pass on being a racist, misogynistic bigot who pals around with anti-Semites like Steve Bannon doesn’t mean that no one on the Democratic side talks like a preacher b/c they go to church every Sunday with respect to these sorts of issues.  All due respect, but this thread honestly reads like OP twisting himself in knots and grasping at straws to find some sort of “Democrats are the real hypocrites here” angle.  And speaking of hypocrisy, where was the Virginia Republican Party’s concern about racism when Corey Stewart was nominated for Senate last year?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #358 on: February 03, 2019, 03:20:32 PM »

They’d still be demanding that he resign (and I certainly would), you guys don’t seem to understand that the condemnation of Northam is coming from a genuine place in contrast to the Republican condemnations of Steve King whose racism was apparently fine by the GOP until he used the term “white supremicist.”  Just because the Republican party happily gives Trump a free pass on being a racist, misogynistic bigot who pals around with anti-Semites like Steve Bannon doesn’t mean that no one on the Democratic side talks like a preacher b/c they go to church every Sunday with respect to these sorts of issues.  This thread honestly reads like OP twisting himself in knots and grasping at straws to find some sort of “Democrats are the real hypocrites angle here.”  And speaking of hypocrisy, where was the Virginia Republican Party’s concern about racism when Corey Stewart was nominated for Senate last year?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »

Your kind-of-guy, right?
Of course not. I think he should resign.

Because he is a Democrat
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #360 on: February 03, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »

They’d still be demanding that he resign (and I certainly would), you guys don’t seem to understand that the condemnation of Northam is coming from a genuine place in contrast to the Republican condemnations of Steve King whose racism was apparently fine by the GOP until he used the term “white supremicist.”  Just because the Republican party happily gives Trump a free pass on being a racist, misogynistic bigot who pals around with anti-Semites like Steve Bannon doesn’t mean that no one on the Democratic side talks like a preacher b/c they go to church every Sunday with respect to these sorts of issues.  All due respect, but this thread honestly reads like OP twisting himself in knots and grasping at straws to find some sort of “Democrats are the real hypocrites here” angle.  And speaking of hypocrisy, where was the Virginia Republican Party’s concern about racism when Corey Stewart was nominated for Senate last year?

Would you condemn Joe Biden for his offensive comments on segregation back in his 30's?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #361 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »

Would you condemn Joe Biden for his offensive comments on segregation back in his 30's?

1) Link?

2) How is it that you somehow managed to come out of this looking like the biggest hypocrite on Atlas?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #362 on: February 03, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »

Looking increasingly likely that Northam was not in the photo and idiot partisans jumped to conclusions again. The blackface was done by a friend with the same pair of pants as are in a different photo. This friend is shorter than Northam. As Klan LARPer is shorter than cool pants friend in blackface, this proves NORTHAM is INNOCENT!

Citation needed. I'm serious. How is it becoming increasingly likely? If so, obviously this changes everything, but I have a hard time believing that after his near admission to the matter the day before he declined resigning.

https://twitter.com/Valnofux/status/1091913317961080832?s=19
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #363 on: February 03, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »

Looking increasingly likely that Northam was not in the photo and idiot partisans jumped to conclusions again. The blackface was done by a friend with the same pair of pants as are in a different photo. This friend is shorter than Northam. As Klan LARPer is shorter than cool pants friend in blackface, this proves NORTHAM is INNOCENT!

Citation needed. I'm serious. How is it becoming increasingly likely? If so, obviously this changes everything, but I have a hard time believing that after his near admission to the matter the day before he declined resigning.

So you’re saying A) Northam was the one in the Klan robe or B) He didn’t have the same pants on in both pictures.  How does that suggest he wasn’t in the picture?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »

So you’re saying A) Northam was the one in the Klan robe or B) He didn’t have the same pants on in both pictures.  How does that suggest he wasn’t in the picture?

Read my first post again. Klan LARPer is SHORTER than man with same pants in both photos! Northam is taller. Daddy Ralph has been vindicated.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2019, 03:44:27 PM »

With Steve King, Republicans are only faced with the loss of one House seat.

If the Democrats drove Northam from office and a Republican Lt. Governor is elevated, their chances for any of their agenda being furthered is stopped, and recent reforms can be undone.  That DOES up the stakes, does it not?

It's easy to do the perceived right thing when there is no downside.  It's really hard to do so when there is ALL downside and no upside.
Arson Plus
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #366 on: February 03, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »

they do elect their offices sepreatly
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2019, 03:53:19 PM »

1) Link?

2) How is it that you somehow managed to come out of this looking like the biggest hypocrite on Atlas?
1) https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/joe-biden-embraced-segregation-in-1975-claiming-it-was-a-matter-of-black-pride
2) I am not responding to slander.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »

Read my first post again. Klan LARPer is SHORTER than man with same pants in both photos! Northam is taller. Daddy Ralph has been vindicated.

Because no two people could possibly own the same kind of pants Roll Eyes
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2019, 04:51:52 PM »

If this thing devolves into a forensic analysis of plaid in the 70s, it's gonna get ugly real fast.  I speak from having been dressed in the 70s.  Of course, I believe plaid was originally a Scot-Irish thing, so it is possible that it's Jim Webb in the photo.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »

More reluctantly to be sure,  I believe they'd be politically forced to do so.

Remember, there was relatively little resistance to Franken resigning even though it would trigger a special election with a non-incumbent. Admittedly thats not the same risk as a given change in control like fuzzys scenario, but a tangible risk for a state that considerably trended R in recent elections. And yet there was little resistance.

Compare this to the man the barricades attitude the Republicans threw down with in a senate race in freaking ALABAMA, which shouldve been a far less contested race than the MN Special Senate race.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #372 on: February 03, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2019, 08:03:31 PM by Pope Michael Bolton »

They’d still be demanding that he resign (and I certainly would), you guys don’t seem to understand that the condemnation of Northam is coming from a genuine place in contrast to the Republican condemnations of Steve King whose racism was apparently fine by the GOP until he used the term “white supremicist.”  Just because the Republican party happily gives Trump a free pass on being a racist, misogynistic bigot who pals around with anti-Semites like Steve Bannon doesn’t mean that no one on the Democratic side talks like a preacher b/c they go to church every Sunday with respect to these sorts of issues.  All due respect, but this thread honestly reads like OP twisting himself in knots and grasping at straws to find some sort of “Democrats are the real hypocrites here” angle.  And speaking of hypocrisy, where was the Virginia Republican Party’s concern about racism when Corey Stewart was nominated for Senate last year?

1) Link?

1) https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/joe-biden-embraced-segregation-in-1975-claiming-it-was-a-matter-of-black-pride
2) I am not responding to slander.

1) I think what Biden said was dumb, gross, out-of-touch and certainly fair game for people to attack him for, but unless I missed something when I skimmed the article, I also wouldn’t put the comments about busing in that article in the same category as what Northam did.  Northam’s actions were far worse.  I didn't see a quote where Biden specifically mentions segregation, but maybe you can identify the specific quote you're referring to.

2) You’re thinking of libel.  Slander refers to a false spoken statement.  
Roblox

« Reply #373 on: February 03, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »

So they were just fine with the racism all along, but the moment he acknowledges that some babies are born unviable, they feel they must take action.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #374 on: February 03, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »

So they were just fine with the racism all along, but the moment he acknowledges that some babies are born unviable, they feel they must take action.

This gets better and better.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies