When will you decide who to support?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  When will you decide who to support?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Q. Above
The first few debates

Once all the major candidates have announced

I'm already supporting / strongly leaning towards a candidate

Other ( Please explain )

I'm a Republican / Not voting in the Dem. Primary

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: When will you decide who to support?  (Read 1886 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »

So, for all the potential Democratic primary voters who are not yet committed to a candidate, when will you (most likely) decide?

I'm personally going to wait until the first few debates before firmly deciding on a candidate to support, especially as I believe in putting my money where my mouth is and donating to that candidate / supporting them pretty actively. So I want to make sure it's someone I really do believe in / who I've gotten to know.

Right now, my top three are 1. Elizabeth Warren 2. Tulsi Gabbard 3. Beto O'Rourke

A combination of any of those three would be a dream ticket for me. But I'm not dismissing any of the other major Democratic candidates besides the obvious (Biden/Booker, ew).

How is everyone else deciding on who to support?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »

I'm leaning toward Harris or Gillibrand, but I won't make a true, real endorsement that I'll act on until all the major candidates announce.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »

I'm leaning toward Harris or Gillibrand, but I won't make a true, real endorsement that I'll act on until all the major candidates announce.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »

Once all of the candidates have announced, I will decide if I will re-register as a Democrat (giving up my GOP primary vote for local constitutional offices in my FL county) or remain a registered Republican.

I would say that my PERSONAL favorite for the Democratic nomination is Sherrod Brown at this point.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:23:24 PM »

I settled on Sherrod Brown after he attacked Trump for his stupid tax bill he signed after GM announced a bunch of factories were closing. I was previously torn between him and Bernie.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »

If Beto runs, I'd support him. But it increasing seems like he doesn't want to run. I'm not sure who'd I support if he doesn't run. My biggest line in the sand is that it has to be someone younger than 60.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »

Right now I think I'm 80% likely to vote for Liz Warren. I want to see her in campaign mode with a larger magnifying glass on here - she did pretty well (I think) on her Iowa tour but she was the only person in the field at that point. I also want to see the whole field to see which niche each candidate occupies. If I think Warren is a horrid campaigner or if some other candidate makes a better play for the pragmatic progressive wing of the party I'll switch but I find that unlikely now.

So, to answer the question, I think my mind will be made up by September or so. Definitely by Iowa.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 08:38:22 PM »

I will probably bounce between a few candidates all the way until the primary Election Day and then coalesce around whoever wins the nomination.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 04:35:12 AM »

I still endorsed Sherrod Brown and if he won't run, Joe Biden. Probably, I will decide when all major candidates declared have announced
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 06:47:28 AM »

It was between Castro and Harris. Harris won my vote due to fact Warren and Harris are transcending the glass ceiling that Hilary tried to do. Either one can win Va, WI and Pa. Virginia is the new bellwether, not Ohio.  Dems shouldnt put Sherrod Brown seat in an R column with DeWine appointment
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »

I made my endorsement of Buttigieg a couple days ago, I think he is overly qualified to lead a country but just not up to conventional standards. Rhodes Scholar, veteran, mayor. He’s incredibly smart and charismatic, and i’m a sucker for the generational argument (I still have to change that in my bio). I’m open to changing it before the primary. I like Beto because he can be populist in a way that appeals to both WWC and suburban voters, and would have the biggest coattails. Harris because she seems very well qualified for the job, would rip Trump apart in a debate, and is the best fit for the environment we saw in 2018. Warren has the best policy argument but I feel like that means she should be in Treasury under whoever wins. There’s obviously options and it would be foolish for anyone to lock themselves in.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »

I endorsed Kamala a week ago.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »

I'm voting in a late primary, so it'll depend on who is still in the race at that point.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »

I could see myself supporting multiple candidates at this juncture (Buttigieg, Gabbard, Gillibrand, Castro) as well as prospective candidates (Bullock, Sanders, Brown, O'Rourke) so I'm going to wait until the first few debates and maybe even the first few primaries and caucuses before narrowing it down to one.

Buttigieg is my favorite as of now, but I honestly don't see him making it past Iowa or New Hampshire so...we'll see.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »

At this time, I have a “favored” candidate (Sanders), but I am still open to changing my mind depending on how things develop over the course of the primaries. For example, one thing which may make me switch my support is if my preferred candidate somehow becomes tainted by scandal.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »

Considering switching to vote Democrat and then back to Independent for the general election since PA is a closed primary state. Not sure yet though I would definitely vote for Bernie if he were the nominee.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »

I will probably bounce between a few candidates all the way until the primary Election Day and then coalesce around whoever wins the nomination.
This. Likely Harris and Beto for me, though if Buttigeig does well by some miracle I'll vote for him in the primary.

Also, the only person who I wouldn't vote for in the general is Tulsi Gabbard; I'd write in Buttigeig for President and Harris for VP.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »

Depends. I'm currently supporting Steve Bullock, even though I'm not sure he actually runs. If he doesn't win the nomination, I'd either support Beto (if he jumps in) or Kamala Harris. Maybe Sherrod Brown if he does better than Harris.
JMT

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »

I'll certainly have my list narrowed down after the first few debates, but I won't make my final decision until after Iowa and NH (I vote in MA, so I don't have to decide until Super Tuesday). After NH, the field will be a lot smaller and I'll have a better idea who my candidate will be.

As of now, Biden and Harris are my top two choices. I imagine both will still be in the race by super Tuesday, so I will likely vote for one of these two.

I'd also consider voting for Beto O'Rourke, Kirsten Gillibrand, Pete Buttigieg, Michael Bennet, Eric Garcetti, and Steve Bullock (while I like Bullock, I do kinda hope he doesn't run so he can run for Senate instead).

Candidates I have firmly ruled out include: Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Tulsi Gabbard. And while I think Sherrod Brown is okay, I've ruled him out too because we can't afford to lose his Senate seat.

Any other candidates I missed I am pretty neutral towards (so I guess I probably won't vote for them, unless all my preferred candidates lose before MA).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »

I'll probably become an actual Gillibrand supporter at some point in the next few months and will then reevaluate when she inevitably drops out after New Hampshire.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »

If he runs,
I’m 100% in for Biden
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »

I'll be changing my registration to vote for Tulsi in the primary if she lasts that long. There is no other Democrat I would be able to support.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »

I've grown apathetic enough that I might just abstain from voting in the primary altogether, unless Biden is still the frontrunner and I vote for whoever has enough support to stop him.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »

If he runs, I'm all in for Bennet. Otherwise, it'll probably be after some of the debates when the candidates' policy positions become more clear.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies