Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69978 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2019, 05:35:59 PM »

Loses support of one of the statewides.
The rats are abandoning ship. The democratic establishment here is in full turmoil and here I am having the time of my life, having the privilege to watch this unfold bwhahahahahahaha.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2019, 05:38:00 PM »

How stupid does this guy think the people are in his state? The latest excuse (denying it) after already admitting it was him betrays the contempt he (and most establishment Democrats in general) holds for the average Joe.

I bet the MSNBC Moms in NOVA are popping an extra xan and buying another bottle of rosé tonight.

This post is a perfect example of DSA and Bernie supporters' thinly concealed disdain for women.

That must've hit close to home.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »

The burning question for me is how could he have not known this was out there and not be prepared for it? Do people really forget something like this, don't we all go through old photos at some point in life? And what about his classmates who said nothing all these years what were they thinking?

Another burning question is how did all the various political opponents he has had over the years miss this?  Searching old yearbooks is basic Opposition Research 101. Granted, you don't expect to find anything quite this juicy, but still, there's always the chance for something embarrassing.

It was from his medical school yearbook. Most people are totally unaware of their existence and they’re mostly just handed around to fellow classmates. His yearbook in particular was published by the students. Not to mention medical school students wouldn’t care much about them the way high school students would.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »

Loses support of one of the statewides.
The rats are abandoning ship. The democratic establishment here is in full turmoil and here I am having the time of my life, having the privilege to watch this unfold bwhahahahahahaha.

Hitler quote her is just sad that a republican didn't do this. That way he could rally around and say how it's just PC culture from the lives tearing stuff down. Now that the Democrats are actually tearing this dude down, it makes him boo hoo hoo

Good choice mods! This man truly enlivens are Atlas culture
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 06:43:50 PM by Jacobin American »

How stupid does this guy think the people are in his state? The latest excuse (denying it) after already admitting it was him betrays the contempt he (and most establishment Democrats in general) holds for the average Joe.

I bet the MSNBC Moms in NOVA are popping an extra xan and buying another bottle of rosé tonight.

This post is a perfect example of DSA and Bernie supporters' thinly concealed disdain for women.

I’mma keep it real with you, (likely) Grand Wizard Northam fanboy less than 48 hours ago. You guys’s material is really old and laughable. Just give up and try something new.

PS all this shows is my openly contemptuous attitude towards rich people. Rich men, women, White African american, LGBTQ, immigrant, etc...
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2019, 06:42:47 PM »

Your signature is 100% stupid and ridiculous.

How so? Has Northam not been a widely popular Democrat less than just 48 hours ago? And hasn’t Sanders been accused of not being a Democrat countless times? Was that not the case or...?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »

I’mma keep it real with you, (likely) Grand Wizard Northam fanboy less than 48 hours ago. You guys’s material is really old and laughable. Just give up and try something new.
Can you really judge Northam supporters before this event? He did a fantastic job as VA governor, IMO.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »

Can you really judge Northam supporters before this event? He did a fantastic job as VA governor, IMO.

I have to agree here--this is something he hid explicitly so people were unable to form a factual and honest opinion of him.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »

Don’t take it personally. In my (albeit, limited) experience, Jacobin disdains everyone right of Trotsky.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »

I bet the folks of a historic African American community formed by Freedman after the Civil War that has been under threat from Dominion Energy Company, whose CEO wrote and directed a pro-Confederate civil award film, which has the support of Northam to build in a community that has widely rejected the company’s advances are convinced of Northam’s greatness prior to the outrage from these pictures. Northam has been a trash governor and has always been a racist; nobody saw or cared until some pictures showed up.

https://medium.com/@jonsokolow/environmental-racism-in-union-hill-virginia-the-inconvenient-truth-2b8d3d7e62a7
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »

Hurrah, I finally called something right!
Now all ambiguity is gone, Northam’s on his own.
He can jump, or be pushed.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #312 on: February 02, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »

If he doesn't resign after this, I could see a stern call from Barack, Bill, Michelle, and/or Hillary as a final resort.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #313 on: February 02, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »

If he doesn't resign after this, I could see a stern call from Barack, Bill, Michelle, and/or Hillary as a final resort.

That's assuming he's even thinking rationally at this point. What sane person wouldn't have resigned by now? Real possibly he's had a mental breakdown who no longer listens to reason.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2019, 07:32:37 PM »

That's assuming he's even thinking rationally at this point. What sane person wouldn't have resigned by now? Real possibly he's had a mental breakdown who no longer listens to reason.

- Yeah, if he’s still got perspective , Obama threatening a public rebuke could be the last straw.
- If he does end up acting irrationally, I worry we might end up with another Eric Greitens/Roland Burris/Rod Blagovich situation. The whole ‘Screw public opinion and precedent, I want to do this for me’ attitude.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »

- Yeah, if he’s still got perspective , Obama threatening a public rebuke could be the last straw.
- If he does end up acting irrationally, I worry we might end up with another Eric Greitens/Roland Burris/Rod Blagovich situation. The whole ‘Screw public opinion and precedent, I want to do this for me’ attitude.
I'm thinking this will be another Greitens.  He'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming like a first grader to resign.  I envision a joint rebuke from Barack and Michelle by sometime next week.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »

I'm thinking this will be another Greitens.  He'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming like a first grader to resign.  I envision a joint rebuke from Barack and Michelle by sometime next week.

I think his entire cabinet resigning en masse could be another straw. Ultimately the person everyone should be talking to is his wife, probably the only one who could sway him at this point.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »

After this press conference I’m changing my mind to he should resign

I didn’t think he should on the principle of the picture and that things change, but that was a terrible press conference. His time is up.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2019, 08:04:22 PM »

Fyi, this kind of racist bs is classic mid 80s VMI.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Um, kay. How did this guy ever manage to get elected governor?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »

PS all this shows is my openly contemptuous attitude towards rich people. Rich men, women, White African american, LGBTQ, immigrant, etc...
That’s a pretty awful mindset to have
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #322 on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »

Good for Northam. He's scum, but someone has to stand up to this rampant ex post facto social norm imposition.

It's the ex post facto aspect that I object to the most, especially given the totality of Northam's record.
What is ex post facto about it? Do you not think blackface and KKK jokes were known to be morally reprehensible in 1984?

This sort of response would not have happened in 1984.  There would be an apology and that would have been that.  Particularly if the individual was someone with Northam's liberal public record.

I've been out of picket today, but it looks like Northam has lost his mind. 

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #323 on: February 02, 2019, 09:21:54 PM »

Someone's been taking notes from the Northam School of Excuses

Excuse for what? I just dislike wealthy people/rich/upper class/etc... I don’t deny it. But, hating all women? I very highly doubt that.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »

Don't be surprised if the Obamas follow:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies