Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 12:00:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137982 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: July 05, 2019, 10:22:17 PM »

Galaxie

« Reply #651 on: July 05, 2019, 10:32:23 PM »

Pete and Biden looking more similar by the day. Equally beholden to billionaires, equally tone-deaf.

Biden/Buttigieg 2020?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #652 on: July 05, 2019, 10:52:48 PM »

a source tells me this is, at best, a misrepresentation and, at worst, utterly fabricated
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #653 on: July 05, 2019, 11:48:53 PM »

a source tells me this is, at best, a misrepresentation and, at worst, utterly fabricated

You seriously expect us to believe he was able to raise $25 million in the span of three months through small donors while polling 5% nationally? Alright.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #654 on: July 05, 2019, 11:52:51 PM »

You seriously expect us to believe he was able to raise $25 million in the span of three months through small donors while polling 5% nationally? Alright.

dying at "a source" okay nancy drew
Galaxie

« Reply #655 on: July 05, 2019, 11:58:14 PM »

dying at "a source" okay nancy drew

"a fellow Pete 2020 Official Facebook Group member told me"

This is big, corporate money. The grassroots isn't there for Pete.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #656 on: July 06, 2019, 01:50:14 AM »

Buttigieg has done the biggest U-turn in this campaign season which has gone under the radar. He used to say Medicare for all was a moderate option with the governments operating hospitals like in UK as the true left wing option.

Now he is into the Public option. I don't know about other policy stances but he has gone from hard left to now in the moderate column & like Beto, his numbers have tanked & a large part of it has gone to Warren (apart from Harris).
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #657 on: July 06, 2019, 07:13:46 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2019, 08:00:37 AM by 20PETE20 »

No, but the whole “he’s selling his soul to the billionaire class because he’s not a real progressive” is stupid. Why would these billionaires invest in a candidate with 0 connection to Washington, Wall St., or even state government? You do that for a candidate like Booker or Beto who already has a history of exchanging favors for donations. I’m not saying it’s *good* that Pete is taking money from billionaires, but i’m also not saying it’s part of a sinister plot to be a center-right Democratic President even after he’s named climate change, racial justice, and job automation as his biggest concerns of the campaign.

Edits below because I typed this response immediately after waking up so not all my thoughts were in order:

1. When I said "a source tells me", I was mocking the tweet posted. Of course I don't have any sources.

2. Pete raising money is critical to him building a national profile. While some look at this and say "oh he's taking money from billionaires but he's only polling at 4%? Lolz." we have to step back and remember that, just 6 months ago, he was considered an obscure candidate with 0 chance of surviving the year. To go from that to polling at ~4-6% nationwide against a former Vice President, several US Senators, Governors, and Congresspeople is impressive and definitely stems from his ability to raise money.

3. Outraising Biden and Bernie, the two clear-cut frontrunners, whilst maintaining an average donation of roughly $50 (from 294,000 donors, no less) does not indicate that he's getting heaps and heaps of money from billionaires, but rather a handful of donations with support mixed in from the "grassroots".

3b. You may say "well, Bernie had 3 times as many donors as Pete and raised less money because he doesn't accept money from billionaires" but Bernie has a national profile and ran pretty much the same exact campaign for President 4 years ago, so he doesn't need to establish or re-establish anything, he's getting money from the same donors this time around. Pete does not have that luxury.

4. Calling Pete a "centrist" or "basically a Republican" is hilarious and wrong and a smear designed to keep in-fighting up so Trump can just re-hash the same arguments during the general election campaign. No doubt the Kamala Harris supporters among you are totally cool with the "Kamala is a cop" meme, and I'm sure the Bernie supporters are happy with his reputation as a sell-out who's only using the Democratic Party as his own political springboard, and the Beto supporters love the fact that he...-checks notes-...can ride a skateboard and speak Spanish and told his wife that a baby turd was an avocado...so the personal attacks are lame. Policy critiques are valid and good for the party, but dying on a hill labelled "Pete doesn't care about black people" helps nobody.

5. Thank you if you read this far without closing the page in disgust, I am going to drink coffee and cry that Kawhi Leonard signed with the Clippers now
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #658 on: July 06, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »

Also, the meme that Pete is somehow racist or condones racism is dead and completely false. Pete released a comprehensive policy proposal to invest in black communities, black-owned businesses, and cut incarceration rates.

From his website:

Freedom means racial justice, and reversing the damage of past and present racism to our communities, policies, and politics.

Create a commission to propose reparations policies for Black Americans and close the racial wealth gap.

Black Americans were enslaved and then systematically excluded from full citizenship through laws and policies that purposely relegated Black Americans into second-class personhood and that sanctioned racial discrimination. The effects are ongoing, and exclusionary policies linger. America must enter a new era that promotes political, economic, social, and racial equity in part by specifically reversing the harms of racist policies and practices.

Only by remedying the vestiges of slavery and confronting our nation’s shameful history of racism can we move to a place where full freedom is attainable for Black communities.

ADDITIONAL POLICIES

Invest in entrepreneurship and home ownership
Eliminate health disparities, including in maternal and infant health
Defend affirmative action and combat the opportunity gap
Protect and expand voting rights
Support self-determination of Indigenous populations
Redress inequality in our criminal justice system
Dismantle the prison-industrial complex to end the crisis of mass incarceration

That's what someone would do to avoid backlash for actually being a racist
Tarrin Kael
Ganon27
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.84, S: -6.70

« Reply #659 on: July 06, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »

Buttigieg has done the biggest U-turn in this campaign season which has gone under the radar. He used to say Medicare for all was a moderate option with the governments operating hospitals like in UK as the true left wing option.

Now he is into the Public option. I don't know about other policy stances but he has gone from hard left to now in the moderate column & like Beto, his numbers have tanked & a large part of it has gone to Warren (apart from Harris).

"Medicare for all who want it" is not the public option - it's a true Universal Healthcare system similar to the ones present in European countries like Germany. Anyway, this isn't exactly a flip-flop. You can say that Medicare for all is moderate and socialized healthcare is the true left wing option while supporting neither. I don't remember him ever supporting anything other than "Medicare for all who want it."

Anyway, his policies are why I support him. There wouldn't be much to differentiate him from the rest of the field otherwise.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #660 on: July 06, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »

No, but the whole “he’s selling his soul to the billionaire class because he’s not a real progressive” is stupid. Why would these billionaires invest in a candidate with 0 connection to Washington, Wall St., or even state government? You do that for a candidate like Booker or Beto who already has a history of exchanging favors for donations. I’m not saying it’s *good* that Pete is taking money from billionaires, but i’m also not saying it’s part of a sinister plot to be a center-right Democratic President even after he’s named climate change, racial justice, and job automation as his biggest concerns of the campaign.

Edits below because I typed this response immediately after waking up so not all my thoughts were in order:

1. When I said "a source tells me", I was mocking the tweet posted. Of course I don't have any sources.

2. Pete raising money is critical to him building a national profile. While some look at this and say "oh he's taking money from billionaires but he's only polling at 4%? Lolz." we have to step back and remember that, just 6 months ago, he was considered an obscure candidate with 0 chance of surviving the year. To go from that to polling at ~4-6% nationwide against a former Vice President, several US Senators, Governors, and Congresspeople is impressive and definitely stems from his ability to raise money.

3. Outraising Biden and Bernie, the two clear-cut frontrunners, whilst maintaining an average donation of roughly $50 (from 294,000 donors, no less) does not indicate that he's getting heaps and heaps of money from billionaires, but rather a handful of donations with support mixed in from the "grassroots".

3b. You may say "well, Bernie had 3 times as many donors as Pete and raised less money because he doesn't accept money from billionaires" but Bernie has a national profile and ran pretty much the same exact campaign for President 4 years ago, so he doesn't need to establish or re-establish anything, he's getting money from the same donors this time around. Pete does not have that luxury.

4. Calling Pete a "centrist" or "basically a Republican" is hilarious and wrong and a smear designed to keep in-fighting up so Trump can just re-hash the same arguments during the general election campaign. No doubt the Kamala Harris supporters among you are totally cool with the "Kamala is a cop" meme, and I'm sure the Bernie supporters are happy with his reputation as a sell-out who's only using the Democratic Party as his own political springboard, and the Beto supporters love the fact that he...-checks notes-...can ride a skateboard and speak Spanish and told his wife that a baby turd was an avocado...so the personal attacks are lame. Policy critiques are valid and good for the party, but dying on a hill labelled "Pete doesn't care about black people" helps nobody.

5. Thank you if you read this far without closing the page in disgust, I am going to drink coffee and cry that Kawhi Leonard signed with the Clippers now

He is a sellout though.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #661 on: July 06, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »

Hey deadprez I really appreciate your thoughtful, insightful responses of “no u” to the very valid arguments I made.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: July 06, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »

Hey deadprez I really appreciate your thoughtful, insightful responses of “no u” to the very valid arguments I made.

No thanks. He's a sellout
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #663 on: July 07, 2019, 12:46:13 AM »

I know it's a bit off-topic, and I posted it already in the doppelganger thread, but nobody reads it there (aside from Bagel23 👍🏻).
I stumbled across this guy named Jan Alsleben on a game show, on the German version of The Chase, and I knew that he reminded me of someone, but I couldn't find out of whom. Does anyone else think that he looks like a blond version of Buttigieg?

I already pasted the timestamp into the video URL:

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #664 on: July 07, 2019, 05:09:01 AM »

"Medicare for all who want it" is not the public option - it's a true Universal Healthcare system similar to the ones present in European countries like Germany. Anyway, this isn't exactly a flip-flop. You can say that Medicare for all is moderate and socialized healthcare is the true left wing option while supporting neither. I don't remember him ever supporting anything other than "Medicare for all who want it."

Anyway, his policies are why I support him. There wouldn't be much to differentiate him from the rest of the field otherwise.

It is a public option because Medicare for all who wants is the Bernie position. It is Medicare for all because everyone wants it. Who doesn't have free guaranteed Medicare for the rest of his/her life? They can have Employer Insurance & not use it if need be or not use Medicare till they leave their jobs or change it. What Pete meant & in interviews is to have a Medicare like plan for the uninsured which does nothing for the millions of people with high co-pays & the plan is not thought out & has no specifics.

Medicare for all is not the German model. The German Model is essentially a Single Payer Medicare for all for 90% of the people, ex people earning below 50K a year & private plans for those above it. Not only is that complicated due to transition but also is unconstitutional by US laws as the SC which made Medicaid expansion optional will never allow income criterias & if it did it can be easily destroyed by Republicans who will just reduce the Income Criteria to crazy low level.

Just to add, even Israel with Private Insurance has a Non-Profit model. You can't have an efficient healthcare system with such price gouging. Also no European countries has this kind of healthcare burden linked to jobs especially for small enterpreneurs. If you want to have the European model, you have to scrap current Insurance model linked to jobs, expand Medicare by a huge  manner & create Non-Profit Private Insurance like Israel did.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2019, 09:10:57 PM »

Deadprez is just a troll who ads literally zero value to any discussion. It’s best to just save the effort and ignore everything he has to say Smiley
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »

Deadprez is just a troll who ads literally zero value to any discussion. It’s best to just save the effort and ignore everything he has to say Smiley

hey now i contribute, bigly
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #667 on: July 09, 2019, 01:40:45 AM »

Amazing for the hate for Buttigieg on Atlas, even among many Atlas Democrats simply because they are betting on certain other horses in the race.

Don't think he's quite ready to make it in '20 for DEM-PRES, despite the $$$.

As I have stated before, many DEM voters look at him as a rising star, and he sort of reminds me in a positive fashion of British Actor John Simm with an extensive television history in UK TV over the Years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Simm

Politically, in a crowded race hard to see how the DEM Party will select him as their candidate for '20 running against Trump, despite the Midwest and Vet Millennial Vibes....

There is another DEM debate coming up towards the end of July and poll numbers rise and min quals will likely make the marks closer to the end-game.

Buttigieg needs to deal with his *Mayor situation* in South Bend, and overall Civil Rights items to become a proper contender for '20 (Not sure that Biden has completely crossed that trust line yet, excepting older AA voters)....
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #668 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »

Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #669 on: July 11, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »

Surprised that this hasn't gotten more traction. I think he should have done a tour to majority-AfAm neighborhoods or a better press roll out to majority AfAm radio stations to help get this plan out there.

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #670 on: July 15, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »

There's no reason Pete shouldn't be running ads on black radio and BET right now. He has the $$ to do it and nothing to lose.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #671 on: July 15, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »

There's no reason Pete shouldn't be running ads on black radio and BET right now. He has the $$ to do it and nothing to lose.

If he ran an ad campaign with black leaders endorsing his Douglass Plan, that would be great for his optics.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #672 on: July 16, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »

South Bend police officer who killed black man resigns

https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/07/16/south-bend-officer-resigns-eric-jack-logan-ryan-oneill-pete-buttigieg/1741940001
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #673 on: July 16, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »

Resigning isn't enough. he should be in prison.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #674 on: July 16, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »

Probably, but due process and all that
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies