Harris argued to keep an innocent man in prison
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:25:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Harris argued to keep an innocent man in prison
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Harris argued to keep an innocent man in prison  (Read 3204 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Daniel-Larsen-Murder-Conviction-Overturned-Innocence-Project-198996291.html
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »

Bernie is never going to be President no matter how much you try to tear other people down.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »

Everyone makes mistakes
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:54:33 PM »

It's pretty serious if it goes over people's lives, the same people that Harris claims she is for.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »

It's pretty serious if it goes over people's lives, the same people that Harris claims she is for.
You support Trump, you have no room to talk. Trump wanted 5 young Black and Latino boys to be sentenced to DEATH over a crime they never committed.

Trump has still NEVER apologized to them to this very day.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »

Harris is probably my least favorite Democrat running, and stuff like this does not change my view of her, even if it was from a few years back.

Is there any more elaborate details and quotes on her exact argument here? As it stands it does not paint her in a good light, but i'm curious if there was some sort of legal language that required her to act in this way.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »

Bernie is never going to be President no matter how much you try to tear other people down.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »

Why progessives must be so arrogant? They don't know they are in the same Democratic Party as are Clinton mainstreamers?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »

Why progessives must be so arrogant? They don't know they are in the same Democratic Party as are Clinton mainstreamers?

You do know that there are many more independents than Democrats these days?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »

You do know that there are many more independents than Democrats these days?

They identify as independents.  Doesn't mean they vote as independents. 
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »

Is there any more elaborate details and quotes on her exact argument here? As it stands it does not paint her in a good light, but i'm curious if there was some sort of legal language that required her to act in this way.
Yeah, this is her biggest weakness. When people accuse you of something and your defense is something complex and long-winded it comes across as making excuses.... this is going to be a real problem for her. Regular people don't listen past the initial headline and don't want to hear something that takes longer than 5 seconds to explain it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »

Maybe because they've been largely ignored for . . . honestly I think the last truly left wing President in any regard was Carter or LBJ.
Joey1996

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »

How dare he tear someone down for trying to keep an innocent person imprisoned.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »

Yes, clearly Harris is the victim here.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »

Yeah, this is her biggest weakness. When people accuse you of something and your defense is something complex and long-winded it comes across as making excuses.... this is going to be a real problem for her. Regular people don't listen past the initial headline and don't want to hear something that takes longer than 5 seconds to explain it.
Listen I don't have an outright hatred of Harris or anything, but her record as AG is spotty at best. Some of these problems probably do have complicated explanations, but some of them she really hasn't even bothered defending. In particular her response to the Kevin Cooper case was just atrocious. She denied him a chance to take DNA testing and then after the NYT published an article about it she called them and said "she felt awful". Her tweet urging Jerry Brown to allow for DNA testing didn't even include an apology or explanation. 
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 09:51:46 PM »

Listen I don't have an outright hatred of Harris or anything, but her record as AG is spotty at best. Some of these problems probably do have complicated explanations, but some of them she really hasn't even bothered defending. In particular her response to the Kevin Cooper case was just atrocious. She denied him a chance to take DNA testing and then after the NYT published an article about it she called them and said "she felt awful". Her tweet urging Jerry Brown to allow for DNA testing didn't even include an apology or explanation. 
I agree. In the week since she has announced, more stuff has come out that has given me extreme pause. It was easy to hand wave some of the stuff as trolling and reaching, but she needs to be very frank about some of the decisions she made. That was a problem I had with Hillary ignoring legitimate criticisms in hopes that not giving it life made it go away.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 11:19:31 PM »

I agree. In the week since she has announced, more stuff has come out that has given me extreme pause. It was easy to hand wave some of the stuff as trolling and reaching, but she needs to be very frank about some of the decisions she made. That was a problem I had with Hillary ignoring legitimate criticisms in hopes that not giving it life made it go away.
Yeah, I agree. I still support her as of now because the other declared candidates I don't care for. She needs to openly and honestly address this situation. That's why I will be watching her town hall in Iowa on Monday.

Also, she did say this on Twitter today:
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 02:51:01 AM »

This is not a mistake. This is vile abuse of power by an unscrupulous and amoral careerist.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 04:02:35 AM »

Nobody who has served within the hemisphere of law enforcement can reasonably be trusted to make good decisions in a public capacity regarding criminal justice issues. They either become a byproduct of an entrenched and overzealous system that's hellbent on punishing anybody they can get their hands on, or join it because they're already innately programmed to view the world in such a way. The ones who want to run for office are the worst among them, because they have the added desire to look "tough on crime" and will do anything to anybody to sell that image for electoral purposes.

People can support Harris for whatever reasons they so choose, but there is no rational overlap between supporting her and supporting aggressive criminal justice reform at the federal level. Nevertheless, her likely campaign and coalition will almost certainly be riddled with this contradiction.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »

Yeah, I agree. I still support her as of now because the other declared candidates I don't care for. She needs to openly and honestly address this situation. That's why I will be watching her town hall in Iowa on Monday.

Also, she did say this on Twitter today:

Roger Stone is out on bail for non-violent process offenses because he has $250,000.00 to drop down on bail.  An ordinary defendant would be out on bond if they had $25,000.00 to plop down on this issue.

Many persons are incarcerated in pretrial status because they have legitimately been deemed to be dangerous to their victims, risks to extract vengeance against their accusers or intimidate their accusers into silence.  In this category, we have many men who are confined without bond pending trial on Domestic Violence charges, some of which are only misdemeanors.  Harris has been fine with this.  (And, in truth, many Domestic Violence perpetrators pose real risks to their alleged victims if released, even some charged with misdemeanors.)  Many people are given higher bail for what some would seem to be lesser charges because of lengthy histories of criminality and violence, and because of histories of failing to appear in court while on bond in the past.  And this doesn't even touch those being held in jail pending resolutions of their Parole or Probation violations; these defendants, because they have already been found guilty of their offenses, do not have 8th Amendment rights to bail.

Roger Stone is, quite frankly, the person whose 8th Amendment rights have been trounced upon the most, all things considered, and a person with a legit grievance in that regard (although he certainly won't complain).  Kamala Harris is one of the worst of the lot running for the Democratic nomination; her record is what it is.  She's wanted to have it both ways on criminal justice issues, and her record is something of a mixed bag. 

The OP's issue does point out a very legitimate flaw in our justice system, and particularly in our system of appeals and postconviction relief.  In too many instances in the appeals process, actual innocence is not a ground for an appeal; the grounds have to be flaws in the trial process.  I don't know what the answer is, and I do think that there should be some "finality" of court verdicts, but when a trial was conducted well but there is real evidence that a jury arrived at the wrong conclusion, there needs to be a reasonable process where the incarcerated person can be heard and receive justice.  Vilifying Roger Stone isn't the way to rectify that very real problem, but I suppose it will distract Harris's potential political supporters from her real record, and that's politics, so go for it, I suppose.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 11:08:44 AM »

The OP isn't worried about that. He's worried that Harris is "stealing" the nomination from Bernie Sanders.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »

The OP isn't worried about that. He's worried that Harris is "stealing" the nomination from Bernie Sanders.

Um . . . it's a pretty valid concern, I'd say.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »

Um . . . it's a pretty valid concern, I'd say.

No, it isn't. The voting hasn't even started yet and already there are claims of fraud (sounds an awful lot like Republicans when it comes to Democrats). There are several other people in the race anyway and it's going to be pretty hard to accuse all of them plotting against Sanders.
James Monroe

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »

Bernie Sanders loves to keep people of color in his state prisons. Ask the black population who he neglected when they tried calling him about the number of black men unfairly stationed in cells.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vermonts-black-leaders-we-were-invisible-to-bernie-sanders
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »

Bernie Sanders loves to keep people of color in his state prisons. Ask the black population who he neglected when they tried calling him about the number of black men unfairly stationed in cells.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vermonts-black-leaders-we-were-invisible-to-bernie-sanders

Ah yes, the Bernie Derangement Syndrome poster needed to make sure this post which didn't even mention him once had to be about him.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies