Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 10:19:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 70862 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2019, 05:46:20 PM »

The same people who managed Lindsay Lohan’s public image relations.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »

I read that Republicans found this after Northam was nominated, but didn’t release it out of fear that too many of their supporters with switch over and vote for Northam. /joking
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »

This is one of those "I'm not saying a darned thing until it's confirmed" type of situations.
It's beyond confirmed now. Too bad Gillespie's people didn't find this, then we wouldn't have this pathetic disgrace as our governor.

Four things are, I think, obvious to everyone here:

1) Ralph Northam needs to resign immediately

2) God really likes screwing with Ed Gillespie

3) You [SirWoodbury] couldn't care less whether Northam is a racist and are only excited about this because Northam is a Democrat and you (wrongly, I suspect) believe Democrats are going to defend Northam

4) You [SirWoodbury] criticizing anyone else's racist behavior is basically the pot calling the kettle black,

WHO THE  DID OPPOSITION RESEARCH FOR GILLESPIE
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »

Congratulations, Governor Fairfax.

Also, which one of you did this?

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »

I marched with him in Charlottesville. Massive FF!
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »

First of all, I do not believe he should resign.  I didn't think Mike Ertel should have had to resign, and I didn't think Al Franken should have resigned until he actually went through a full investigation (though I thought he was guilty).

People change.  That is one of the defining characteristics of life.  People make mistakes.  To crucify someone over past views when (in the case of Northam) they have done almost everything in the present to show that they are supportive of African-Americans is stupid.  His pastor is African-American, for crying out loud!

This speaks to what we have become as a culture.  For events that happened 30 years ago, we are demanding retroactive justice.  I personally believe that a politician should be forced to resign only for comments made in the present, or the near past (5 years).  Steve King, Cindy Hyde-Smith, any others like them.

Second of all, the faux outrage from conservatives is really pissing me off.  After saying that Kavanaugh should be given the excuse of "it was a long time ago", you can't retroactively change that view.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »

First of all, I do not believe he should resign.  I didn't think Mike Ertel should have had to resign, and I didn't think Al Franken should have resigned until he actually went through a full investigation (though I thought he was guilty).

People change.  That is one of the defining characteristics of life.  People make mistakes.  To crucify someone over past views when (in the case of Northam) they have done almost everything in the present to show that they are supportive of African-Americans is stupid.  His pastor is African-American, for crying out loud!

This speaks to what we have become as a culture.  For events that happened 30 years ago, we are demanding retroactive justice.  I personally believe that a politician should be forced to resign only for comments made in the present, or the near past (5 years).  Steve King, Cindy Hyde-Smith, any others like them.

Second of all, the faux outrage from conservatives is really pissing me off.  After saying that Kavanaugh should be given the excuse of "it was a long time ago", you can't retroactively change that view.
Yes they can they dot it all the time. They went in a year from demanding the president be respected to attacking his successor for putting mustard on his burger
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »

Depends on what the events were. If they were actual crimes and not just poor judgement, I think people need to be held accountable. Otherwise, I basically agree.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »

Second of all, the faux outrage from conservatives is really pissing me off.  After saying that Kavanaugh should be given the excuse of "it was a long time ago", you can't retroactively change that view.

That wasn’t really the bone of contention in Kavanaugh's case, the credibility of the accuser and her allegations was. Then again, you already know this.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »

It seems ridiculous to call for a resignation for something he did in 1984, over a generation before he sought public office.

I get the hypocrisy argument, but this is something that's fair game during the election, largely pointless now.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:01 PM »

Depends on what the events were. If they were actual crimes and not just poor judgement, I think people need to be held accountable. Otherwise, I basically agree.

This. Provided that they sincerely apologize, of course.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »

Welp, obviously he should leave and I am not a fan of his anymore, I won’t defend him on that, but the fake convenient Gop outrage and pearl clutching in this thread is so cringeworthy.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »

“Earlier today, a website published a photograph of me from my 1984 medical school yearbook in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive.

“I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now.

“This behavior is not in keeping with who I am today and the values I have fought for throughout my career in the military, in medicine, and in public service. But I want to be clear, I understand how this decision shakes Virginians’ faith in that commitment.

“I recognize that it will take time and serious effort to heal the damage this conduct has caused. I am ready to do that important work. The first step is to offer my sincerest apology and to state my absolute commitment to living up to the expectations Virginians set for me when they elected me to be their Governor.”
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »

Is this considered to be confirmed yet?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »

I marched with him in Charlottesville. Massive FF!
Yeah but that finksing asshole wouldn't even buy us beers after spending the day fighting in the streets with him. Like wtf, rude much? Huh
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »

He confirmed it as him in his statement.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »

The Washington Post has confirmed it, which is good enough for me.
Roblox

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:45 PM »

Wow. He needs to resign immediately.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2019, 06:32:08 PM »

muhhh fake yearbook photo

https://wtvr.com/2019/02/01/governor-ralph-northam-tatement-on-blackface-kkk-robe-yearbook-photo/

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »

Second of all, the faux outrage from conservatives is really pissing me off.  After saying that Kavanaugh should be given the excuse of "it was a long time ago", you can't retroactively change that view.

That wasn’t really the bone of contention in Kavanaugh's case, the credibility of the accuser and her allegations was. Then again, you already know this.

I was thinking of Kevin Cramer when I was writing this, but that's obviously not representative of all  conservatives.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2019, 06:40:02 PM »

He should resign. "It was a long time ago" is not a good rebuttal, and that shouldn't change depending on the political party of the person in question. Unlike many, I'll hold Trump, Kavanaugh, and Northam to the same standard.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2019, 06:42:27 PM »

"The Nazi Party has confirmed Governor Northam is a KKK Nazi ..."

Smiley
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »

Remember when our good friends on the left were calling Ed Gillespie racist? Good times
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »

Virginia Republicans knew about this but they didn't care:

Also, the VA GOP just nominated Chris Stewart for Senate in 2018. The have no room to talk.

Northam should resign. Nothing more, nothing less.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »

Obviously fake photo is obviously fake.

Hi, Ralph.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to: