Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:04:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137659 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 10, 2019, 01:51:44 AM »

Bad tactics, man. Buttigieg is so color blind that he doesn't see the inherent racism of this stunt.

A white guy drinking beer with black guys is racist?

Okay 1960s George Wallace.

You can't be serious right now

Explain how it's racist?

Perpetuates the stereotype of black people drinking on 40s in the hood.

That's an amazingly specific stereotype that I've never heard of. I imagine you would have to be considerably old to be aware of it, if it even exists.

That's definitely a major stereotype, even though I knew plenty of white people who would drink 40s in public. The stores always put it in a brown paper bag so that it's not completely obvious what they're doing.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #526 on: June 10, 2019, 02:51:37 AM »

Bad tactics, man. Buttigieg is so color blind that he doesn't see the inherent racism of this stunt.

Explain how it's racist?

That's an amazingly specific stereotype that I've never heard of. I imagine you would have to be considerably old to be aware of it, if it even exists.

Lol im black and under 30 years old. How have you never heard this? Surely the black guy who tweeted this out doesn't think it's amazingly specific.

It's certainly not a thing in Puerto Rico, and it's not something I've seen in media or experienced in conversations or in any social circles in the mainland all my life.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to not have been exposed to all this hyper-racialized crap.

Puerto Rico isn't like the U.S. I guess because you are from Wisconsin (only assuming), you haven't seen it. But it definitely is a thing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #527 on: June 10, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »

Explain how it's racist?

Lol im black and under 30 years old. How have you never heard this? Surely the black guy who tweeted this out doesn't think it's amazingly specific.

It's certainly not a thing in Puerto Rico, and it's not something I've seen in media or experienced in conversations or in any social circles in the mainland all my life.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to not have been exposed to all this hyper-racialized crap.

Puerto Rico isn't like the U.S. I guess because you are from Wisconsin (only assuming), you haven't seen it. But it definitely is a thing.

Born and raised in PR, but I've been living in Wisconsin for close to a decade now.

But yeah, no, I definitely haven't seen it, but, at this point, it doesn't surprise me all that much that it exists.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #528 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »

Explain how it's racist?

Born and raised in PR, but I've been living in Wisconsin for close to a decade now.

But yeah, no, I definitely haven't seen it, but, at this point, it doesn't surprise me all that much that it exists.

It's exceptionally common lol! Even from my ivory tower, you see it about twice a year.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #529 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »

Explain how it's racist?

I can confirm - I heard jokes about this when I was in school in Southern Virginia. With that said I think explicit references to this stereotype were rare but show a person drinking out of a paper bag to most voters in that area and something like this would come to mind.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #530 on: June 10, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »

Explain how it's racist?

It's exceptionally common lol! Even from my ivory tower, you see it about twice a year.

Well, as I said, up until now, I wasn't aware of it.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:35:34 PM by Speaker YE »

Pete is possibly the second most boring democrat candidate this election and him forcing  gentrifying of his city obviously shows he does not have the best interests for minority groups. Can the democrats of this forum actually be smart and support someone way better, come on there is like 20 people running and almost every single one other than Beto is more interesting.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2019, 05:37:21 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:35:48 PM by Speaker YE »

Pete is possibly the second most boring democrat candidate this election and him forcing gentrifying of his city obviously shows he does not have the best interests for minority groups. Can the democrats of this forum actually be smart and support someone way better, come on there is like 20 people running and almost every single one other than Beto is more interesting.

It is surprising that he has caught on so much, I don't really find him particularly charismatic and like you said he is pretty boring.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:36:39 PM by Speaker YE »

Pete is possibly the second most boring democrat candidate this election and him forcing  gentrifying of his city obviously shows he does not have the best interests for minority groups. Can the democrats of this forum actually be smart and support someone way better, come on there is like 20 people running and almost every single one other than Beto is more interesting.

It is surprising that he has caught on so much, I don't really find him particularly charismatic and like you said he is pretty boring.

That’s part of his appeal. People like the fact that he speaks calmly and softly on the campaign trail. He’s like the perfect foil to Trump.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:36:54 PM by Speaker YE »

That’s part of his appeal. People like the fact that he speaks calmly and softly on the campaign trail. He’s like the perfect foil to Trump.
Mark my words he is Ben Carson 2.0
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2019, 06:42:40 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:31:51 PM by Speaker YE »

Pete Buttchug is possibly the second most boring democrat candidate this election and him forcing  gentrifying of his city obviously shows he does not have the best interests for minority groups. Can the democrats of this forum actually be smart and support someone way better, come on there is like 20 people running and almost every single one other than Beto is more interesting.

In terms of being a flavor of the month candidate, maybe. But Buttigieg is nowhere near as boring or incompetent as Carson is.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:37:14 PM by Speaker YE »

In terms of being a flavor of the month candidate, maybe. But Buttigieg is nowhere near as boring or incompetent as Carson is.
He will flounder when it comes out how badly he treated the african american community in his city and is a corporate. I can see the appeal with Ben Carson with the conservatives, he was like able, someone who you could have a beer with. Pete is just being propped up by the media and his only appeal is to older Caucasians who binge watch CNN
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:38:10 PM by Speaker YE »

You can think he's boring, you can dislike him, but if he was boring, he'd not catch on. It's as simple as that. No small city Mayor can become one of the leading candidates in a field of over 20 without being interesting, and the credit for that already astounding accomplishment is his and his team's. Also:

Thanks for revealing why you're particularly sour about him.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:38:36 PM by Speaker YE »

You can think he's boring, you can dislike him, but if he was boring, he'd not catch on. It's as simple as that. No small city Mayor can become one of the leading candidates in a field of over 20 without being interesting, and the credit for that already astounding accomplishment is his and his team's. Also:

Amazing this isn't a moderatable offense. I can't be the only one who reported something so egregious.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #539 on: June 12, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:38:56 PM by Speaker YE »

Amazing this isn't a moderatable offense. I can't be the only one who reported something so egregious.

You're not alone.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #540 on: June 12, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:39:24 PM by Speaker YE »

You're not alone.

Not sour at all and I don't get how a frat ritual is offensive? Its a silly nickname for someone who has done a disservice to the african american community and is only doing "well" because he is being propped up in the media. I don't get democrats. They make fun of Republicans for putting up generic white males but are infatuated of a generic white male  
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #541 on: June 12, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:40:13 PM by Speaker YE »

You're not alone.

Not sour at all and I don't get how a frat ritual is offensive? Its a silly nickname for someone who has done a disservice to the african american community and is only doing "well" because he is being propped up in the media. I don't get democrats. They make fun of Republicans for putting up generic white males but are infatuated of a generic white male  

Gonna assume they thought the butt part referred to something rhyming with banal which in turn was supposed to be homophobic.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #542 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:39:47 PM by Speaker YE »

You're not alone.

Apologies to both of you - I didn't understand the reference that I'll be editing out at first.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #543 on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:15 PM »

You're not alone.

Gonna assume they thought the butt part referred to something rhyming with banal which in turn was supposed to be homophobic.
I like how the Liberals ignore the fact that his polices hurt the African-American community in South Bend but call me out for the silly nickname. I really could care less about his sexuality. If you are hurting communities of people and you continue to portray your self as a "progressive" and sleep well knowing you forced out African-Americans then I am going to refer to that candidate to a silly nickname.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #544 on: June 12, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »

You're not alone.

I like how the Liberals ignore the fact that his polices hurt the African-American community in South Bend but call me out for the silly nickname. I really could care less about his sexuality. If you are hurting communities of people and you continue to portray your self as a "progressive" and sleep well knowing you forced out African-Americans then I am going to refer to that candidate to a silly nickname.

they didnt realize him drinking 40s with black people isn't a good look either. Liberals aren't in touch with african americans the way they suggest
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #545 on: June 12, 2019, 05:40:36 PM »

You're not alone.

they didnt realize him drinking 40s with black people isn't a good look either. Liberals aren't in touch with african americans the way they suggest
Pete and other democrats are the embodiment of "how do you do fellow kids" meme when it comes to African-Americans and Latinos. I wonder when those communities will realize they are being used for electoral gain
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #546 on: June 12, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »

You're not alone.

Pete and other democrats are the embodiment of "how do you do fellow kids" meme when it comes to African-Americans and Latinos. I wonder when those communities will realize they are being used for electoral gain

I am Hispanic too, ya know. You don't need to intimately know another community of your political coalition to understand what they are looking to do alongside you. Ideally, you do want to understand them better, but it's not always the case, with this country being as geographically vast as it is diverse and divided.

Of course, at least I don't purport to understand the experiences of African-Americans in the mainland. As you can see, I'm not too familiar with all of the crap that has been thrown at them, but I respect them as equal human beings all the same, as I do anyone else who doesn't share my culture or my experiences.

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #547 on: June 12, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »

His campaign expects to raise north of $15M this quarter.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: June 12, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 08:16:58 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

You're not alone.

I love Pete because I am staunchly anti-progressive. Only someone like him could usurp Daddy Trump. Very disingenuous for a libertarian to attack someone for lacking progressive credentials however. Now stop disgracing the Italian race like a dimestore Michael Sorrentino.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #549 on: June 12, 2019, 11:05:38 PM »

You're not alone.

I love Pete because I am staunchly anti-progressive. Only someone like him could usurp Daddy Trump. Very disingenuous for a libertarian to attack someone for lacking progressive credentials however. Now stop disgracing the Italian race like a dimestore Michael Sorrentino.
I am a libertarian but I am very socially progressive and economically more to the left compared to my counter-parts. If you like Pete because he is "anti-progressive," you must either be really blind and really naive to the world around you and I feel sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies