Post Random Maps Here 3.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:16:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post Random Maps Here 3.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Post Random Maps Here 3.0  (Read 170242 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:10:33 PM »
« edited: November 23, 2019, 02:29:16 AM by Calthrina950 »

Here's another scenario which I've devised:

Henry Thomas Ferguson (D-TX)/Amy Jean Klobuchar (D-MN)-61.05%-497 EV
William Holcombe Pryor, Jr. (R-AL)/Paul Davis Ryan (R-WI)-38.76%-41 EV

And here's the county map:

As can be seen, this is a map of an alternate version of the 2016 presidential election, based in an alternate timeline with a divergence point in 1992-George H.W. Bush wins reelection to the Presidency. It is similar, in a way, to the Rutherford Scenario that I posted long ago. What makes this map different is that it is based, as closely as possible, on more modern elections. Most of the state county maps here were derived from elections of the 2000s and 2010s, with several from the 1990s, one from the 1980s, and one (Nevada) from the 1970s.

The incumbent Democratic President, Ferguson, who is a distant relative of the husband and wife Fergusons who were Governors of Texas in the early 20th century, wins a landslide reelection over his Republican opponent, Senator Pryor of Alabama (who is a federal judge in OTL). Pryor's extreme social and economic conservatism play poorly outside of the Deep South, compounded further by the fact that his running mate is Paul Ryan. Ryan's views on the social safety net, particularly for the privatization of Social Security and Medicare, are received very negatively by many voters. Ferguson, who is a JBE-like Democrat, moderate on social issues and solidly liberal on economic issues, wins a decisive landslide, obtaining 61% of the national popular vote. Beating Pryor by a margin of more than 30 million votes, Ferguson carries 46 states and the District of Columbia. Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and South Carolina are the only states to vote for Pryor.

Of the 3,144 counties/independent cities/districts making returns, Ferguson wins in 2,335 (74.27%) while Pryor carries 809 (25.73%). Ferguson carries 487 of the 490 Clinton counties (99.38%) and 1,848 of the 2,622 Trump counties (70.48%); Pryor wins 806 of the 2,622 Trump counties (29.52%) and 3 of the 490 Clinton counties (0.62%). The only three Clinton counties to vote for Pryor are Cobb, Gwinnett, and Henry Counties, Georgia, the three suburban counties around Atlanta that defected to the Democrats in 2016 for the first time since Jimmy Carter. Ferguson wins every other Clinton county outside of Georgia.

Every county in twelve states votes Democratic: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont (in addition to D.C. as well). Ferguson sweeps all of New England, carrying every Trump county in that region; he also wins every Trump county in Alaska, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. Ferguson wins the majority of counties in 43 states, Pryor in 6 (the 4 states that he carries, in addition to Florida and Nebraska). Ferguson and Pryor tie in Idaho, carrying 22 counties each.

Ferguson's coalition is a blend of the New Deal and modern Democratic coalitions. He wins every racial group, carrying whites 53-47%, blacks 95-5%, Hispanics 77-23%, Asians 76-24%, and Others 68-32%. Ferguson dominates in the majority-minority counties across the country-the Black Belt, South Texas, Northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado, Northern Arizona, "bush" Alaska, and the Native American reservations throughout the West (and those in North Carolina and Wisconsin), give him commanding margins. He dominates college-town counties, receiving over 60% of the vote in Clarke County, Georgia, Boone County, Missouri, Hays County, Texas, Monroe County, Indiana, Centre County, Pennsylvania, and Albany County, Wyoming, and over 70% in Boulder County, Colorado, Douglas County, Kansas, Johnson County, Iowa, Athens County, Ohio, Washtenaw County, Michigan, Tompkins County, New York, Charlottesville, Virginia, and Dane County, Wisconsin, to give some examples.

Ferguson demolishes Pryor in the ski resorts and tourist counties out west, obtaining over 60% of the vote in Summit County, Utah and Mono County, California, and over 70% in Alpine County, California, Blaine County, Idaho, Teton County, Wyoming, Pitkin County, Colorado, and San Juan County, Colorado. White liberal bastions-such as Jefferson County, Washington, the counties of the Bay Area, and Windham County, Vermont, give over 70% of their votes to Ferguson. Ferguson also shows considerable strength in traditionally Democratic mining and working-class areas. He receives over 60% of the vote in Sweetwater County, Wyoming, the counties of the Idaho Panhandle, and Greenlee County, Arizona, over 70% in Carbon County, Utah, and Silver Bow County, Montana, and over 80% in Deer Lodge County, Montana, Democratic strongholds of this type in the West.

The traditionally Democratic areas of Appalachia-such as Mahoning, Trumbull, Jefferson, Belmont, and Monroe Counties, Ohio, those of Eastern Kentucky (i.e. Rowan, Breathitt, etc.), Greene, Fayette, Cambria, and Elk Counties, Pennsylvania, the counties of West Virginia, and those of central Tennessee, turn in massive victories for Ferguson, who breaks 60% or 70% of the vote in many of these counties. Other blue-collar areas in the Midwest, such as the Iron Range of Minnesota, Downstate Illinois (i.e. Rock Island, Gallatin Counties), the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the Gary-South Bend region of NW Indiana, and the exurbs of St. Louis, show similarly strong support for the Democratic ticket, with Ferguson maintaining an iron grip on the white working-class voters who supported Trump in 2016, and had defected from Obama, Kerry, Gore, and Clinton. Ferguson also dominates the Little Dixie region of Oklahoma, the traditionally Democratic rural areas of West and East Texas, the rural areas of the Eastern Dakotas, and those of Western Wisconsin. He is particularly strong throughout the rural Northeast.

Ferguson throughly dominates urban areas, receiving over 60% of the vote in Clark County, Nevada (Las Vegas), Miami-Dade County, Florida (Miami), Leon County, Florida (Tallahassee), Fulton County, Georgia (Atlanta), Caddo Parish, Louisiana (Shreveport), East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana (Baton Rouge), Montgomery County, Alabama (Montgomery), Richland County, South Carolina (Columbia), Harris County, Texas (Houston), Bexar County, Texas (San Antonio), Dallas County, Texas (Dallas), Tarrant County, Texas (Ft. Worth), Shawnee County, Kansas (Topeka), Salt Lake County, Utah (Salt Lake City), Lancaster County, Nebraska (Lincoln), Sacramento County, California (Sacramento), King County, Washington (Seattle), Davidson County, Tennessee (Nashville), Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (Charlotte), Fairfax County, Virginia (NoVA), New Castle County, Delaware (Wilmington), Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh), Franklin County, Ohio (Columbus), Marion County, Indiana (Indianapolis), and Fayette County, Kentucky (Lexington).

He breaks 70% in Multnomah County, Oregon (Portland), Los Angeles County, California (Los Angeles), Denver County, Colorado (Denver), Wyandotte County, Kansas (Kansas City-KS), Jackson County, Missouri (Kansas City), Travis County, Texas (Austin), El Paso County, Texas (El Paso), Hennepin County, Minnesota (Minneapolis), Ramsey County, Minnesota (St. Paul), Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (Milwaukee), Cook County, Illinois (Chicago), Cuyahoga County, Ohio (Cleveland), Lucas County, Ohio (Toledo), Jefferson County, Kentucky (Louisville), Shelby County, Tennessee (Memphis), Hinds County, Mississippi (Jackson), Broward County, Florida (Ft. Lauderdale), Durham County, North Carolina (Durham), Montgomery County, Maryland (D.C. suburbs), Albany County, New York (Albany), Essex County, New Jersey (Newark), Hudson County, New Jersey (Jersey City), Hartford County, Connecticut (Hartford), Arlington, Virginia, Alexandria, Virginia, and Honolulu County, Hawaii (Honolulu).

The Ferguson share exceeds 80% in Webb County, Texas (Laredo), Orleans Parish, Louisiana (New Orleans), San Francisco County, California (San Francisco), Wayne County, Michigan (Detroit), Baltimore City, Maryland (Baltimore), Prince George's County, Maryland (D.C. suburbs), New York City, Providence County, Rhode Island (Providence), and Suffolk County, Massachusetts (Boston). And he reaches 90% in the District of Columbia. Ferguson also wins numerous normally Republican urban/metropolitan counties, such as Maricopa County, Arizona (Phoenix), Kern County, California (Bakersfield), El Paso County, Colorado (Colorado Springs), Oklahoma County, Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), Washington County, Arkansas (Fayetteville), and Hamilton County, Ohio (Cincinnati). Other swing metropolitan counties, such as San Diego County, California (San Diego), Fresno County, California (Fresno), Bernalillo County, New Mexico (Albuquerque), Douglas County, Nebraska (Omaha), Kent County, Michigan (Grand Rapids), Knox County, Tennessee (Knoxville), Hamilton County, Tennessee (Chattanooga), Jefferson County, Alabama (Birmingham), Pinellas County, Florida (St. Petersburg), Hillsborough County, Florida (Tampa), and Washoe County, Nevada (Reno), vote for Ferguson as well.

Ferguson wins most suburban regions outside of the South, with only Johnson County, Kansas (Overland Park), the "Donut Counties" around Indianapolis, and some of the suburban counties near Cincinnati remaining Republican. Noted Republican suburban bastions such as Orange County, California, Douglas County, Colorado, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, Livingston County, Michigan, Los Alamos County, New Mexico, and Litchfield County, Connecticut, vote Democratic. Within the South, he wins Loudoun, Prince William, Henrico, and Virginia Beach Counties, Virginia; Wake County, North Carolina (Raleigh); Anne Arundel County, Maryland (Annapolis); Wilson and Rutherford Counties, Tennessee; Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties, Kentucky; Jefferson and Tangipahoa Parishes, Louisiana; Denton, Collin, Montgomery, Williamson, Bell, and Fort Bend Counties, Texas; Osceola and Monroe Counties, Florida; and Cleveland County, Oklahoma.

The suburbs of Jackson (Rankin and Madison Counties), Birmingham (Shelby County), Atlanta (Cobb, Gwinnett, Henry, as mentioned above), Charleston and Columbia (Berkeley, Horry, Lexington, Aiken Counties), and Charlotte (Union, Cabarrus Counties) remain loyally Republican, as does Williamson County, Tennessee. Several urban counties such as Greenville County, South Carolina (Greenville), Duval County, Florida (Jacksonville), and Escambia County, Florida (Pensacola), also stick with the Republicans, as do the counties of the Treasure and Gulf Coasts.

Close States:
Margin of victory less than <5%:
Mississippi-1.00%
Idaho-1.84%
Florida-2.30%

Margin of victory >5%, but <10%:
Nebraska-5.22%
Virginia-7.36%

Georgia-8.25%
Kansas-9.03%
Utah-9.73%
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:43:51 PM »

A modified version of the Ferguson Scenario county map which I posted previously:

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:56:19 PM »

America on COVID-19

Pro-Healthcare
Pro-Economy

This map almost exactly matches the 2016 election, with some exceptions.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »

This map almost exactly matches the 2016 election, with some exceptions.

There’s actually a lot of differences. The west is a lot more on the rightist side of this issue when compared to the 2016 results, for example.

I meant that it closely parallels the 2016 election in terms of the state positions on the matter, and how they voted in the general election. And I did note that there were some exceptions-Nevada and Colorado being two of the most obvious to me.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »

The 2012 election results by county in the Ferguson Scenario. What is the state map?

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 11:15:30 PM »

The 2012 election results by county in the Ferguson Scenario. What is the state map?

I came up with this state map:

Very close. The only state you got wrong was Oklahoma, which Ferguson wins by 0.90% (close margins in Oklahoma and Tulsa Counties +Democratic strength in Little Dixie). South Dakota, rather than North Dakota, is a plurality Ferguson win, and Michigan is >60% Democratic. Kansas is also majority Republican (rather than plurality), and Idaho falls just short of the 60% mark for Romney. But otherwise, very close.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 09:47:33 AM by Calthrina950 »

Very close. The only state you got wrong was Oklahoma, which Ferguson wins by 0.90% (close margins in Oklahoma and Tulsa Counties +Democratic strength in Little Dixie). South Dakota, rather than North Dakota, is a plurality Ferguson win, and Michigan is >60% Democratic. Kansas is also majority Republican (rather than plurality), and Idaho falls just short of the 60% mark for Romney. But otherwise, very close.

I gave OK to Romney because the county map reminded me of Ford's win in 1976.
I even entertained giving Kansas to Ferguson! I guess Johnson County netted Romney a lot of votes.
And I think I had a lapse on Michigan thinking Washtenaw and Wayne were on 60% while they are actually on 70%.
But in general, I am surprised by how accurate I was! Especially given I know zero - zilch - nada - about this Ferguson Scenario which I imagine is your alternate history timeline.

It is an alternate history timeline, and mainly an electoral scenario which I devised, as I haven't gone into full detail about it. Ferguson is obviously a fictional character, a former Senator/Governor of Texas who is a descendant of some RL Texas Governors in the last century. He beats an unpopular incumbent Romney in 2012 and wins reelection by a landslide four years later against Senator William Pryor, Jr. of Alabama (who is in RL a federal judge, but here is a Republican politician). In fact, I'll go ahead and post the county map for that election. I'm curious as to what state map you think would be the outcome here:

Also, I forgot to mention that Georgia is a 50% Republican state, not >60% Republican. The actual state map for the first election is this:

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »

I even entertained giving Kansas to Ferguson! I guess Johnson County netted Romney a lot of votes.
And I think I had a lapse on Michigan thinking Washtenaw and Wayne were on 60% while they are actually on 70%.
But in general, I am surprised by how accurate I was! Especially given I know zero - zilch - nada - about this Ferguson Scenario which I imagine is your alternate history timeline.

It is an alternate history timeline, and mainly an electoral scenario which I devised, as I haven't gone into full detail about it. Ferguson is obviously a fictional character, a former Senator/Governor of Texas who is a descendant of some RL Texas Governors in the last century. He beats an unpopular incumbent Romney in 2012 and wins reelection by a landslide four years later against Senator William Pryor, Jr. of Alabama (who is in RL a federal judge, but here is a Republican politician). In fact, I'll go ahead and post the county map for that election. I'm curious as to what state map you think would be the outcome here:

Also, I forgot to mention that Georgia is a 50% Republican state, not >60% Republican. The actual state map for the first election is this:

Wow Ferguson breaks 90% in Elliott County?

Yes. He receives 94.13% there. Elliott County is Ferguson's best county in the mainland United States, and his second best county-equivalent overall after Kusilvak Census Area, Alaska (where he receives 97% of the vote). What do you think would be the state map here, though? I don't think you saw that question.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »

Yes. He receives 94.13% there. Elliott County is Ferguson's best county in the mainland United States, and his second best county-equivalent overall after Kusilvak Census Area, Alaska (where he receives 97% of the vote). What do you think would be the state map here, though? I don't think you saw that question.

Yes, I saw that question but I'll answer it later because right now I'm using my cellular phone and doing stuff with maps from it is complicated

That's fine.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 03:28:50 PM »

Yes, I saw that question but I'll answer it later because right now I'm using my cellular phone and doing stuff with maps from it is complicated

Are you able to take a look at the map now?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »

This is what I came up with:

We can call it the modern version of the Johnson landslide?

Once again, very close. Iowa is >60% Democratic and Idaho is majority Democratic-though it is the closest state won by Ferguson. Otherwise, you're correct. This is the actual map:

This is a modernized version of the Johnson election, with some differences (i.e. Arizona and Louisiana being Democratic here, Ferguson running at Obama-2012 levels in the remainder of the Deep South).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »

This is a modernized version of the Johnson election, with some differences (i.e. Arizona and Louisiana being Democratic here, Ferguson running at Obama-2012 levels in the remainder of the Deep South).

Wow. I honestly found this more difficult than the previous, initially

Why so? Was it specific county results that you struggled over?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »

I was struggling in deciding if there enough urban counties Ferguson 60% to make the state 60%, or in other cases enough urban counties Ferguson 70% to make the state 70%

I see. I know you had the same problem with Michigan when deciding on the 2012 map.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »

I was struggling in deciding if there enough urban counties Ferguson 60% to make the state 60%, or in other cases enough urban counties Ferguson 70% to make the state 70%

I see. I know you had the same problem with Michigan when deciding on the 2012 map.

Do you have a thread with your alternate timeline? Where can I find it?

I don't have a thread, but I do have an article over on Fiction Wiki: https://fiction.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016_(Ferguson_Scenario). If you go down to the Results by State section, you can find the individual results for each state. If you click on a state, it will take you to that state's page. I've calculated the results by county for every state.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 05:00:02 PM »

Do you have a thread with your alternate timeline? Where can I find it?

I don't have a thread, but I do have an article over on Fiction Wiki: https://fiction.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016_(Ferguson_Scenario). If you go down to the Results by State section, you can find the individual results for each state. If you click on a state, it will take you to that state's page. I've calculated the results by county for every state.

Wow! Thanks

You are welcome. I'd appreciate any comments that you have.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »

Here's a map of the 2016 Senatorial election results by county in the Ferguson Scenario, including the results of special elections in New Mexico and Tennessee. How do the states vote for United States Senate?

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »

Here's a map of the 2016 Senatorial election results by county in the Ferguson Scenario, including the results of special elections in New Mexico and Tennessee. How do the states vote for United States Senate?

Are the senate candidates made up too? I'd love to know who's winning such a margin in FL in this day and age

All of the Senate candidates are real people. As I've said, this is within the Ferguson Scenario (https://fiction.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016_(Ferguson_Scenario).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »

Are the senate candidates made up too? I'd love to know who's winning such a margin in FL in this day and age

All of the Senate candidates are real people. As I've said, this is within the Ferguson Scenario (https://fiction.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016_(Ferguson_Scenario).
Okay, I'll bite. Who's winning every county of Oklahoma here?

Brad Henry, the last Democratic Governor of Oklahoma.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »

[blip]

Neat, I just read the page about Florida. What did Pryor do to alienate Cubans? And who was the Senate candidate?

I haven't exactly elaborated on it, but it would probably be some kind of offensive remark, or some foreign policy stance-perhaps akin to what caused Cubans to trend to Obama and Clinton. As for the Senate, the Democratic Senator would be Jim Davis (who ran for and lost the 2006 gubernatorial election to Charlie Crist).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 11:00:12 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 09:08:49 PM by Calthrina950 »

Here's another county map. This is the map of the 2008 election results by county in the Ferguson Scenario. Mitt Romney, then the incumbent Governor of Massachusetts, defeats Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio to succeed President Al Gore:

What are the results by state, based upon this map? And what are your thoughts about it?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 08:43:50 PM »

Here's another county map. This is the map of the 2008 election results by county in the Ferguson Scenario. Mitt Romney, then the incumbent Governor of Massachusetts, defeats Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio to succeed President Al Gore:

What are the results by state, based upon this map? And what are your thoughts about it?

That's my take.

Bush - Dukakis rehash?

Almost, but not quite. This is the actual map:

It does resemble the 1988 election between Bush and Dukakis in many ways, though Romney wins seven Dukakis states (Washington, Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, West Virginia, New York, Massachusetts) and loses two Bush states (Illinois and Michigan), both of them by narrow margins. He outperforms Bush in the Great Plains States and the Interior West, and runs about even with him in the American Southwest, the South, and the Northeast. Romney would basically be a moderate, suburban Northeastern Republican, very similar to Bush, while Kucinich would be an unabashedly liberal, populist Democrat, though possessing many of the same characteristics as Mondale and Dukakis. 2008 would be a Republican year, coming out of two terms of Al Gore, and with a desire for change.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »

Very interesting. Maybe you should make a new thread with maps from this universe you've created, I would certainly be interested to see more

I may try to do so in the future. I have a few more maps from the scenario that I'll post here later.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 11:58:49 AM »

In fact, here is the next map from the Ferguson Scenario. This is a map of the presidential results by congressional district in the 2016 election:

President Ferguson wins 371 congressional districts; Pryor wins 64. Ferguson wins all 78 districts in the Northeast, 92 of the 94 districts in the Midwest, 92 of the 102 districts in the West, and 93 of the 155 districts in the South. Every district has been precisely calculated, and the closest Ferguson victories would be in OK-01 (Tulsa) and VA-02 (Virginia Beach). The closest Pryor victory would be in VA-05 (Charlottesville), which he would carry with a plurality, though all districts on the map are indicated with an absolute percentage. Of the 41 districts which Democrats gained in the OTL 2018 elections, Ferguson wins 36 of them and Pryor 5 (CA-48, CA-49, SC-01, VA-07, VA-10). All three Republican pickup districts (MN-01, MN-08, PA-14) vote for Ferguson with more than 60% of the vote.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »

Decided to extrapolate the 1992=1968 thing I did to the modern day. Had to flip the closest Bush '92 win (Tennessee) to put Clinton in the Nixon spot

1992 (1968)

Gov. Bill Clinton, 274 votes (43.42%)
President George H. W. Bush, 264 votes (42.72%)
Ross Perot (13.53%)

1996 (1972)

President Bill Clinton, 515 votes (60.67%)
Senator Bob Dole, 23 votes (37.52%)

2000 (1976)

Governor George W. Bush, 311 votes (50.08%)
President Al Gore, 227 votes (48.02%)

2004 (1980)

Senator John Kerry, 365 votes (50.75%)
President George W. Bush, 173 votes (41.01%)
Senator John McCain (6.61%)

2008 (1984)

President John Kerry, 417 votes (58.77%)
Former Vice President Elizabeth Dole, 121 votes (40.56%)

2012 (1988)

Vice President John Edwards, 347 votes (53.37%)
Governor Mitt Romney, 191 votes (45.65%)

2016 (1992)

Senator Marco Rubio, 351 votes (43.01%)
President John Edwards, 187 votes (37.45%)
Donald Trump (18.91%)
Excellent series of maps. It's very interesting how things would have played out.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 06:45:49 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2020, 06:54:00 PM by Calthrina950 »

Here's another series of maps for the Ferguson Scenario. These maps depicts how whites voted by state in the 2008 (Romney landslide), 2012 (decisive Ferguson win), and 2016 (Ferguson landslide) elections.

First, here's 2008:

Romney wins 66% of the white vote in his 2008 landslide, in which he defeats Representative Dennis Kucinich of Ohio by 12.5% nationwide (55.9-43.4%). He carries white voters in 49 of the 50 states, losing them only in Rhode Island (which is Kucinich's best state) and in the District of Columbia (where he manages to obtain 26% of the white vote). Kucinich's margins of victory in Hawaii, Illinois, Michigan, and Minnesota are provided by non-white voters; Asians and Pacific Islanders in Hawaii, blacks in the remainder. Romney annihilates Kucinich among white voters in the Deep South (breaking 90% in Georgia!) and also demolishes him in the Upper South and the Mormon Corridor; Kucinich does best among white voters in the Pacific Northwest, the Great Lakes States, and the Northeast.

Here's 2012:

Romney still wins the white vote, carrying it 53.6-45.5% against Gov. Henry Ferguson of Texas, while Ferguson beats him nationwide by 10.43% (54.8-44.3%). Romney wins the white vote in 26 states; Ferguson in 24 (and the District of Columbia). He takes a plurality of whites in California, while Ferguson carries a plurality of whites in New Jersey. Once again, Romney does best in the Deep South and the Mormon Corridor, while Ferguson does best in the Pacific Northwest, Great Lakes, and Northeast. In two states (Rhode Island and West Virginia), more then 60% of white voters cast a Democratic ballot. Ferguson's margins of victory in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Maryland, Louisiana, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, and South Dakota are provided by nonwhite voters, with Hispanics the dominant element in the American Southwest and California, blacks in the South, and Native Americans in South Dakota.

And here's 2016:

Taking 61.05% of the national popular vote, Henry Ferguson also wins a majority of the white vote in his reelection bid, making him one of only two Democrats (alongside Al Gore in 2004) to do so in this timeline's history since 1964. 52.6% of white voters cast their ballots for Ferguson, joining 94.8% of black voters, 76.8% of Hispanic voters, 76.3% of Asian voters, and 67.8% of other voters in doing so. The President wins the white vote in 35 states and D.C. In 11 other states (Arkansas, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Virginia), his margin of victory is once again provided by nonwhite voters, though Ferguson loses white voters by single digits in Arkansas, Idaho, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, Nebraska, and Tennessee.

Once again, white voters in the Deep South vote overwhelmingly Republican, with William Pryor garnering over 80% of them in his home state of Alabama, the only state where he did better than Romney. Ferguson manages to get at least 20% of white voters in Georgia (lost by 8.25%), South Carolina (lost by 11.81%), and Mississippi (lost by just 1.00%, the closest state in the election). As in 2008 and 2012, the white voters of the Pacific Northwest, Great Lakes States, and Northeast are among the best for Democrats, and Ferguson performs strongly among them in Hawaii, Kentucky, and West Virginia as well (and of course in D.C.).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies