Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:10:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 129691 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: April 08, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »

I'm sorry, I "agree" with Bernie Sanders on almost everything, but I cannot stand him. The problem is that his supporters are absolutely hideous. At this point I'll even take Joe Biden over him.

You're not supporting Trump?
Higgins
« Reply #1151 on: April 08, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »

I'm sorry, I "agree" with Bernie Sanders on almost everything, but I cannot stand him. The problem is that his supporters are absolutely hideous. At this point I'll even take Joe Biden over him.

I have to admit his die hard suppoters are some of the ugliest people I've ever come across, and I am torn between him and Biden, but his recent comments have me leaning toward Bernie.

If Bernie is the only way we can get a Democrat who is not slobbering over social justice in the White House, then he has my vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1152 on: April 08, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »

No serious person supports open borders in the first place.

It's just a scare word.

Actually there is one place in the world with effectively open borders. Guess where.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1153 on: April 08, 2019, 06:37:04 PM »

I have to admit his die hard suppoters are some of the ugliest people I've ever come across, and I am torn between him and Biden, but his recent comments have me leaning toward Bernie.

If Bernie is the only way we can get a Democrat who is not slobbering over social justice in the White House, then he has my vote.

So you are looking to support a Democrat who will jettison the concerns of some of the party's most important members of their coalition? I really don't get how social justice became such a dirty word. Oh wait, I do. The right wing setting the narrative, as usual.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1154 on: April 08, 2019, 06:48:59 PM »

So you are looking to support a Democrat who will jettison the concerns of some of the party's most important members of their coalition? I really don't get how social justice became such a dirty word. Oh wait, I do. The right wing setting the narrative, as usual.

Just because Bernie is not actively catering to the social justice left (in fact, he's striking me as wanting to run a more pragmatic campaign this time) doesn't mean he won't look to solve their concerns in office. Like last time, there's not a dichotomy here: he can tackle both economic and social inequality with his vision for the country.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1155 on: April 08, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »

Just because Bernie is not actively catering to the social justice left (in fact, he's striking me as wanting to run a more pragmatic campaign this time) doesn't mean he won't look to solve their concerns in office. Like last time, there's not a dichotomy here: he can tackle both economic and social inequality with his vision for the country.

I'm sure he will, I'm just saying that the obsession over "social justice warriors" as some sort of threat is watering down what social justice actually means. The concept still includes what a President Sanders would recognize as concerns over social inequities that should be addressed.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1156 on: April 08, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »

It’s interesting how you refer to the concerns of folks who vote for Democrats damn near unanimously with such disdain.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1157 on: April 08, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »

Can we stop with lumping Bernie’s whole base with these trolls on social media? For all these endless Bernie or bust, burn down the DNC if we don’t get our way posters like 90% of his base voted for Hillary. There is a clear disconnect between his actual base and these online trolls
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1158 on: April 08, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »

Can we stop with lumping Bernie’s whole base with these trolls on social media? For all these endless Bernie or bust, burn down the DNC if we don’t get our way posters like 90% of his base voted for Hillary. There is a clear disconnect between his actual base and these online trolls

This. Let's not forget more 2008 Hillary supporters voted McCain over Obama than Sanders supporters did Trump over Clinton.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1159 on: April 08, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »

Bernie is catering to the social justice left though. He talks constantly about Black people, the civil rights movement, how there's so many women of color working for his campaign, how there's an illegal immigrant working for his campaign. He talks about social justice all the time but but he shouldn't, he gets no credit.

He thinks talking like this is going to help him with Black people. It won't. This type of rhetoric doesn't actually appeal to Black people. It appeals to middle class white women but that demographic actively hates him and is not going to change. Black people don't hate him and their support could change, they just largely don't know who he is. Right now, most Black people support Biden, who is one the least Social Justice-y candidates but he has high name recognition.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1160 on: April 08, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »

This. Let's not forget more 2008 Hillary supporters voted McCain over Obama than Sanders supporters did Trump over Clinton.

A lot of people cite this fact as if it means something, but you're comparing apples and oranges. The 2008 election was a lopsided Democratic win, so there was little to disinsentivize protest voters from switching their party vote.  Basically, nobody cared if a bunch of deadenders voted McCain because Obama was all but guaranteed a win anyway. The 2016 election was obviously a much more closely run contest and threre should have been ample pressure to stick with the party.  Different context, different incentives.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1161 on: April 08, 2019, 10:38:32 PM »

Bernie is catering to the social justice left though. He talks constantly about Black people, the civil rights movement, how there's so many women of color working for his campaign, how there's an illegal immigrant working for his campaign. He talks about social justice all the time but but he shouldn't, he gets no credit.

He thinks talking like this is going to help him with Black people. It won't. This type of rhetoric doesn't actually appeal to Black people. It appeals to middle class white women but that demographic actively hates him and is not going to change. Black people don't hate him and their support could change, they just largely don't know who he is. Right now, most Black people support Biden, who is one the least Social Justice-y candidates but he has high name recognition.
He talks about black people?! The horror!!
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1162 on: April 09, 2019, 02:11:19 AM »

He sounds like the dad from Get Out.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #1163 on: April 09, 2019, 11:33:00 AM »

A lot of people cite this fact as if it means something, but you're comparing apples and oranges. The 2008 election was a lopsided Democratic win, so there was little to disinsentivize protest voters from switching their party vote.  Basically, nobody cared if a bunch of deadenders voted McCain because Obama was all but guaranteed a win anyway. The 2016 election was obviously a much more closely run contest and threre should have been ample pressure to stick with the party.  Different context, different incentives.
Nobody thought Trump would win in 2016
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1164 on: April 09, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »

He sounds like the dad from Get Out.

By the way, I would have voted for Obama for a third term if I could.

dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1165 on: April 09, 2019, 01:53:07 PM »

This. Even some right wingers were prepping to make the best of a Clinton victory, where 2008 was much closer before September when Lehman brothers collapsed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1166 on: April 09, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »

This. Even some right wingers were prepping to make the best of a Clinton victory, where 2008 was much closer before September when Lehman brothers collapsed.

McCain was even leading in mid September.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1167 on: April 09, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »

Patently false.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1168 on: April 09, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »

First, this is not entirely true. Second, that's not even what I said. To repeat, "the 2016 election was obviously a much more closely run contest."  Are you really going to argue that?  I mean, on Nov 6, 538 published an article titled "Don’t Ignore The Polls — Clinton Leads, But It’s A Close Race."
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1169 on: April 10, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1170 on: April 10, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »

They’re not coming on the 15th. You all can quote this.
Glad I was wrong. Knew he was stalling because he could no longer keep up the facade of "I'm poor!! The returns are VERY boring!!" Roll Eyes
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1171 on: April 10, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »

Glad I was wrong. Knew he was stalling because he could no longer keep up the facade of "I'm poor!! The returns are VERY boring!!" Roll Eyes

His Senate financial disclosures already showed that he's not poor.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1172 on: April 10, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »

You can't even give him credit when he does something you want.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1173 on: April 11, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2019, 07:40:52 PM by henster »

Someone has noticed Bernie no longer says 'millionaires and billionaires' it's just 'billionaires' primarily, now that he himself is a millionaire.

Bumaye

« Reply #1174 on: April 12, 2019, 04:41:05 AM »

Someone has noticed Bernie no longer says 'millionaires and billionaires' it's just 'billionaires' primarily, now that he himself is a millionaire.

Seriously being as old as Bernie and being for that long in congress simply makes you a millionaire. Doesn't change his message or his voting record.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies