Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:02:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 129139 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »

I dont get why everyone is so opposed to his candidacy.
He is old and a lot of people don't like the way he conducted himself when he was mathematically eliminated from the nomination. We don't owe him anything. I'd like to leave the 2016 primary in the past. He would be a terrible president anyway. Warren would be much more competent.

I should have phrased that differently. I dont know why an overrepresented amount of people on Twitter and Atlas seem to oppose his candidacy. Polling would disagree with your statement.

Also, while Warren is a pretty good policy wonk, she has the charisma of a brick(this is coming from one of her adoring constituents). If the Left is depending on Warren to be the standard bearer, then the Left has a problem.
Polling is just name recognition. It doesn't mean anything.

Sanders is not winning the primary and he's not going to get close to winning.

The arguement of "Name Rec" is starting to fall apart, especially when you look at the current name rec numbers.

Ill be using the most recent Morning Consult numbers:

(Never heard Of)
Biden- about 5%
Sanders- about 5%
Harris- 21%
Warren- 14%
Booker- 27%
Beto- 33%

At this point, most of the challengers are getting pretty well known, and still, the numbers havent really changed besides the increase by Harris. We havent seen them debate and campaign, but that could also have a positive or negative effect on both Biden and Sanders' campaign.

So no, its not just name rec.

I also dont see how Sanders isnt going to win. He has one of the better starts in the primary, and a much easier coalition he can piece together due to how the delegate system works.
Just...LOL.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »

He is old and a lot of people don't like the way he conducted himself when he was mathematically eliminated from the nomination. We don't owe him anything. I'd like to leave the 2016 primary in the past. He would be a terrible president anyway. Warren would be much more competent.

I should have phrased that differently. I dont know why an overrepresented amount of people on Twitter and Atlas seem to oppose his candidacy. Polling would disagree with your statement.

Also, while Warren is a pretty good policy wonk, she has the charisma of a brick(this is coming from one of her adoring constituents). If the Left is depending on Warren to be the standard bearer, then the Left has a problem.

The arguement of "Name Rec" is starting to fall apart, especially when you look at the current name rec numbers.

(Never heard Of)
Biden- about 5%
Sanders- about 5%
Harris- 21%
Warren- 14%
Booker- 27%
Beto- 33%

At this point, most of the challengers are getting pretty well known, and still, the numbers havent really changed besides the increase by Harris. We havent seen them debate and campaign, but that could also have a positive or negative effect on both Biden and Sanders' campaign.

I also dont see how Sanders isnt going to win. He has one of the better starts in the primary, and a much easier coalition he can piece together due to how the delegate system works.
... So you are just gonna ignore that Biden has a double-digit lead to start with?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »

I can't help but feel we're going to get to 50+ pages on this thread eventually, only for him to announce he's not running.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »

I also dont see how Sanders isnt going to win.

Please for the love of God tell us you meant to write “is”.

You’re gonna be extremely embarrassed otherwise when Bernie Sanders fails to win the nomination. This post is extremely arrogant even by your standards.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »

I can't help but feel we're going to get to 50+ pages on this thread eventually, only for him to announce he's not running.

TBH, I thought he wasn't going to run until yesterday when he literally recorded an announcement video. It'd be very bizarre for him not to run unless he also has, like a "I'm not running" video and is just debating in his head which one to release.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »

I really don't understand this forum's visceral hatred of Bernie Sanders.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2019, 06:04:08 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2019, 08:28:34 AM by Comrade Funk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wddZ8rh2M

Ready for the return of the bros? They're coming back for a reunion tour!

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »

We all receive monthly checks by the US Chamber of Commerce and the corporate media to slander him.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »

Because he cost the 2016 election (Hillary was not entitled to votes and failed to make her case), all his supporters are racist and sexist, he's racist and sexist, we all hate women and want African-Americans to die.

From what I can gather, this is the level of hyperbole that Sanders Derangement Syndrome sufferers go to.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wddZ8rh2M

Ready for the return of the bros? They're coming back for a reunion tour!

Lol I recall how the YouTube BernieBro-Sphere loved the idea of having Speaker Barbara Lee over Pelosi but now that she’s endorsing the black woman for president over Saint Bernard they’re having a meltdown.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »

(Never heard Of)
Biden- about 5%
Sanders- about 5%
Harris- 21%
Warren- 14%
Booker- 27%
Beto- 33%

... So you are just gonna ignore that Biden has a double-digit lead to start with?

I didnt phrase that correctly, thats my bad. What I mean is that, I dont see how Sanders has no chance to win, as some on the forum are saying. I dont think Sanders is guaranteed the nomination, just that he has a pretty strong start for it.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »

I also dont see how Sanders isnt going to win.

Please for the love of God tell us you meant to write “is”.

You’re gonna be extremely embarrassed otherwise when Bernie Sanders fails to win the nomination. This post is extremely arrogant even by your standards.

Thanks for pointing that out. Didnt realized how I bungled that sentence.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »

Biden (born 1942) is so underrated by this forum. Look at his polling numbers! He's our best guy to beat Trump, and it doesn't matter what he might have said or done previously. If you criticize him or any candidate like Harris, you're hurting the Democrats' chances of winning and helping Trump/Russia! And people who say that they might not support certain Democratic candidates in the GE are the worst!

Sanders (born 1941) is way too old and so overrated! I don't care what his polling numbers say, that's just name recognition, and he'll crash and burn and fall 30% in the polls once Republicans say "sociuhlist!" and snap their fingers. He also didn't kiss Hillary's feet during the 2016 primary (he had the audacity to run against her!!! And then didn't drop out instantly), so it's HIS fault she lost! I'll never vote for him in a GE, and he's not even a Democrat, so why doesn't he run as an Independent? (Of course, I'd hate him even more if he did that, so forget I said that!)

No inconsistencies here Smiley
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2019, 07:32:00 PM »

How do you scare a BernieBro?

Basic political science.

Sanders is the perfect candidate if the DNC wants to lose the rust belt, white women, and start the flow of millennials to the GOP.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2019, 07:42:21 PM »

Basic political science.

Sanders is the perfect candidate if the DNC wants to lose the rust belt, white women, and start the flow of millennials to the GOP.

This makes little to zero sense at all. Sanders does exceptionally well among younger voters regardless of colour or gender, and is reasonably popular in the industrial states.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #315 on: February 17, 2019, 07:44:33 PM »

Basic political science.

It seems you are the one lacking in understanding of basic political science.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »

A lot of hot takes here for sure.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »

Sanders is doomed because the Super Tuesday Deplorables don't like that he's a Jew- descendant of slave traders. Pretending otherwise is delusional.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2019, 08:02:25 PM »

This thread...wow.

First of all, it's been incredibly obvious that he was running for a while now. Just "Bernie is running" shouldn't have been news to anyone. So people are basically just using it as an excuse to sling mud in every damn direction.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #319 on: February 17, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »

(Never heard Of)
Biden- about 5%
Sanders- about 5%
Harris- 21%
Warren- 14%
Booker- 27%
Beto- 33%

I didnt phrase that correctly, thats my bad. What I mean is that, I dont see how Sanders has no chance to win, as some on the forum are saying. I dont think Sanders is guaranteed the nomination, just that he has a pretty strong start for it.
definitely, especially if Warren gets out early.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #320 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »

This thread...wow.

First of all, it's been incredibly obvious that he was running for a while now. Just "Bernie is running" shouldn't have been news to anyone. So people are basically just using it as an excuse to sling mud in every damn direction.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #321 on: February 17, 2019, 10:10:00 PM »

Just like other corners of the internet, I think people claiming to be left of center who hate him are a very vocal minority.  Dems here and elsewhere are broadly fine, if not enthusiastic, with him.
SCNCmod

« Reply #322 on: February 18, 2019, 04:44:33 AM »

Although I obviously think Bernie has every right to run... I think he will look back and see the decision to do so as a mistake.

Bernie left the 201 Primary on a high & with a lot of increase influence. 

I think he will definitely have much less support in 2020... The only alternative in not Hillary, Many want new face & maybe a younger candidate, There are many progressive alternative to split the vote, some think the whole Clinton Bernie divide is too divisive and we need to move on, etc, etc

... and a much weaker run in 2020, will also diminish the clout Bernie built up in 2016.

It also may hurt is image in that running in 2020 since 1) his chances are much weaker ... and 2) there are plenty of current candidate to represent the progressive views ... which may make Bernie look less principled and more like he developed a Bigger ego after the 2016 run.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #323 on: February 18, 2019, 05:12:06 AM »

Just like other corners of the internet, I think people claiming to be left of center who hate him are a very vocal minority.  Dems here and elsewhere are broadly fine, if not enthusiastic, with him.
That's a good point. The critics are always going to be very loud. Most democrats like most of the candidates. In 2016 most democrats liked BOTH Sanders and Clinton, but you would never have thought so from the internet mud-slinging. I just hope this time we can keep the mud-slinging to a minimum (fat chance) and at the least keep the criticism civil. Disagree with the candidates on issues. Call them out on mistakes. But keep it reasonable. All of our candidates want to move the country in more or less the same direction and that direction is the exact opposite of the direction the republicans want. Everybody should keep this in mind. I will certainly support the eventual democratic nominee 100% whether it is Sanders or Bloomberg.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2019, 08:44:39 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies