Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:08:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137629 times)
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: November 26, 2019, 08:32:12 PM »

Here's a follow-up to the last article I posted. Buttigieg himself personally called and asked to listen to his perspective. No defenses, no attacks, no fighting. Just simple dialogue about what brought Harriot to write what he wrote, and what he could do to understand the black perspective.

Major, major props to him. This is how he gets the black community behind him.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1126 on: November 26, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »

‘Pete Buttigieg Is A Lying MF,’ Michael Harriot Argues In Viral Op-Ed On Candidate’s Past Comments On Race

The trend, “Pete Buttigieg is a Lying MF,” began after an article with that headline was published that day. The article — published by The Root author Michael Harriot — blasted Buttigieg for his record and past comments on the African American community and education. “I want to be clear: Pete Buttigieg is a lying motherer,” Harriot wrote. “This is not a misunderstanding,” he continued. “This is not a misstatement. Pete Buttigieg went to the best educational institutions America has to offer and he—more than anyone on the goddamned planet—knows that everything he just said is a baldfaced lie.” Harriot claimed that Buttigieg — a Harvard University graduate — had never attended a school with more than a 10 percent African American population.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5762715/pete-buttigieg-lying-mf/

Cinemark

« Reply #1127 on: November 26, 2019, 10:16:15 PM »

‘Pete Buttigieg Is A Lying MF,’ Michael Harriot Argues In Viral Op-Ed On Candidate’s Past Comments On Race

The trend, “Pete Buttigieg is a Lying MF,” began after an article with that headline was published that day. The article — published by The Root author Michael Harriot — blasted Buttigieg for his record and past comments on the African American community and education. “I want to be clear: Pete Buttigieg is a lying motherer,” Harriot wrote. “This is not a misunderstanding,” he continued. “This is not a misstatement. Pete Buttigieg went to the best educational institutions America has to offer and he—more than anyone on the goddamned planet—knows that everything he just said is a baldfaced lie.” Harriot claimed that Buttigieg — a Harvard University graduate — had never attended a school with more than a 10 percent African American population.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5762715/pete-buttigieg-lying-mf/

The post above you is worth a read.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #1128 on: November 27, 2019, 03:31:03 AM »

Here's a follow-up to the last article I posted. Buttigieg himself personally called and asked to listen to his perspective. No defenses, no attacks, no fighting. Just simple dialogue about what brought Harriot to write what he wrote, and what he could do to understand the black perspective.

The question now is does he internalize what he learned and bend his positions to match this new enlightenment, or does he continue his platitudes and roll forward as if nothing happened, hoping people would remember he listened that one time, and not the lack of follow through. Given his habits thus far, I'm not going to hold my breath.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1129 on: November 27, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2019, 12:30:22 PM by GP270watch »

This guy will be toxic to the Democratic Party. He represents all the mistakes Democrats made in the past and that they seem hellbent on repeating.

Democrats need a coalition of voters to win, and African Americans are a key block of that coalition. You can't run somebody this bad with a key block of the voters you need.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1130 on: November 27, 2019, 01:03:57 PM »

This guy will be toxic to the Democratic Party. He represents all the mistakes Democrats made in the past and that they seem hellbent on repeating.

Democrats need a coalition of voters to win, and African Americans are a key block of that coalition. You can't run somebody this bad with a key block of the voters you need.

For every Black voter who's not turning out for Pete in the GE, he could win 2 more White voters and therefore the GE against Trump ...

There's a large non-voter pool in the US, where Pete can tap into.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1131 on: November 27, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »

For every Black voter who's not turning out for Pete in the GE, he could win 2 more White voters and therefore the GE against Trump ...

Two white dudes running to appease white voters. With one of those folks being Trump who basically runs a white nationalist campaign. What a future we can look forward to!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1132 on: November 27, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »

What evidence is there that he could do this?

He's polling really well in states where the electorate already has a good opinion of him and where he enjoys high name ID.

In Iowa, he's about level with Trump and leads Trump by 7 points in NH. That means he's getting a much higher share among Whites against Trump than Hillary did ...

If Pete can match Trump among Whites next year, only a handful of additional Blacks and Hispanics are needed to win.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1133 on: November 27, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »

Two white dudes running to appease white voters. With one of those folks being Trump who basically runs a white nationalist campaign. What a future we can look forward to!

That's quite a bit over the top.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1134 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »

Only if you haven't been paying attention for the last 4 years.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1135 on: November 27, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »

What evidence is there that he could do this?

He's polling really well in states where the electorate already has a good opinion of him and where he enjoys high name ID.

In Iowa, he's about level with Trump and leads Trump by 7 points in NH. That means he's getting a much higher share among Whites against Trump than Hillary did ...

If Pete can match Trump among Whites next year, only a handful of additional Blacks and Hispanics are needed to win.
True, but high minority turnout is helpful for Senate and House races.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1136 on: November 27, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »

Cool. I put him in the D-list with Ojeda and Delaney. Castro is C-list bordering on D-list.

Funny to read now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1137 on: November 27, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »

What non-voter pool does Pete appeal to? His supporters are among the most reliable voters in the U.S., skewing older and college educated.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1138 on: November 27, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »

The dumbest strategy ever.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1139 on: November 27, 2019, 10:38:56 PM »

The dumbest strategy ever.
Yeah, agreed.  And I say that as a Pete stan.

The days of a 1996-style electoral map are over.
Higgins
« Reply #1140 on: November 27, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »

The days of a 1996 style America are over too.  Sad.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1141 on: November 28, 2019, 12:31:43 AM »

Am I wrong for thinking his toxicity with black voters in the primary might not translate to the general election? I’m mean Hillary was great with black voters in the primary and that didn’t translate come November
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1142 on: November 28, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »

Am I wrong for thinking his toxicity with black voters in the primary might not translate to the general election? I’m mean Hillary was great with black voters in the primary and that didn’t translate come November

The fact is that it was always going to be nigh-impossible to replicate Obama '12 turnout amongst  African-Americans without a black candidate that excited them. 2012 was an exception with respect to black turnout, not a baseline. Hillary did good with black turnout, but not great as Obama did.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1143 on: November 28, 2019, 01:22:05 AM »

The question now is does he internalize what he learned and bend his positions to match this new enlightenment, or does he continue his platitudes and roll forward as if nothing happened, hoping people would remember he listened that one time, and not the lack of follow through. Given his habits thus far, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Still, credit where credit is due.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1144 on: November 28, 2019, 01:24:49 AM »

Still, credit where credit is due.
Yeah, Elizabeth Warren would have sent Pressley to call him, if she even thought of calling him at all.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1145 on: November 28, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »

I think this is all BS. Mayor Pete’s lack of current appeal to minority communities probably has next to nothing to do with any of his actual political positions or statements he has made. These criticisms mostly comes from a few internet leftists, very few of whom are actually minorities themselves.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1146 on: November 29, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »

Hillary Clinton matched her husband’s 1992 turnout with black voters. She did very well with the group so long as you’re comparing her performance to white Democrats. I believe only Kerry in 2004 surpassed her but that statistic is deceptive since turnout was considerably up with every group that year.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1147 on: November 29, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »

Whites and Arabs were the ones in WI, PA and MI that voted for Trump, Stein or Johnson that cost Hilary, AA voted Clinton
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1148 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »

Ocasio-Cortez accuses Buttigieg of pushing “GOP talking point” to vilify tuition-free college plans
Buttigieg, who has positioned himself as a centrist alternative to progressive candidates on issues like health care and education, launched a new campaign ad in Iowa taking aim at the tuition-free college proposals.

“I believe we should move to make college affordable for everybody,” Buttigieg says in the ad. “There are some voices saying, ‘Well, that doesn’t count unless you go even further, unless it’s free even for the kids of millionaires.’”

“But I only want to make promises that we can keep,” he added. “Look, what I’m proposing is plenty bold. I mean, these are big ideas. We can gather the majority to drive those big ideas through without turning off half the country before we even get into office.”
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1149 on: November 29, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »

Hillary Clinton matched her husband’s 1992 turnout with black voters. She did very well with the group so long as you’re comparing her performance to white Democrats. I believe only Kerry in 2004 surpassed her but that statistic is deceptive since turnout was considerably up with every group that year.
Honestly, I am surprised she did worse than Kerry and only matched Bill.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies